Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

That is ingenious.

Find gels tough on my stomach on race day. Never have a problem during training, think it's the extra speed on the day. Took one gel and sucked on PowerBar gel shots for Rotterdam and worked out ok so might go with that strategy again. Ordered a FlipBelt yesterday. Heard they don't budge much but you never know until you test it yourself. My fuel belt for Dublin last year was a disaster, spent half the race adjusting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Picked up a pair of shorts in Decathlon (Kalenji) for a tenner a few years ago, they have a zipped pocket at the front and an elasticated one which has 3 loops for gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Have really gone off the gels in recent years, but will likely carry one or two in pockets in shorts. IIRC they hand out PowerBar gels on course - but again, it's been some 5-6 years since I last competed in this race.

*Edit*: yep, was still PowerBar last year.

What was it that made you go off the gels G? Do you use an alternative fuel source or just take your chances?

I've been really questioning the need for them myself recently, haven't touched one since DCM last year, although I will probably try one or two over the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Duanington wrote: »
    What was it that made you go off the gels G? Do you use an alternative fuel source or just take your chances?

I've been really questioning the need for them myself recently, haven't touched one since DCM last year, although I will probably try one or two over the next few weeks

I only use them during marathons now. either the runs are too short or I'm trying to train the body to operate without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Duanington wrote: »

I just find the benefits questionable. I feel they are as much a psychological crutch as a valid fuel source. I do my sessions with water and electrolytes only, so it's not a big step-up. My last two marathons were in Frankfurt, where I was able to deposit drink bottles, so I had two 500ml bottles with 50% Powerade / 50% water with half an electrolyte tablet. Probably only drank 500ml in total between the two bottles (plus some on course water). If I can get the Mrs Clown out on the course in Berlin, I'll do similar.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    I only use them during marathons now. either the runs are too short or I'm trying to train the body to operate without them.

Similar to myself so D - I suppose I'm questioning the need to load up on gels at all for the big day ( maybe 1 or 2 is the way to go)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Haven't taken a gel since DCM 2014 either. I was thinking of just using the sports drink provided on race day instead of gels but really not sure.

I'll probably go with gels again this time. Psychological or actual benefit, I don't want to leave it to chance on this race.

The most I've ever consumed during a marathon was four. I'd say most of the time I've used them too late if anything to have had any significant effect in time. Having said that, the psychological boost is not to be sniffed at. I reckon I'll try and come up with a schedule for Berlin, where (much like my fluid intake) I'll pop a gel well before I feel I actually need it.

I was reading the back of a packet of jelly cubes last night, could be an interesting cheaper alternative to gels at almost 70% carbs, anyone ever try?
    Typical Value As Prepared - Per 100g
    Energy: 1258kJ/296kcal
    Fat: 0.0g
    Carbohydrates: 68.5g
    of which sugars: 57.4g
    Protein: 5.5g
    Salt: 0.4g

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I was reading the back of a packet of jelly cubes last night, could be an interesting cheaper alternative to gels at almost 70% carbs, anyone ever try?
    The ice-cream is usually melted by the time you've covered 3-4 miles.

• Advertisement

The ice-cream is usually melted by the time you've covered 3-4 miles.

Depends which marathon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

I'm looking to run <3:10. If you ran 1:35 on that pig of a course/day, you should have no trouble whatever running sub-3:30.

Wow I would be entering a new dimension then. I am ambitious but also humble as in 2013 I had theorically the results for a Sub 3.45 in Dublin and I hit the wall finishing in 3:54 which remains my PB. I know that i didn't fuel properly back then. Again, Berlin is fast so i m eager to try To follow the 3:30 pacer....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The pacers in Berlin are notoriously erratic, may be worthwhile chekcing your own pace rather than blindly following the pacer, especially if it seems they are going too fast or too slow.

lmguillou wrote: »
    Wow I would be entering a new dimension then. I am ambitious but also humble as in 2013 I had theorically the results for a Sub 3.45 in Dublin and I hit the wall finishing in 3:54 which remains my PB. I know that i didn't fuel properly back then. Again, Berlin is fast so i m eager to try To follow the 3:30 pacer....

Humble is good. The marathon loves giving runners a good kicking. You ran 7.15 pace for 13 miles. 3:30 pace is 8 minutes per mile. You should have no bother doing that......if you've trained properly. That's always the caveat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I have been using high 5 gels - the ones that they were selling in aldi 20 for a tenner! What ever is in them gives me a kick almost instantly but only lasts for about a k or two. I generally will carry a belt shoved down over my hips .

I started carrying a 500ml bottle of water with me and now it's like a crutch but after each long run I find I'm getting more and more robotic - that is I keeping overusing a muscle in my neck then find it impossible to turn my head for days !

I was thinking of getting a belt were I can carry water but this seems ott?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I'm also running Berlin, ran 1:35 in rock n roll and am hoping for sub 3.20 in Berlin.., dcm last year was 3:27.., what milage are you folks up to now?

Looks like a change in sponsor for Energy drink/Gel for this year:

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/fluids-and-nutrition.html

Seems to be toxofit now, previously it was power bar.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Looks like a change in sponsor for Energy drink/Gel for this year:

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/fluids-and-nutrition.html

Seems to be toxofit now, previously it was power bar.
    Hmm... Taxofit... Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue! Think I'll do my own thing and just drink the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

quick feet wrote: »
    I'm also running Berlin, ran 1:35 in rock n roll and am hoping for sub 3.20 in Berlin.., dcm last year was 3:27.., what milage are you folks up to now?

first 20 miler due this wekend !:eek::eek:
    also doing the frank duffy 10miler as a speed session

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    first 20 miler due this wekend !:eek::eek:
    also doing the frank duffy 10miler as a speed session

FD and then a 20 miler in the one weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

FD and then a 20 miler in the one weekend?

will prob do the 20 miles monday or tuesday

I did say due.....!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I have been using high 5 gels - the ones that they were selling in aldi 20 for a tenner! What ever is in them gives me a kick almost instantly but only lasts for about a k or two. I generally will carry a belt shoved down over my hips .

I started carrying a 500ml bottle of water with me and now it's like a crutch but after each long run I find I'm getting more and more robotic - that is I keeping overusing a muscle in my neck then find it impossible to turn my head for days !

I was thinking of getting a belt were I can carry water but this seems ott?

There'll be plenty of water on the course don't forget - the thoughts of carrying water in a belt would drive me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Hmm... Taxofit... Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue! Think I'll do my own thing and just drink the water!

I thought some of those energy gels were making me see double, but it really was a pair of North Koreans finishing in 2:28 in Rio:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/08/670_211984.html

... with a pair of Germans ambling in at 2:45:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37105796

I'd nearly thrown my energy gels away until someone told me there'd be Estonian triplets yet to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I've clocked up 20 and 21.5m so far.. having a step back week in milage n using the fd10 as a tempo run.. probably repeat those distances the following 2 weeks before the taper..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is it marked in miles as well?

It wasn't in 2014. I'd read somewhere it would be marked every 2 miles but didn't notice any. Km markers were very prominent but I found it more useful to gauge pace via 5k splits which are (were) prominently marked with a balloon arch and timing mat.

Murph_D wrote: »
    It wasn't in 2014. I'd read somewhere it would be marked every 2 miles but didn't notice any. Km markers were very prominent but I found it more useful to gauge pace via 5k splits which are (were) prominently marked with a balloon arch and timing mat.

that's really interesting. I found myself musing the other day about timing the race as a series of 5ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

that's really interesting. I found myself musing the other day about timing the race as a series of 5ks.

Last year it was just km markers. A pace band showing 5k splits should do ya Dave. I run in miles, KMs and me dont compute, only for my pace band I wouldn't have run what I did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Water was also in cups in 2015 and difficult enough to master on the hoof!! I will be bringing a straw this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Is everyone looking forward to the taper??

Did some good running over the last week, feel like the training is coming together. Thinking of doing a 2 week taper instead of the usual 3. Will take it handy but do one last 20 miler 2 weeks before race day.

• Advertisement

Where's everybody staying? I'm staying slightly north of the Brandenburg Gate. Would be nice to arrange a meet-up spot. Couple of suggestions:

1) Immediately after the race: There'll be lots of beer/pretzel/bratwurst stands and picnic tables, just outside the exit area. Maybe we could line-up some non-running volunteers to grab a table, bring an Irish flag and meet up for a couple of post-race beverages to swap stories of victory in the face of adversity?

2) If the weather's nice, there's a pretty famous beer-garden called Prater Garden, that serves good German beer and food until 1am. There's a restaurant inside for heartier meals. It's about 3km away from the Brandenburg Gate (to use that as a reference landmark), but is well serviced by public transport.

3) If the weather's not so great, another pretty famous spot is the German bar/restaurant: Gambrinus. Hearty German fare and lots of local German beers. 1.7kms from Brandenburg Gate, and a couple of stops on the S1, S2, etc.

There are also a couple of (cringe) Irish bars, like the Oscar Wilde, which... well.... you know....exist... If you're that type of person.....

Advertisement