Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm staying on Alt-Moabit, just to the north of Tiergarten.

I'm not sure what you mean by nice weather? 10 degrees, overcast and a small bit of rain? I'm fine with those suggestions. No need to go to the Irish bars I don''t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Staying next to Friedrichstrase train station,Berlin mitte,unsure whether its north Berlin but apparently it's central enough.. hopefully its close enough to meet up with some of u lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm staying just north east of the Brandenburg Gate - maybe 2k or so away.

1) Immediately after the race: There'll be lots of beer/pretzel/bratwurst stands and picnic tables, just outside the exit area. Maybe we could line-up some non-running volunteers to grab a table, bring an Irish flag and meet up for a couple of post-race beverages to swap stories of victory in the face of adversity?

Great idea, good way to give the non runners some motivation for the day...organising the beer!

Love the idea of the beer garden too but I hate the idea of it being warm enough to entertain that idea :(

I've been Germany quite a few times but this is my first time to Berlin so I'm afraid I'm short on suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'm in the eurostars on Friedrichstrasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Prenzlauer Berg with Airbnb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

i am in the Titanic Gendarmarkt

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    i am in the Titanic Gendarmarkt

did that give you a sinking feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

davedanon wrote: »
    did that give you a sinking feeling?

hopefully not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

I'm in Radisson Blu, beside Berliner Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Staying in the holiday inn ! No idea where it is , I am assuming it's ok location wise ( booked by my running buddy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Anyone received their start card yet? Saw one the website that they are being emailed out at the beginning of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Hi folks, just wondering what milage people are getting up to this weekend on their long run? I
    I've hit 22 twice ,21 and 20 in the last 5 weeks, should I pull it back to maybe 15.?advice welcomed.. have been running 3/4 times a week now looking at sub 3.20

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

quick feet wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering what milage people are getting up to this weekend on their long run? I
    I've hit 22 twice ,21 and 20 in the last 5 weeks, should I pull it back to maybe 15.?advice welcomed.. have been running 3/4 times a week now looking at sub 3.20
    Hi QF I've planned 16 this weekend and have a target similar to yourself - did the same last year and went well!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

By the way Dublin Bus have a strike planned for Friday 23rd and Saturday 24th which is when I presume most of us are flying out. So make alternative arrangements and be prepared for heavy traffic.

paulers06 wrote: »
    Anyone received their start card yet? Saw one the website that they are being emailed out at the beginning of September.

No, not yet. Will give it a few days before gibbering panic sets in.

quick feet wrote: »

Have 14-16 on the plan for this weekend. Will probably do the 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dry and increasingly hot conditions are expected across Germany into late this week. High pressure will build to the east from Wednesday through Saturday, resulting in an extended period of dry weather. High temperatures on Wednesday will range from 24-27 C (75-80 F) from Stuttgart to Frankfurt and Cologne eastward to Dresden and Berlin.
    :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

...A cold front arriving on Sunday will bring an end to the unseasonable warmth...
    :);):D

and also unleash a round of showers and thunderstorms to end the weekend.
    :confused::eek:

Weather forecasts are accurate to within 24 hours and no further.

calm-taper.jpg

adrian522 wrote: »
    Weather forecasts are accurate to within 24 hours and no further.
    You cannot deny me my basic human right to fret unnecessarily about the weather. This is what running marathons is all about..

paulers06 wrote: »
    Have 14-16 on the plan for this weekend. Will probably do the 16.

I run my LSR stuff midweek and did 17 last night - still a hefty enough session to do this weekend too ( 18 odd miles), then the load eases off

• Advertisement

Dry and increasingly hot conditions are expected across Germany into late this week. High pressure will build to the east from Wednesday through Saturday, resulting in an extended period of dry weather. High temperatures on Wednesday will range from 24-27 C (75-80 F) from Stuttgart to Frankfurt and Cologne eastward to Dresden and Berlin.
    :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

...A cold front arriving on Sunday will bring an end to the unseasonable warmth...
    :);):D

and also unleash a round of showers and thunderstorms to end the weekend.
    :confused::eek:

So its not just me ? Excellent

Start Pass email arrived there now!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Start Pass email arrived there now!

sh*t just got real...

I just pointlessly checked the berlin weather forecast for the first time today also. Saw a figure of 31 degrees mentioned for the 17th!!!! I also know that weather forecasts are only accurate for a couple of days at most.

Despite this I am still gibbering in fear.

Just got my 'Start Card'. Seems odd that they would include your marathon PB on your Start Card, no? Also their maths are a bit screwy. They have me classed as M45, which is quite offensive as I won't be part of that category until three months after the race is finished. So much for German precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just got my 'Start Card'. Seems odd that they would include your marathon PB on your Start Card, no? Also their maths are a bit screwy. They have me classed as M45, which is quite offensive as I won't be part of that category until three months after the race is finished. So much for German precision.

Must be using the Kenyan birth cert system

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Must be using the Kenyan birth cert system
    What are you doing on this thread? Geroudahere!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What are you doing on this thread? Geroudahere!

Less of that or you may not make it back out of Wicklow safely at the weekend :p

Just checked email. It was in the Promotions folder.

• Advertisement

How busy does the expo get? I've to collect my number on Saturday, what would be the best time to go out there?

I was thinking about doing the breakfast run and then going straight to the expo from there but that is probably the busiest time of all. Would I be better off leaving it to the afternoon?

Advertisement