Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    How busy does the expo get? I've to collect my number on Saturday, what would be the best time to go out there?

I was thinking about doing the breakfast run and then going straight to the expo from there but that is probably the busiest time of all. Would I be better off leaving it to the afternoon?
    Better off leaving it until Friday. :) If you don't mind long, stressful, irate queues full of Germans (known for their patience), then Saturday afternoon will be fine. I'll be going shortly after getting off the plane on Friday to avoid the rush. Don't want to spend the day on my feet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not getting in until late Friday so not really an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

How busy does the expo get? I've to collect my number on Saturday, what would be the best time to go out there?

I was thinking about doing the breakfast run and then going straight to the expo from there but that is probably the busiest time of all. Would I be better off leaving it to the afternoon?

Both years I was there I went on Saturday morning- t'was pretty manic but I just got in and out. The merchandise stalls were packed so if you're not interested you can duck out a side exit near the back of the hall where you collect your race pack (they're not official exits but there were plenty of people using them). These exits bring you onto the runway area (the exhibit centre is an old airport) and saves you battling the crowds again on the way out. When you're outside there are some other stalls with food etc. They usually have a kids race around part of the runway. So there is a bit of a buzz if you want to get some grub and soak up the atmosphere. Personally I just got out of Dodge! Marathon expo's are no place for marathon runners the day before a marathon;)

Not getting in until late Friday so not really an option for me.
    We're all different - but personally, I'd skip the breakfast run, have a lie-in if you can, or get in and out of the expo. Go for a jog around the Tiergarten in the afternoon, when they're setting up the start/finish area for the marathon. It'll raise the hackles / excitement. It's quite an experience. Also worth running from the Brandenburg Gate to the finish line. At some point everybody fools themselves into thinking the Brandenburg Gate is the finish line!
    sideswipe wrote: »
    These exits bring you onto the runway area (the exhibit centre is an old airport) and saves you battling the crowds again on the way out.
    Not any more! The expo has moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Not any more! The expo has moved.

Whoops! Probably a good thing - it was quite a restrictive building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Many people arriving on Friday? When are you all going home?

I've just been down the Cycle Superstore to pick up a few gels, and bought some of these new (to me) Xtreme Isogels, with 100mg of caffeine.

I'm not getting into PED territory here, am I? Gonna try one out in advance on sunday, for safety's sake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davedanon wrote: »
    Many people arriving on Friday? When are you all going home?

I'm staying until Tuesday morning.
    I've just been down the Cycle Superstore to pick up a few gels, and bought some of these new (to me) Xtreme Isogels, with 100mg of caffeine.

I'm not getting into PED territory here, am I? Gonna try one out in advance on sunday, for safety's sake.

How many gels do you plan to take? I'd keep an eye on your total caffeine intake as some people can have a bad reaction if they take too much.

I bought 4, so I'll have 3 with me for the marathon.

I think the ones I have are 30-40mg of caffeine and I'd take 3 or 4 of those during the race, probably enough for me given I'd have coffee in the morning as well.

• Advertisement

I'll test one this weekend, and based on that I might take a couple of standard caffeine isos with me as insurance, in case the caffeine levels do start to spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Arriving Friday myself - hoping to get the expo stuff sorted out on the Friday too.

Flying home on the Wednesday .

Did people decide on a post run boozer yet?

Jaysus. 4/5 night stays! Are people going on a massive bender, or just hoping to do a bit of sight-seeing?

I'd love to explore Berlin comprehensively, but just didn't think a marathon trip was the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Jaysus. 4/5 night stays! Are people going on a massive bender, or just hoping to do a bit of sight-seeing?

I'd love to explore Berlin comprehensively, but just didn't think a marathon trip was the right time.

I'm hoping to get to see a good bit of the place on the Monday\Tuesday - not planning on walking a lot in the days after the marathon but a tour bus on the Monday and maybe a gentle cycle on the Tuesday might still be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Fly in early Saturday, do marathon, get pissed on 4 weisbeer, bed, fly out Monday morning!!

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Fly in early Saturday, do marathon, get pissed on 4 weisbeer, bed, fly out Monday morning!!

Yup, that's my itinerary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Arriving early Saturday and flying out Wednesday. Have high hopes of touring the city but will probably end up like Rotterdam - me being miserable, body broken down, cold, mouth ulcers, hobbling around and falling asleep in any building with a chair. At least I'll be wearing a shiny medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Arring early Friday so will get the expo out of the way then. General panic, anxiety and paranoia is the plan for Saturday. Marathon Sunday. Fly home early Monday.

This day, two weeks from now:

(technically two hours ago, but who's counting?).

(technically two hours ago, but who's counting?).

You?

• Advertisement

Been perusing the Berlin weather. I know it's unreliable, but the latest long-range forecast take us up to Friday 23rd, and one thing I notice is that the period from dawn until noon is consistently the coolest part of the day. Even the nighttime period seems to be warmer. There's a big disparity too between the lows and highs for any given day. Temperatures seem to routinely climb 8-9 degrees between 10 in the morning and later in the evening. That's evidently why the nights are so warm. It takes until dawn for things to cool down again. So, in a nutshell, disregard the highs to a certain extent. All we need is for something in between 10/14 degrees from 6-12am, and we're set fair.

Today is my first non-running day since last April (since way before I started training for this marathon), because of a hamstring strain. Thankfully this one time, I had the wisdom to pull the plug on the session I had just started, so hopefully a day or two off the feet and some massage this evening will sort it out. Running becomes such a crutch that last evening I spent hours just mulling over different options I had for getting alternative exercise (even though I'd done 5 miles at lunch-time before pulling the plug). I have to keep reminding myself that the work is done. All that matters now is getting to the start line fit and healthy. I should get it tattoo'ed on my hand. i don't like tapering. :(

Today is my first non-running day since last April (since way before I started training for this marathon), because of a hamstring strain. Thankfully this one time, I had the wisdom to pull the plug on the session I had just started, so hopefully a day or two off the feet and some massage this evening will sort it out. Running becomes such a crutch that last evening I spent hours just mulling over different options I had for getting alternative exercise (even though I'd done 5 miles at lunch-time before pulling the plug). I have to keep reminding myself that the work is done. All that matters now is getting to the start line fit and healthy. I should get it tattoo'ed on my hand. i don't like tapering. :(

Sorry to hear about your hamstring Krusty, hopefully a couple of days rest will sort you out. I'm not totally loving the taper myself. I always look forward to it and then freak out when it finally arrives!

Is it time to nail our times to the mast? If someone could kindly get the table going as I suck at all things table

Paulers06 3.38.51(PB) 3.35.00(Goal)

I think the slackening off in mileage sort of 'encourages' the body to go "alright! a bit of a rest, at last". And then it does a 'systems check', and you start getting the aches and pains and the accumulated tiredness seems to come to a head.

Name|PB|Goal|Race Number
    Paulers06|3:38:51|3:35:00|
    Krusty_Clown|2.33.07|2:29:59|11785

Thanks Krusty

Name|PB|Goal|Race Number
    Paulers06|3:38:51|3:35:00|41842

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

http://scienceofrunning.com/2014/07/why-tapering-can-be-dangerous-thing.html

Name|PB|Goal|Race Number
    davedanon|3:14:18|3:09:59|30835

Name|PB|Goal|Race Number
    adrian522|3:49:23|3:29:59|27203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Name|PB|Goal|Race Number
    adrian522|3:49:23|3:29:59|27203