Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 or 10 in new gaming PC build?

Options
  • 27-10-2015 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all
    Should hopefully be putting together my first gaming PC in the next few days. Thanks to everyone here who helped with suggestions.

I have a license key for Windows 7 Enterprise (from work) that I was intending to use. Would I be better off just making the jump to Windows 10, or would it be better to wait a while longer?

Windows 7 Enterprise is not eligible for a free upgrade to 10, so I would have to buy a license key. I checked Reddit and it's about $45 so not the end of the world if I have to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Like wizard said. Directx 12 will be windows 10 exclusive. That said.

I'm on windows 7 and no big rush to move yet. If I were you, you'd be super sexy and dynamic.

Use your free windows 7 till the time comes that games you actually want to play fully utilise the other os and make a big difference . in the mean time keep your eye out adverts.Ie for a legit cd copy of windows cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I'd say go with Windows 10. Works great on old and new games, plus the added future-proofing with DirectX 12.
    Also, the new Xbox One wireless controller adapter only works with Windows 10.

I'd recommend following this guide, if you are concerned about privacy with 10; https://fix10.isleaked.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

For a serious work PC i'd stick with Windows 7 for now, but for gaming, I'd go windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Windows 10 is $45 on Reddit, but Windows 7 is €22. Might be worth picking up Windows 7, and while it's still eligible, upgrade that licence to windows 10 for free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moon54 wrote: »
    I'd recommend following this guide, if you are concerned about privacy with 10; https://fix10.isleaked.com/

^ This is pretty much the beginning and the end of the discussion for the concerned citizens and tinfoil-hat-wearers among us. Yes, MS are being underhand twatbags. Yes, MS have been pulling this for a very long time now. This is nothing new, just a little more overt and obtrusive than before.

If you have a genuine concern over privacy, learn how to mitigate the issues and show others the resources that can help them with this. Don't simply SCREAM IN ALLCAPS about the issue, as I'll simply assume that you do not have a genuine concern and are simply trolling. You're certainly not helping sort the issue - there's no need for this kind of carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Windows 10 is $45 on Reddit, but Windows 7 is €22. Might be worth picking up Windows 7, and while it's still eligible, upgrade that licence to windows 10 for free.

And neither W7 nor W10 license from Reddit is legal. The upgraded Windows 10 from that W7 Reddit license won't be legal either. If you want illegal software you might as well save your €22 or €45...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

Pizzle wrote: »
    Hi all
    Should hopefully be putting together my first gaming PC in the next few days. Thanks to everyone here who helped with suggestions.

I have a license key for Windows 7 Enterprise (from work) that I was intending to use. Would I be better off just making the jump to Windows 10, or would it be better to wait a while longer?

Windows 7 Enterprise is not eligible for a free upgrade to 10, so I would have to buy a license key. I checked Reddit and it's about $45 so not the end of the world if I have to do it.

I have a Professional hacker (He works at HP so he isn't breaking in to the pentagon or anything like that! I hope!!! :-/) and he tries to "Break" into or past windows machines. With the information he has emailed/messaged/or put on face book he has advised me, or any one with any kind of concern over privacy issues to steer clear of windows 10. Also, MS have released several "Optional Updates" for windows 7/8/and 8.1 that add all the spy-ware functions in windows 10.

3xw(DOT)techworm(DOT)net
    (Slash = / ) 2015/08/new-windows-788-1-updates-spy-on-you-just-like-windows-10 (DOT) html (Replace the words in brackets with the symbols and follow the link, I must warn you that you will get a LOT of adverts!)

This is a post listing most of the updates. But if you have any concerns over privacy issues I personally would go and use the win7 Enterprise edition key, and wait until a lawsuit is bought against MS for spying on their users. Or the longer version is wait until MS fixes their ****! I wouldn't hold my breath for that! :-) OR! learn Linux... if you play games, there is even a version from "STEAM".

Have a good one!

Advertisement