Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

It's a real Shakespearean tragedy at this point. One undelivered promise after another.
    I don't buy the idea that just because this is publicly-funded (in part) that it should or would be necessarily any slower than a privately-funded project. That being said, I am confident that if O'Callaghan or Cleary were behind this, they would be at least half built by now.

I second that Mr Tea, the two developers are exactly that, developers !!! They would have this humming along, their track record speaks for itself. Also the public money/public servant involvement is not an impediment in this case imo, the lack of details,plans, start dates, serious progress has been.
    Public money certainly hasnt slowed down Pairc Ui Caoimh that much.
    Im looking forward to the next Echo/Examiner story to keep this continuing soap opera truddling along, when Corks hopes of a decent venue is pushing up more daisies than the site itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Im looking forward to the next Echo/Examiner story to keep this continuing soap opera truddling along, when Corks hopes of a decent venue is pushing up more daisies than the site itself.

Here you go, from Eoin English in the Examiner and Echo
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/public-statement-demanded-on-stalled-cork-event-centre/2564131/

P.lane78 wrote: »
    I second that Mr Tea, the two developers are exactly that, developers !!! They would have this humming along, their track record speaks for itself.

That's a good point. When you look at the consortium behind this project, they are: (a) a drinks company, (b) a building contractor, (c) a live music management company. None of these are 'developers' and we shouldn't really have had any confidence in any or all of them developing a large, multi-use site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Good to see calls coming for an update, hard to believe 9months has passed since the sod turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

9 months?! Seriously like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Its not like we're missing much, maybe Disneys frozen "on ice" its not like a children's hospital where public money is been used and as far as I know there's nothing happening 7+yrs later, take it easy lads and lassies, it'll be built when its built its not the end of the world, its taken so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

farmerjj wrote: »
    take it easy lads and lassies, it'll be built when its built its not the end of the world, its taken so long.
    It's a major piece of infrastructure that would boost visitors and business to the city, impacting jobs and city finances.
    Not the end of the World (nobody has stated that), but certainly a concern that it's delay after delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

farmerjj wrote: »
    Its not like we're missing much, maybe Disneys frozen "on ice" its not like a children's hospital where public money is been used and as far as I know there's nothing happening 7+yrs later, take it easy lads and lassies, it'll be built when its built its not the end of the world, its taken so long.

Is that you Simon? :p

Seriously, it is a cornerstone of this city making itself into a world-class destination and a proper counterbalance to Dublin in terms of arts/culture/music/theatre. This has been needed in Cork for decades, never mind months, so you can excuse the concern espoused by members of this forum, myself included, at the continuing delays and heel-dragging that is going on.

Simon Coveney giving us a cast-iron (not) guarantee in the Irish Times today. Two years he has been coming out with the same bullsh*t.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coveney-confident-50m-cork-event-centre-will-proceeed-1.2867155?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Just a few more weeks.

#InCoveneyWeTrust

• Advertisement

Surely the whip can be cracked here despite being a semi-private undertaking

i.e. Cork city council, who I read today are looking to sort over €1.6m of a deficit - give a deadline for this to start before pulling their €8m - which could be better served for actual, active projects in the city.

Just seems to be ambling along here with Simon stating it'll all come along in a couple of weeks which then buys him 3/4 months before people kick up again. It's turning into Groundhog day with this

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

D'Agger wrote: »

i.e. Cork city council, who I read today are looking to sort over €1.6m of a deficit - give a deadline for this to start before pulling their €8m - which could be better served for actual, active projects in the city.

Just seems to be ambling along here with Simon stating it'll all come along in a couple of weeks which then buys him 3/4 months before people kick up again. It's turning into Groundhog day with this

Agreed. The project partners seem very disinterested and have gone very quiet. If they want €20 million public funding, they should state their interest.

D'Agger wrote: »

A deadline should have been a part of this project from the start. Unfortunately, it may be hard to introduce one at this point.
    The developers (and Simon Coveney) should be asked to deliver by January or the money goes elsewhere. There are plenty of good projects in health, education, etc. that could do with 20 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

sxi3ZDE.png

...and the saga rolls on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

At this stage i am expecting that the apartments will be built but the Events Centre will not.

The political excuse will be that the recent Labour court decision to give the Gardai that raise means the funds are no longer available.

Actually i imagine the entire site will become apartment blocks.

CHealy wrote: »
    Just a few more weeks.

#InCoveneyWeTrust

I would seriously not like to be waiting for a house, relying on Simon Coveney to deliver anything, let alone an event centre. Come on lads 20 million of the 50 is public money already on the table. Where are Bam , live nation, Enda. Simon doing local media work to secure the core vote. A totally shambles.... maybe we could start a Trump esque chant in typical jock style "Build the centre, build the centre " :D

More stories in the (Cork-based) papers again today and it's been heavily discussed on local radio.
    There was a piece in the Irish Times during the week about the event centre but you have to wonder why this hasn't become a national issue. Same old story of Cork not being covered on RTE, etc.
    If this was happening in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wonder how on earth we were capable of large scale building projects before without stuffing them up?

Everything now is either cancelled, over budget or a cheap ass Aldi version of whatever was first planned.

I wonder how on earth we were capable of large scale building projects before without stuffing them up?

Everything now is either cancelled, over budget or a cheap ass Aldi version of whatever was first planned.

because it was all done in house, so to speak.

No wonder progress is slow ...look who the developers have on site. What could possibly go wrong

• Advertisement

Any movement on this? Things seem to have ground to a complete halt again.

Have we lost all hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Any movement on this? Things seem to have ground to a complete halt again.

Have we lost all hope?

The rats are quite happy at the lack of development and being left to their own devices for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Those damned internal designs are taking all the time.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The rats are quite happy at the lack of development and being left to their own devices for the foreseeable.

By 'rats' do you mean 'rats' or...? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Looks like the inec in Killarney will have no competition for at least another decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

More plans submitted by bam reduced retail from 2600 to 600 increased apartments etc on examiner today.

ofcork wrote: »
    More plans submitted by bam reduced retail from 2600 to 600 increased apartments etc on examiner today.

So it's just going to be apartments eh? Probably lost the cinema that was promised in the development as well.

Not seeing anything on the examiner site or echo either

Can we look to get a few mails into the city council about this blatant piss taking out of the tax payer?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

It sounds a bit like the Capitol Cinema - generate a good vibe about the development with Food element and then quietly shelve that once you're ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

To be honest, I dont care how many appartments they want to build in there. In fact, it means more people living in the city centre, which can only be a good thing.
    I want the Event Centre built, as planned. Everything else is a side issue.

Advertisement