Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Demolition going on yesterday could see it from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

if the archaeoligists make an important discovery then more hold ups ,also the renewal of planning etc ,this whole project could be a long way of starting , not to mention the grants and coveneys and kennys sod turning disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

shafty100 wrote: »
    if the archaeoligists make an important discovery then more hold ups ,also the renewal of planning etc ,this whole project could be a long way of starting , not to mention the grants and coveneys and kennys sod turning disaster

Take it as a given that the archaeologists will make an important discovery, the original city walls are under that site.
    The exact same thing happened when the car park on the opposite side of the street was going to be developed around 10 years ago, the archaeologists were on site there for around 2 years.
    As i said it was going to be developed, look at it now, it is still a car park.

The developer pays for the archaeologists.

Car park is making a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If they're aware of the city walls being there and the potential hold up, then why was this site deemed suitable for funding by the City Council when the Docks was the alternative. I'm sure we discussed it here around the time but it seems dodgy that the B&C site was selected in the first place

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Car park is making a killing.

Pity they cannot make a few bob out of the fresh air above the car park though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The decision on the planning permission for adding more student apartments to the site and other changes is due on the 11 of January. So, more waiting. You'd wonder what would happen if it is refused. The developers go off with their tails between their legs and say that the event centre is then no longer commercially viable? They really have the City Council over a barrel on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The decision on the planning permission for adding more student apartments to the site and other changes is due on the 11 of January. So, more waiting. You'd wonder what would happen if it is refused. The developers go off with their tails between their legs and say that the event centre is then no longer commercially viable? They really have the City Council over a barrel on this one.

It won't be refused though. The City Council have requested Further Information. The changes will be granted I am sure.

Would like to be a fly on the wall at that meeting - surely the City Council are starting to worry about how fúcking terrible this looks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Tick tock tick tock...

Every damn day we are losing money to Dublin and Killarney because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another year, and little or no progress. Should be pulled officially at this stage to avoid the ongoing charade that something is actually going to happen. What a complete farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Ah remember the count down to last new years day 2016 with Coveney's promise of spades in the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Ah remember the count down to last new years day 2016 with Coveney's promise of spades in the ground!

Forget about this everybody , this is not happening ..coveney is too busy providing rapid housing which are slower than traditional build and enda thinks Cork should be happy with the Dublin motorway and no more ...What an absolute joke ...Where is the public money sitting, move on and give it to Owen o Callaghan ...The man with the proven record ...Maybe we should change the thread to cork student accommodation centre , because that's all is happening here ...

He delivered though, did you miss the turning of the sod?? :pac:

They need to admit this is dead in the water & figure out where else to pipe valuable funds for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Surely there must be some issues between BAM and Live Nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Unless those of you who are stating with absolutely certainty that the Event Centre will not progress have some genuine inside information on this, then maybe you should give all the negativity a break for a while.
    Personally, I would rather they get it right, than charge ahead and make a balls of it.
    There is an update due in Jan-17. Hopefully, we will get some good news in the next few weeks.

Meursault wrote: »
    Unless those of you who are stating with absolutely certainty that the Event Centre will not progress have some genuine inside information on this, then maybe you should give all the negativity a break for a while.
    Personally, I would rather they get it right, than charge ahead and make a balls of it.
    There is an update due in Jan-17. Hopefully, we will get some good news in the next few weeks.

Getting it right and getting it built are not mutually exclusive. They have had five years to get it right. That's not what's stalling this process.

Alf Smiddy (used to be head of Beamish and Crawford before it got sold to Heineken) has been speaking to the Examiner about the delay in getting started with the Event Centre.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/people-deserve-update-on-53m-event-centre-says-ex-brewery-chief-437529.html
    More of the same really but the more fuss that gets kicked up, the quicker we'll get some sort of (hopefully positive) news here.

Well maybe by 31St January we will know more.

Alf Smiddy (used to be head of Beamish and Crawford before it got sold to Heineken) has been speaking to the Examiner about the delay in getting started with the Event Centre.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/people-deserve-update-on-53m-event-centre-says-ex-brewery-chief-437529.html
    More of the same really but the more fuss that gets kicked up, the quicker we'll get some sort of (hopefully positive) news here.

Sorry but he lost all credibility from me when he disregarded what the experts recommended and decided to tell the Government it was best to amalgamate Cork City and County Councils.

• Advertisement

A person close to the builders on this project told me this evening that a statement is going to be made at the start of next week basically saying that the event centre is not viable in its current form and that the site will be redeveloped in a different way.
    Presumably that means handing back (or not drawing down) the 20 million.
    IF this correct (and i'll wait and see what comes of it), this would seem like the end of any hopes for an event centre in Cork for a long time to come.

A person close to the builders on this project told me this evening that a statement is going to be made at the start of next week basically saying that the event centre is not viable in its current form and that the site will be redeveloped in a different way.
    Presumably that means handing back (or not drawing down) the 20 million.
    IF this correct (and i'll wait and see what comes of it), this would seem like the end of any hopes for an event centre in Cork for a long time to come.

If true, not a major surprise. I had high hopes for the original plans as it would regenerate the whole South Main Street area in a way that the Albert Quay option didn't.

Now we're getting nothing but student accomodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

If true, not a major surprise. I had high hopes for the original plans as it would regenerate the whole South Main Street area in a way that the Albert Quay option didn't.

Now we're getting nothing but student accomodation!

My view was that it could only happen with the Albert Quay project. When the South Main St. bid won, I expected this outcome.

My view was that it could only happen with the Albert Quay project. When the South Main St. bid won, I expected this outcome.

It's Not the location that's the issue though.

Well yes, Live Nation are the elephant in the room in regards to the project.

They should have awarded this to Owen O Callaghan, a proven developer who actually goes and does what he plans.

It will take FG a long time to recover from this in Cork, not to mention Coveney.

kub wrote: »
    They should have awarded this to Owen O Callaghan, a proven developer who actually goes and does what he plans.

It will take FG a long time to recover from this in Cork, not to mention Coveney.

Disagree. The issue is the operator not the developer. Owen O Callaghan would not have had any more success in forcing live nation into this deal than BAM. If the project wasn't viable it wasn't viable.

Coveney looks bad in all of this though. Promising things he couldn't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

mire wrote: »
    Disagree. The issue is the operator not the developer. Owen O Callaghan would not have had any more success in forcing live nation into this deal than BAM. If the project wasn't viable it wasn't viable.

Coveney looks bad in all of this though. Promising things he couldn't deliver.

Coveney and FG were willing to take the kudos at the sod turning farce last year, so he should be held partly responsible for all of this.

So, was there any buy-in at any stage from Live Nation, or was that just more bullsh*t.

We should known better anyway. The vast majority of developments announced for cork never see light of day. I'm especially gutted about this one though, if it turns out to be true. It would have made a huge difference to cork.

As much as I hate their parochial approach to politics, we could do with a cork equivalent to the Healy Raes. We are so poorly represented. We should be holding all of these politicians to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fact that no contracts were ever signed was pretty telling that this wasn't going to happen. I still hope it actually happens but I must say I'm very doubtful at this stage.

As for Coveney, he'll come up with some excuses, blame everyone else and by the time the election comes around he'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

kub wrote: »

O'Callaghan had the opportunity to build an events centre in Mahon Point and it was used as the main reason to grant Planning (bit like how the capitol was going to do wonders for gourmet Cork but this was then changed after planning approval ). However he balked at it and paid a few million as a penalty and never looked back.

Advertisement