Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Is'nt much hope so for Cork.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

opus wrote: »

Had to dig out that pic again....

BAM-.jpg

Feckin joke, isn't it.
    Coveney still saying that day was the start of the process. Just a massive coincidence it was a few days before the election. Who's he trying to fool?

Also in one of those articles it says if the government are to put in another €10m they'll want to see plans, timelines etc.. Think they should have looked for that before the sod turning ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Feckin joke, isn't it.
    Coveney still saying that day was the start of the process. Just a massive coincidence it was a few days before the election. Who's he trying to fool?

Also in one of those articles it says if the government are to put in another €10m they'll want to see plans, timelines etc.. Think they should have looked for that before the sod turning ffs!

Coveney talks of the sod-turning as a sort of act of faith in the project. If they hadn't all got together to turn a sod, how would people know that they were all so committed and serious?
    In fairness, it's the best possible spin he can put on it and I even find myself almost believing it (not quite though). Over the last year or so all parties seem to have come to regret that photo was ever taken.
    Who knows, in a few weeks time he could be Taoiseach. And his event centre will still be a pile of rubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Coveney talks of the sod-turning as a sort of act of faith in the project. If they hadn't all got together to turn a sod, how would people know that they were all so committed and serious?
    In fairness, it's the best possible spin he can put on it and I even find myself almost believing it (not quite though). Over the last year or so all parties seem to have come to regret that photo was ever taken.
    Who knows, in a few weeks time he could be Taoiseach. And his event centre will still be a pile of rubble.

We'll see. Some people conveniently forget that the entire project has changed considerably since this time last year. Since then, Heineken have been bought out by BAM, the event centre configuration has had to be redesigned, the costings increased requiring more State aid (which has been granted), and most importantly, the amount of Office space reduced to be replaced by more Student accommodation, requiring the designs to go back through the planning process.

My only fear is that it doesn't start before the next General Election, in which case, if Fianna Fail get back in, we will see further corruption, a 1,500 capacity "event centre" built at the back of some farmer's land in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Mumha wrote: »
    We'll see. Some people conveniently forget that the entire project has changed considerably since this time last year. Since then, Heineken have been bought out by BAM, the event centre configuration has had to be redesigned, the costings increased requiring more State aid (which has been granted), and most importantly, the amount of Office space reduced to be replaced by more Student accommodation, requiring the designs to go back through the planning process.

How could we conveniently forget things that were only announced in the last 3 months?

How could we conveniently forget things that were only announced in the last 3 months?

Because it suits their agenda ? Let's see how this plays out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Because it suits their agenda ? Let's see how this plays out first.

The point is that these difficulties and changes have only been announced in the last couple of months, breaking the silence and inertia of the previous 12 months.

The point is that these difficulties and changes have only been announced in the last couple of months, breaking the silence and inertia of the previous 12 months.

If that were the only reason, fine, but when you have the likes of the Lord Mayor of Cork still saying that O'Callaghan's bid should have won, you have to wonder about the hidden agendas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

If that were the only reason, fine, but when you have the likes of the Lord Mayor of Cork still saying that O'Callaghan's bid should have won, you have to wonder about the hidden agendas out there.

The Lord Mayor subsequently withdrew that silly and let's be honest unfounded comment. The issue is nothing to do with the developer or the location, that's nonsense. I don't subscribe to the notion of hidden agendas in this case. There's wheeling and dealing and it's painfully slow. But hopefully it'll work out.

• Advertisement

Meeting today between BAM and the city council. Update here if you hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Work could start in September if given €12 million,

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/833744604017070081

calnand wrote: »
    Work could start in September if given €12 million,

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/833744604017070081

could?
    Could??
    COULD???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah this is finished....never going to happen now. Another €12m and even then work "could" start in September!! All over folks barring a miracle at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

On the 9 o clock news now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Same builders who have the new children's hospital...God help us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bad form from Theo cullinane to duck off after the meeting knowing rte were waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

This whole thing has been a series of ducking and diving by all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I'm not surprised by the over-run in costs, but I cannot believe that Live Nation were not consulted when they were designing the building. They wasted millions designing an event centre that was not fit for purpose.
    There's no point in demanding that it be moved to Albert Quay at this stage. We would be back to square one, with planing permission required, etc. There would also be a legal challenge from BAM. Besides, I believe O'Callaghan has made plans for new offices down on albert quay anyway. 
    I think the government should hand over the extra €12m under the proviso that work begin immediately. It is a revenue earner and they will get the money back. when you think of the billions wasted elsewhere in the country, €12m is a relatively small sum. 
    Coveney will be side tracked with the leadership challenge for the next few weeks, but hopefully he can convince Pascal O'Donoghue of the merits of investing more money in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Meursault wrote: »
    I'm not surprised by the over-run in costs, but I cannot believe that Live Nation were not consulted when they were designing the building. They wasted millions designing an event centre that was not fit for purpose.
    There's no point in demanding that it be moved to Albert Quay at this stage. We would be back to square one, with planing permission required, etc. There would also be a legal challenge from BAM. Besides, I believe O'Callaghan has made plans for new offices down on albert quay anyway. 
    I think the government should hand over the extra €12m under the proviso that work begin immediately. It is a revenue earner and they will get the money back. when you think of the billions wasted elsewhere in the country, €12m is a relatively small sum. 
    Coveney will be side tracked with the leadership challenge for the next few weeks, but hopefully he can convince Pascal O'Donoghue of the merits of investing more money in this.

Mods ...Can we close this thread because this clearly is not happening . Maybe open a new thread ...Massive student accommodation bonanza for cork city centre 😀

• Advertisement

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Mods ...Can we close this thread because this clearly is not happening . Maybe open a new thread ...Massive student accommodation bonanza for cork city centre 😀

Just when it's gonna get interesting? No way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Theo?...lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Call it a loan at the prevailing interest rate agree a completion date and add an extra % for every week the project isn't complete beyond this date.

Pascal O'Donoghue has already agreed to give the extra money.

Pascal O'Donoghue has already agreed to give the extra money.

What are we waiting for then? Seven months until September for money that we all know is going to be forthcoming anyway.

What are we waiting for then? Seven months until September for money that we all know is going to be forthcoming anyway.

You'll have to hunt Cullinane down to find the answer to that but the revised planning hasn't even come through yet, has it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

You'll have to hunt Cullinane down to find the answer to that but the revised planning hasn't even come through yet, has it ?

32 million euro ...Nice deal for bam in my opinion .....

32 million euro ...Nice deal for bam in my opinion .....

Completely agree. I got a bad feeling about them when I read elsewhere what b'stards they are to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The saga rumbles on, would be sad if one of the most important sites in town just gets turned into a huge student accommodation centre :(

BAM Gets Planning For More Student Apartments On Events Centre Site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Completely agree. I got a bad feeling about them when I read elsewhere what b'stards they are to deal with.
    You got that right.

Advertisement