Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

For 5-7000 people leaving at the same time. The 02 has minimum traffic aroumd it. Wide concourses. A luas bus and dart system. Parking in many centers and off street. The push into the city centre is diverse and the area has 17 entry and exit routes for cars and buses alike. Not even accounting for cruise ship access at port in summer months. Curremt event center would have 4 access and exit routes, 3 parking areas totalling just over 1500 cars ( dublin in comparison has 15600 within a mile radius of the 02), coupled with no luas. No dart and a failimg bus service. The footpaths are too narrow causing people more then 2 abreast to walk out on the road causing a dangerous scenario. The bottleneck cause a health and safety scenario and the fire safety issue is absolutely crippling, meaning you would possibly need a fire engine parked outside for every gig over a certain capacity. Absolute joke of an idea.
    For all the reasons above.

No idea of relevance of this

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

mire wrote: »

Reasons are why I alway thought it would never be built there and builders were mainly interested in getting as many apartments as they could in this very old part of the city .streets and footpaths in this area have remained the same size since the Vikings marked them out.

mire wrote: »

Reasons are why I alway thought it would never be built there and builders were mainly interested in getting as many apartments as they could in this very old part of the city .streets and footpaths in this area have remained the same size since the Vikings marked them out.

Read back on the thread. Reasons for non delivery of event centre had nothing whatsoever to do with footpaths widths. That's just nonsense. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Footpaths could be widened. Who knows, they may pedestrianise the street. I actually think that would be good, businesses wouldn't lose footfall as people would at the Event Centre and they could tie it up really nicely with Bishop Lucy Park, which I feel is underutilised. Listen to Ann Doherty 's interview from a few weeks ago on 96FM. The council are ready, BAM are ready, Live Nation are ready, the are just waiting on the government to give the final bit of funding. It sucks BAM didn't consult with Live Nation during the original design process, but there is nothing that can be done about that now so everyone just needs to focus and pray the government give the money (which I think will happen, there would be uproar if not). Also, the Event Centre is not comparable to Pairc Ui Chaoimh. The latter can hold 47,000 (?) for concerts. The former 6,000 or something. Most artists cannot sell out stadiums. Ed Sheeran can, I'm sure Justin Bieber could, Beyoncé maybe, Drake probably, Katy Perry at a stretch, and more than likely not this era. But regular artists (Arianna Grande, Shawn Mendes, Lorde, Ellie Goulding, etc) would not, especially not here. That's where the event centre comes in. That's also why it is a big deal when artists do stadium tours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Will never be built there. GAA will be very happy now.

link ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

They brought some rebar cages, presumably they will be used as a reinforcement during construction of diaphragm walls.
    Photo from about a week ago:
    35924115690_5d060a1233_b.jpgDSC07171 by Geogregor*, on Flickr

They're using the site AFAIK as a prep compound for the western road project

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

mire wrote:
    They're using the site AFAIK as a prep compound for the western road project

Yes as they did for The Capitol development and no doubt the old Government Buildings on Sullivan's Quay as well.
    This site is ideally situated actually all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Agreed, they are definitely using the site for work on the Western Road site. Will use it for Sullivan's Quay too as that will start before Event Centre even gets off the ground.
    I presume they are skating on very thin ice from a planning permission point of view but I'm sure nobody is going to kick up a fuss.
    It's a pity because the site now looks a complete mess. Hoardings are covered in graffiti. Rubbish everywhere and those tattered, faded advertisements hanging from the main brewery building really just add to the feeling of dereliction down there.

Agreed, they are definitely using the site for work on the Western Road site. Will use it for Sullivan's Quay too as that will start before Event Centre even gets off the ground.
    I presume they are skating on very thin ice from a planning permission point of view but I'm sure nobody is going to kick up a fuss.
    It's a pity because the site now looks a complete mess. Hoardings are covered in graffiti. Rubbish everywhere and those tattered, faded advertisements hanging from the main brewery building really just add to the feeling of dereliction down there.

You are right about then skating on thin ice. They do not have planning permission to use the site as a construction compound for remote developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I see JCD have applied for planning for an office development on the South Mall. I suppose Bam will get the job, as they usually do their work.

Very handy to have a site on South Main Street for the site offices etc, so that is Western Road, Sullivans Quay and now South Mall.

Seems the only Events on this site for the immediate future will be to facilitate other jobs around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

What is the Western Road project? I'm not aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Geogregor wrote: »

The all pervasive student apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Simon on with pj says its still going to happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

ofcork wrote: »
    Simon on with pj says its still going to happen!!

Get your tickets folks ...Simon says this is happening. Just like he said he would fix the housing situation ...poor blueshirt fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Geogregor wrote: »

Student accom, and an ugly looking brute of a development at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yup....design looks like a futuristic development from the 70's

http://www.3ddesignbureau.com/news/cork-welcomes-student-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Good christ that's an ugly building. Who would have thought that yellow , grey and brown would make for an ugly colour scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That is hideous
    Sitting on the terrace of River Lee looking at that eyesore... Uhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

That is hideous
    Sitting on the terrace of River Lee looking at that eyesore... Uhhh

Is that not still a building site?

• Advertisement

nyck04 wrote: »
    Is that not still a building site?

the hotel or the eyesore?
    (the eyesore is still a building site)

Any news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Any news on this?

I read somewhere that the Department will be making a decision in the next few weeks, I think they were waiting to see what the final costed price would be. Any discussion at this stage is just political football stuff until they announce that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

From d'Echo last week: http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Decision-due-on-extra-funds-for-Cork-event-centre-4071a7ec-a8aa-4ef7-a6dc-eb7a0ffbb9d8-ds

Doesn't seem to be any new news, just a state of play.

BAM upped their costs after Live Nation asked for more out of the centre, BAM requested extra funds, CorkCC put the request to the Dept, were asked for more info, provided more info and final decision will now be determined within the context of the Capital Plan review, due in the coming weeks ahead of the budget.

I think. I may have missed a step in there but that seems right.

I also think there's a decision on the An Bord Pleanala appeal on the apartments on the site due before the end of the month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

First week of October decision due on the apartments elements according to the echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The saga rumbles on:

Legal advice sought over request for extra €18m state aid request

More delays due to complex legal issues apparently. 19 months and counting since the sod was turned.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The saga rumbles on:

More delays due to complex legal issues apparently. 19 months and counting since the sod was turned.

I'm going to nail my colors to the mast finally: this is NOT going to happen. Repeated delays sound like powers that be and developers know that too and are playing for time. Perhaps to have backup plans for the site ready to go (offices, student accomodation, new city library, etc).
    It was fun while it lasted but no project can survive this many delays, arguments and dissapointments.
    Regardless of funding there must also be design changes and planning applications for a redesigned event centre. These have not been applied for. Why? Because this project is a dead duck.
    My guess? Partial extra funding will be approved allowing government to claim they did their bit. Developers will blame government saying the support wasn't there. Cork city council will claim they did their best and that library is a win for the city. In 12 months time we'll be looking at approval of planning for offices/student accom and library.

I'm going to nail my colors to the mast finally: this is NOT going to happen. Repeated delays sound like powers that be and developers know that too and are playing for time. Perhaps to have backup plans for the site ready to go (offices, student accomodation, new city library, etc).
    It was fun while it lasted but no project can survive this many delays, arguments and dissapointments.
    Regardless of funding there must also be design changes and planning applications for a redesigned event centre. These have not been applied for. Why? Because this project is a dead duck.
    My guess? Partial extra funding will be approved allowing government to claim they did their bit. Developers will blame government saying the support wasn't there. Cork city council will claim they did their best and that library is a win for the city. In 12 months time we'll be looking at approval of planning for offices/student accom and library.

I think it will still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

agree, but there will be room for a starbucks...tesco express and probably another Witherspoons.They should have stopped it about a year ago, but of course simple simon and kim yun kenny had to "keep the recovery going".

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The saga rumbles on:

I wonder do the legal issues revolve around such issues as re-tendering for the works considering the changes in scope/costs.
    Are we heading back to square one...

Advertisement