Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

nlrkjos wrote: »
    although it might spell the end for the Opera house, unless they can re-invent themselves with some competition to play against.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The Opera House holds a little over 1,000 I think. This event center is planned to be up around the 6000 mark. There's room for both to host different sized events. They will lose some of the bigger acts they get (such as The National, Nathan Carter) but there's not many of those and a bit more focus on live theatre will fill any void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

MrDerp wrote: »
    I'm hearing this too. Rumour has it Clearstream are moving from the airport business park into Navigation Square, and Ronan Daly Jermyn are moving back into town - the obvious location would seem to be the new development on the mall

Where did you hear that about Navigation Square? I read they are in detailed discussions with two ("major"?) tenants, so them plus one other (for Blocks A and B). Also, that would be great news for the development on the South Mall (fully/mostly occupied on completion). It would also make sense seeing as they are in City Gate Park, a John Cleary development. I really think JCD should scrap City Gate Plaza (which has hoardings have gone up but no construction yet) and replace it with housing - focus the offices on the city centre (with residential too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

This thing needs to have a bit of focus now, it will be one of the best things that will drive a rejuvenation of the city. We should not accept a compromised solution here, I can just see it now:
    - Events will have a curfew because of the co-located new residential units.
    - Events centre will be too small to attract the right events.

Really really want this to be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Government have offered an extra 10 million (not the 18 requested), according to the Examiner.
    So, 20 + 10 = 30 million of public funding now on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Meursault wrote: »
    I think it will still go ahead also. Coveney and FG would have washed their hands of it months ago otherwise. There will be an election in the next 12 months. If the Event Centre was a dead duck, they would want that news out of the way and forgotten about long ago.

Or maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

It would be a shame and a massive loss for Cork, if it were to fall apart over 12 - 18m. It is pittance, in the grand scheme of things, and it will also bring a lot of revenue to the city. The cost over run would be recovered within a few years.

I hate bringing these comparisons up, but if it was in Dublin they would have secured the extra funding long ago. All of these large infrastructure projects run over budget.

But do they normally go so far over-budget before construction starts though?

It smacks a bit of 'bait and switch'. Win the tender with one proposal and a low-cost, then change the proposal - twice - and up the cost substantially.

I'd absolutely love to see it built, but don't know if it's a good idea to reward incompetence (at best) or duplicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Government have offered an extra 10 million (not the 18 requested), according to the Examiner.
    So, 20 + 10 = 30 million of public funding now on the table.

BAM will decide in 3 or 4 weeks apparently. Yet another deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

who_me wrote: »
    But do they normally go so far over-budget before construction starts though?

It smacks a bit of 'bait and switch'. Win the tender with one proposal and a low-cost, then change the proposal - twice - and up the cost substantially.

I'd absolutely love to see it built, but don't know if it's a good idea to reward incompetence (at best) or duplicity.

To me this should make the tender null and void,. They won the tender based on one set of designs and figures, and as soon as they get it has to be changed and the required funding (government) goes up.

Wouldn't be impressed if I was one of the losing bidders...and legal challenges wouldnt surprise me even if its "only" 10 million extra.

Will there be mention of the events centre in the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Will there be mention of the events centre in the budget?

The official line from Dept of Public Expenditure has been that the funding would be decided in the context of the Capital Plan Review, which is due in a few weeks, not as part of tomorrow's budget speech.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it but y'never know, I guess? However, if Cork City Council only submitted the application for the extra funding last week, I'd be very surprised if a decision had been made since - presumably all the budget decisions were made before that, actually.

You know a project is really screwed when the entire cabinet comes to town and not one of them is allowed to mention the Event Centre. Things have clearly gone disastrously wrong.
    If this project was going ahead, they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have now given up on this. At least in that site. Hopefully someone with land in the Docklands decides to develop one sometime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Yeah, I have now given up on this. At least in that site. Hopefully someone with land in the Docklands decides to develop one sometime soon

But why would the project stack up any differently in the Docklands?The same viability issues arise.

I didn't expect any big announcement from gov't. The ball is in the developers court. Appears that there being offered €30,000,000 and they have to decide whether to proceed on that basis.

mire wrote: »
    But why would the project stack up any differently in the Docklands?The same viability issues arise.

I didn't expect any big announcement from gov't. The ball is in the developers court. Appears that there being offered €30,000,000 and they have to decide whether to proceed on that basis.

It's unlikely a developer will ever make the mistakes BAM made with this again (designing before Live Nation came on board). The costs would more likely be more accurate from the start which should help it go ahead smoother.

I would still love for it to go ahead on this site. Other than South Main Street being so tight I think it is very good, and would benefit the area a lot. However, I am no longer holding my breath on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

DylanGLC wrote: »
    mire wrote: »

It's unlikely a developer will ever make the mistakes BAM made with this again (designing before Live Nation came on board). The costs would more likely be more accurate from the start which should help it go ahead smoother.

I would still love for it to go ahead on this site. Other than South Main Street being so tight I think it is very good, and would benefit the area a lot. However, I am no longer holding my breath on it
    It seems like we'll know one way or another by the end of the year so not long left

I see part of the roof at the rear of the old brewery has caved in after yesterday's storms.
    One step away from following vernon mount and good shepherds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I see part of the roof at the rear of the old brewery has caved in after yesterday's storms.

Well BAM weren't getting around to it, so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mother nature has appealed to the government for more funding to complete the job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

One step away from following vernon mount and good shepherds now.

Yep, first the weather has a go at it...then one window broken...then the break-ins, rough sleepers...mysterious fire breaks out...and then the usual weeping and gnashing of teeth about someone should have had done something before it was reduced to smouldering rubble.

Any update on this?
    Can't believe this thread is still going to be honest. Should have been sorted long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I never expected a thread I started to last this long...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Fabio wrote: »

Unfortunately it has!

Very funny twitter 'parody' account
    @CorkEventCentre
    (search on twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Fabio wrote: »

I'd say there's plenty of life left in it yet, just like the whole event centre saga itself :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

The amount requested hasn't changed since the beginning of the year.

BAM requested an extra 18m months ago. They were offered an extra 10m.

There is no update since. The Evening Echo article doesnt shed any new light on the saga.

BAM appear to be considering their options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Meursault wrote: »

The amount requested hasn't changed since the beginning of the year.

BAM requested an extra 18m months ago. They were offered an extra 10m.

There is no update since. The Evening Echo article doesnt shed any new light on the saga.

BAM appear to be considering their options.
    Wasn't there some deadline on a decision from BAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unfortunately it has!

Very funny twitter 'parody' account
    @CorkEventCentre
    (search on twitter)

The joke is starting to ring a bit hollow now. If it happened to be in Dublin it would be 'national embarrassment' scale of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think a big issue with this is people expecting concrete updates regularly. Most of the articles from the Examiner and the Echo have just been re-stating the situation - nothing has changed.

A funding request went in, as expected, and the Department is considering it. That's it. All the statements and releases from the councils, the councillors or the TDs won't make any difference other than to get their names in the paper.

Until that is done, I can't imagine BAM or Live Nation will make any definitive decision one way or the other. And, all along, the Department has said the funding will be considered with the context of the Capital Review which hasn't been published.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the slow progress but, TBF, it is exactly that progress that was mapped out earlier this year. There hasn't been any additional setbacks or anything in recent months, despite the efforts to drum up that idea in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I think a big issue with this is people expecting concrete updates regularly. Most of the articles from the Examiner and the Echo have just been re-stating the situation - nothing has changed.

A funding request went in, as expected, and the Department is considering it. That's it. All the statements and releases from the councils, the councillors or the TDs won't make any difference other than to get their names in the paper.

Until that is done, I can't imagine BAM or Live Nation will make any definitive decision one way or the other. And, all along, the Department has said the funding will be considered with the context of the Capital Review which hasn't been published.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the slow progress but, TBF, it is exactly that progress that was mapped out earlier this year. There hasn't been any additional setbacks or anything in recent months, despite the efforts to drum up that idea in the media.

Exactly. Very frustrating for us all, but this is an article with absolutely nothing new to say. Typical nonsense from the Echo.

But, the sod was turned almost two years ago. In the real world that means that the thing should be almost built by now.
    People don't expect minute-by-minute updates. They do expect building to start within two years of a sod-turning. It's good to remind ministers, developers and council of that repeatedly and watch them squirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

But, the sod was turned almost two years ago. In the real world that means that the thing should be almost built by now.
    People don't expect minute-by-minute updates. They do expect building to start within two years of a sod-turning. It's good to remind ministers, developers and council of that repeatedly and watch them squirm.

water off a ducks back there I reckon, necks like a jockey's 8o11ox

as an aside, I wonder is there an element of "punishing" Cork after the most recent FG leadership contest. Isn't Humphries (Minister for Culture) ones of Leo's posse. Might be an auld email knocking around "Heather, slow down that cash application for the Cork Event Centre, Simon is looking like a right useless cnut over it. Hugs and kisses. Leo".

They're not going to let a Council dominated by lefties, Soldiers of Destiny and Shinners bring home a prestigious event centre...

Or Maybe my hat it too tight

Advertisement