Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

zetalambda wrote: »
    The Echo is more like a comic than a newspaper these days.

Back in the early 90s it was commonly referred to as the Beano.
    Nothing new, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Some activity happening at the Beamish site, excavators are working on the northern end of the site. Small digs at the moment, could be some investigation works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Some activity happening at the Beamish site, excavators are working on the northern end of the site. Small digs at the moment, could be some investigation works

The current development work does not include the events centre which remains in limbo awaiting a Government decision on further State funding.

Bam Property Ltd have instead begun construction of more than 400 student bedrooms on the northern section of the site, referred to as Zone A.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Construction-work-begins-on-former-Beamish-Crawford-site-06c3b062-0483-4fdf-8abd-1d3b64dcd0ed-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Limerick TD Patrick O'Donovan (Junior Minister in the Dept of Finance) talks about the EIB loan to Limerick 2030 (a Council owned company) and Michael Noonan's role.
    Addressing the audience, Mr O’Donovan said: “In his role as Minister for Finance, [...] some people might say he was greasing the parish pump as a local TD. If that's what it takes to deliver, I'll grease that parish pump too. I think what I have learnt is that your own area is the first and most important area and you have an obligation to look after it in government. Use that possibility and opportunity to deliver to your own first and foremost.”
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/283569/limerick-joins-record-books-as-european-banks-deliver-largest-ever-package-of-its-kind.html
    If only our Cork TD's had the same attitude about the Events Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

rebs23 wrote: »
    Limerick TD Patrick O'Donovan (Junior Minister in the Dept of Finance) talks about the EIB loan to Limerick 2030 (a Council owned company) and Michael Noonan's role.
    Addressing the audience, Mr O’Donovan said: “In his role as Minister for Finance, [...] some people might say he was greasing the parish pump as a local TD. If that's what it takes to deliver, I'll grease that parish pump too. I think what I have learnt is that your own area is the first and most important area and you have an obligation to look after it in government. Use that possibility and opportunity to deliver to your own first and foremost.”
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/283569/limerick-joins-record-books-as-european-banks-deliver-largest-ever-package-of-its-kind.html
    If only our Cork TD's had the same attitude about the Events Centre.

The HealyRaes are at it years, its rare you'll hear a Kerry man say a bad word about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cinema-dropped-from-Event-Centre-plans-as-Bam-move-ahead-with-the-next-phase-11d75e53-62f5-45a3-bb2f-ded292dfab14-ds

BAM is due to lodge plans with Cork City Council seeking permission to drop a seven-screen cinema from the Zone B section of the development.

Zone B is the centre section of the development encompassing the Counting House Building and the area behind it.

Section A is where the student accommodation is being constructed. Section C is where the Event Centre is planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

satanta99 wrote: »
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cinema-dropped-from-Event-Centre-plans-as-Bam-move-ahead-with-the-next-phase-11d75e53-62f5-45a3-bb2f-ded292dfab14-ds

BAM is due to lodge plans with Cork City Council seeking permission to drop a seven-screen cinema from the Zone B section of the development.

Zone B is the centre section of the development encompassing the Counting House Building and the area behind it.

Section A is where the student accommodation is being constructed. Section C is where the Event Centre is planned.

I don't know which is the bigger joke at this moment in time? The events centre location or BAM.

my gut tells me City Co should tell Bam take a step back and fcuk themselves, and rezone it as openspace, we're probably well enough served with cinemas in the City, offices probably be in more demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Similar to the Capitol development. Once they got planning they went back in and dumped the food court element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Similar to the Capitol development. Once they got planning they went back in and dumped the food court element.
    Only cause they were allowed to. If the Council let them away with it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I'm not convinced there is a demand for another cinema in the City Centre. The Gate seems to serve that market reasonably well.
    It's a complete joke though. Wasn't there supposed to be a brewing 'experience'/tourism element going to be in that section too?

Ireland has the highest cinema attendance rate in Europe. A second cinema in the city would do well. And the Gate has aged a lot. Could really do with a renovation as well.

Overall though bam are just doing what they normally do. Apply for planning with a cultural aspect. Then once planning is obtained, change the planning to office/retail space. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

That was more to do with john cleary than bam.

Lots of soil and debris being trucked off the event centre end of the site in the last few days. They are making a mess of South Gate Bridge but it's progress of sorts.
    They seem to be removing the large heaps of soil that had been there for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lots of soil and debris being trucked off the event centre end of the site in the last few days. They are making a mess of South Gate Bridge but it's progress of sorts.
    They seem to be removing the large heaps of soil that had been there for the last year or so.

Those student apartments will look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CHealy wrote: »
    Those student apartments will look great.

Won't be cheap to stay there. Only for the students with well off mummies and daddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Won't be cheap to stay there. Only for the students with well off mummies and daddies.
    Which may in turn free up accommodation for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Which may in turn free up accommodation for others.

Wishful thinking...with a growing population. Someone has to lose the accomodation musical chairs game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wishful thinking...with a growing population. Someone has to lose the accomodation musical chairs game.

So building more accommodation won't increase the accommodation pool?

Will it reduce the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

So building more accommodation won't increase the accommodation pool?

Will it reduce the pool?

Most of the houses presently rented by students are in rag order. On top of that, alterations are made to them to fit more tenants in, which aren't really feasible for non-student rental. These students will leave behind less properties than the student accomodation rooms will take up.

I suppose they can become a new form of tenement houses for the poor unless the landlords invest in bringing these houses up to modern standards.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would not even say that.

When I was living in Waterford city I was in the posh student apartments they where not deigned for students as they could not sell them so became student apartments.

I was paying 270 euros a month for the double en suite while I was there....

While j lived in a house for one year and was paying 300 for double ....

People tought I was loaded as I was in fancy apartment but really they where cheaper then the house area where all the students wonted to stay !!!!.

I'm hearing that BAM are to submit planning for offices and parking on the Event Centre site. I presume talks with government on extra funding have collapsed? This seems like the end of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Doubt that'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

First time I've actually seen any building action there, these are the student flats kicking off.

436155.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I'm hearing that BAM are to submit planning for offices and parking on the Event Centre site. I presume talks with government on extra funding have collapsed? This seems like the end of the story.

As a matter of interest, who did you hear that from? I find it hard to believe. Simon Coveney was on twitter in the last few days saying that the EC project was still very much alive and he was 100% behind it. I assume if the funding was not happening he would have heard about it by now and would be very quiet on the whole thing.

It is strange that it is taking the govt so long, but presumably things move slowly in Leinster House.

At this stage I wouldn't believe a word out of Coveney about the Event Centre. He's a spoofer.

At this stage I wouldn't believe a word out of Coveney about the Event Centre. He's a spoofer.

I honestly dont think he is. Im no Fine Gaeler but the go to comment on politicians is to call them spoofers. Do people think he can just click his fingers and thats it? His handling of the Brexit situation has been incredible and puts his British counterparts to shame, I genuinely believe he has the best interests of Cork at heart and he will fight for this, but he could be fighting a losing battle.

CHealy wrote: »
    I honestly dont think he is. Im no Fine Gaeler but the go to comment on politicians is to call them spoofers. Do people think he can just click his fingers and thats it? His handling of the Brexit situation has been incredible and puts his British counterparts to shame, I genuinely believe he has the best interests of Cork at heart and he will fight for this, but he could be fighting a losing battle.

He claimed and continues to claim that the sod turning wasn't an election stunt.

He said two years ago construction would start within weeks.

He said a year ago that a timeline for construction to begin would be published very shortly.

Why make these statements if he has no control over it? Because he's a spoofer.

• Advertisement

He claimed and continues to claim that the sod turning wasn't an election stunt.

He said two years ago construction would start within weeks.

He said a year ago that a timeline for construction to begin would be published very shortly.

Why make these statements if he has no control over it? Because he's a spoofer.

He's made some bad calls that he should have known better for, but I dont believe he's a spoofer, he's one of the best we have.

Advertisement