Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He claimed and continues to claim that the sod turning wasn't an election stunt.

He said two years ago construction would start within weeks.

He said a year ago that a timeline for construction to begin would be published very shortly.

Why make these statements if he has no control over it? Because he's a spoofer.

Ok, lets be cynical for a moment and say he is "a spoofer" for a second. If he was to take this approach and he knew the proverbial writing was on the wall, as far as the EC was concerned, wouldnt he have come out with some statement by the stage, distancing himself from the whole thing, and putting the blame on BAM, Live Nation, etc? They would be easy targets. No votes lost, standing up to selfish business interests, etc.

Making public statements as recently as the last few days is hardly the hallmarks of someone who is trying to spoof his way through it. Bearing in mind also he has bigger fish to fry than the Event Centre at present.

Also, it is reasonable to suggest that everyone in local and national govt thought everything was proceeding as planned, until Live Nation stepped in and dropped a bombshell regarding the suitability of the original design. That is hardly the fault of City Hall, or FG, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Meursault wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, who did you hear that from? I find it hard to believe.
    Heard that from somebody who is working closely with BAM on a different city centre project.

CHealy wrote: »
    He's made some bad calls that he should have known better for, but I dont believe he's a spoofer, he's one of the best we have.

I've no axe to grind with Coveney. His work on Brexit seems on the ball. As housing minister, well that's another story.
    On the event centre, he hasn't just spoofed, I believe he has told lies, as outlined above. On numerous occasions he has given deadlines and timetables which he and others have not stuck to.
    The sod-turning was one of the biggest, most public betrayals ever performed on the people of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Hes impresed me on Brexit.
    Very dignified and statesmanlike.
    Might review my opinion of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wouldn't give him too much credit on Brexit. Barnier, Juncker and the other EU heads are calling the shots. Irish Government are just following orders and coordinating their response. When given a problem to resolve in the Dept of Housing he was found sorely lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CHealy wrote: »
    He's made some bad calls that he should have known better for, but I dont believe he's a spoofer, he's one of the best we have.

One of our better spoofers...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The sod-turning was one of the biggest, most public betrayals ever performed on the people of Cork.

CpXZru2WIAAd-IO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

hNME8mF.png

Good old BAM

Brewery museum dumped as well. It'll just be a sprawl of student apartments. How fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Is it not on the Council if they allow them to drop those plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

yes, but on what planning grounds could this planning application be refused? if the proposed amendments are consistent with zoning of the site, planning policy generally then it should be granted.

They're both in it. Would make you wonder if the cinema, brewery experience and viewing tower we put in just to make the original planning application more palatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mire wrote: »
    yes, but on what planning grounds could this planning application be refused? if the proposed amendments are consistent with zoning of the site, planning policy generally then it should be granted.
    Not the refusal, but the initial planning that allowed such amendments.
    BAM are a private company, not designed to be in the business of doing what's best for the city (that's supposed to be the Councils role).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So just a load of cheap-to-buid student gaffs. What was the grant for so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

cgcsb wrote: »
    So just a load of cheap-to-buid student gaffs. What was the grant for so?

That’s for the Events Centre part of the Beamish & Crawford site. The site has been partitioned into three sectors. One sector is where the student accommodation is now going up, one sector was to originally contain a museum and a cinema, that’s what the latest change in planning application is for. BAM wants to build offices there. The third sector is reserved for the actual Events Centre, and BAM will only see money from the state and the city once they start on that third sector. The other work is undertaken by BAM on their own, without state financial support, as far as I know. I could be completely wrong, though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Changes to zone a (student accomodation) were approved whilst the other zones were as per the original application - cinema, museum, retail, etc.
    It's a cynical move by the developers to artificially divide up the site in three. The planning should take into account the entire site, not this piecemeal approach.

Simon Coveney on twitter today saying he's got a number of 'important' meetings about the event centre this week. Can he drag the pretence out until 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Simon Coveney on twitter today saying he's got a number of 'important' meetings about the event centre this week. Can he drag the pretence out until 2018?

why would he associate himself so closely with this - unless he was still confident of it happening?

Why is he "dragging it out"? What, from his point of view, is to be gained from dragging it out?

In all likelihood, there will be an election next year. It would be in his best interest to distance himself from the whole thing, if the Event Centre wasnt happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

thomil wrote: »
    That’s for the Events Centre part of the Beamish & Crawford site. The site has been partitioned into three sectors. One sector is where the student accommodation is now going up, one sector was to originally contain a museum and a cinema, that’s what the latest change in planning application is for. BAM wants to build offices there. The third sector is reserved for the actual Events Centre, and BAM will only see money from the state and the city once they start on that third sector. The other work is undertaken by BAM on their own, without state financial support, as far as I know. I could be completely wrong, though.

Cheers for clarifying, wasn't aware of the 3 sector approach...that said, if anybody here owned their own business - would you want your office near student apartments? I know I wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Coveney's tweet seems positive, stating "I know its taking time but we will progress". A crazy statement to make if you think it definitely won't happen, he would have surely stopped digging at this stage.

Also BAM's increased size of the events centre means Zone C is now bigger and Zone B had to be reduced for this, hence the planning changes. At a guess the brewery museum and viewing tower were removed due to cost, when they will only get 10 million extra for the EC.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Coveney's tweet seems positive, stating "I know its taking time but we will progress". A crazy statement to make if you think it definitely won't happen, he would have surely stopped digging at this stage.

Also BAM's increased size of the events centre means Zone C is now bigger and Zone B had to be reduced for this, hence the planning changes. At a guess the brewery museum and viewing tower were removed due to cost, when they will only get 10 million extra for the EC.

If the event centre is built, then i think most of us will gladly forego the museum and viewing tower. both would have been nice but are unnecessary at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

well the worrying thing for me is that the Event Centre is a 'destination' at select times. With the removal of the Cinema, Museum and tower, and also the further concentration on office space, it will lead to a significant space in the "entertainment district" around Washington St becominng a ghost town outside of events and 9-5. which would be disappointing.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-minutes-exist-for-cork-events-centre-funding-meeting-464659.html
    No minutes exist of meeting between Cork City Council and the Department of Heritage on funding for the event centre. Is that normal? I've got no experience of such meetings so maybe minutes aren't normally kept but that sounds very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-minutes-exist-for-cork-events-centre-funding-meeting-464659.html
    No minutes exist of meeting between Cork City Council and the Department of Heritage on funding for the event centre. Is that normal? I've got no experience of such meetings so maybe minutes aren't normally kept but that sounds very unlikely.

IIRC, previously the council had the public gallery emptied when having a discussion about the dockland developments, which struck me as very odd. Obviously some stuff does get hushed up.

It's 2018. According to statements made at the sod-turning for the event centre ( which were never clarified or retracted), the first events in the event centre will be taking place this summer.
    What a shambles.

It's 2018. According to statements made at the sod-turning for the event centre ( which were never clarified or retracted), the first events in the event centre will be taking place this summer.
    What a shambles.

Can't wait to go to the first concert this summer. Going to be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I heard the first concert is the return of Enda and the Sod Turner's ....looking forward to it !! Some nice shovel work expected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

A return of Lark by the Lee.
    More central though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

kub wrote: »
    A return of Lark by the Lee.
    More central though.

The only big event at that site will be fresher's week

Advertisement