Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

They are pouring so much of our money into this that surely we will get a discount at the door !!! I hate paying for something twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

6000 seat venue, plus standing? Or just 6000 seat. I’d imagine live nation would want to squeeze a few standing punters in for big gigs. Will be great when it’s available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

nlrkjos wrote: »
    They are pouring so much of our money into this that surely we will get a discount at the door !!! I hate paying for something twice.

Which is why nothing ever gets done in Cork ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It's all very quiet here. Should we be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

It's all very quiet here. Should we be worried?

The Event Centre was mentioned again by Leo last Friday, so you'd imagine the plan is still to proceed with it.

• Advertisement

Not for the first time I'm going to throw in the towel on this. No sign of any progress that was promised back in February. Seems like that was just more fake news to cover them for the anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Any day now :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/981494985269837824

Also saw on another site a pic of how the student flats are going to look.

img1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

opus wrote: »
    Any day now :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/981494985269837824

Also saw on another site a pic of how the student flats are going to look.

img1.jpg

Finalising cost benefit analysis? This project is literally going backwards. Two years ago we had a sod turning, then we had the saga of finalising the interior design and now we're back even further to cost benefit and legal advice. Whole thing is in reverse at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Finalising cost benefit analysis? This project is literally going backwards. Two years ago we had a sod turning, then we had the saga of finalising the interior design and now we're back even further to cost benefit and legal advice. Whole thing is in reverse at this stage.

Must mean the next step is it going out to tender (again)? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Simon must be working very hard on this, all of sudden, what with a possible general election towards the end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Saw that on simons twitter.
    Surely thats the first thing to be done in such a project. Maybe a review when they came in for more money.
    But to be only approaching the cost-benifet...

Move on.
    This is a busted flush.

AND they are going to apply for planning permission to change the event centre (or at least that's what Simon has claimed). So, it really is back to square one. They will be brewing Beamish there this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

The City Council have approved the elimination of the Cinema from the plans for the event centre site in favour of more offices and student apartments. An absolute disgrace that a site with such potential in the entertainment district will be a ghost town after 6pm.

What a missed opportunity.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    The City Council have approved the elimination of the Cinema from the plans for the event centre site in favour of more offices and student apartments. An absolute disgrace that a site with such potential in the entertainment district will be a ghost town after 6pm.

What a missed opportunity.

If the offices and student apartments, which replace the cinema, ensure that the event centre is more viable then I couldn't care less, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Meursault wrote: »
    If the offices and student apartments, which replace the cinema, ensure that the event centre is more viable then I couldn't care less, to be honest.

Presume the road fronting side of these apartments will have shop units etc. Good location for a bar.

There is no evidence to suggest this is the case i.e. the Event Centre would not be viable without extra student apartments. I think this development is setting a poor example for a prime city centre location. More student apartments and offices that really add little to the liveability of the city. The cinema and viewing tower have been eliminated in favour of more student apartments. The brewery experience element has been diminished significantly. The Event Centre is still in development hell and could also go and we'd be left with little more than hundreds of student apartments in a prime site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I can't really see how there would be any connection, to be honest. The viability of the Event centre will surely be completely independent of anything else on that site. They're not going to run it at a loss but subsidised by rental income from offices/apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There is no evidence to suggest this is the case i.e. the Event Centre would not be viable without extra student apartments. I think this development is setting a poor example for a prime city centre location. More student apartments and offices that really add little to the liveability of the city. The cinema and viewing tower have been eliminated in favour of more student apartments. The brewery experience element has been diminished significantly. The Event Centre is still in development hell and could also go and we'd be left with little more than hundreds of student apartments in a prime site.
    This was significantly expanded in the most recent plan

who_me wrote: »
    I can't really see how there would be any connection, to be honest. The viability of the Event centre will surely be completely independent of anything else on that site. They're not going to run it at a loss but subsidised by rental income from offices/apartments.

Well, here's how i think one could impact the other. There are currently negotiations between government and the other major stakeholders. There is a lot of financial risk for BAM. I assume they are saying to the govt, let us increase the financial return on the rest of the site - (student appts, etc) - to help mitigate some of the risk involved in the event centre and we will then keep up our side of the agreement to get the event centre built.

anyway, while a cinema, etc would have been nice, if the event centre gets built, no one is going to be too concerned about the other "bells and whistles" that were part of the original plans.

Well, here's how i think one could impact the other. There are currently negotiations between government and the other major stakeholders. There is a lot of financial risk for BAM. I assume they are saying to the govt, let us increase the financial return on the rest of the site - (student appts, etc) - to help mitigate some of the risk involved in the event centre and we will then keep up our side of the agreement to get the event centre built.

anyway, while a cinema, etc would have been nice, if the event centre gets built, no one is going to be too concerned about the other "bells and whistles" that were part of the original plans.

But they came looking for more money to mitigate the risk. So they want extra cash and more student apartments. If that is there negotiation stance then they should be told take a hike.

• Advertisement

But they came looking for more money to mitigate the risk. So they want extra cash and more student apartments. If that is there negotiation stance then they should be told take a hike.

I'm not getting in to the rights and wrongs of it. I am just offering an opinion as to why they may have been granted permission to make these changes.

I don't see the point in making statements like "they should be told to take a hike". I'm sure that would be very satisfying for some in the short term, but BAM would simply shrug their shoulders, take their losses and move on. We would be left with nothing but a hole in the ground (literally and figuratively).

And then there is no event centre and they'll quietly get planning for student apartments for the whole site a few years down the line, or they won't and it will stay empty.

snotboogie wrote: »
    And then there is no event centre and they'll quietly get planning for student apartments for the whole site a few years down the line, or they won't and it will stay empty.

There is no Event Centre anyway. We're back at cost benefit analysis stage already and Coveney has already said it needs to back to planning IF the funding ever comes through. BAM have already got all the student apartments they wanted without having to sign a contract or put a shovel in the ground for the Event Centre. If this is a negotiation then it's a very one sided one.

There is no Event Centre anyway. We're back at cost benefit analysis stage already and Coveney has already said it needs to back to planning IF the funding ever comes through. BAM have already got all the student apartments they wanted without having to sign a contract or put a shovel in the ground for the Event Centre. If this is a negotiation then it's a very one sided one.
    Being at the cost benefit stage is better than scrapping the project

Being at the cost benefit stage is better than scrapping the project

What if the CBA suggests costs out weigh the benifets...

CBA is usually the first stage of a project.
    Identify a project
    CBA
    Scope the project having regard to the CBA.

Surely to jasis they'd have done their (another)CBA prior to agreeing to fund the extra monies, and said "yes, this is still a viable project and will deliver x to the City. Lets give them the extra money"

Eoin English of the Examiner apparently has "good news and bad news"

Anybody anything?

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/983397976423976961?s=19

What if the CBA suggests costs out weigh the benifets...

CBA is usually the first stage of a project.
    Identify a project
    CBA
    Scope the project having regard to the CBA.

Surely to jasis they'd have done their (another)CBA prior to agreeing to fund the extra monies, and said "yes, this is still a viable project and will deliver x to the City. Lets give them the extra money"

I'd rather they proceed with a CBA than scrap it out spite to BAM (no matter how warranted)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Eoin English of the Examiner apparently has "good news and bad news"

Anybody anything?

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/983397976423976961?s=19

This is from his twitter feed, which really doesn't add anymore than we knew from a couple of months ago.

DaZ-1RrW0AAYHYq.jpg:large

Mumha wrote: »
    This is from his twitter feed, which really doesn't add anymore than we knew from a couple of months ago.

DaZ-1RrW0AAYHYq.jpg:large

His update in the examiner today is more of the same " everyones committed, but still a funding gap"

So much for the announcement a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

Paul Byrne from TV3 news has just tweeted that a statement has been provided to them confirming that work will begin between Oct and Dec this year. Not sure whether this is a cast iron guarantee or not but anyway...

https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Advertisement