Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Meursault wrote: »
    Paul Byrne from TV3 news has just tweeted that a statement has been provided to them confirming that work will begin between Oct and Dec this year. Not sure whether this is a cast iron guarantee or not but anyway...

https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Paul Byrne from TV3 news has just tweeted that a statement has been provided to them confirming that work will begin between Oct and Dec this year. Not sure whether this is a cast iron guarantee or not but anyway...

https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

A new planning application is needed as well as the small matter of the funding. More smoke and mirrors from those involved to buy a few more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, here's how i think one could impact the other. There are currently negotiations between government and the other major stakeholders. There is a lot of financial risk for BAM. I assume they are saying to the govt, let us increase the financial return on the rest of the site - (student appts, etc) - to help mitigate some of the risk involved in the event centre and we will then keep up our side of the agreement to get the event centre built.

Ah, if you mean the viability of the construction of the event centre, then perhaps. I don't know if there's anything that would bind BAM to use revenue from the sale/leasing of those apartments to fund the event centre construction - if needed. (And why would they do so voluntarily).

If you mean the long-term viability of the event centre, obviously not. It needs to be viable on its own terms or it goes under.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

This is becoming very boring ...it's obviously an election year stall again ...yawn !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

P.lane78 wrote: »
    This is becoming very boring ...it's obviously an election year stall again ...yawn !!

Sod turning 2.0 will happen around 1 month before the next election!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd say there's many a slip yet to come.... Bam will be playing this fish for a good few years yet... I've no doubt that construction will start soon(ish), but anyone who thinks that bam won't be re-evaluating this for their own benefit is bonkers... There'll be court cases and or delays and exit clauses galore to bring pressure on government to throw more money in... And if the deal folds tomorrow or before construction starts they'll probably make more turning it into offices and apartments... With the general outline/height/density of the development almost "preapproved " by the current planning..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sod turning 2.0 will happen around 1 month before the next election!

That won't wash. Coveney has put huge political capital into this, especially after that sod turning. If they do have a solid agreement and construction starts before the next general election, then he can certainly claim back on that, and deservedly so. However, this will be a massive stick with which to beat him all round South Central, if he fails to get it over the line. The onus is on him to "gititdun" asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I hadn't walked past the back of it in a few weeks, zero movement on the events centre part but the student flats are flying up. Wonder if the people in the little block fronting the river will be very upset that people will be staring in their windows & onto the balconies shortly!

450838.jpg

They've built a show flat in what looks like a shed at the front on South Main St as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://twitter.com/mmcgrathtd/status/996361468974157824?s=19

Apparently 1million shekels drawn down by City Council so far. What was this spent on i wonder, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The plot thickens...
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/elusive-cork-event-centre-already-cost-taxpayer-633k-470816.html
    Over 600k has been spent by the council on “costs in relation to economic advice for the project and professional fees for carrying out the public procurement processes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

The plot thickens...
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/elusive-cork-event-centre-already-cost-taxpayer-633k-470816.html
    Over 600k has been spent by the council on “costs in relation to economic advice for the project and professional fees for carrying out the public procurement processes”.

Fair play to Eoin English and the Examiner. They're fighting the good fight on the Event Centre, and keeping the pressure on all major players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fair play to Eoin English and the Examiner. They're fighting the good fight on the Event Centre, and keeping the pressure on all major players.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/600k-spent-so-far-by-City-Hall-on-event-centre-fees-c21b7fe3-cd89-4b72-86af-06c7b367d7f0-ds

Twas in d'echo and on all the radio stations yesterday tbf!!

"consultancy" is kind of thrown around like a catch-all term that is vague enough not to implicate anything specific these days isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Reports today on 96fm facebook page that they're planning a change which will require planning permission.

Someone called it a few pages ago: keep the delays coming through planning tweaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

MrDerp wrote: »
    Reports today on 96fm facebook page that they're planning a change which will require planning permission.

Someone called it a few pages ago: keep the delays coming through planning tweaks
    It's a video of the head of BAM construction saying that they will apply for planning permission for a change of use for office space to entertainment. I'm not sure this is so negative, applying for planning permission would be an expensive and cumbersome method of delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Double post

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's a video of the head of BAM construction saying that they will apply for planning permission for a change of use for office space to entertainment. I'm not sure this is so negative, applying for planning permission would be an expensive and cumbersome method of delay.

Agree with this.

The delays are frustrating everyone, but I seriously doubt this is some secretive conspiracy to slowly kill off the Event Centre. If they wanted rid of it, they would all have done so months ago, BAM would have moved on to other projects, and the whole thing would be forgotten about by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Agree with this.

The delays are frustrating everyone, but I seriously doubt this is some secretive conspiracy to slowly kill off the Event Centre. If they wanted rid of it, they would all have done so months ago, BAM would have moved on to other projects, and the whole thing would be forgotten about by now.

Theo Cullinane said that he is a Cork man and wants to deliver the Event Center for Cork.
    Its down to Maths at this stage i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Agree with this.

Not suggesting this, I’m suggesting a holding pattern, and a refresh of permission indicating they are still struggling to define what this will be. Additional money has been requested and the design is still being tweaked. I don’t doubt the want to build it, I’m beginning to question whether they’ll manage to.

I know this isnt very apparent at the moment, but the likes of Theo Cullinane are cute enough not to put themselves in a position where they look like amateurs or bluffers. Their reputation is very important in all of this. If the writing was on the wall, they wouldn't go around making public statements of commitment to the Event Centre.

I know this isnt very apparent at the moment, but the likes of Theo Cullinane are cute enough not to put themselves in a position where they look like amateurs or bluffers.

That ship has sailed, about two years ago.
    Everyone involved in this are now covered in the sh1t that has hit the fan. Delaying tactics all round until another election is got through. Then it'll be dropped as quick as anything. The company involved have a motive for keeping the government happy, that's where most of its business is coming from.
    This will never happen.

Heard today that planning for the changes to the event centre will now not be submitted until early 2019 (at the earliest). At that rate, a start date in 2019 would be 50:50 at best.
    This goes from bad to worse.

The latest on this:

Simon Coveney pleas for ‘patience’ over funds for Cork events centre
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/simon-coveney-pleas-for-patience-over-funds-for-cork-events-centre-472507.html

How dare you all not tolerate these humongous delays and stalling tactics from the Government and developers. The Tanaiste is very, very disappointed with you! Shame on you!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MAJOR announcement coming about this on Monday. (Positive, I hear).
    All the major players in Cork for a 'breakthrough' development.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MAJOR announcement coming about this on Monday. (Positive, I hear).
    All the major players in Cork for a 'breakthrough' development.
    Unless this is backed up with some sort of actual construction work they may as well be announcing whatever they are announcing to the fish in the Lee. People are beyond tired of talk and promises

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

The election must be sooner than we think !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just watch, bam will have the site completely redeveloped except for the events centre... And then they'll drop it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement