Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MAJOR announcement coming about this on Monday. (Positive, I hear).
    All the major players in Cork for a 'breakthrough' development.

Any sign of this major announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

"The site was sold recently but it may take time for development work to start. Other possible locations for the event were also discussed: we need to keep this concert series going in light of the pace of the Event Centre development. If and when that is constructed, it is felt there will still be place for Live at the Marquee."
    Megastar gigs are set to continue at Live at the Marquee and at Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Hardly the major announcement that we were hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Outstanding stuff. Well worth the wait. Would wait again.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

EnzoScifo wrote: »

Sounds like we're literally back at the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

At least the project hasnt been abandoned. I am a bit more optimistic this morning. Its frustrating obviously that there have been so many delays, but I'd rather they got it right than rushed through a half-arsed events centre. It will be worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Covney is full of crap.
    “Maybe people will now believe”.
    Yeah, we believe you were spoofing when you turned the sod.
    People will believe when construction begins. Until then, just further rubbish from him.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    EnzoScifo wrote: »

Sounds like we're literally back at the drawing board.
    I don't think so, we knew that they would need to lodge new planning, the fact that they have done it is a (small) step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If anything construction starts on this prior to the end of the decade, I'll be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

snotboogie wrote: »
    I don't think so, we knew that they would need to lodge new planning, the fact that they have done it is a (small) step in the right direction.

I'm open to correction here but doesn't planning permission have a time limit so they have to apply again ....

gifted wrote: »

I'm open to correction here but doesn't planning permission have a time limit so they have to apply again ....
    Yes it does but it hasn't run out yet they are reapplying due to design changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Do you know what the time frame on it is once applied for?

CHealy wrote: »

Do you know what the time frame on it is once applied for?
    It depends on the application, I don't know the time limit on the Events Centre one but I'd imagine that it's over 10 years, for instance the old Howard Holding plans from the early 2000's for the Marquee site are still valid if Glenveagh want to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are they expanding the capacity of the arena or just the concourse areas etc?

Overall, would they have been better off building a basketball type arena instead of a 3Arena style music venue.

The basketball type would be much more flexible and would allow hosting much more events. The Odyessey in Belfast gets a good mix of music and sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Overall, would they have been better off building a basketball type arena instead of a 3Arena style music venue.

The basketball type would be much more flexible and would allow hosting much more events. The Odyessey in Belfast gets a good mix of music and sporting events.

Isn't that part of what has caused all the delays?

The initial plan was for a concert venue, then Live Nation came on board and tore that up, suggesting it wouldn't be economically viable.

We've heard City Hall/Coveney talk about versatility and there being "no other kind of venue" like it in the world so that would suggest some degree of manoeuvring it around rather than it being a straight-up concert arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think some posters here will be bitterly disappointed if this does go ahead as they won't be able to say "I knew it was never going to happen".
    "told ya so"
    Etc.

I think some posters here will be bitterly disappointed if this does go ahead as they won't be able to say "I knew it was never going to happen".
    "told ya so"
    Etc.

Agree completely. The level of cynicism and negativity that pervades in society these days (and particularly on social media) is unbelievable. It appears to be particularly prevalent in Irish people.

Yes, this is taking a long time, but this is not the only project to run in to these problems and we are certainly not alone in Ireland either. It happens frequently enough globally too.

The basketball type would be much more flexible and would allow hosting much more events.  The Odyessey in Belfast gets a good mix of music and sporting events.
    I'd be very interested to see what sporting events could fill it. Boxing and MMA are the only two that spring to mind for me. I can't see what sort of Hockey or Basketball games would need an arena this size? What non combat sports does the Odyessey get?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I'd be very interested to see what sporting events could fill it. Boxing and MMA are the only two that spring to mind for me. I can't see what sort of Hockey or Basketball games would need an arena this size? What non combat sports does the Odyessey get?

Home of the Belfast Giants ice hockey team. Also I think a round of the Premier League Darts championship is held there.

• Advertisement

Basketball style set up can be use for Basketball, Ice Hockey, Boxing, MMA, Darts and Professional Wrestling.

In addition, it would provide a lot more floor space compared to an amphitheater to hold conference events with stalls etc.

It could still be designed to have seating on only 3 sides with a permanent stage on one end. I really don’t know if the footprint is large enough for this though.

I doubt that this is what the new plans will look like anyways.

The whole reason for the delay is that Live Nation would not get involved, unless it was more versatile and adaptable to different functions. Realistically, they could struggle to make it viable, if the event centre was for live music only. I doubt the various stakeholders would be making large investments, without various feasibility studies and market research.

If it means we wait an extra year and we get an event centre that can host live music, sport, business conferences, musicals, kids shows, etc, then it will be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Meursault wrote: »
    If it means we wait an extra year and we get an event centre that can host live music, sport, business conferences, musicals, kids shows, etc, then it will be worth the wait.
    I suppose the concern is that they've already had 4 extra years at this point.

When will the new plans be unveiled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"told ya so"
    Etc.

I for one would gladly forgoe being able to say "told ye so" , to be able to sit my old ars3 on a seat in a decent event centre and watch something!

If he (SC) comes through on it, then fair play.

Until its built though, I'll keep my options open!
    I dont there's anyone in Cork that doesn't want this to go ahead.

I for one would gladly forgoe being able to say "told ye so" , to be able to sit my old ars3 on a seat in a decent event centre and watch something!

John P Feehan if that means anything to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Exactly, I went to 2 gigs in the marquee this year, both were great gigs and performances, with the experience not insignificantly diminished by the venue/sound quality. Better venue will mean more and better gigs. We all want it, we all want to believe.

There isn't negativity towards the project, there's negativity to being repeatedly told that starts are imminent.

I wish dunkettle was built. I wish the m20 built, I wish the macroom bypass was built, I wish the m28 was built. But no-one is telling me these are 6 months from starting over and over again.

Give it to us straight. The archaeology is done. The site is somewhat cleared. The apartments are under construction. Tell us when you've queued this up for construction. Share your pipeline and priorities ... after all there's public money involved.

In the words of Josey Wales: Don't p**s down my back and tell me it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I think the level of cynicism around this project is very fair. People who have been following this project from the beginning know how long this has been going on for, how many " announcements" and false starts have been around this project. It's incredibly frustrating. I really doubt anyone will be disappointed to see this project finally get underway. If and when happens it will be great for Cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Must be an election on the way....

Advertisement