Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I think some posters here will be bitterly disappointed if this does go ahead as they won't be able to say "I knew it was never going to happen".
    "told ya so"
    Etc.

Being repeatedly told it's imminent and about to begin for years at this stage is what is frustrating people. Everybody wants it to happen but don't spoof to us like children that it's about to start in a few weeks or that it's very "complicated" with the implication being the ordinary punter just doesn't understand. We had a sod turning nearly 1,000 days ago FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

New image of it on the front of the Examiner today. Story online seems to still have the old one in it for some reason, though.

Amended planning app up on the hoarding outside the site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

New design looks interesting.

All the talking heads on line are blaming Coovney for wanting a bigger event centre. It’s amazing how stupid the general public are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Amended-event-centre-plans-submitted-210c692d-49ec-4d6f-8c7e-495dfbfbef9e-ds

Evening Echo has the new image in their story online if anyone hasn't/doesn't want to buy the Examiner!

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Amended-event-centre-plans-submitted-210c692d-49ec-4d6f-8c7e-495dfbfbef9e-ds

Evening Echo has the new image in their story online if anyone hasn't/doesn't want to buy the Examiner!

Looks good. Would really like to see what the proposed interior is like though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's a fantastic looking upgrade if indeed it does come to be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Hopefully ...this time

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

So from reading the description on the planning website, the main thing I can see is the event centre is being increased by almost 2000m2, from 11339 to 13320, of which 2176 will be offices.

No documents uploaded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does this have to rego funding applications?or re tender?
    I'm sure bam will max out the grant aid, then need more half way through...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Planning up on the website, submitted on the 13th of August, decision due on the 8th of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Any new drawings including. That Dejavu format is a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Deja Vu is right !! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The new plan seems to be slightly bigger, with a more rounded roof (which looks better, IMO). South Main St. side looks more bland though. It seems to have lost the windows/gallery overlooking the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

That's BAMs forte to be fair.

Lots of bells and whistles in initial planning which is usually jettisoned.

So what could have been a vibrant part of the entertainment quarter of Washington Street with a cinema and cafe/bars will now be the odd concert event surrounded by a dead area of student apartments and offices.

Massive missed opportunity imo

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

who_me wrote: »
    The new plan seems to be slightly bigger, with a more rounded roof (which looks better, IMO). South Main St. side looks more bland though. It seems to have lost the windows/gallery overlooking the river.

Every view is improved overall except that south main st view which at first glance looks as interesting as the side of the opera house. Looks modern from across the river but the gallery is definitely a loss for any convention space.

I haven’t looked at the details but I presume they’ve reoriented the inside a bit and made some corridors more functional with the loss of natural light. Pity.

Just had a look at the internal layout, it looks like a very wide & tall (but not 'deep') theatre area so there shouldn't be any bad seats. Not a huge amount of floor space, which surprises me - it looks very much a big theatre, but probably couldn't be used for (say) a technology conference with a lot of stands. It doesn't look like the lower tier of seating is temporary and could be moved to open up more space.

It would be an epic music venue though. Just looking at the sketch of the seating from the stage point-of-view gave me the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

who_me wrote: »
    Just had a look at the internal layout, it looks like a very wide & tall (but not 'deep') theatre area so there shouldn't be any bad seats. Not a huge amount of floor space, which surprises me - it looks very much a big theatre, but probably couldn't be used for (say) a technology conference with a lot of stands. It doesn't look like the lower tier of seating is temporary and could be moved to open up more space.

It would be an epic music venue though. Just looking at the sketch of the seating from the stage point-of-view gave me the shivers.

I thought this aswell, Live Nation were all about the versatility of the site but from what I can see there is next to no room for rejigging the site for different types of events, we certainly wont be seeing any Cork Ice Hockey teams soon anyway. That upper tier looks huge though, concerts are going to be amazing should the thing ever get built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I bet the people who live in those flats which I've always thought looked really nice facing south over the river are none too happy to practically have student accommodation balconies outside their window! It nicely surrounds the block as well.

459617.jpg

You're never safe! :) My parents have a home right on the river (Cork county, not city) and the local council wanted to build a walkway over - not next to, over - the river.

Not to mention a few years back, a developer wanted to build an apartment block *in* the river. Can you imagine thinking living nearby "I'm right next to the river bank, nothing could ever block me..." only to see that built? ;)

The saga continues - Legal advice on extra funding for Events Centre project in Cork

So that's an extra €10 million to get the events centre going & an extra €6 million to open the park in Tramore Valley :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

And don't forget about this.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/An-Taisce-opposes-unsatisfactory-events-centre-designs-76eaed44-ebc2-4392-879b-c089e0075819-ds

I wish they'd completely start an taisce from the ground up. It's ruining any proper development in this country.

Some solicitors are rubbing their hands with glee with all this legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Just when you think this sorry tale is nearing an end, the $hit just rumbles on. More legal advice and a planning process deliberately being used to stall the development.
    It's sickening at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Just when you think this sorry tale is nearing an end, the $hit just rumbles on. More legal advice and a planning process deliberately being used to stall the development.
    It's sickening at this stage.

This is the same legal advice that has been on the cards for as long as I can remember. There was no news in the article above other than it was nearing completion. There is zero need for planning to stall the development. Planning was actually needed to progress the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

snotboogie wrote: »
    This is the same legal advice that has been on the cards for as long as I can remember. There was no news in the article above other than it was nearing completion. There is zero need for planning to stall the development. Planning was actually needed to progress the development.

It'll be stalled as long as bam can get away with it... The government want it built, bam are busy building everything else they can, so they'll either delay to screw money out of the government, go back to planning to get less of a landmark building that gives them more office space (as they are currently) or they'll drag it out till they're not as busy (IE till they've flooded student accommodation and City centre offices market), or more likely all 3 and then they'll build.
    If it's still worth their while..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Markcheese wrote: »
    It'll be stalled as long as bam can get away with it... The government want it built, bam are busy building everything else they can, so they'll either delay to screw money out of the government, go back to planning to get less of a landmark building that gives them more office space (as they are currently) or they'll drag it out till they're not as busy (IE till they've flooded student accommodation and City centre offices market), or more likely all 3 and then they'll build.
    If it's still worth their while..

A rainy day project!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

opus wrote: »
    The saga continues - Legal advice on extra funding for Events Centre project in Cork

So that's an extra €10 million to get the events centre going & an extra €6 million to open the park in Tramore Valley :rolleyes:

It's the same extra €10m that has been spoken about for the last 18 months. BAM and LiveNation have also agreed to put in extra.

Just noticed a photo-montage of the student flats today on the hoarding, any way they could have made them blander :rolleyes:

461931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

opus wrote: »
    Just noticed a photo-montage of the student flats today on the hoarding, any way they could have made them blander :rolleyes:

461931.jpg

Must be the same architect who designed the apartments in Victoria Cross...square building, add windows....job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

This morning's Examiner has Coveney excusing progress on this by blaming the Attorney General's office for not delivering on legal advice. He says that should be available now 'in a few weeks'.
    More delays. In my view, if you vote for this guy after this amount of lies and deliberate falsehoods, you must be clinically insane.

Advertisement