Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I've seen wars wrapped up in less time and with less damage to a city than this never-ending debacle.
    Whether or not BAM submit further information and if (and it's a big IF) they get planning permission for the redesigned event centre, I can't see this extra government funding coming through. If there was a way of funding it without the whole house of cards collapsing, it would have been done months ago.
    No, get ready for some bad news Cork. No funding increase, BAM slither out of their agreement to build the event centre and we're into a blame game where it's nobodies fault.

Sorry to say it but I fear you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

At this stage it is very difficult to be enthusiastic or even positive about this Event Centre ever being built.

I bet though had this been in Dublin it would have been built in no time and operational now a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I've seen wars wrapped up in less time and with less damage to a city than this never-ending debacle.
    Whether or not BAM submit further information and if (and it's a big IF) they get planning permission for the redesigned event centre, I can't see this extra government funding coming through. If there was a way of funding it without the whole house of cards collapsing, it would have been done months ago.
    No, get ready for some bad news Cork. No funding increase, BAM slither out of their agreement to build the event centre and we're into a blame game where it's nobodies fault.

There's an election around the corner and Simon Coveney has made this his pet project. The money will be found.

Also, if BAM didn't want to proceed with this they would have washed their hands of it long ago. They're not in the business of throwing money away just to look good. They're a big multinational business and are in it to make money. It wouldn't bother them in the slightest if they had to pull the plug, so they would have done so by now, if they weren't serious about the Event Centre.

It is infuriating that it is taking so long though. I'm beginning to get fed up with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Passed by yesterday and the Event Centre site was jam packed with cars and equipment presumably belonging to people working on the apartments and office space. The optimist/cynic in me hopes that they're intentionally delaying just so they have somewhere to park for free while completing the other developments...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Even Kerry has a place for big enough gigs obviously smaller than 3 arena we have nowt

• Advertisement

mean gene wrote: »
    Even Kerry has a place for big enough gigs obviously smaller than 3 arena we have nowt

Well there is the Opera House and the Marquee for a few weeks during the summer. Plus PUC for the occasional really big concert. The way things are looking that may be as good as it gets for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can anyone explain something to me.

Why are archeological excavations if the event centre site expected to it have taken so long?

Why didn’t the same happen for the rest of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

mean gene wrote: »

The INEC is a class venue IMO but 99% of what's on there is Foster And Allen stuff. Pity. I have heard they find it difficult to get credible acts down there though.
    Well there is the Opera House and the Marquee for a few weeks during the summer. Plus PUC for the occasional really big concert. The way things are looking that may be as good as it gets for the city.

The Opera House has never been utilised properly. It nearly went bust a few years ago despite receiving funding from the arts council on top of whatever they make themselves.
    Bar the odd gig in the summer and maybe around the jazz weekend, over the years there's been very little on in there (stand up acts aside) to cater for the 18 to 50 age group. Most of what's on in there is for kids or pensioners with very little for the age group in-between.

It would make a great option for bands who would come play a venue like The Ulster Hall in Belfast, followed by The Olympia in Dublin. The seating can easily be removed downstairs too and the PA system in there is savage.
    It's such a waste and just a pity that like many other venues in Cork, it's just been run by the wrong people.
    The Halfmoon was one of the best venues in Cork despite most gigs in there being half empty because they never advertised them properly, but they've just let it shut for years now and use it to store lighting and rigging equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Passed by yesterday and the Event Centre site was jam packed with cars and equipment presumably belonging to people working on the apartments and office space. The optimist/cynic in me hopes that they're intentionally delaying just so they have somewhere to park for free while completing the other developments...

Correct, it will also be a handy carpark when they start on the office/hotel development on Sullivans Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Which - if it transpired - would be the second time a Cork development was built on condition of it including an event centre.. without it ever happening. (Mahon Point being the other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

I've lost all patience on this one. Coveney is going to have difficulty with getting elected if this doesn't go ahead. In fact FG in Cork could be in real trouble over this. Let's face it FG'ers in Limerick and Dublin would have got this over the line well before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Let's face it lads if this thing is ever built all it will host is Irelands biggest panto for about 3 months, all the crap currently on the Marquee every summer, the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis, some comedian, a wedding expo and Top Gear live.

rebs23 wrote: »
    I've lost all patience on this one. Coveney is going to have difficulty with getting elected if this doesn't go ahead. In fact FG in Cork could be in real trouble over this. Let's face it FG'ers in Limerick and Dublin would have got this over the line well before now.

TBH I would think this will be fairly low on the majority of voters list of priorities. I don`t think it will be the deciding factor on Coveney`s re-election chances unless, of course, FF and the other parties and independents make a huge issue of it.

Acosta wrote: »
    Let's face it lads if this thing is ever built all it will host is Irelands biggest panto for about 3 months, all the crap currently on the Marquee every summer, the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis, some comedian, a wedding expo and Top Gear live.

And maybe Cork on Ice.

And maybe Cork on Ice.

Possibly. It actually has very limited open floor space. It should be able to house an ice-rink, but doubtful it would hold much of an expo and certainly not Top Gear Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

3 weeks to the 3rd anniversary of the great sod turning !!!!

bollox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

nlrkjos wrote: »
    3 weeks to the 3rd anniversary of the great sod turning !!!!

bollox.jpg

Haha something tells me the guy on the left had a bad feeling about it all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

snotboogie wrote: »
    D Day is next week:

Another one?

The port of Cork error was quietly resolved. They keep getting projects because they are one of only three companies big enough and operational in the city to manage projects of the scale you mentioned.

Just saw this now, thanks.

Does 'quietly' mean secretly? Do we know the details of how it was resolved?

From the outside, they seem to be managing these big projects, badly. Mistakes, cost-overruns, project scale-backs. Are there no tender options outside of Cork? Would there be interest?

• Advertisement

Announcement to approve government funding for this will happen within the next 24-48 hours. Stay tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Mr Coveney said he was confident we will have clarity on this project in 2018 and that we will see the start of the construction of the project in early 2019.
    “This loose commentary that nothing is happening on the events centre - nothing could be further from the truth," he told the Evening Echo.
    "A lot has happened. A lot of business meetings have taken place, a lot of board meetings and financial considerations have taken place and a lot of financial and legal advice has been needed and a second planning application isn’t fully through the process.

For all you doubters out there who think that nothing is happening :D

…...And that's not the only dream he's having....
    " It is a 6,000 events centre that will probably be full four or five nights a week".

Must be planning on doubling it up as a homeless or refugee centre if he expects it to be full four or five nights a week !!

This funding announcement IS coming. This is a well-used tactic of delivering just before Christmas so there can be no questions asked and not too much scrutiny. Allows the government to spin it as a "christmas present for Cork"...good news to end the year. That sort of nonsense.

This funding announcement IS coming. This is a well-used tactic of delivering just before Christmas so there can be no questions asked and not too much scrutiny. Allows the government to spin it as a "christmas present for Cork"...good news to end the year. That sort of nonsense.

What made you think that it was in the next 48 hours?

What made you think that it was in the next 48 hours?
    I was told as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Look, if a decent event centre gets built soon, without the tax payer being taken for a ride brilliant... Better late than never...
    I just feel Bam will spin this out to the last... Its too politically opertune for them not to..
    Wether its issues with the foundations, or the increase In building costs (which is happening), or reduction of some other elements of the scheme... It'll drag on and be dropped in Simon's lap just when it suits bam..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

468581.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Some positive news. Hopefully we will finally see some concrete progress (pardon the pun) early in the new year

Meursault wrote: »
    Some positive news. Hopefully we will finally see some concrete progress (pardon the pun) early in the new year

I think we will know soon by the planning permission. If BAM provide the extra information in Jan there is a good chance we will see this move in 2019. If they start to arse around and drag out the planning process, the likelihood of this ever getting done is very small. Keep an eye on Sullivan's Quay too. If that starts in the New Year it'll be a great sign for the Events Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Great news. Would be such a boost for Cork and that area of town.

Hopefully we see progress without delay in 2019.

Advertisement