Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Markcheese wrote: »
    That was carillioins policy in the UK too, price low and make on the extras and oh that wasn't in the contract stuff, they went bust.
    I reckon bam is a legal firm with a construction arm...

Extras? They are intentionally underbidding, to get the contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I reckon bam is a legal firm with a construction arm...

Thats a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Total mismanagement by the City Council and Coveney was just spoofing. Thread can be locked at this point, it ain't happening.

• Advertisement

Total mismanagement by the City Council and Coveney was just spoofing. Thread can be locked at this point, it ain't happening.

Years away. That's so dissapointing but can't say we didn't all see the writing on the wall 12 months ago.
    This isn't happening. All sides need to admit defeat and move on. Lets look at using that public money to support an alternative approach. Event Centre at the dockland/R&H Hall site?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Put it down in Ballydehob...........about as realistic as The Beamish site, new crop of cllrs coming in in May will just say "not my fault"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Coveney stringing us all along,on the radio, in the media. What an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Years away. That's so dissapointing but can't say we didn't all see the writing on the wall 12 months ago.
    This isn't happening. All sides need to admit defeat and move on. Lets look at using that public money to support an alternative approach. Event Centre at the dockland/R&H Hall site?

Why change the location and what difference will it make to the viability

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Coveney stringing us all along,on the radio, in the media. What an absolute disgrace.

Don't think Coveneys a disgrace, he's been strung along same as everyone else, (not that he comes out glowing either).
    If he'd had no position, or always said "nothing to do with me" he'd be slagged off for not getting behind the project, to get it moving.
    But I bet he wishes he'd never been in that turning the sod photo..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Why are City Council asking for legal advice and who are they waiting for updates from? Two simple questions that the media and other councilors can't seem to muster. Asking the council when the Event Centre will start is a stupid question, when they will clear the way for BAM to provide the additional info for planning is a far more important question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Don't think Coveneys a disgrace, he's been strung along same as everyone else, (not that he comes out glowing either).
    If he'd had no position, or always said "nothing to do with me" he'd be slagged off for not getting behind the project, to get it moving.
    But I bet he wishes he'd never been in that turning the sod photo..

My opinion as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fabio wrote: »
    My opinion as well.

Ah, now.
    Everything is always the politicians fault!
    Everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

In fairness to Coveney, he took more than a passing interest in the Hawlbowline tip remediation, and gave it a big push along

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

I strongly believe if Simon wasn't involved with this it would have died years ago. He might not be getting visible results yet but the project is still alive which, while not desirable, is much better than dead in the water and no plans for another anytime soon. And the event centre space will never suddenly become student apartments. BAM will have to apply for apartments (assuming the site is zoned for them) and the public are free to object to this and appeal a grant of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BazzFan123 wrote: »
    I strongly believe if Simon wasn't involved with this it would have died years ago. He might not be getting visible results yet but the project is still alive which, while not desirable, is much better than dead in the water and no plans for another anytime soon. And the event centre space will never suddenly become student apartments. BAM will have to apply for apartments (assuming the site is zoned for them) and the public are free to object to this and appeal a grant of approval.

Not suddenly, but if and when the event centre project dies, there's nothing to stop bam applying for planning permission for something else, even if City Council are pissed at them, they'll have to legally treat the proposal fairly, as will an Bord pleanála, and you can guarantee there'll be some public realm addition to the plan, like an arts centre, heritage site, preferably something that can be dropped half way through, (think cinema or something for the counting House, and food centre thingy for the capitol building), they might follow through with a Bord walk...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not suddenly, but if and when the event centre project dies, there's nothing to stop bam applying for planning permission for something else, even if City Council are pissed at them, they'll have to legally treat the proposal fairly, as will an Bord pleanála, and you can guarantee there'll be some public realm addition to the plan, like an arts centre, heritage site, preferably something that can be dropped half way through, (think cinema or something for the counting House, and food centre thingy for the capitol building), they might follow through with a Bord walk...

Weren't there lots of these in the original plans, which have already been dropped?

even if City Council are pissed at them, they'll have to legally treat the proposal fairly, as will an Bord pleanála, and you can guarantee there'll be some public realm addition to the plan, like an arts centre, heritage site, preferably something that can be dropped half way through, (think cinema or something for the counting House, and food centre thingy for the capitol building), they might follow through with a Bord walk...

This is an important site to the city centre and needs a project which will benefit the public realm. Done deal. Dublin City Council do this successfully all of the time, CCC would have zero legal issues rejecting student accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

They'll probably end up building more horrible student accommodation there instead. If people want things to be done properly then they're going to have to stop voting for shysters.

BazzFan123 wrote: »

The site is zoned for student accomodation along with a variety of other uses. It will be a very easy task to get planning once the event centre fiasco is finally put out of its misery. The sooner the better.

• Advertisement

So the general consensus is that the events centre probably will never happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

They could probably stop it if they really want to. Argue the density of student apartments in the area is too high, like how they did/were going to with a restaurant looking to open on Washington Street

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

It will happen, I just think it won't happen on the Beamish site, too much money to be made with students..coffee shops and supermarkets (24hrs). Down the docklands is where it should be, might get city council off their ass and get some decent transport system up and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

3 years ago, the general concensus here was that it would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It will happen, I just think it won't happen on the Beamish site, too much money to be made with students..coffee shops and supermarkets (24hrs). Down the docklands is where it should be, might get city council off their ass and get some decent transport system up and going.

Why do you think the council would do this? They have absolutely zero statutory power or budget to implement any form of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Can you explain to me why this project would be viable in the Docklands and not in the existing location. I have heard this alternative location idea from a few posters and no one has explained how a new location wood transform the financial viability issue.

I suspect the project will go ahead. I know it's attractive, but I simply don't buy into the conspiracy theories. By the way there is 0 hope that the City Council would Grant permission for a student accommodation on the rest of the site. Just because one particular land use is broadly permissible in principle doesn't mean that the Planning Authority can not refuse it on a very wide range of criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

mire wrote: »
    Can you explain to me why this project would be viable in the Docklands and not in the existing location. I have heard this alternative location idea from a few posters and no one has explained how a new location wood transform the financial viability issue.

I suspect the project will go ahead. I know it's attractive, but I simply don't buy into the conspiracy theories. By the way there is 0 hope that the City Council would Grant permission for a student accommodation on the rest of the site. Just because one particular land use is broadly permissible in principle doesn't mean that the Planning Authority can not refuse it on a very wide range of criteria.

Because I likes driving me car from Dungourney/Macroom right in to de City, so the marina is the only logical spot for me.

Seriously though, a lot of people can't imagine not using their cars and the idea of an events centre like this in a not-car-friendly location is a tough one for them to comprehend. If you live in an estate somewhere like Kilavullen, Donoughmore or Riverstick, you're not going to like the idea of using public transport and/or cycling.

This is the Cork issue in a nutshell: the County is trying to encourage sprawl in/to car-dependent "dormitory" towns like Youghal / Watergrasshill / Inishannon whereas the City is trying to encourage core density. I'd say until such time as the centre is fully pedestrianised (other than taxi/public transport/cycle) then this type of discussion will continue.

mire wrote: »

This! I get the frustration on this thread but I don't get the conspiracy theories. We are where we are because people with a lack of experience in getting these sort of venues done ****ed up. It's not some grand long term masterplan to turn the whole site into student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Seriously though, a lot of people can't imagine not using their cars and the idea of an events centre like this in a not-car-friendly location is a tough one for them to comprehend.

I'm of the same opinion, the Beamish site never made sense to me.

It's not even just access to cars, but no matter what measures you put in place, people will try to drive as close as possible with their kids.

Look at the mess in the mornings in the surrounding area, when people are dropping their kids to 1 of the 3 schools, or on their way towards UCC.

The docklands have the two things that the Beamish site will never have and that's surrounding space and ease of access.

It's space for the multiple private coaches, taxis, emergency vehicles and the vast number of contractors that will need full access all day.

The brewery area, there's little to nothing you can do, other than locking down the surrounding streets for a full 24hrs during events.

I always felt that Kennedy Quay is an ideal location for an event centre where you have empty sites like the old Odlums building, that aren't far off in area space to the Point Depot in Dublin.

There's already plans in place to build a boardwalk and floating pontoon along Albert Quay, along with the upgrades to Victoria Road.

Combine that with the Water Street Bridge, if it ever gets built and you have two points of access that will clear people as fast as possible to the existing bus and train stations.

Add to that, the idea of a Luas system, which will definitely need to run somewhere near the docklands, if it's going from Kent station and including Pairc Uí Caoimh.

And a park and ride at Dunkettle and all of a sudden, you have the making of a transport plan that doesn't bring the city to a grinding halt, every time there's an event going on and gets people on their way home, as quickly and easily as possible.

• Advertisement

Why don't they just pedestrianise most of the city centre? Have multiple park and rides for different outskirt areas of the city and only allow buses and taxis in the city centre (i.e. areas inside the river)

Advertisement