Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The High Court challenge by Glen Eagle has been dropped :)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gleneagle-drops-legal-challenge-to-cork-event-centres-50m-state-funding-994346.html

Great news. I wasn't expecting them to drop it so quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Some one had a word in their ear.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

roundymac wrote: »

Hopefully something along the lines of "Don't worry, we won't be booking all the shyte acts you usually book".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Oh good, that’s the final hurdle out of the way. Until something else comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Hopefully something along the lines of "Don't worry, we won't be booking all the shyte acts you usually book".

More like "don't worry about it. We'll all be dead of old age by the time it's built!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

who_me wrote: »
    More like "don't worry about it. We'll all be dead of old age by the time it's built!"

I dunno , if there's a slow down coming bam will want to move with it ... Of course construction costs are going to be higher , and well yes it is taking considerably longer than expected to build ,that extras list is getting a bit long as well ...
    This is going to be a long ,drawn out and very expensive (for city council ) afair ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

roundymac wrote: »

Or they're currently losing their arse for the forseeable so best to avoid costly legal battles :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »

I've a modicum of hope I'll live to see it! Friend of mine lives on Cove St & asked if this meant anything for the pile of rubble that was the FAS building. Imagine that won't move 'til the Event Centre has kicked off construction. Yes I know I've made a whole shedload of assumptions there about the world getting out of the CV pandemic but still trying to be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i read yesterday that the billions being spent on welfare (and lost through tax revenues) etc during Covid-19 epidemic is almost certainly going to mean large infrastructural projects are unlikely to go ahead. This is another opportunity to stop the cork/limerick motor way from going ahead then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

who_ru wrote: »
    i read yesterday that the billions being spent on welfare (and lost through tax revenues) etc during Covid-19 epidemic is almost certainly going to mean large infrastructural projects are unlikely to go ahead. This is another opportunity to stop the cork/limerick motor way from going ahead then.

Where did you read this?

• Advertisement

Article in the Examiner today saying similar to what was posted earlier.

Cork centre may be overtaken by events

I'm gonna sound dumb here , but I'm going to list out how I think the plan for this project goes ,
    Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong / ridiculously wrong / a bit vague ?

BAM own the site ...
    BAM are going to be the main contractor for the build,
    City council are going to be "developer " ??
    City council and central government are putting up 50 million euro of a 70 million build ....
    Live Nation are going to be the operator of the building ...
    And when completed city council give up all interest in the building ...

Who's going to own it ? BAM ? Live Nation ? A third party ?
    Who's going to carry out the developers role for city council ? ( Instructing and checking on the main contractor BAM,)
    AND ,when the costs start to rise who's responsible to fund those increases ? The city ? As in, is city council contractually obligated to provide the finished building to the operator by a certain date ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm gonna sound dumb here , but I'm going to list out how I think the plan for this project goes ,
    Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong / ridiculously wrong / a bit vague ?

BAM own the site ...
    BAM are going to be the main contractor for the build,
    City council are going to be "developer " ??
    City council and central government are putting up 50 million euro of a 70 million build ....
    Live Nation are going to be the operator of the building ...
    And when completed city council give up all interest in the building ...

Who's going to own it ? BAM ? Live Nation ? A third party ?
    Who's going to carry out the developers role for city council ? ( Instructing and checking on the main contractor BAM,)
    AND ,when the costs start to rise who's responsible to fund those increases ? The city ? As in, is city council contractually obligated to provide the finished building to the operator by a certain date ?

Afaik Bam are the developers. All city council are doing is giving a fixed sum to make it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Neil p saying according to Ken o Flynn live nation reviewing all capital projects could be bad news.

For a day or so there I almost held out hope it would be built in my lifetime :(

Fresh doubts raised over Cork event centre operation due to coronavirus pandemic

opus wrote: »
    For a day or so there I almost held out hope it would be built in my lifetime :(

Fresh doubts raised over Cork event centre operation due to coronavirus pandemic

tick tock tick tock until live nation announce shelving of investment?. the live entertainment and live major sport events world wide are essentially no longer in business and nobody has a clue when they will be back in business. it would be nice to think that if the events centre was completed in 18 months or so it could perfectly coincide with a vaccine for covid-19 and hit the ground running in what would be an incredible boom time for live entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

opus wrote: »

Will be easy for them to use Covid as an excuse now. We all know they were never interested much in building it from the get-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Will be easy for them to use Covid as an excuse now. We all know they were never interested much in building it from the get-go.

Read that article. I'd say Ken O Flynn is very close to Live Nation. They wont do anything without talking to him first I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frederick Clinton Quimby

It's a bit rich of Ken O' Flynn to be bleating about the city and business taking being so uncertain and ''so many major retail outlets are pulling out of Cork'' when he was outspokenly in favor of the outlet store complex in Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It's a bit rich of Ken O' Flynn to be bleating about the city and business taking being so uncertain and ''so many major retail outlets are pulling out of Cork'' when he was outspokenly in favor of the outlet store complex in Carrigtwohill.

Ken o Flynn is one of these lads trying to please everyone rather than taking a hard stance on anything. His policies and stances are generic to say the least.

• Advertisement

Glass cladding starting to appear on the office part of the non-event centre.

519217.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

What is this Events Centre you speak of?

There is nothing like this in Cork - and there never will be.:rolleyes:

(5yrs late = Not going to happen.)

What are the odds on Kildare Village II opening before the Events Centre......Jesus wept!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

And bam are having issues with the nch now seems to be always issues with them.

ofcork wrote: »
    they are looking for more money! blaming social distancing and reduced numbers on the site of the NCH, but the thing is they didn't even bother to return to the site at all. they seem quite happy to delay the project. they are what forms on water when soap is present.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

who_ru wrote: »
    they are looking for more money! blaming social distancing and reduced numbers on the site of the NCH, but the thing is they didn't even bother to return to the site at all. they seem quite happy to delay the project. they are what forms on water when soap is present.

The contractor that keeps on taking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

ofcork wrote: »

They should never be given another project in this country again. Absolute wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Seems very strange the Micheal Martin hasn't said a word on this since his appointment as taoiseach. Whatever you think of him, he will clearly be expected to deliver at least this for Cork.
    He might well leave Coveney to continue fronting this one though. If it works out (won't hold my breath), Martin will claim credit. If it finally collapses, it'll be Coveney's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Seems very strange the Micheal Martin hasn't said a word on this since his appointment as taoiseach. Whatever you think of him, he will clearly be expected to deliver at least this for Cork.
    He might well leave Coveney to continue fronting this one though. If it works out (won't hold my breath), Martin will claim credit. If it finally collapses, it'll be Coveney's fault.
    BAM have stopped being interested in this over the last few months. Already planning potential alternative uses of the site. Hotel and more offices is the plan.

Find it very hard to believe that BAM would be building a hotel and more offices on that site in this climate. Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

snotboogie wrote: »
    Find it very hard to believe that BAM would be building a hotel and more offices on that site in this climate. Where did you hear that?

Not in this climate, certainly not. Just looking to the future, I'm sure. Sensible approach.

• Advertisement

If there's a downturn , expect bam to get interested again ... If they can find an end customer to take it off their hands ...
    If not ,expect them to be eyeing up whatever government incentives will be announced to get things moving in the economy ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement