Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober November - who's in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I am still managing it but I have noted that days are very very slow - tis only day 11, my moustache for Movember is hairy, still no fissy drinks, sweets or crisps and most importantly, no alcohol.

Still, I have not been tested properly as I have a few social engagements coming up this month which will challenge me and people wont know what to do when I will be the only one not drinking.

A beer for me now days is more for unwinding and relaxing rather than going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Still going strong.
    Big test this weekend with visitors from England over and there always is a p!ss up when we meet up. I'm going to try stay focused, if iI get through this weekend I will be determined about finishing out the month

I felt that beer was me 'reward' or best way to 'unwind' but the past couple weeks I've just made a nice cup of tea instead. I still see the couple beers in the fridge but they don't interest me.
    Anyone who has gotten this far is doing great and showing great strength and should be very proud of themselves. Maybe at this point think of the few Bob you've saved up to now and thin of a treat you could buy yourself with that money... Just an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Still here. Struggling a bit though. However, I'll hold on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

I think a good way (for me anyway) to keep it going is the thought of perhaps having to start all over again.

Drink now and you'll have set yourself back almost two weeks. The two weeks to get back to where you were will feel even longer.

You've achieved something. Don't throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

drydub wrote: »
    Still going strong.
    Big test this weekend with visitors from England over and there always is a p!ss up when we meet up. I'm going to try stay focused, if iI get through this weekend I will be determined about finishing out the month

I felt that beer was me 'reward' or best way to 'unwind' but the past couple weeks I've just made a nice cup of tea instead. I still see the couple beers in the fridge but they don't interest me.
    Anyone who has gotten this far is doing great and showing great strength and should be very proud of themselves. Maybe at this point think of the few Bob you've saved up to now and thin of a treat you could buy yourself with that money... Just an idea

Would definitely agree with this about treating yourself. I am off the drink a couple of months. For me, training for a 10km run/ half marathon really keeps me focused and motivated. I have gotten into the habit of going out for a really nice breakfast after an early morning run at the weekends- it's a lovely way to start the weekend

Be kind to yourselves in other words!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Still here, this weekends gonna be a bitch though, with the Ireland game tomorrow night and I've got to head out Saturday too.

Nearly half way through the month guys, survive this weekend and then it will be easy here onwards.....keep up the good work everyone

Went into town for the match last night, but stayed dry thankfully. Once I got there I just reaffirmed the decision not to drink. And it was a good night! Nice to wake up today fresh.

Despite the miserable weather and the fact that my mother in law is staying, I still managed to abstain from drinking alcohol this weekend......I am still glad to be doing it but my body would just love that glass of vino or a cold bottle of beer to chill....half way there we are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

How does everyone feel physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

petes wrote: »

Obviously, it is great not being hungover but, in general, I don't feel that much different. Still completely unmotivated to do college work :P I do feel like I am losing weight though, I am also being way healthier as I am not eating drunk food or hungover food.

danslevent wrote: »
    Obviously, it is great not being hungover but, in general, I don't feel that much different. Still completely unmotivated to do college work :P I do feel like I am losing weight though, I am also being way healthier as I am not eating drunk food or hungover food.

It's probably different for me as I'm an alcoholic but I was just wondering. Suppose it has only been a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Feel great enjoying not having a hangover every weekend.

I'm going to keep going until the 11th of Dec I have a party that night and want to have a drink. Have 2 other parties between now and then but it would be handy to drive so not going to drink.

Really don't like drunk ppl sober so ill be out of there by 12

For me, my head feels a lot clearer. I'm doing things too. Alcohols seems to destroy what little motivation I generally have (unless it's stuff I want to do)!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

It's probably different for me as I'm an alcoholic but I was just wondering. Suppose it has only been a few weeks!

How do you feel?

danslevent wrote: »
    How do you feel?

Physically great, I haven't drank in a about a month and a half. Different than this thread but I was wondering did anyone here feel any better without drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I wonder if it would help to remember that quitting is a process and having spikes of cravings is normal. I know it was hard for me to let go of the idea that I could be "perfect at quitting" in the sense of not having any issues once I made my mind up. I had to learn and accept that quitting isn't about never having anymore cravings ever, but more about what we decide to do about them. Just a thought.

Hang in there folks we gone past the half way stage, 13 days left.....

as the body begins to recover of the shock of not having alcohol, fissy drinks for the last 18 days, i think that we are getting there, only 12 more days left

I am wondering if anyone is still left on the sober November or has most people departed with drink ? ;)

I'm still here, but it's only been two weeks as I'm heading for mid December. Find it grand so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Still here

Feel great I think im going to do this every year.

I'll be a cheap date by the time I have a drink on the 11th of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Still trucking here!

Not a bother to finish this out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Still here, great feeling every morning,

Up and atom for a run today, lovely day out. Going to drive the mrs into town and go for a stroll out Poolbeg while she's having a few jars and might finish off with a couple 0% Bavarias tonight watching the ball tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 frutierutie

If only I'd know this existed! Am on a dry November myself after having an horrific Halloween - am now off it 22 days and am delighted with myself. I originally went into this not sure how long I could stay off as I'd always say this after a bad session but surprise surprise I'm still here! I have visitors coming over this Wednesday to visit me and at the sart I did think to myself that it would be great if I could stick it til then. I had already decided that if I did last then I would let myself have a few drinks to celebrate.

I'm not so sure now what I'll do when the visitors are here as I know there will be a lot of dinners and so on which is when I really want to have a glass of wine - think I might just have to go day by day. Whatever happens I am definitely cutting back on drinking because I was wanting wine most nights (and not just stopping at one glass) and at the weekend I would automatically have alcohol - there was no suggestion of even having a weekend off even if I was staying in.

Well done to everyone who has also managed to stay dry, I know it may not sound like a big deal to anyone else but it's good to have support from people who know how hard this could be!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Still going here. Funny episode today, I nearly put shampoo on my toothbrush instead of toothpaste. Now I'm not saying it's linked to being off the beer, but I do find I'm doing a lot more silly things since November started.

Glad to still be off the drink this month but knowing that I am doin it with other folk makes it all worth the while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I didn't realise i was doing this by accident!!

Just copped that i haven't been out since the oct bh weekend, joys of part time degree, job and two babies!

So going to stick at it, might go till Christmas and see from there.

If only I'd know this existed! Am on a dry November myself after having an horrific Halloween - am now off it 22 days and am delighted with myself. I originally went into this not sure how long I could stay off as I'd always say this after a bad session but surprise surprise I'm still here! I have visitors coming over this Wednesday to visit me and at the sart I did think to myself that it would be great if I could stick it til then. I had already decided that if I did last then I would let myself have a few drinks to celebrate.

I'm not so sure now what I'll do when the visitors are here as I know there will be a lot of dinners and so on which is when I really want to have a glass of wine - think I might just have to go day by day. Whatever happens I am definitely cutting back on drinking because I was wanting wine most nights (and not just stopping at one glass) and at the weekend I would automatically have alcohol - there was no suggestion of even having a weekend off even if I was staying in.

Well done to everyone who has also managed to stay dry, I know it may not sound like a big deal to anyone else but it's good to have support from people who know how hard this could be!!

I agree , day by day. I was the same when i had visitors but once you set it out and the people know you are doing sober november it will help them understand. Other than that, buy the non alcoholic beers in well in advance to avoid temptation!

• Advertisement

Nearly there, it will be a nice feeling next Tuesday to say that I have given up the drink for one full month.

Advertisement