Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD FX 8320 any good?

Options
  • 27-10-2015 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

I will be using it for gaming. It's an 8 core CPU which costs the same as a Quad Core i5 4460

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And still won't perform better.

Single core performance is better on the i5. Games don't use 8 cores. Only rendering and professional apps do. And your ESB bill will pay off the i5 long term (68.25W vs 101.56W).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

ED E wrote: »

Single core performance is better on the i5. Games don't use 8 cores. Only rendering and professional apps do. And your ESB bill will pay off the i5 long term (68.25W vs 101.56W).

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Unless you're going to render, then get the core i5 4460. Most games only use 1-2 cores, which sadly, the FX has a poor LP module so it's cores are pretty poor in single-threaded (i.e Gaming) tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

My primary rig has the 8350 and I love it! I use it for games, Virtual Machines running various different operating systems, and (Trying!) answering posts and email.

However the Win-Tel group whist (In my opinion) are over priced and not native 8 processor cores! BUT! If you do not need/ want true 8 cores any of the I5s or higher will give you many happy gaming hours! I should also mention that the chips with integrated graphics are really rather good, as they have the graphics built on the chip, you can start gaming (Albeit at a lower quality) with spending a large wad of cash on a graphics card, allowing you to save your hard earned cash up to get the REALLY shiny new one when you have he funds..

Well, that is my two pennith worth! I Hope it helps.

Kev B (AKA {The} Mad Englishman)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

ED E wrote: »

:rolleyes: Always electricity bill

I moved in with my girl friend, I have an FX8350 I use my computer on average
    50 hours a week on a two month bill it went up bye a tenner per month I'll scan the bills for you so you can see the up in electricity if you like?

I live in Photoshop premier pro light room and capture one pro 8 My file size is for photography is a 60 mega pixel sensor. I also edit in 4k, the level of ****e you boys come out with about amd fx 8350 is complete bull.

When I'm buying a new camera I don't bye it based on what the manufacturer says. ( invidas recent scandal) I use it and then make an informed decision also quoting specs really? if yo had one I might listen.

Use the cpu first then tell me weather its good enough to your "standards", also i notice you don't even enquire what its going to be used for you just jump out with the old power excuse which is total bull ****. So what it use's more power.

The fact of the matter it gets the job done well, so what if it takes a little longer to "render" I don't care Ill go do some accounts work while I wait.
    :) productivity isnt about speed its about getting things done.

PS when I'm gaming I never get frame drop, Fx8350 7950 550 watt psu and still palying gtaV at high to ultra settings at 60 fps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So its bull****? But its true? What?

For gaming or general usage, i5, if you're rendering, then that's the only place the 8350/8320 will win out, at cost of being hotter and more power hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A xeon would be the better option for rendering or other cpu heavy work anyway.

The Piledriver architecture in the 8350 is too old. Either wait for AMD's new Zen architecture next year or get a Xeon if you need the power.

If just gaming an i5 is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

also i notice you don't even enquire what its going to be used for you just jump out with the old power excuse which is total bull ****.
    GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I will be using it for gaming.

You might want to hop down to specsavers - it was quite literally the first words in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:rolleyes: Always electricity bill

I moved in with my girl friend, I have an FX8350 I use my computer on average
    50 hours a week on a two month bill it went up bye a tenner per month I'll scan the bills for you so you can see the up in electricity if you like?

I live in Photoshop premier pro light room and capture one pro 8 My file size is for photography is a 60 mega pixel sensor. I also edit in 4k, the level of ****e you boys come out with about amd fx 8350 is complete bull.

When I'm buying a new camera I don't bye it based on what the manufacturer says. ( invidas recent scandal) I use it and then make an informed decision also quoting specs really? if yo had one I might listen.

Use the cpu first then tell me weather its good enough to your "standards", also i notice you don't even enquire what its going to be used for you just jump out with the old power excuse which is total bull ****. So what it use's more power.

The fact of the matter it gets the job done well, so what if it takes a little longer to "render" I don't care Ill go do some accounts work while I wait.
    :) productivity isnt about speed its about getting things done.

PS when I'm gaming I never get frame drop, Fx8350 7950 550 watt psu and still palying gtaV at high to ultra settings at 60 fps

Does she know your 8350 is taking you to bed as well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

GrayFox208 doesn't really benefit from any of this either way (unless he keeps re-regging), he's been booted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement