Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Jaysus, Warriors looked awfully average without Curry last night and not surprisingly lost. JJ Barea seems to be playing well at the moment from the limited times I've seen Dallas highlights or games lately.

Jimmy Butler with a slightly weird/unusual game winner last night (worth looking at). Indiana ran pretty much the same play to counter and Butler seemed to foul Paul George but no call.....ah NBA refs! :rolleyes:

Yep, its not really that surprising they lost, going up a good Mavs team in form without arguably the best player in the league. No Curry and you lose 20 to 30 plus points straight away.
    It may be a good thing for Warriors, let Curry rest and get over any niggly injuries, and see what players can step up.
    I think Iggy and Klay could do more when Curry is not playing.

To be fair to Cuban, he nearly always puts out a decent product in Dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Jaysus, Warriors looked awfully average without Curry last night and not surprisingly lost. JJ Barea seems to be playing well at the moment from the limited times I've seen Dallas highlights or games lately.

Jimmy Butler with a slightly weird/unusual game winner last night (worth looking at). Indiana ran pretty much the same play to counter and Butler seemed to foul Paul George but no call.....ah NBA refs! :rolleyes:

PG was fouled but I didn't like the playcall it all. We had 1.7 seconds left so we could have gotten a decent jumper away. Didn't need to lob it at the rim.

Happy New Year gents.

Currently regretting staying in to watch Pacers and Bucks.. -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched NBA Top 10 plays in 2015 (calendar year), Curry had 3 of them. He had an ok year I suppose.....:)

NufcNavan wrote: »
    PG was fouled but I didn't like the playcall it all. We had 1.7 seconds left so we could have gotten a decent jumper away. Didn't need to lob it at the rim.

It was a terrible call of a play but equally a terrible "no call" by the refs. You want to free a guy off s couple of screens for a 15 footer Max or in his sweet spot in that situation, not a low % play like that. Daft.

• Advertisement

Klay went for 38 and Harden had 30 last night after he and Harden had some comments back and forth in the media over the last few days.

On the phone so don't have the links to hand but google them if you're interested. Kinda funny. :)

Watched NBA Top 10 plays in 2015 (calendar year), Curry had 3 of them. He had an ok year I suppose.....:)

I was listening to a sports segment last week and the guy listed off all the things that curry achieved to make it such a great year for him, some were tongue in cheek but the one he ended on that made me laugh was, steph curry shot a 75 while playing golf with obama, he is now officially better than tiger Woods at golf.

Curry injured again. Don't want to worry just yet, but if any of y'all remember how injury prone he was in his first couple of years in the NBA then it's likely they'll wrap him in cotton wool for a few games and sit him.

And yes I know they were almost always ankle injuries and this is a shin, but you get injured when you play injured as the body's balance is out of sync.

Curry injured again. Don't want to worry just yet, but if any of y'all remember how injury prone he was in his first couple of years in the NBA then it's likely they'll wrap him in cotton wool for a few games and sit him.

And yes I know they were almost always ankle injuries and this is a shin, but you get injured when you play injured as the body's balance is out of sync.

I remember only too well, was very skeptical about curry for a while when he was going through those injuries plus he wasn't even close to the level of play he has achieved since.

I think a decision could come from the top to sit him and take every precaution they can. No curry = no repeat for sure. Main thing now is to try and keep no 1 spot, Spurs will come for it for sure if warriors loose a few games

I remember only too well, was very skeptical about curry for a while when he was going through those injuries plus he wasn't even close to the level of play he has achieved since.

I think a decision could come from the top to sit him and take every precaution they can. No curry = no repeat for sure. Main thing now is to try and keep no 1 spot, Spurs will come for it for sure if warriors loose a few games

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between 1 and 2 seed in the West this year. The same depth isn't there so there won't the same scramble for seedings that we're used to.

• Advertisement

He was injured so often in his first two years there were serious questions about his future in the league AND he was being talked about as trade material. Seems insane now but it did happen!

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between 1 and 2 seed in the West this year. The same depth isn't there so there won't the same scramble for seedings that we're used to.

I'd agree on the latter point but you still want home court no matter what. West looks like a 2 horse race though.

Something I've been meaning to touch on for a while....what's up with kd? Fed up and not really trying or injury hangover? Any thoughts?

I'd agree on the latter point but you still want home court no matter what. West looks like a 2 horse race though.

Something I've been meaning to touch on for a while....what's up with kd? Fed up and not really trying or injury hangover? Any thoughts?

Sure but it's a given GS and the Spurs will have homecourt.

Sure but it's a given GS and the Spurs will have homecourt.

Yes, but only one of them can have homecourt if the met in the West Conf. Finals. They can't both have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jimmy Butler :eek:

He was injured so often in his first two years there were serious questions about his future in the league AND he was being talked about as trade material. Seems insane now but it did happen!

I will admit I was more inclined to keep Ellis, you knew exactly what you were getting with him, steph really was an unknown quantity, not a true pg, look at him now, he has reinvented aspects of the game (ott, I know)

It's a two horse race but with pretty big impications, home court is huge, all the way to finals.

I will admit I was more inclined to keep Ellis, you knew exactly what you were getting with him, steph really was an unknown quantity, not a true pg, look at him now, he has reinvented aspects of the game (ott, I know)

Jaysus think if they'd kept Ellis over Curry? No championship, no Kerr (probably) and no doubt Ellis would have left by now anyway. Mad.

Jaysus think if they'd kept Ellis over Curry? No championship, no Kerr (probably) and no doubt Ellis would have left by now anyway. Mad.

Yea, let's not think about that...lol
    Its amazing what a change of ownership can do, Gruber and Lacob have literally transformed the franchise, maybe got lucky with Curry but they have made all the right moves since taking over, it ain't luck when it's consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Celtics considering playing a game outdoor at Fenway. Would be pretty cool

• Advertisement

Just looking at 2009 draft there, it's always fun to look back at the what ifs...

1. Blake Griffin
    2.Thabeet (flop)
    3. Harden
    4. Evans
    5. Rubio
    6. Flynn (flop)
    7. Curry (MVP)
    8. Jordan Hill
    9. DeRozan
    10. Jennings

Pretty strong top ten to be fair, but timber wolves drafting Flynn before Curry...wow...things could of turned out a whole lot differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Jimmy Butler man its pretty clear the Bulls are his team.

Regard Kobe playing against the Charlotte Hornets last week, Why was their a sorta "homecoming" given that the team that drafted him is now in New Orleans ? Does the new Charlotte get the records/history of the old team ?

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Jimmy Butler man its pretty clear the Bulls are his team.

40 in a half isn't bad, klay had 37 in a quarter ;)
    Only joking around, definitely has taken control of the team. I wonder would they ever use Rose in a trade deal, I know the city loves him but nothing lasts forever.
    He was my favorite player for a while there, such a shame he has had those injuries

40 in a half isn't bad, klay had 37 in a quarter ;)
    Only joking around, definitely has taken control of the team. I wonder would they ever use Rose in a trade deal, I know the city loves him but nothing lasts forever.
    He was my favorite player for a while there, such a shame he has had those injuries

The problem now is who'd take Rose given his injury history.

So sad really.

The problem now is who'd take Rose given his injury history.

So sad really.

Yea, it's a tough one for both player and organization. Everyone was kind of waiting for the fairytale ending, just isn't going to happen at this point.
    Most likely will let his contract run out and have a big chunk of change to sign a top player.
    Rose will never regain his MVP form but can definitely be productive if injury free (big if)
    Hope he doesn't go down the tracy McGrady route, was a shell of his former self towards the end of his houston spell and then bouncing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Yea, it's a tough one for both player and organization. Everyone was kind of waiting for the fairytale ending, just isn't going to happen at this point.
    Most likely will let his contract run out and have a big chunk of change to sign a top player.
    Rose will never regain his MVP form but can definitely be productive if injury free (big if)
    Hope he doesn't go down the tracy McGrady route, was a shell of his former self towards the end of his houston spell and then bouncing around

I struggle to see howthis version of Rose can be productive to be honest. Average passer at best, very poor 3 point shooter and Basketball IQ isnt insanely high either. Players who have suffered injuries such as is have had some of those traits. An example would be Shaun Livingston. Super high prospect, horrific injury but Elite IQ and passing ability. Obv not Rose's level but forged a good career given what happened.
    Rose needs to accept that he's not going to ever be a dynamic athlete again and go get himself a top level shooting coach.
    Jason Kidd, Vince Carter even Danny Green couldn't shoot early in their career. He needs to recreate his game entirely and I'm not convinced hes willing to accept it at least yet.

brady23 wrote: »
    I struggle to see howthis version of Rose can be productive to be honest. Average passer at best, very poor 3 point shooter and Basketball IQ isnt insanely high either. Players who have suffered injuries such as is have had some of those traits. An example would be Shaun Livingston. Super high prospect, horrific injury but Elite IQ and passing ability. Obv not Rose's level but forged a good career given what happened.
    Rose needs to accept that he's not going to ever be a dynamic athlete again and go get himself a top level shooting coach.
    Jason Kidd, Vince Carter even Danny Green couldn't shoot early in their career. He needs to recreate his game entirely and I'm not convinced hes willing to accept it at least yet.

I agree to a certain extent, maybe we have different ideas as to what productive is in the NBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I agree to a certain extent, maybe we have different ideas as to what productive is in the NBA.

NBA has evolved alot in the past few years. What Rose currently brings is not the direction its going.
    His assist rate is 23rd among PGs, his assist to turnover ratio 35/40 (Curry is 40th but he can be forgiven). Ranks last in FG% among qualifying PGs.

Ranks 56th of 60 in PER among all PGs and 83rd of 84 in RPM.

There is simply no argument on his production, it is absolutely abysmal and is worse than I even thought. Hes awful in raw stats and advanced metrics

NBA has evolved alot in the past few years. What Rose currently brings is not the direction its going.
    His assist rate is 23rd among PGs, his assist to turnover ratio 35/40 (Curry is 40th but he can be forgiven). Ranks last in FG% among qualifying PGs.

There is simply no argument on his production, it is absolutely abysmal and is worse than I even thought. Hes awful in raw stats and advanced metrics

No there isn't, I don't hear anyone saying he is but to say a player that is only a few years removed from MVP can't be productive in a different setting is not being totally fair.
    IF he stays healthy, Iam sure he would easily find a place in the league.

• Advertisement

Jesus I didn't think it was that bad, that's awful. Imagine if he were looking for his contract now?

He's insanely rich (from his adidas deal alone, never mind his playing contract) so he's going to be comfortable (to put it mildly) for life. Some of the things he's said and sone of his off court activities in recent years would worry you though about his desire to even be the best he can be anymore. He'll never be MVP again and he'll never gave the freakish speed and athleticism he once had. You take those away and he's a shadow of what he once was. He's definitely going to have to reinvent himself somehow.

Still hard to believe how good he was at 22 :(

Advertisement