Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Do you realise you have been talking to two people (myself and navan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Do you realise you have been talking to two people (myself and navan)

I didn't on this instance ha but what I said is still all true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

brady23 wrote: »
    I didn't on this instance ha but what I said is still all true

:D il get back to you later tad long to be responding to on phone

:D il get back to you later tad long to be responding to on phone

No need I'm off for 9 days now. I don't think I want to be debating this for that long. No bball for 9 days now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

LeBron went back to Cleveland after leaving for a bigger market initially. He made the decision for championships and his profile. He achieved what he wanted for the most part. He left a small market for a bigger market. His case is unique.

Lamarcus Aldridge has proved he can't be the best player on a winning team. Blazers were disbanding, he wanted a win now scenario given his age so he went to the Spurs.

First of all comparing the Knicks and Lakers is beyond stupid. You can't, the franchise's have taken totally different trajectories for years. If we're talking winning culture there is no comparison.
    Lottery picks for "years" LOL. What a load of ****e, that makes no sense. Here u go....

Knicks haven't had a top 10 pick before Porzingis since 2009 and the Lakers before Russell and Randle hadn't had one since 2005.
    So please elaborate how these franchises have used draft picks to get them out of a hole for years? Especially given 5 years is an NBA lifetime as previously suggested??
    Cleveland have attempted to use the draft to get them out of holes more so. Since the Lakers/Knicks last had a top 10 draft pick before the above mentioned, they drafted Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett, Waiters and Thompson all top 5. Seems more of a reliance on the draft no??
    I didn't compare Knicks and Lakers. I outlined that they are examples that 'big market' culture counts for jack anymore.

Your reasoning on LMA proves my point. The Lakers were willing to throw a ball of money at him but he still refused. Hell, even Greg Monroe turned down a deal from the Knicks to go to the Milwaukee Bucks. What did that say about their 'big markets'?

So do you mean to tell me the Lakers and Knicks were playing to win last season? They were playing to lose i.e depending on a lottery pick.

The Cavs spent too long being a lottery team because they generally made bad picks and were a badly run organisation. You don't need me to tell you that tanking is a sure fire route to success.

You in a few posts later acknowledged the Spurs' winning culture, yet a few posts back dismissed the notion altogether. :confused:

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I didn't compare Knicks and Lakers. I outlined that they are examples that 'big market' culture counts for jack anymore.

Your reasoning on LMA proves my point. The Lakers were willing to throw a ball of money at him but he still refused. Hell, even Greg Monroe turned down a deal from the Knicks to go to the Milwaukee Bucks. What did that say about their 'big markets'?

So do you mean to tell me the Lakers and Knicks were playing to win last season? They were playing to lose i.e depending on a lottery pick.

The Cavs spent too long being a lottery team because they generally made bad picks and were a badly run organisation. You don't need me to tell you that tanking is a sure fire route to success.

You in a few posts later acknowledged the Spurs' winning culture, yet a few posts back dismissed the notion altogether. :confused:

I'd gloss over the waffle of the lottery Lakers/Knicks suggestion too. I never said they were playing to win, you suggested they are relying on lottery for years and its the most laughable argument you have made.

Monroe is a good example but you did put the Lakers and Knicks in the same boat and they're not.
    So much more about the Lakers organisation than the Knicks. Lakers have history and destination, Knicks only have one like Boston only has one.

I never said the Spurs didn't have a winning culture??? Where did I dismiss that?? My Aldridge argument proves me right, no matter how bad big market teams are they still get guys in the room. They didn't get him and I don't blame him but the allure is there. You think the Wolves get Aldridge in a room?

I'd gloss over the waffle of the lottery Lakers/Knicks suggestion too. I never said they were playing to win, you suggested they are relying on lottery for years and its the most laughable argument you have made.

Monroe is a good example but you did put the Lakers and Knicks in the same boat and they're not.
    So much more about the Lakers organisation than the Knicks. Lakers have history and destination, Knicks only have one like Boston only has one.

I never said the Spurs didn't have a winning culture??? Where did I dismiss that?? My Aldridge argument proves me right, no matter how bad big market teams are they still get guys in the room. They didn't get him and I don't blame him but the allure is there. You think the Wolves get Aldridge in a room?

Hmm. I don't mind debating a topic but I find your condescending and dismissive attitude towards opinions different than yours tiresome, so this is my last post on the issue.

I said they were relying on a lottery pick for a few years (i.e more than one), which is absolutely true. The Lakers didn't drop into the lottery but still got the 7th pick. The Knicks lost their pick because of the Melo trade and went on to suck even harder the next season.

Bottom line is Monroe could easily have went to a big market team like the Knicks or Lakers and he didn't. Figure out why. And Boston has a lot more going for it than LA at the moment. Don't kid yourself.

You dismissed the idea of winning culture more than once in the last few pages. And your 'argument' about big markets getting dudes in a room. That's clutching at straws if I've ever seen it. It's the FA market, players test the waters everywhere. What matters is the decision they make.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Hmm. I don't mind debating a topic but I find your condescending and dismissive attitude towards opinions different than yours tiresome, so this is my last post on the issue.

I said they were relying on a lottery pick for a few years (i.e more than one), which is absolutely true. The Lakers didn't drop into the lottery but still got the 7th pick. The Knicks lost their pick because of the Melo trade and went on to suck even harder the next season.

Bottom line is Monroe could easily have went to a big market team like the Knicks or Lakers and he didn't. Figure out why. And Boston has a lot more going for it than LA at the moment. Don't kid yourself.

You dismissed the idea of winning culture more than once in the last few pages. And your 'argument' about big markets getting dudes in a room. That's clutching at straws if I've ever seen it. It's the FA market, players test the waters everywhere. What matters is the decision they make.

Ok clutching at straws is your defense about the Lakers/Knicks draft comment which is just ridiculous.

Just showing how Lakers have history and destination, never said Boston didn't they are in a great spot

Regarding the dismissing the Spurs winning culture. Thats just a total lie. Please show me where I said that.

None of arguments make a whole lot of sense bar the Monroe one which was decent tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Lakers are way more likely to get a megastar to sit down and talk to them than well 95% of the teams in the league. They have history and well the best destination in America in Hollywood.
    Anyone who thinks that they have less a chance that the likes of Timberwolves havent a clue about sports not just basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

astonaidan wrote: »
    Lakers are way more likely to get a megastar to sit down and talk to them than well 95% of the teams in the league. They have history and well the best destination in America in Hollywood.
    Anyone who thinks that they have less a chance that the likes of Timberwolves havent a clue about sports not just basketball.

Not all megastar only chase for money or big market in LA, just like howard, maybe the next target for lakers is KD, let's see what it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

GSW lose again!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Very unusual play down the stretch where Curry (:eek:) lost the ball on the dribble. Hard to criticise the guy given all he's done and even the monster 3 he hit just before this (with 37seconds left, honestly he was miles out), but he took too much out of the ball on this play. And they ran a poor last play. Klay shot too quickly and wasn't properly set, and it looked like Curry and not KT was the intended receiver.

In other news.....
    http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/2016/01/13/1452661134842-CAVSMOZHAT0123_WEB.mov-226567

Pacers choke yet again against the Celtics last night.

We are the most un-clutch team in the league. It's not even close.

Having a hard time liking the roster we've put together this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

GSW lose again!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Very unusual play down the stretch where Curry (:eek:) lost the ball on the dribble. Hard to criticise the guy given all he's done and even the monster 3 he hit just before this (with 37seconds left, honestly he was miles out), but he took too much out of the ball on this play. And they ran a poor last play. Klay shot too quickly and wasn't properly set, and it looked like Curry and not KT was the intended receiver.

In other news.....
    http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/2016/01/13/1452661134842-CAVSMOZHAT0123_WEB.mov-226567

I agree, I only saw the last quarter but what a final few minutes, nine points down and they nearly win it. If Curry didn't mishandle that dribble he would of nailed that shot, I would of put my house on it.
    They have a really tough road trip ahead of them, could be one or two more losses ahead of them. Good decision to rest draymond, will need him big time over the next half dozen games or so.
    People criticized warriors for resting him, he could of played but guy is clearly a bit banged up, body needs to recover.
    If teams have learned anything from popovich, it's that he has led the way in resting players, look at how successful he has been....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

FY, Magic - Raptors is on at 8 Irish time tonight live from London for anyone interested in catching some ball at a normal hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

delph09 wrote: »
    Not all megastar only chase for money or big market in LA, just like howard, maybe the next target for lakers is KD, let's see what it will happen.

I didnt say they would get them, but they all sit down with the Lakers, Rockets arent really Wolves are they, they have no tax so the money Howard makes would Id say match LA and well they have plenty of sun aswell in Texas.
    Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if Dwight ended up in a massive market come summer, Kobes tough love drove him out of LA and they need a new centre and well Dwight has a opt out :D

I agree, I only saw the last quarter but what a final few minutes, nine points down and they nearly win it. If Curry didn't mishandle that dribble he would of nailed that shot, I would of put my house on it.
    They have a really tough road trip ahead of them, could be one or two more losses ahead of them. Good decision to rest draymond, will need him big time over the next half dozen games or so.
    People criticized warriors for resting him, he could of played but guy is clearly a bit banged up, body needs to recover.
    If teams have learned anything from popovich, it's that he has led the way in resting players, look at how successful he has been....

Yeah you'd have to have fancied them to beat Denver even without Draymond but the problem is EVERYONE wants to beat them now, EVERYONE, EVERYGAME. If they want 73, they'll have to go hard all night and I don't see the point tbh. If they win 73 and lose to San An it'll mean sheeeeet. Pop still has his guys on the 26minute rotations...only Kwahi plays over 30mins per night, only Aldrige and Parker are breaking the 26min mark right now in addition to Kwahi. That Pop guy seems pretty smart.....;)

By contrast, GS have 5 guys playing 28mins per night, 3 playing 30+, KY playing 33.2, Curry 34.0 and Green playing 34.9.

San Antonio are in beast mode, great game with high intensity.
    At one stage in the 4th, popovich ducks the head off parker on his way back down the court, I mean he let's loose on him. Next time out, Parker was giving the team talk, popovich was just sitting there, the players have so much respect for him.
    Imagine Blatt going off on lebron..lmao

Kobes 1800 points against Warriors is the most against any opponent. Leaves the game at 3:04 to standing ovation, waves and says "thank you"

What a player !!!

#NBARank ranking NBA players by position. PF, PG and SG done so far. My only major issue so far is the ranking of Steph and the way the rankings are going Durant looks to be too high also.
    Granted I think they'll go as high as predicted if their careers keep going and some championships happen for them but if they're being ranked in 2016 it looks too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sure, it was against the 76ers, but just the 53 points for Jimmy Butler the other night. :eek:

• Advertisement

#NBARank ranking NBA players by position. PF, PG and SG done so far. My only major issue so far is the ranking of Steph and the way the rankings are going Durant looks to be too high also.
    Granted I think they'll go as high as predicted if their careers keep going and some championships happen for them but if they're being ranked in 2016 it looks too high.

I wouldn't pay attention to any of that stuff, it's just one big sound byte if you ask me, it can be fun but not exactly an exact science

Noah out for 4-6 months. I highly doubt he'll be re-signed in the offseason so possibly he has played his last game as a Bull. A sad way for it to end if so. He was a monster in 2013-2014 and has been a very solid Bull largely since he was drafted.

Paully D wrote: »
    Noah out for 4-6 months. I highly doubt he'll be re-signed in the offseason so possibly he has played his last game as a Bull. A sad way for it to end if so. He was a monster in 2q013-2014 and has been a very solid Bull largely since he was drafted.

He was my MVP that season, just a monster on both ends. It is a sad way to end it in Chicago. He gives 110%

Warriors just getting beat up right now, missing lay ups, pistons have killed them. First time this season I've been shouting at tv.
    I said it would be a tough road trip, curry can't do it all on his own.

I think the in grand scheme of things, Noahs injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Bulls. Extra time for Mirotic and Portis. Obviously sucks for him, I woulda liked to see a Bulls Cavs eastern finals but definitely long term isn't so bad for the Bulls because they aren't winning the east with this current roster

It was a strange game, they got badly beaten on the scoreboard and they gopt physically and mentally beat up too.

Curry delivered though, including a huge 3 from the P in the Pistons logo at laf court. Not a buzzer beater or a heave, a regular shot.

Be also got clobbered on a lay up after releasing the shot, complained and got a T. Hate that.....

Their lat 3 games they're 1-2, CRISIS MODE!!!!!

Can you share the links?

Also, what's your issue with Curry's ranking? I'm saying this not having seen the list, but right now he's the best player in the league. No question.

Warriors have lost 2 of their last 3 games. It's clearly time for them to blow it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

i think the Spurs will end up number 1 in the west they now how to pace themselves more than the Warriors .

It was a strange game, they got badly beaten on the scoreboard and they gopt physically and mentally beat up too.

Curry delivered though, including a huge 3 from the P in the Pistons logo at laf court. Not a buzzer beater or a heave, a regular shot.

Be also got clobbered on a lay up after releasing the shot, complained and got a T. Hate that.....

Their lat 3 games they're 1-2, CRISIS MODE!!!!!

oh just wait for the skip baylesses of the world start explaining it.
    Trade for Durrant asap...lol

If I had to choose, Spurs would always be my pick to win it, neck and neck with Warriors but I think they have an edge.
    Warriors will bounce back, still have some really tough games ahead.

• Advertisement

oh just wait for the skip baylesses of the world start explaining it.
    Trade for Durrant asap...lol

If I had to choose, Spurs would always be my pick to win it, neck and neck with Warriors but I think they have an edge.
    Warriors will bounce back, still have some really tough games ahead.

The western conference finals this year will be amazing assuming both GSW and the Spurs get there, as I hope they do. They're the two best teams in basketball right now by a distance - even allowing for the Warriors' current blip. It should really be the finals in many ways.

Though I think both are capable of winning on the other's court, home court will be crucial in this. Given they have yet to play each other in the regular season and have to do so multiple times before the end of April, those games now have greater significance as it's tough enough to win once on your opponents court in the playoffs, you don't want to have to do it twice. All of those Suprs warriors games between now and then will be fascinating.

Fully healthy I take the Warriors over Suprs, but it will be close.

Advertisement