Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

but bird did dominate the league the celtics finished first in the east 8 of his first 9 seasons. he was not athletic by any means but he was very dominant and imagine what he could do in this era where players are told to fire 3s at will :eek:

Oh God all of that lost credibility when you said young LeBron is better than current LeBron. The guy almost averaged 30.1 11.5 and 8.5 in the playoffs last year??

You guys can agree with one another if yee like, its fine but you're wrong. It's a debate right now but LBJ wins. In a few years time when LBJ is retired it won't even be a conversation so it'll be widely accepted LBJ is better

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

brady23 wrote: »
    Oh God all of that lost credibility when you said young LeBron is better than current LeBron. The guy almost averaged 30.1 11.5 and 8.5 in the playoffs last year??

You guys can agree with one another if yee like, its fine but you're wrong. It's a debate right now but LBJ wins. In a few years time when LBJ is retired it won't even be a conversation so it'll be widely accepted LBJ is better

Lol. Thanks for the laughs.

LeBron of 3-5 years ago was significantly better than current LeBron. Even Stevie Wonder can see he's in decline, but not you.

Lol. Thanks for the laughs.

LeBron of 3-5 years ago was significantly better than current LeBron. Even Stevie Wonder can see he's in decline, but not you.

I said current LeBron is better than young LeBron not LeBron start of Miami is better than now.

I don't know why you are LOLing me. Vast majority of espn analysts and pundits on nba.com agree.

Did you come to that conclusion from a forensic examination or.....???
    Please elaborate how you have forensically studied basketball and come to your conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Espn analysts agree, raw stats agree and advanced metrics agree.
    LBJ is superior and saying a player of LBJs athleticism wouldn't dominate in the 80s is laughable. The crying this is just a stupid comment and reduces your arguments credibility. Like all my arguments here, I have stats or analysts opinions to back it up.
    You pretty much nailed it, you've been watching the game since 84 you're blinded by nostalgia. I would assume Buttersuki and Valentina Raspy Tummy are older than me.
    I think LBJ is better, my age is irrelevant, I don't think Shaq is better than Bill Russell.

Just to add Buttersuki, you mentioned you studied the game forensically?? Can you elaborate?? That seems unlikely given your willingness to often dismiss statistics.

Ah ya I'm to old and nostalgic to judge but you who has likely never seen bird play is a fair judge ???
    (I'm 26 by the way i was not born when bird was at his peak I just watch a lot of old games) and how many Larry bird games have you watched?

I said current LeBron is better than young LeBron not LeBron start of Miami is better than now.

I don't know why you are LOLing me. Vast majority of espn analysts and pundits on nba.com agree.

Did you come to that conclusion from a forensic examination or.....???
    Please elaborate how you have forensically studied basketball and come to your conclusions.

Lebron now is a more intelligent player but lebron on the original cavs team (as you said) dragged that team to the finals on his own, that team was a high lottery team without him I saw him turn it on and destroy the kg/pierce/Allen Celtics and beat them in games on his own I don't think lebron right now could do that

• Advertisement

Ah ya I'm to old and nostalgic to judge but you who has likely never seen bird play is a fair judge ???
    (I'm 26 by the way i was not born when bird was at his peak I just watch a lot of old games) and how many Larry bird games have you watched?

Well that's worse if someone who's that young can't accept that LBJ is superior. Statistically and dominance of an era. Like at least my arguments have merit you're 26 and have watched old highlights and that's it. I have stats experts agreeing and my own opinion. You just have your opinion and Buttersukis forensics

And yes you're right I probably haven't seen as much Bird but clearly seen more LeBron if you think young is better than now

Espn analysts agree, raw stats agree and advanced metrics agree.
    LBJ is superior and saying a player of LBJs athleticism wouldn't dominate in the 80s is laughable. The crying this is just a stupid comment and reduces your arguments credibility. Like all my arguments here, I have stats or analysts opinions to back it up.
    You pretty much nailed it, you've been watching the game since 84 you're blinded by nostalgia. I would assume Buttersuki and Valentina Raspy Tummy are older than me.
    I think LBJ is better, my age is irrelevant, I don't think Shaq is better than Bill Russell.

Just to add Buttersuki, you mentioned you studied the game forensically?? Can you elaborate?? That seems unlikely given your willingness to often dismiss statistics.

I'm not blinded by nostalgia at all. I can however distinguish between flash and hard work, talent and choking.

The crying comment is not stupid. LBJ is a whinger and a flopper and has long history with both. For a guy built like he is, he's a baby. Imagine what those Pistons teams of the late 80s/early 90s would have done to him?

I don't and haven't dismissed stats - that's a complete representation of what I said. I said you can't judge a player on stats alone and that stats can be misleading, and I qualified that.

I never said Shaq was better than Russell, what has that got to do with anything?

You seem to think I'm saying he's a reject? I'm absolutely not. But not for me is he better than Bird. And plenty agree with me (links below).

Has he more physical gifts? Yes.
    Has he the heart? No.
    Who has the better basketball brain? Bird.
    Better shooter? Bird - are you going to debate that?
    better scorer? Bird - are you going to debate that?
    Better rebounder? Bird - are you going to debate that?
    Better passer? Bird
    Better defensive player? Bird
    Better clutch? Bird - not even close on this one.

Some of those you could argue - passing for example, but here's again where stats don't show things that are intangible like ease of pass versus degree of difficult. Let's even call it a tie.

Defence? Different era, different style of play. So let's call it a tie.

Clutch? Come on. Bird was cold. He was the best game on the line guy ever pre-Jordan.

By the time he's finished LBJ MAY have amassed a better body of work than Bird. He may have more points, rebound, assists, titles, MVPs (and yes I know he has most of those already)....but does that make him a better player? I don't think so. I'm judging guys in their prime. Bird played his last few years with a seriously bad back, an injury that seriously took from his game.

Oh, and since you like stats so much:

Larry Bird vs. LeBron James at Age 30 Player/Year
    PPG APG RPG FG % PER
    Bird (1986-87) 28.1 7.6 9.2 52.5 26.4
    James (2014-15) 25.3 7.4 6.0 48.8 25.9

Source: Basketball-Reference.com

As for this kinda stuff......:eek::rolleyes:

And there's dozens of clips like those.

I'll leave you with these:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2543005-reggie-miller-says-hed-take-larry-bird-over-lebron-james-in-hypothetical-draft

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/john-tomase/2015/06/10/lebron-james-amazing-heres-why-id-still-take

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/who-would-you-rather-have-in-their-prime--larry-bird-or-lebron-james-143912075.html

http://www.celticslife.com/2014/08/larry-vs-lebron-why-bird-is-better.html

This one is just funny:
    https://twitter.com/TerezOwens/status/662667929398349824/photo/1

Well that's worse if someone who's that young can't accept that LBJ is superior. Statistically and dominance of an era. Like at least my arguments have merit you're 26 and have watched old highlights and that's it. I have stats experts agreeing and my own opinion. You just have your opinion and Buttersukis forensics

And yes you're right I probably haven't seen as much Bird but clearly seen more LeBron if you think young is better than now

No iv not seen highlights iv seen a lot of full games. And i could get a lot of analysts and former players who say bird is better don't see how that fits your argument.

So what your saying is we (who have seen bird and young and old lebron) are idiots because we don't believe what you believe (who's watched **** all bird and seems to be a box score score watcher as much as anything else) cool been fun arguing with you no point in continuing as were idiots who can't compete with your massive intellect :D

I don't see how the National League has relevance to be honest. I have very similar accolades in athletics and far superior professional accolades to back up my understanding of what I see but I don't go wagging my dick around. Considering I also played at a similar 18 saying that isn't impressive and makes you look stupid and arrogant for no reason.

At this point I don't really mind. I've made my point I have more than enough info to back me up.

Decided to delete a piece of what I said regarding myself, sounded like too much of a dick and/or like yourself

MOD: Quote removed
    Wow. You asked me a question about my basketball bonafides, I answer it and I'm a dick , stupid and arrogant for telling the truth? Wow.

I wasn't boasting. Not at all. Those are things I don't mention on here. You asked.

Then reply with insults. And I'm the dick?

• Advertisement

Wow. You asked me a question about my basketball bonafides, I answer it and I'm a dick , stupid and arrogant for telling the truth? Wow.

I wasn't boasting. Not at all. Those are things I don't mention on here. You asked.

Then reply with insults. And I'm the dick?

No I asked about your basketball "forensics" considering I never heard of such a thing then u wagged your dick and yes u are a dick.
    Never asked your credentials just more about these "forensics" I deleted mine when I read it back cos it was embarrassing and felt I sounded like you.

I don't see how the National League has relevance to be honest. I have very similar accolades in athletics and far superior professional accolades to back up my understanding of what I see but I don't go wagging my dick around. Considering I also played at a similar 18 saying that isn't impressive and makes you look stupid and arrogant for no reason.

At this point I don't really mind. I've made my point I have more than enough info to back me up.

Decided to delete a piece of what I said regarding myself, sounded like too much of a dick and/or like yourself

Backs it up how? You've more or less admitted you've never seen one player play but your adamant another is better than him

No I asked about your basketball "forensics" considering I never heard of such a thing then u wagged your dick and yes u are a dick.
    Never asked your credentials just more about these "forensics" I deleted mine when I read it back cos it was embarrassing and felt I sounded like you.

Not really what he said was relevant he claims to have a lot of playing and coaching experience don't see how that is "wagging your dick" as you so eloquently put it its relevant and the fact that he has actually been watching basketball consistently since the 80s is massively relivant

It's cool I won't post again. I'm embarrassed by referring to what I do to make a point not my style. I won't comment again.
    Buttersuki, I PM'd you to delete the bit quoting me which I previously deleted.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

<snip>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No need to post images that will only enrage other users - that's personal and is a sitewide rule.

Play nice and heed the mod warnings folks. :)

Ooh, you know sh*t went down when an outsider mod visits the basketball forum. :pac:

There are 0 centers starting the all star game that not right I agree with the smallest and bigs setup but you need a centre or at least a power forward/center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Zaza pachulia getting more votes than Cousins is a bit of a joke aswell, some funny business going on there.

Zaza pachulia getting more votes than Cousins is a bit of a joke aswell, some funny business going on there.

He has a country voting for just him in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Little bit of comic relief from Shaq.

https://streamable.com/ogx7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

and J Smoove heads back to Houston......
    The Houston Rockets have re-acquired Los Angeles Clippers forward Josh Smith, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
    The Clippers had considered waiving Smith, league sources said. The trade allows them to save $2 million in luxury tax.

Several Rockets players were eager for the the team to bring back Smith, league sources told Yahoo.

After losing Smith to the Clippers in free agency in July, his inability to find a role with Los Angeles made him expendable almost immediately.

Smith had regret over leaving the Rockets, where he had found a significant role in the team’s run to the Western Conference Finals last season. Smith signed a one-year deal with the Clippers for the league minimum, but never meshed with coach Doc Rivers.

The Clippers will send cash to cover the remaining $460,000 on Smith’s $1.4 million minimum salary this season and the draft rights to Sergei Lishouk. Houston sends the Clippers the rights to Maarty Leunen. Neither player is expected to play in the NBA.

Smith averaged 12 points, six rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.2 blocks in 55 games for the Rockets a season ago.

This year, including three DNP's in his final five games with the Clippers, Smith averaged 5.7 points in 14.3 minutes a game.

The Rockets are 22-22 and holding onto the seventh playoff seed in the Western Conference.

So that's now two teams paying Josh Smith not to play for them.

reports that the cavs have fired assistant coach david blast

edit:and the assistant to the assistant will take over on a multi year deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Reports coming out that Cleveland Cavaliers have fired head coach David Blatt, Guessing the game against the warriors played a factor and LeBron probably made the decision aka put the blame on Blatt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Ty Lue signs a 3 yr deal to take over as head coach according to Woj, LeBron apparently wanted to be coached by Ty. Windhorst saying LeBron wasn't consulted on decision and was informed earlier. Was pretty clear LeBron wasn't Blatt's biggest fan and that loss to Golden State had to play a massive part in this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Blatt was the wrong coach for the Cavs. I've no doubt he'll go on to coach a team with good young players and be very successful. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the wolves bring him in at the end of year as a replacement for Flip to nurture the young stars they have. I don't think he was the right guy to bring into a team with 3 all stars.

The best thing that ever happened to Lebron was Pat Riley. The Godfather's strong personality kept Lebron in line. Pat Riley was never going to be strong-armed into doing anything, which was good for Lebron because it meant that he could focus 100% on being a player instead of trying to run the franchise.

Lebron should have stayed in Miami. I think it's more likely than not at this point that he never wins another ring. Kobe found out the hard way that he needed Phil Jackson, but I don't think Lebron is going to realise that he needs a strong authoritarian figure over him until it's too late. No player should run an entire organisation like this. Lebron never had any respect for Blatt and it's pretty obvious what happened here. With Pat Riley, Lebron would have without question won more rings.

Gilbert's not calling any shots here. He's just doing what Lebron wants (like with the hideous Love trade). The Cavs were so desperate and happy to get Lebron back that they're pretty much letting him run the franchise. Pat Riley has an authoritarian presence and every player knows that they can't strong arm him into doing anything because they're going to be put in their place rather quickly if they try to pull any stunts on PR.

The best thing that ever happened to Lebron was Pat Riley. The Godfather's strong personality kept Lebron in line. Pat Riley was never going to be strong-armed into doing anything, which was good for Lebron because it meant that he could focus 100% on being a player instead of trying to run the franchise.

Lebron should have stayed in Miami. I think it's more likely than not at this point that he never wins another ring. Kobe found out the hard way that he needed Phil Jackson, but I don't think Lebron is going to realise that he needs a strong authoritarian figure over him until it's too late. No player should run an entire organisation like this. Lebron never had any respect for Blatt and it's pretty obvious what happened here. With Pat Riley, Lebron would have without question won more rings.

Gilbert's not calling any shots here. He's just doing what Lebron wants (like with the hideous Love trade). The Cavs were so desperate and happy to get Lebron back that they're pretty much letting him run the franchise. Pat Riley has an authoritarian presence and every player knows that they can't strong arm him into doing anything because they're going to be put in their place rather quickly if they try to pull any stunts on PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Blatt was never really going to work. As Brian Windhorst put it - he signed to coach a young, development team with players desperate to impress him and due to circumstance ended up with a team of stars that were desperate for him to impress them.

The man went from someone who dropped 2 of Russia's best players due to them interrupting him during a timeout, to one who was letting himself get roared at in huddles and allowing players to overrule him in terms of playcalling and tactics. He was a shell of the coach and man he once was.

Yet crazily the Cavs are #1 in the East, have a 30-11 record and could make the Finals with me as head coach in all honesty. They won't even be tested on route.

This is a great read on the whole situation with lots of insight:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14629892/nba-final-unraveling-david-blatt

And from Woj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-david-blatt-never-stood-a-chance-with-lebron-james-and-his-camp-035612484.html

Got to keep in mind that Woj hates the fact he has never been able to get into LeBron's circle, but I'd imagine there's some truth in both articles.

Advertisement