Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

GSW at 66-7, 2 games ahead of the 72-10 Bulls at this point.

Remaining schedule:
    74: vs. Wizards (March 29)
    75: @ Jazz (March 30)
    76: vs. Celtics (April 1)
    77: vs. Blazers (April 3)
    78: vs. Timberwolves (April 5)
    79: vs. Spurs (April 7)
    80: @ Grizzlies (April 9)
    81: @ Spurs (April 10)
    82: vs. Grizzlies (April 13)

3 away games left too. The only tough games I see are at the Jazz on Day 2 of a back to back and the April 10 @ the Spurs as they're on Day 2 of a back to back as well as it being the Spurs in San An. The others they should win easily enough - even the Spurs at home. Even if they lose both of those (or any 2 in that stretch) they beat the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

GSW at 66-7, 2 games ahead of the 72-10 Bulls at this point.

As a Bulls fan but someone who really likes what the Warriors have done, I really don't know if I want them to beat it. I'm caught in two minds. :pac:

It's very, very difficult to think they won't beat it now however.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Paully D wrote: »
    As a Bulls fan but someone who really likes what the Warriors have done, I really don't know if I want them to beat it. I'm caught in two minds. :pac:

It's very, very difficult to think they won't beat it now however.

Imagine Under Armour releasing a Curry 2 '73-9' sneaker just to say f*** you to last year's Jordan 11's 72-10 sneaker release.

BTW really big thanks to everyone who replied with my Isiah Thomas question. I rarely get to what Boston playing and it always happens that Thomas always gets in the way of the Celtics winning (Kobe's last game in Boston & GSW away easily come to mind).

mjavi wrote: »
    Imagine Under Armour releasing a Curry 2 '73-9' sneaker just to say f*** you to last year's Jordan 11's 72-10 sneaker release.

Don't think UA really care about that kinda stuff tbh. They've done a hell of a job marketing Curry as an everyman, not sure going down that route would be true to where they are with the brand right now. As someone who works in marketing and collects sneakers for over 25 years this stuff is insanely interesting to me (and boring to almost everyone else). if you hadn't noticed, the Curry deal has pushed UA stock through the room and the sales of the sneakers have been beyond both parties wildest dreams (Curry is currently outselling LeBron, KD, Kobe and Kyrie signatures COMBINED, he's captured the youth market the same way new balance has captured the white, 40+ market :D:D). But most interestingly, sneaker buyers are loyal. Those younger consumers are going to grow up buying UA. Nike still owns basketball in the US and will likely continue to do so, just on a smaller scale.

Curry's popularity (aside from the insane talent) is that he's "relatable" in a way bigger, stronger guys can't be to the average person.

Speaking of the Sneaker Wars however, I was reading/listening to some stuff on Curry recently. Seemingly when Dell & Steph went to Oregon for negotiations they were shown a presentation which had Kevin Durant's name on it :eek: - as in Nike hadn't tailored a pres. for him (Curry), they did a cut and paste job on an existing presentation and forgot to remove Durant's name. Incredible if true.

Secondly on the proposed KD to GSW talk. It seems Nike wouldn't be too happy with it and that may scupper any move. Again, incredible if true and shows the power these companies have.

BTW really big thanks to everyone who replied with my Isiah Thomas question. I rarely get to what Boston playing and it always happens that Thomas always gets in the way of the Celtics winning (Kobe's last game in Boston & GSW away easily come to mind).

You should try to arch a few once they get jay back they are a lot of fun to watch when they go small ball

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of the NBA and it's fans talking about Jordan as if no one else could be him or come near him? You would swear that he was the only star of the show.

The league seems so poor or so badly promoted that computer games and tv shows always feel the need to always use Jordan.

We rarely see Pele or Maradonna (well, he ain't FIFA's lap dog) being paraded in the same way in soccer

GSW highlighted by Thomas ain't a starter or the go to man. GSW should be 8 losses now. Boston were brilliant the last time they danced, although GSW were without Thompson that night

Don't think UA really care about that kinda stuff tbh. They've done a hell of a job marketing Curry as an everyman, not sure going down that route would be true to where they are with the brand right now. As someone who works in marketing and collects sneakers for over 25 years this stuff is insanely interesting to me (and boring to almost everyone else). if you hadn't noticed, the Curry deal has pushed UA stock through the room and the sales of the sneakers have been beyond both parties wildest dreams (Curry is currently outselling LeBron, KD, Kobe and Kyrie signatures COMBINED, he's captured the youth market the same way new balance has captured the white, 40+ market :D:D). But most interestingly, sneaker buyers are loyal. Those younger consumers are going to grow up buying UA. Nike still owns basketball in the US and will likely continue to do so, just on a smaller scale.

Curry's popularity (aside from the insane talent) is that he's "relatable" in a way bigger, stronger guys can't be to the average person.

Speaking of the Sneaker Wars however, I was reading/listening to some stuff on Curry recently. Seemingly when Dell & Steph went to Oregon for negotiations they were shown a presentation which had Kevin Durant's name on it :eek: - as in Nike hadn't tailored a pres. for him (Curry), they did a cut and paste job on an existing presentation and forgot to remove Durant's name. Incredible if true.

Secondly on the proposed KD to GSW talk. It seems Nike wouldn't be too happy with it and that may scupper any move. Again, incredible if true and shows the power these companies have.

I still struggle with the fact that Curry is not even the third best paid player in GSW - bear in mind contract extensions etc (though he would not have been long out of his rookie contract and we all know that he was not an instant success - with injury - getting use to the league and GSW being meh before Mark Jackson)

Hope Curry does well for himself. Kinda getting fed up of waiting for Durant to actually take the league by the scruff of the neck (or even Westbrook)

Lt Dan wrote: »
    I still struggle with the fact that Curry is not even the third best paid player in GSW - bear in mind contract extensions etc (though he would not have been long out of his rookie contract and we all know that he was not an instant success - with injury - getting use to the league and GSW being meh before Mark Jackson)

Hope Curry does well for himself. Kinda getting fed up of waiting for Durant to actually take the league by the scruff of the neck (or even Westbrook)

I posted a really good article (from si.com I think) on that earlier in the year. Without Curry taking that contact at the time (and the additions to the GSW roster that facilitated), they're just another team and LeBron would likely have 3 rings. He'll get his payday this year but the humility in which he handled the whole situation speaks volumes about the guy and how grounded he is. Curry grew up the kid of a millionaire player. He wanted for nothing but has still shown incredible desire and commitment to make it to where he is today. It's not that long ago since he was being labelled as injury prone and trade bait or as the next Brandon Roy; his transformation in recent years has been nothing short of incredible. He talks freely about the injuries at the time and how in many ways he's incredibly lucky anyway so it's all relative.

As for KD and Westbrook, I'm now firmly of the belief one or both needs to leave that franchise. They're not going to turn the corner there, I just can't see it. It'll always be a "what if they kept Harden?" situation. They should have just paid the tax. Had they done so they'd have been real contenders. It was a shocking decision to me at the time, and one I still can't fathom. they've never been the same team since. Presti should have walked or been fired by now for it.

I think next week's Open Court podcast is centred around Durant and his team and contract options. Should be interesting.

I posted a really good article (from si.com I think) on that earlier in the year. Without Curry taking that contact at the time (and the additions to the GSW roster that facilitated), they're just another team and LeBron would likely have 3 rings. He'll get his payday this year but the humility in which he handled the whole situation speaks volumes about the guy and how grounded he is. Curry grew up the kid of a millionaire player. He wanted for nothing but has still shown incredible desire and commitment to make it to where he is today. It's not that long ago since he was being labelled as injury prone and trade bait or as the next Brandon Roy; his transformation in recent years has been nothing short of incredible. He talks freely about the injuries at the time and how in many ways he's incredibly lucky anyway so it's all relative.

As for KD and Westbrook, I'm now firmly of the belief one or both needs to leave that franchise. They're not going to turn the corner there, I just can't see it. It'll always be a "what if they kept Harden?" situation. They should have just paid the tax. Had they done so they'd have been real contenders. It was a shocking decision to me at the time, and one I still can't fathom. they've never been the same team since. Presti should have walked or been fired by now for it.

I think next week's Open Court podcast is centred around Durant and his team and contract options. Should be interesting.

When I referred to Durant and Westbrook, I meant I am feed up of Durant tolerating Westbrook's volume of shooting. Ya, OKC won't continue with both of them. Harden has not done that great this year (Kardashian plague? ) and his defence is still rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Am I the only one who is stick and tired of the NBA and it's fans talking about Jordan as if no one else could be him or come near him? You would swear that he was the only star of the show.

The league seems so poor or so badly promoted that computer games and tv shows always feel the need to always use Jordan.

We rarely see Pele or Maradonna (well, he ain't FIFA's lap dog) being paraded in the same way in soccer

GSW highlighted by Thomas ain't a starter or the go to man. GSW should be 8 losses now. Boston were brilliant the last time they danced, although GSW were without Thompson that night

Mostly due to nostalgia and the legend that fans built for his Airness.

What's adding fuel is that a few vocal legends whom Jordan denied a ring *cough* Barkley, Reggie *cough* (including a few HoF's like KAJ, Oscar Robertson) would always defend the Jordan lore since once it gets a bit tarnished they will lose a bit of their prestige as well.

Fans would quick to call that the league today is soft (handcheck!), Curry fans are d*** riders (where were they when GSW was sporting Baron Davis), etc. They tend to forget that the 95-96 season was an expansion year and there weren't really any 'super teams' back then like they have today. Not discounting Jordan's 72-10 it was an awesome sight to behold but they also have a few things going for them that year.

I'm one of the few who would pick GSW in a '95-96 Bulls vs. 15-16 GSW' just so I can have a good discussion since 99% of the time people will pick the Bulls.

• Advertisement

When I referred to Durant and Westbrook, I meant I am feed up of Durant tolerating Westbrook's volume of shooting. Ya, OKC won't continue with both of them. Harden has not done that great this year (Kardashian plague? ) and his defence is still rubbish

As for Westbrook, he's been doing that for years. Great player but in the wrong system/team.

As for Durant, not much he can do to alter that. RW is the PG, everything starts with him.

As I'm fond of saying, there's no "D" in James Haren. :rolleyes:

Forget this year. What they had together was chemistry and a system that would only have gotten better the longer they stayed together. breaking that up has cost them dearly.

Fans would quick to call that the league today is soft (handcheck!), Curry fans are d*** riders (where were they when GSW was sporting Baron Davis), etc. .

you can be a Curry fan without being a GSW fan (I'm a Celtics fan, but Curry is a joy to watch). I've been on Curry for years (check my posts - and LONG before it was popular to do so).

You're new here mjavi, right? You missed the whole John wall debate on here a few years ago. Worth reading! :D:D:D

Mostly due to nostalgia and the legend that fans built for his Airness.

What's adding fuel is that a few vocal legends whom Jordan denied a ring *cough* Barkley, Reggie *cough* (including a few HoF's like KAJ, Oscar Robertson) would always defend the Jordan lore since once it gets a bit tarnished they will lose a bit of their prestige as well.

Fans would quick to call that the league today is soft (handcheck!), Curry fans are d*** riders (where were they when GSW was sporting Baron Davis), etc. They tend to forget that the 95-96 season was an expansion year and there weren't really any 'super teams' back then like they have today. Not discounting Jordan's 72-10 it was an awesome sight to behold but they also have a few things going for them that year.

I'm one of the few who would pick GSW in a '95-96 Bulls vs. 15-16 GSW' just so I can have a good discussion since 99% of the time people will pick the Bulls.

It does not say a lot about the current stars then - which is nonsense.

It allows people believe Jordan's view that very few of today's guys, like a physical specimen like Le Bron James could not hack the game of his day. Then you got Charles saying similar about players - hmmm this is a guy who couldn't be bothered to stay fit and in good shape or improve his skills more or be a team player. Would rather sulk than take criticism . You can not critical of Jordan. Kids who weren't even born when Jordan retired would go bat poo crazy. This is a guy who has not been a proven talent spotter when he played a key role in the management side at Charlotte

What would Shaq do if he was not allowed to stay in the paint for more than 5 seconds , offensively and defensively.?

Kobe waffled about the game being soft. Yet, he got his ass handed to him on a plate when he started - to be fair he was young. He of all guys enjoyed their best moments with the "new rules"

Hell, at least, to be fair, when Detroit fell in "love" with Jordan, Jordan changed his game big time, physically.

I can not stand most NBA "fans" in America especially those on the net. Brad Stevens was called out to be sacked in his first season by idiots, and for Ainge to go because the Big 3 was no one - despite a lousy season and early knock out by the Knicks in 2013

LeBron can be an idiot sometimes , but he has kept his cool when people like Barkley (idiot of the highest order) and Jordan and even older guys talk down the players today

As sure Celtics fans waffling about all the league titles is laughable when they only had 7 teams to beat (well, Lakers and Wilt's Philly) for most of their reign

Would love to see Green go up against Rodman . Sure Pippen would probably have to do the donkey work defending both Curry and Thompson

As for Westbrook, he's been doing that for years. Great player but in the wrong system/team.

As for Durant, not much he can do to alter that. RW is the PG, everything starts with him.

As I'm fond of saying, there's no "D" in James Haren. :rolleyes:

Forget this year. What they had together was chemistry and a system that would only have gotten better the longer they stayed together. breaking that up has cost them dearly.

Kenderick Perkins must be soooo popular in OKC. Still his injury cost Boston another title in 2010

It does not say a lot about the current stars then - which is nonsense.

It allows people believe Jordan's view that very few of today's guys, like a physical specimen like Le Bron James could not hack the game of his day. Then you got Charles saying similar about players - hmmm this is a guy who couldn't be bothered to stay fit and in good shape or improve his skills more or be a team player. Would rather sulk than take criticism . You can not critical of Jordan. Kids who weren't even born when Jordan retired would go bat poo crazy. This is a guy who has not been a proven talent spotter when he played a key role in the management side at Charlotte

What would Shaq do if he was not allowed to stay in the paint for more than 5 seconds , offensively and defensively.?

Kobe waffled about the game being soft. Yet, he got his ass handed to him on a plate when he started - to be fair he was young. He of all guys enjoyed their best moments with the "new rules"

Hell, at least, to be fair, when Detroit fell in "love" with Jordan, Jordan changed his game big time, physically.

I can not stand most NBA "fans" in America especially those on the net. Brad Stevens was called out to be sacked in his first season by idiots, and for Ainge to go because the Big 3 was no one - despite a lousy season and early knock out by the Knicks in 2013

LeBron can be an idiot sometimes , but he has kept his cool when people like Barkley (idiot of the highest order) and Jordan and even older guys talk down the players today

As sure Celtics fans waffling about all the league titles is laughable when they only had 7 teams to beat (well, Lakers and Wilt's Philly) for most of their reign

Would love to see Green go up against Rodman . Sure Pippen would probably have to do the donkey work defending both Curry and Thompson

Let it out Dan, let it out.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There has been some amount of rubbish posted on here over the last few years but if it's getting to a stage where people are going to try and discredit Michael Jordan then I think we're at the point where the basketball forum has well and truly jumped the shark.

There has been some amount of rubbish posted on here over the last few years but if it's getting to a stage where people are going to try and discredit Michael Jordan then I think we're at the point where the basketball forum has well and truly jumped the shark.

+1

The John Wall debate was my favourite though! ;)

Shaq would still be a monster now he was huge and fast with a very good post game.

Don't know who was saying ainge and Stephens should be fired this has been said a few times and it's nonsense

The celtics still won those championships and would still have more championships than anyone bar the lakers if you took them out

And yes Jordan is the greatest player ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Here, here. Only catching up on the thread, but I cannot believe this pish I'm reading RE Jordan. Genuinely laughable.

The "discredit" comes from the people who have and continue to excessively celebrate the man and take anything that he says as gospel. He has proven to be a lousy enough spotter of talent, yet he still feels like being the big man thinking that he knows today's game or that he is some General Manager Guru. I have no doubt , like many world class sportsmen in their day, he would not have been that good as a coach. His comments about current players , at times, has been disrespectful and down right idiotic, completely forgetting that these "soft" players are bigger and faster than the average player from the 1980-1990's. Hell, even some of the average players of today might have loved hand checking and throwing elbows like Doc Rivers did. The "discredit" comes from those who will point blank refuse to contemplate that maybe, some day, there will be a player better than him. The "discredit" comes from those same people who act like his team mates from 1990-1996 were duds.

Again, such "discredit" is not directed to Jordan, the player , but those who unconditionally lionize the man and slate others

It is not his fault that the NBA struggle to promote their current players. It is evident that they are unable to make them relevant to people as Jordan was able to do. We don't see FIFA or relevant related groups struggling to identify a number of players as their top guy, they don't always have to wheel Pele out, or Cryuff (if they could) or Maradonna (which they would rather kill themselves than do that)

Again, that is not MJ's fault

Maybe if you actually read what was said, that might help

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Here, here. Only catching up on the thread, but I cannot believe this pish I'm reading RE Jordan. Genuinely laughable.

What is your interpretation on what was said about Jordan.

List three points

What is your interpretation on what was said about Jordan.

List three points

That sounds like a question that would appear in paper 2 of English in the leaving cert haha.

Shaq would still be a monster now he was huge and fast with a very good post game.

Don't know who was saying ainge and Stephens should be fired this has been said a few times and it's nonsense

The celtics still won those championships and would still have more championships than anyone bar the lakers if you took them out

And yes Jordan is the greatest player ever

There would not be much of a post game today. Tim Duncan, despite his age, is still be best post game player today and the point guard and perimeter shooters rule the game today. Hell even Power Forwards are trying to be adapted to improve their jump shots. (I know, Shaq was a centre) Zonal defence would make it trickier to get past 2-3 players. His post game wasn't that great. Dunk and hook shot. He would not be able to park in the paint for long either. He was no Hakeem or dare I say, Kevin McHale when it came to post moves, but his size and speed (which McHale kinda lacked - speed) would compensate greatly. He would still be savage in defence

He was fast, I will give you that, but he would not be allowed to have that bulk that he carried in the latter years, today. Jared Sullinger won't get away with that for long.

Were did I say people on THIS site said/argued, at any time, that Ainge and Stephens should be gone? I didn't.

The comments sections of major Basketball websites in 2014 were riddled with people moaning , ,(games where Celtics threw away games in the 4th quarter) about Celtics bringing in an inexperienced coach (professional level) and delluding themselves into thinking that the Big 3 could still do a job. I should know I was making the argument for Stevens by February 2014. The conservation ended when you hear muppets repeating the words of Coach Forde about how Larry Bird and Kevin McHale weren't coming through the door when complaining about Ainge loosing Pierce and Garnett

Who said Jordan was not the greatest player ever? I didn't . You actually bother to read what was said?

What I said was, the NBA feel the need to keep excessively banging on about it as if the have no stars of today to promote. I made the comparison that FIFA don't always feel the need to drag out guys like Pele (the corporations like Master Card do that) or Maradonna and many other. Nike still wheel out Jordan. Yet Puma (Maradonna and Pele) , Nike and Adidas don't feel the need to wheel out their stars of the past for commercials . Maybe the odd shoe etc, but nothing like basketball - Hey that ain't Jordan's fault , more power to him

That sounds like a question that would appear in paper 2 of English in the leaving cert haha.

In otherwords, you haven't a clue as to what was said in the first place, as expected , (and helping to prove the point of what was said)

+1

The John Wall debate was my favourite though! ;)

Yeah, things are not going that well for him lately.

There would not be much of a post game today. Tim Duncan, despite his age, is still be best post game player today and the point guard and perimeter shooters rule the game today. Hell even Power Forwards are trying to be adapted to improve their jump shots. (I know, Shaq was a centre) Zonal defence would make it trickier to get past 2-3 players. His post game wasn't that great. Dunk and hook shot. He would not be able to park in the paint for long either. He was no Hakeem or dare I say, Kevin McHale when it came to post moves, but his size and speed (which McHale kinda lacked - speed) would compensate greatly. He would still be savage in defence

He was fast, I will give you that, but he would not be allowed to have that bulk that he carried in the latter years, today. Jared Sullinger won't get away with that for long.

Were did I say people on THIS site said/argued, at any time, that Ainge and Stephens should be gone? I didn't.

The comments sections of major Basketball websites in 2014 were riddled with people moaning , ,(games where Celtics threw away games in the 4th quarter) about Celtics bringing in an inexperienced coach (professional level) and delluding themselves into thinking that the Big 3 could still do a job. I should know I was making the argument for Stevens by February 2014. The conservation ended when you hear muppets repeating the words of Coach Forde about how Larry Bird and Kevin McHale weren't coming through the door when complaining about Ainge loosing Pierce and Garnett

Who said Jordan was not the greatest player ever? I didn't . You actually bother to read what was said?

What I said was, the NBA feel the need to keep excessively banging on about it as if the have no stars of today to promote. I made the comparison that FIFA don't always feel the need to drag out guys like Pele (the corporations like Master Card do that) or Maradonna and many other. Nike still wheel out Jordan. Yet Puma (Maradonna and Pele) , Nike and Adidas don't feel the need to wheel out their stars of the past for commercials . Maybe the odd shoe etc, but nothing like basketball - Hey that ain't Jordan's fault , more power to him

Dan you need to chill. You have an obvious passion for the game, but please realise that the vast majority of us who post on this thread have followed the game for years and have a very good understanding of it. We welcome new members with open arms who have something to contribute, but your posts come across as almost condescending.

Butters played the game at international level for the country and played national league for a long time(despite my intermittent requests on the forum he has never wished to elaborate or brag). I'm not going to go through everyone else but Paully, Nerd, Itssoeasy,NUFC and many more all make very insightful contributions on a regular basis. I wrote articles about the NBA for about 18 months for Pundit Arena, until they ceased covering the game.
    I am currently overloaded with work in college prepping for T.P, so I havn't been able to post on here as often as I would usually do. However I have been checking in now and then, and watching from a distance.

As for your post above, I'd disagree with a lot of it. You say Timmy is the only player in the NBA today who is elite in the post. To that I would say Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez and Enes Kanter, three exceptionally skilled players down low. You could add Boogie to that list also, while Greg Monroe does most of his damage on offense in the low post also.

As for the stuff on Shaq, are you actually comparing him to Sullinger or did I read that wrong?

Dan you need to chill. You have an obvious passion for the game, but please realise that the vast majority of us who post on this thread have followed the game for years and have a very good understanding of it. We welcome new members with open arms who have something to contribute, but your posts come across as almost condescending.

Butters played the game at international level for the country and played national league for a long time(despite my intermittent requests on the forum he has never wished to elaborate or brag). I'm not going to go through everyone else but Paully, Nerd, Itssoeasy,NUFC and many more all make very insightful contributions on a regular basis. I wrote articles about the NBA for about 18 months for Pundit Arena, until they ceased covering the game.
    I am currently overloaded with work in college prepping for T.P, so I havn't been able to post on here as often as I would usually do. However I have been checking in now and then, and watching from a distance.

As for your post above, I'd disagree with a lot of it. You say Timmy is the only player in the NBA today who is elite in the post. To that I would say Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez and Enes Kanter, three exceptionally skilled players down low. You could add Boogie to that list also, while Greg Monroe does most of his damage on offense in the low post also.

As for the stuff on Shaq, are you actually comparing him to Sullinger or did I read that wrong?

"Passion for the game" - Who is being condescending , lol?

Wow, finding out yer life stories. What a shame neither of ye are that great at reading

At no point, did I say anything critical about Michael Jordan, the player. At no point did I even suggest that he wasn't the greatest eva

You and the others jumped on what was said and interpreted it ass ways.

The comments were about the NBA organisation (which by the way, Jordan at times, felt used by) and his fans, many of whom weren't around when he played. (I was not making a single reference to anyone on this site, but the jumping to conclusions by you and your pals did prove one point of what was said - Well done)

So , no amount of following the league or personal playa history deals with what I said ie the fans and the NBA and the excessive and unconditional genuflecting to Jordan - which he can't control, nor should he.

There was little or no "discrediting" Michael Jordan the player. Just time moves on, his legacy is unquestioned, let the new players shine now (for clarification, no one here suggested anything on the contrary)

If it comes across as condescending ,it is for one extremely simple reason. You commented about what was said but hadn't a clue as to what was actually said by me. (I am aware that there were discussions before, I read them, but the latest defence came after my recent statement about the way other people react to Jordan)

The arrogance (not by you tbf) that was spouted about a ridiculous misinformed notion that I was "discrediting" Michael Jordan is funny (and refusal to make an actual argument) when clearly, I was referring to the people that refuse to allow anyone say a bad word about the man and are prepared to discredit other players to ensure his legacy (no one here was doing the latter btw) .

The only critical thing said about the man, and it is completely legitimate, is his continued ego trip and excessive criticism about the players of today who play in a much different game (some of which was his doing - again not his fault and he still got over the rough treatment he received) It was pointed out that in light of his more recent history with Charlotte , he wasn't really in a position to talk like he was a coach or general manager.

You could no jack crap about the game to at least acknowledge that Jordan's attitude towards some of players of today (the proper players) is pathetic and petty and horrendously stupid to assume some of the players, even today's lesser lights would not have adapted to the game of the 1980-1990's and maybe enjoy it.

You too came along and said what was said about Jordan was laughable. Which is fair enough so long as you actually read and understood what was actually said. You were given a chance to point out what was said. Predictably you did not.

Anyway, a game is on, so no point arguing,you proved a point , you were prepared to respond to something that you had not got a clue as to what what said, we shall move on.

Comparison to Jared Sullinger and Shaq only went as far as their bulk and the need to shed it. It was fair to assume that is all that that should be interpreted when referring the two in the same sentence. (not to mention being fundamentally different players and Shaq exploding onto the scene from Season 1 unlike Jared even when he was healty)

"but he would not be allowed to have that bulk that he carried in the latter years, today. Jared Sullinger won't get away with that for long"

Brook Lopez can barely get on the floor with the injuries he has had. Kanter, lol. Face Up game (he is decent though - shame about defence). Jefferson, yeah, but I put Timmy way ahead. You could have included yer man from Memphis, Zach Randolph . Fair due, you didn't include Howard or Griffin (that was a joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Seriously, screw this team. ANOTHER game thrown away down the stretch by the Pacers. I put that at 12 or 13 games just like this one. More annoying is that the Bulls are another poor team we've lost to (sorry guys).

Edit: Just caught up, maybe I should check back in another time lol.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Seriously, screw this team. ANOTHER game thrown away down the stretch by the Pacers. I put that at 12 or 13 games just like this one. More annoying is that the Bulls are another poor team we've lost to (sorry guys).

Edit: Just caught up, maybe I should check back in another time lol.

meh, at least things are getting better than last year with the dismantling of the team that was brilliant from 2013-2014 and George being out.

They have a bit to work on. Just having Paul George back and in form is a blessing (I know, it's looser talk)

That was Celtics in 2014 and early parts of last year despite having a worse roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

A few general points on the last page or so:

I don't know where this is coming from that everything MJ does is Godly. He has been heavily criticised as a GM and team owner (or whatever he is atm) down the years. Although The Horcats are getting it together lately.

Shaq would beast now just as much if not even more today. Unguardable in his prime. Doesn't matter if the league now is smaller and faster.

Also, comparisons with MJ and former soccer players aren't really like for like. For a start the soccer players aren't being marketed in America because it isn't a major sport there (yet). You also have to consider that soccer is a team game where teams are more glorified than players are. With basketball having such small numbers on each team at any one time it is much easier to individualise a talented player and focus in on their marketability. MJ is the greatest of all time and therefore became very easy to market in such a way.

He also had extremely lucky timing in that his dominance coincided with increasing media accessibility to the game (cable tv, internet, ads etc.) and sports becoming a huge marketing Juggernaut. But his play and persona definitely contributed to that.

Advertisement