Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

His resignation letter was 13 pages long. Its a bit bizarre to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm surprised at this because if you look at it he was doing exactly what he was asked to do, and he was doing it well - not that I agree with what they're doing btw.

Part of me wonders how much of this came from pressure from the NBA itself and the other GMs who were reported to be pretty p&ssed of at them (the sixers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It's one of the most self-fellating resignations ever conceived by human hands. This guy is a first class tool and he made sure to let everyone know how smart he is...

The part at the end where he referred to sixers fans as "wallets" summed up his entire approach. As was his waxing poetically about Robert Covington, like Robert Covington was some transformational force to hang his career on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I'm surprised at this because if you look at it he was doing exactly what he was asked to do, and he was doing it well - not that I agree with what they're doing btw.

Part of me wonders how much of this came from pressure from the NBA itself and the other GMs who were reported to be pretty p&ssed of at them (the sixers).

Adam Silver forced the Sixers to hire Jerry Colangelo, as he was growing concerned by the team's complete apathy to the idea of putting a competitive team on the floor. Colangelo's title is head of basketball operations. A strange situation has existed for the last few months where there was kind of a power vacuum, as Hinkie was obviously still the G.M. But really bringing in Colangelo was a great move, he immediately brings and air of respectability to the franchise. The owners were said to have been growing impatient with "the process" anyway, so this is not a hugely surprising turn of events. Marc Stein reported that Colangelo has been trying to hire someone to work in tandem with Hinkie, the person being mooted is Bryan Colangelo. If Bryan was to get the job that would have completey marginalised Hinkie. Hinkie saw the end was in sight, so he cut and ran.
    Classic Hinkie that he would resign in such dramatic circumstances, that guy is so up his own hole it's unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

All joking aside, I honestly think I would be a better GM than Hinkie. He didnt seemed to actually do his job like a person playing NBA 2K16. Trade away everything for draft picks over and over. Like MCW isnt a star but hes solid they got rid of him for basically nothing, and I know you have to pick the best player but Embiid, Noel and Okafor.
    These were picks that they should have traded, They could have got Porziņģis, Mudiay maybe not better players, but players they needed more. Alternatively they could have traded away Noel.
    When they selected Embiid, they could have got La Vine, Exum or Randle all would have been better picks. Embiid just has/had to much red flags

Like a starting five of MCW, Mudiay,(SF), Randle and Noel is a far more competitive team than what they have right now and they could easily imo have that team coming into this draft with a chance for Simmons.

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    All joking aside, I honestly think I would be a better GM than Hinkie. He didnt seemed to actually do his job like a person playing NBA 2K16. Trade away everything for draft picks over and over. Like MCW isnt a star but hes solid they got rid of him for basically nothing, and I know you have to pick the best player but Embiid, Noel and Okafor.
    These were picks that they should have traded, They could have got Porziņģis, Mudiay maybe not better players, but players they needed more. Alternatively they could have traded away Noel.
    When they selected Embiid, they could have got La Vine, Exum or Randle all would have been better picks. Embiid just has/had to much red flags

Like a starting five of MCW, Mudiay,(SF), Randle and Noel is a far more competitive team than what they have right now and they could easily imo have that team coming into this draft with a chance for Simmons.

Sorry I can't buy the "if" stuff re the draft. Saying they should have taken X or Y is all well and good but any team can say that about picks that don't perform to expectation. You give the Porzingis example. That's unfair. At the time the scouting reports were wildly varying from "solid" to "too risky". If they had picked him and he was a bust you'd be saying they passed over X for this goofy white European guy. No-one realistically expected him to be this good this quickly.

On one level they picked well on paper given the information available at the time. You can't really say if they picked X, Y and Z over A, B, C they'd be better. You can say that about ANY team that drafts someone they doesn't perform to expectation. If Cleveland hadn't picked Anthony Bennett.....

Where I'd disagree with their pick choices is they were picking the wrong position (too many bigs etc) but you can even justify that by saying they were doing it for trade bait. What plssed people off about them is the losing (deliberately).

buyer95 wrote: »
    Adam Silver forced the Sixers to hire Jerry Colangelo, as he was growing concerned by the team's complete apathy to the idea of putting a competitive team on the floor. Colangelo's title is head of basketball operations. A strange situation has existed for the last few months where there was kind of a power vacuum, as Hinkie was obviously still the G.M. But really bringing in Colangelo was a great move, he immediately brings and air of respectability to the franchise. The owners were said to have been growing impatient with "the process" anyway, so this is not a hugely surprising turn of events. Marc Stein reported that Colangelo has been trying to hire someone to work in tandem with Hinkie, the person being mooted is Bryan Colangelo. If Bryan was to get the job that would have completey marginalised Hinkie. Hinkie saw the end was in sight, so he cut and ran.
    Classic Hinkie that he would resign in such dramatic circumstances, that guy is so up his own hole it's unbelievable.

Yup aware of all of that but was typing on phone and couldn't be bothered continuing at the time!

The timing is strange though.....handful of games left in the season. He could have waited until the season was over.

I don't want to get too conspiratorial on it....but I'd expect he walked away with a big cheque for his troubles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Kinda cool seeing a team have 70 wins in the standings, Warriors overcame the Spurs last night. The quest for 73 is still possible but I can't see them winning out at this stage.

Sorry I can't buy the "if" stuff re the draft. Saying they should have taken X or Y is all well and good but any team can say that about picks that don't perform to expectation. You give the Porzingis example. That's unfair. At the time the scouting reports were wildly varying from "solid" to "too risky". If they had picked him and he was a bust you'd be saying they passed over X for this goofy white European guy. No-one realistically expected him to be this good this quickly.

On one level they picked well on paper given the information available at the time. You can't really say if they picked X, Y and Z over A, B, C they'd be better. You can say that about ANY team that drafts someone they doesn't perform to expectation. If Cleveland hadn't picked Anthony Bennett.....

Where I'd disagree with their pick choices is they were picking the wrong position (too many bigs etc) but you can even justify that by saying they were doing it for trade bait. What plssed people off about them is the losing (deliberately).
    Sorry my point was they continuos picking to bigs, but I just mentioned Porzingos as he was a stretch player who was rated very high. But I didnt pick him as the player they should have gone for. Anyways I also said if they wanted to take Okafor they could have traded away Noel easily for a decent enough PG. Their selection of Embiid is the one they definitly shouldn't have made

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Sorry my point was they continuos picking to bigs, but I just mentioned Porzingos as he was a stretch player who was rated very high. But I didnt pick him as the player they should have gone for. Anyways I also said if they wanted to take Okafor they could have traded away Noel easily for a decent enough PG. Their selection of Embiid is the one they definitly shouldn't have made

Why shouldn't they have taken embid?

• Advertisement

Why shouldn't they have taken embid?

Embiid had health problems besides the one that caused him to miss his first two seasons. They were overlooked purely because the team were going to lose, another reason he shouldnt have been picked was Noel was picked the year before and missed his first season due to injury, why take a massive risk and take a second big man who was going to miss time due to a serious injury

Embiid had health problems besides the one that caused him to miss his first two seasons. They were overlooked purely because the team were going to lose, another reason he shouldnt have been picked was Noel was picked the year before and missed his first season due to injury, why take a massive risk and take a second big man who was going to miss time due to a serious injury

He had a back injury but I don't remember anyone thinking they where as serious as they where and the upside was hakeem

He had a back injury but I don't remember anyone thinking they where as serious as they where and the upside was hakeem

Yeah I think it's unfair to criticise them taking Embiid. The guy was unbelievable in college, his game looked very refined. People were drawing parallels between him and Hakeem, and although that seems crazy he did look like a surefire success. They drafted him knowing he would miss the next season, which was fine by them as they had no plans of trying to win any time soon. But a setback during his rehab meant he had to go under the knife again, ruling him out for this season. The injury is foot related, nothing to do with his back btw.

Hinkie did a terrible job. There is no one on his roster worth building around despite all these years of "collecting assets." All he did was burn down the house. He laid no foundation at all to build on.

"See his vision through?" To what end? There was no deadline here. You could easily say the same thing 1, 5 or 10 years from now. At what point was he supposed to become accountable for winning basketball games?

The sixers sure as sh*t aren't winning anything next year, even if they land Ben Simmons. Their roster is too terrible. So should he have been allowed to be terrible next season as well? This roster is several years away from being .500 at best.

We have no idea who Hinkie would have drafted or what he even would have done. His ultimate goal was to draft a LeBron James level talent (which by his own admission is a once in a generation player) so even having 4 first rounders this year there is nothing to say he wouldn't pick players to stick overseas or ones that have injury's to deal with or trade for future picks or take players that you may or may not make a single bit of difference.

As far as I'm concerned his tenure ended when he lost player control (remember Elton Brand and Ish Smith were both brought back in against his will) so going forward he should get no credit other than saying that accumulated some assets for the next person to work with. However he has knee capped them by ensuring not a single free agent is going to want to sign with that club for a couple of years.

pretty great job for the next gm though (or is it just colangelo?) win 15-20 games and you've improved. you have good young pieces and plenty of cap room to play with. Also a fan base that is bound to love anyone who wins a few games for them. all in all if a gm believes in themselves this job could turn out very very well for them.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's unfair to criticise them taking Embiid. The guy was unbelievable in college, his game looked very refined. People were drawing parallels between him and Hakeem, and although that seems crazy he did look like a surefire success. They drafted him knowing he would miss the next season, which was fine by them as they had no plans of trying to win any time soon. But a setback during his rehab meant he had to go under the knife again, ruling him out for this season. The injury is foot related, nothing to do with his back btw.

Looking like it will be a Colangelo double act, with Jerry as chairman of basketball operations and Bryan is expected to be named Sixers GM. Would be a very solid brain trust imo

pretty great job for the next gm though (or is it just colangelo?) win 15-20 games and you've improved. you have good young pieces and plenty of cap room to play with. Also a fan base that is bound to love anyone who wins a few games for them. all in all if a gm believes in themselves this job could turn out very very well for them.

100% agree he doesnt really have to do a lot to be a massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice to beat LeBron last night considering there's not much else to play for. Cristiano Felicio's performances mean that at least there's a small positive to take from this mess of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

May I ask you paully what do you want/think will happen for the Bulls this offseason?

Change of coach? Rose and/or Butler to be traded? Whats the biggest need for the draft?

Im asking because it just seems crazy that with a roster as talented as there is in chicago they cant make the playoffs. As you said its an absolute mess of a season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It looks like a change of coach is on the cards in Chicago.
    I reckon there is a big change of Rose getting traded and Gasol will more than likely go too.
    Big rebuilding period again for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Bulls probably most disappointing team over the past few years what with Rose and his injuries but this year it was just awful all the injuries and issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To be honest, I haven't seen much of the Bulls this season due to other commitments, but I don't think Hoiberg will get fired. He's the controllable yes man that the joke of a front office (one of the worst in the NBA by the way) has craved. The complete opposite to Thibs. Then there's the fact that firing him would mean them admitting that they got things wrong after Thibs, which they won't do. And also the money - Hoiberg signed a 5 year $25m deal. The notoriously stingy front office aren't going to pay him $20m to leave.

The whole thing should be burnt to the ground and built back up around Jimmy Butler. If he gets traded, those running the organisation will have finally jumped the shark.

Coach of the year should probably go to Thibs, now that we can see what he did for the Bulls. He is an elite level coach that should have his choice of destinations this offseason.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Coach of the year should probably go to Thibs, now that we can see what he did for the Bulls. He is an elite level coach that should have his choice of destinations this offseason.

Id love to see him come to the Lakers solidify us, but think hes going to end up at a title chasing team. Rockets or Kings maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

My God they've done it. 72 wins. Never thought I'd see it. Crazy game in San Antonio and glad the playoff season is starting because frankly it couldn't come sooner enough with the amount of Kobe non stories and trying to beat any stories out of Kerr/Curry/Klay/Draymond. Delighted Toronto have progressed again. Let's see what happens come playoffs. I don't know how Casey is getting production out of that bench to be honest he doesn't get enough credit. Pat Paterson, James Johnson etc are actually contributing. Demarr carroll is coming back at a perfect time.

Some thoughts from the spurs warriors game, it was ridiculously good. 2nd half was like all players were turned up to 99 on 2k. Curry made a shot from his own 3 point line and it didn't count cos of clock at the half. Bring on the playoffs. Loads of controversial calls. Draymond got knocked over by Bogot and got the free throws. Mind boggling reffing all game, they were biased to Warriors for sure. Then in the middle they threw Draymond a tech. Had to be to make up for ****ty calls. Brandon rush knocked over mills with a mental moving screen, no call. Unreal game overalIt had everything. One hilarious moment was klay throwing up a stupid shot and shouting "straight up and in" and the ball missing the rim altogether. End result curry is not human and is mvp again

Bring on the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just bought tickets for Memphis game, don't even ask how much....It's depleted my playoff fund but can't miss out on history, well hopefully. Has been an epic season to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

My God they've done it. 72 wins. Never thought I'd see it. Crazy game in San Antonio and glad the playoff season is starting because frankly it couldn't come sooner enough with the amount of Kobe non stories and trying to beat any stories out of Kerr/Curry/Klay/Draymond. Delighted Toronto have progressed again. Let's see what happens come playoffs. I don't know how Casey is getting production out of that bench to be honest he doesn't get enough credit. Pat Paterson, James Johnson etc are actually contributing. Demarr carroll is coming back at a perfect time.

Some thoughts from the spurs warriors game, it was ridiculously good. 2nd half was like all players were turned up to 99 on 2k. Curry made a shot from his own 3 point line and it didn't count cos of clock at the half. Bring on the playoffs. Loads of controversial calls. Draymond got knocked over by Bogot and got the free throws. Mind boggling reffing all game, they were biased to Warriors for sure. Then in the middle they threw Draymond a tech. Had to be to make up for ****ty calls. Brandon rush knocked over mills with a mental moving screen, no call. Unreal game overalIt had everything. One hilarious moment was klay throwing up a stupid shot and shouting "straight up and in" and the ball missing the rim altogether. End result curry is not human and is mvp again

Bring on the playoffs

There was nothing controversial at all about that call. It is one of the clearest simplest rules, if Green had scored then Bogut would have got 1 free shot, but because he missed the free throws go to the shooter. The refs made some weird calls, but they were very even, and not biased towards either side.

Edit: Also, amazing achievement by the Warriors, looking forward to the playoffs, should be an absolute epic series.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Just bought tickets for Memphis game, don't even ask how much....It's depleted my playoff fund but can't miss out on history, well hopefully. Has been an epic season to say the least.

Win or lose it should be worth it.

You can probably sneak in to Kobe's last game (if you're a fan) but i read that the prices are sky high. That might be fun as well, although the 73-9 is much more guaranteed to be epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

mjavi wrote: »
    Win or lose it should be worth it.

You can probably sneak in to Kobe's last game (if you're a fan) but i read that the prices are sky high. That might be fun as well, although the 73-9 is much more guaranteed to be epic.

Jeez, to win the league with 73-9 and then not win it outright would be almost a waste of a season. Almost. Imagine, Steve Kerr was involved in both teams. Some history

• Advertisement

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Jeez, to win the league with 73-9 and then not win it outright would be almost a waste of a season. Almost. Imagine, Steve Kerr was involved in both teams. Some history

It definetly would not be a waste they just tied a record nobody ever thought would b e tied that on its own is an incredibly achievement

Advertisement