Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I'd be very excited if I was that TWolves fan right now. Wigginton looked great last night and Towns already looks like a solid big man. They will be decent in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    Wiggins was phenomenal. The T-Wolves have a bright future with he and Towns.
    Yeah that spin-move into a dunk was nice...

As good as Wiggins played, I was even more impressed with Towns. Very surprised at how sophisticated his offensive game looks already, when he's so new to the NBA. Has a lot of good paint and post moves, and good hands. Athletic too, beast on the boards, but nice to see some skills as well as just the athleticism. I'll look forward to watching him again.

Smart move by the Timberwolves getting Kevin Garnett in too. I think this is a big problem with the current lottery system....most of the top young talent goes to these hopeless teams, and they learn bad habits and don't develop properly. Getting Garnett in there will teach these guys the right things (I wouldn't want to be slacking off with him around). Apparently Flip Saunders was instrumental in convincing Garnett to come back to Minnesota, so he has left a good legacy behind him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Knicks - Lakers on now in the battle of who could give less of a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Warriors out to a 7-0 start and don't even properly have their head coach, crazy. I wonder if they might challenge the 48/49 Capitols and 93/93 Rockets for that 15-0 start? Their next 8 games are:

vs Pistons
    @ Grizzlies
    @ T-Wolves
    vs Nets
    vs Raptors
    @ Clippers
    vs Bulls
    @ Nuggets

Pistons and Raptors have had a very good start, though 3 each of their wins have come against East teams so will hardly strike fear into the Warriors. Grizzlies, T-Wolves and Nets should be money in the bank, though they are back-to-back road games in consecutive nights against Memphis and Minnesota so it's possible that they could fall there.

For 16-0 and the new record it would be vs Lakers, so essentially if they equal the 15-0 record they probably beat it 2 days later.

Personally I think they'll get to @ Clippers/vs Bulls and lose one of those, so 13-0 or 14-0 before being defeated and just miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Warriors out to a 7-0 start and don't even properly have their head coach, crazy. I wonder if they might challenge the 48/49 Capitols and 93/93 Rockets for that 15-0 start? Their next 8 games are:

vs Pistons
    @ Grizzlies
    @ T-Wolves
    vs Nets
    vs Raptors
    @ Clippers
    vs Bulls
    @ Nuggets

Pistons and Raptors have had a very good start, though 3 each of their wins have come against East teams so will hardly strike fear into the Warriors. Grizzlies, T-Wolves and Nets should be money in the bank, though they are back-to-back road games in consecutive nights against Memphis and Minnesota so it's possible that they could fall there.

For 16-0 and the new record it would be vs Lakers, so essentially if they equal the 15-0 record they probably beat it 2 days later.

Personally I think they'll get to @ Clippers/vs Bulls and lose one of those, so 13-0 or 14-0 before being defeated and just miss out.

Clippers away looks the danger game to me - the Clippers cannot afford to lose that one psychologically as much as anything else as that would hand a real advantage to GSW come play offs so will be laying down a marker I feel. These two teams also HATE each other, it will be physical, and I expect the Clippers to rough-house it a bit and target Bogut in particular (if he's back by then). Wouldn't be surprised to see an ejection (or two) in this game.

Can't see the Bulls (on current form anyway) beating GSW at home; maybe in the United Centre but not at home. I've said this a few times, but that team posted 67 wins IN THE WEST last year. That's insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I love watching Porzingis. For someone his height he's got great balance, athletic abilities and a couple of pretty sweet moves already. I hope the Knicks don't force him to put on weight quickly. The current combination seems to be working, very agile, got distance on his shot. You can bulk up any 7 footer but you can't teach many of them to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

mixery wrote: »
    I love watching Porzingis. For someone his height he's got great balance, athletic abilities and a couple of pretty sweet moves already. I hope the Knicks don't force him to put on weight quickly. The current combination seems to be working, very agile, got distance on his shot. You can bulk up any 7 footer but you can't teach many of them to shoot.

or as knicks fans say booooooooooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What about the Kings' start? Yikes...

NufcNavan wrote: »
    What about the Kings' start? Yikes...

thats surely boogie out of there next year is it?

thats surely boogie out of there next year is it?

I read an interesting article that said the Kings front office mightn't have much choice. This is the 6th year in the Cousins era and they are still worse than mediocre and have given up picks. They may have to trade Boogie.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are also historically bad and seemed to have drafted a bust in Dangelo Russell. Okafor or Porzingas would have been a much better 2nd pick.

The only bright aspect for them is Julius Randle. He is looking more like a 2nd pick than Russell is.

• Advertisement

I read an interesting article that said the Kings front office mightn't have much choice. This is the 6th year in the Cousins era and they are still worse than mediocre and have given up picks. They may have to trade Boogie.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are also historically bad and seemed to have drafted a bust in Dangelo Russell. Okafor or Porzingas would have been a much better 2nd pick.

The only bright aspect for them is Julius Randle. He is looking more like a 2nd pick than Russell is.

its harsh to criticise russell yet id have gone okafor myself i was surprised by the pick but russell will likely come good. having said that i think the lakers only need to get to a decent level before they become a premiere free agent destination again

its harsh to criticise russell yet id have gone okafor myself i was surprised by the pick but russell will likely come good. having said that i think the lakers only need to get to a decent level before they become a premiere free agent destination again

I am being slightly harsh on Russell but you expect instant production from the top 3 picks. That's why they're picked that high. Russell is struggling with his jumpshot and can't get to the rim. It's going to be hard for him to create if he can't do either of those things.

Having said that, he's not being helped by having an awful coach in Scott. He will be gone soon and hopefully Russell and others flourish then.

wow i thought the celtics where doing well with the nets and possibly mavs and timberwolves picks in the upcoming draft. just realised the 6ers have the right to swap picks with the kings and get the lakers if it falls outside the top 3 they could be after building an absolute monster if this year goes right for them.

I am being slightly harsh on Russell but you expect instant production from the top 3 picks. That's why they're picked that high. Russell is struggling with his jumpshot and can't get to the rim. It's going to be hard for him to create if he can't do either of those things.

Having said that, he's not being helped by having an awful coach in Scott. He will be gone soon and hopefully Russell and others flourish then.

i wouldn't expect instant production from a top 3 pick at all to be honest its pretty common for guys to take a year or so to bed in. now its unfortunate that they skipped over okafor (seemed like madness at the time and seems so now) and to a lesser extent porzingus but given a year he could definitely develop into a serious weapon.

look at marcus smart for the celtics he's a completely different player offensively in just year two at the start of last year he couldn't really do anything on the offensive side. also exum looked terrible to start last year but as the year went on he became a completely different player all round

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/11/11/9716190/the-sacramento-kings-and-george-karl-seem-to-be-drifting-apart-already?utm_campaign=sactownroyalty&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Kings are a powder keg already, cuz noooobody saw that comin.

Vlade walking into the locker room and asking his players if he should fire the coach is pretty much the single dumbest GM story I have ever heard in my life.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/11/11/9716190/the-sacramento-kings-and-george-karl-seem-to-be-drifting-apart-already?utm_campaign=sactownroyalty&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Vlade walking into the locker room and asking his players if he should fire the coach is pretty much the single dumbest GM story I have ever heard in my life.

jesus vlade is a nut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

wow i thought the celtics where doing well with the nets and possibly mavs and timberwolves picks in the upcoming draft. just realised the 6ers have the right to swap picks with the kings and get the lakers if it falls outside the top 3 they could be after building an absolute monster if this year goes right for them.

Obviously very early days but they could have 2 top five picks in 2016 if things continue the way they have :eek:

They look pretty set at the frontcourt for the future now with Noel and Okafor (and have Saric who should be over in 2017). If they could hit on two good backcourt players in the draft and use the mountain of cap space they have to get a few decent veterans with good leadership skills on board then you'd have to be very hopeful for their future, but it's year 3 of the huge rebuild now and really the time for things to start taking shape. Reports suggest that many people within the organisation are starting to get a bit impatient and I couldn't blame them really. I'd want to be seeing clear results in 2017 myself which I feel is very fair (that'd be 5 years) but Hinkie's last few moves have the air of someone just making moves for the sake of making moves to be honest and the whole thing could go tits up if they don't show marked improvement in 2016 as I think it'd split the organisation internally.

The Embiid situation would also be very worrying. There's the fact he's out until October 2016 at least, but apparently his attitude has been horrendous. I somehow missed this last year but he was sent home from a road trip for threatening the 76ers strength and conditioning coach, he has been refusing to answer questions from trainers, refusing to wear his protective boot, went to Vegas on the piss for the Summer League despite being asked not to and has horrific eating habits. He has bust written all over him at the moment.

A really good read on the above from Sports Illustrated below:

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

Obviously very early days but they could have 2 top five picks in 2016 if things continue the way they have :eek:

They look pretty set at the frontcourt for the future now with Noel and Okafor (and have Saric who should be over in 2017). If they could hit on two good backcourt players in the draft and use the mountain of cap space they have to get a few decent veterans with good leadership skills on board then you'd have to be very hopeful for their future, but it's year 3 of the huge rebuild now and really the time for things to start taking shape. Reports suggest that many people within the organisation are starting to get a bit impatient and I couldn't blame them really. I'd want to be seeing clear results in 2017 myself which I feel is very fair (that'd be 5 years) but Hinkie's last few moves have the air of someone just making moves for the sake of making moves to be honest and the whole thing could go tits up if they don't show marked improvement in 2016 as I think it'd split the organisation internally.

The Embiid situation would also be very worrying. There's the fact he's out until October 2016 at least, but apparently his attitude has been horrendous. I somehow missed this last year but he was sent home from a road trip for threatening the 76ers strength and conditioning coach, he has been refusing to answer questions from trainers, refusing to wear his protective boot, went to Vegas on the piss for the Summer League despite being asked not to and has horrific eating habits. He has bust written all over him at the moment.

A really good read on the above from Sports Illustrated below:

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

if i was them id look to see if a team will give something decent for embid at this stage they already have noel and okafor they don't need him but add say a ben simmons and malik newman to this team and you have scary potential in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Porzingis is really really good. He's a legitimate 7 footer, moves very well, can shoot the ball from 3, great leaping ability and most importantly for a rookie is not completely incompetent on defense. Falling to 5th in the lottery now looks like a major blessing in disguise. Right now the only rookie I would take instead of him is Towns.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Porzingis is really really good. He's a legitimate 7 footer, moves very well, can shoot the ball from 3, great leaping ability and most importantly for a rookie is not completely incompetent on defense. Falling to 5th in the lottery now looks like a major blessing in disguise. Right now the only rookie I would take instead of him is Towns.

and okafor surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Mental finish in Charlotte last night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Wow, that's ridiculously close. Great play call. Really shows how good he is when they're calling game winning shots for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Wow, that's ridiculously close. Great play call. Really shows how good he is when they're calling game winning shots for him.

Don't think that play was for him tbh. Porzingis was meant to give it to Melo, saw Zeller was dropping back to pick up Melo and just took the shot instead of giving Melo a contested shot. That said though, was an incredible shot to make. Knicks are actually fun to watch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

D2D wrote: »
    Don't think that play was for him tbh. Porzingis was meant to give it to Melo, saw Zeller was dropping back to pick up Melo and just took the shot instead of giving Melo a contested shot. That said though, was an incredible shot to make. Knicks are actually fun to watch again!

I disagree, it really looks like option 1, Melo tries to pin both defenders and isn't in any position to get the ball for a shot.

D2D wrote: »

That's impressive in itself from a rookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

There's no way that's true, or if it is then its out of context. But wheeling in Drake into the locker room after a bust up shows the lack of awareness with Vivek. He had Jamie Foxx the week before with him courtside. Seems to be this show with him the whole time.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/brian-scalabrine-nba-qa-mailbag/

interesting q&a in the players tribune with the white mamba mostly on the life of a depth player in the nba also he has a fantastic idea to replace the dunk contest
    Okay, let’s just accept that the Slam Dunk contest is dead. It’s been dead. And no matter how many gimmicks or gadgets the league throws into it, it’s going to continue to be dead.

I think what the people want to see are one-on-one games. Get a sponsor to put up a $10 million purse, and have the best players in the world go at it.

There's no way that's true, or if it is then its out of context. But wheeling in Drake into the locker room after a bust up shows the lack of awareness with Vivek. He had Jamie Foxx the week before with him courtside. Seems to be this show with him the whole time.

Karl is done. The only reason he hasn't quit is because he's waiting to get fired so he can keep the money they owe him.

Vlade as a GM is also done. He doesn't even respect his own job. No decent coach will work under him now.

Cousins isn't a winner and may never be. Won't follow any instructions. Always thinks he knows more than the coach. Puts up great numbers but refuses to sacrifice anything for the team.

how many coaches is that the kings have had in the last few years now.

with regards boogie i think he can be a winner but he has to be put in a stable organisation i can understand his attitude to an extent given how much of a joke the kings have been shown to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Some quick thoughts on the last few posts:

The play was called for Melo. If it wasn't, you'd be witnessing the biggest sh*t fit by any player since Scottie Pippen threw the one where the play was called for Kukoc*.

I wouldn't trust the 6ers not to blow it if they had 9 of the 10 first round picks. Clearly I'm exaggerating but the point holds, they'd made some horrible decisions over the last 5-10years and I suspect given the incompetence of the organisation will continue to do so.

The Celtics however......:D:D:D

I expect one of :Da few scenarios:

They literally cream the draft, through chicanery from Ainge and some juggling of the picks, they

I've been saying this for a few years now, the Celtics want Cousins (they've had a few inquiries politely turned down). I'd not rule out Ainge swinging a multi-player trade given the picks they have and how little leverage the Kings have left due to his contract. You throw Boogie (+ slight attitude adjustment) on that C's Team right now and they challenge in the East. Cousins is a ball of talent and can actually knuckle down when he has a decent coach (USA Basketball for example).

great that we're talking about the draft after 9 games.....

*for all you young uns out there - google it.

here it is for y'all:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7SbG-8Bvgk&spfreload=10

Advertisement