Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Imagine if draymond pulled a muscle beating his chest. I don't think it's ever happened on the nba so chances are minuscule. David seaman and Robbie Keane have been injured reaching for a TV remote freak injurys can happen

Yes freak injuries happen but honestly it should be about minimising those chances. By the logic you've used we could dismiss everything by saying "player X could get hit by a bus tomorrow".

Again take Curry. He had glass ankles when he came into the league. He was labelled as injury prone and GS even talked about trading him at one stage while other talk had him labelled as the next Brandon Roy. Considering the history he has, If I'm him, I'm taking zero chances, I'm just not doing that jumping thing. Ankles can roll at the slightest misplacement of the foot on landing. Two or more guys doing that jumping and bumping thing has 4 or more feet landing at around the same time in a very tight space. One foot lands on another and bam - you miss a game - or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

58 points with a chance to win? Thank you kobe (nevermind the full display of bricklaying skills)

In other news, 73-9 is upon us with 402 threes thrown in on the side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What a night in the nba. Warriors beat the grizzlies to have the best record of all time. However I'm not gonna lie I spent far more time watching the highlights of kobes last game - incredible atmosphere at staples.

Kobe showing the full array of his passing skills and sharing the love with its teammates in his final game. ;)

Was it ever going to be any other way?

• Advertisement

Watching the game I think the lakers really wanted Kobe to brick run & gun. Fortunately we got to see 2006 Kobe instead of the Nov 2015 Kobe. In an interview weeks before the game Shaq (watching courtside along with other former teammates) challenged Kobe to score 50 on his final game, and the lakers made sure he did with Kobe adding 10 for good measure.

To be fair Butters his final play is a pass to Clarkson for a dunk.

Passing the torch, so to speak. :D

mjavi wrote: »
    Watching the game I think the lakers really wanted Kobe to brick run & gun. Fortunately we got to see 2006 Kobe instead of the Nov 2015 Kobe. In an interview weeks before the game Shaq (watching courtside along with other former teammates) challenged Kobe to score 50 on his final game, and the lakers made sure he did with Kobe adding 10 for good measure.

To be fair Butters his final play is a pass to Clarkson for a dunk.

Passing the torch, so to speak. :D

Just looked at the stat sheet. He took 50 (!) shots!!!!!! I can't ever remember a guy taking 50 shots in a game before!!!!

Extra: just googled it. Only 6 times prior to last night since it tracked as a stat in '83/84 have 45 shots or more been taken by one player in a game. Kobe had 3 of the 6, he now has 4 of the 7! Lol.

NBA season high this year was 36, by Russell Westbrook.

I've read an article that sums it up pretty well:

"Kobe is the patron saint of volume shooters forever and ever amen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Its sad as a Lakers fan to think this is his last game, pity we had such a terrible GM who couldnt put together a decent team for another shot at a title

I never said you where disgusted by it

I know you didn't.

I didn't mean you did even you though I worded it that way.

Just normally if people want something banned in a game, they are unhappy/disgusted/appalled by it to put a spin on it.
    I guess I should have said we didn't want it banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

so what is everyone's take on the first round of the playoffs. Had a quick look at last nights results on the phone this morning, and a look at the playoff match ups. I think all the home teams had beaten their opponents in the regular season head to head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Tommy deserves to be on there just for how much he pisses off opposing fans :D

"I think my broadcast partner Mike Gorman said it best. He said there's a generation of fans who know me as a player and there's a generation of fans who know me as a coach and now there's a generation of fans who think I'm Shrek!"

It would have been some locker/dressing room when Tommy was coach. Fag in mouth going through the tactics giving out Tommy Points for the young plucky hussler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Jordan shot 41 times when he scored 63 against the Celtics in the playoffs. He shot 49 times in a game against the Magic to score 64. Wilt shot 63 times when he scored 100. I'd bet any time any of those games are brought up, their FGA are not.

Who cares that he took so many shots in the final game of his career on a team with a bunch of scrubs that is going nowhere? He actually shot a pretty respectful percentage for his age anyway.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Jordan shot 41 times when he scored 63 against the Celtics in the playoffs. He shot 49 times in a game against the Magic to score 64. Wilt shot 63 times when he scored 100. I'd bet any time any of those games are brought up, their FGA are not.

Who cares that he took so many shots in the final game of his career on a team with a bunch of scrubs that is going nowhere? He actually shot a pretty respectful percentage for his age anyway.

It is unlikely, but I would laugh if that bunch of "scrubs" where left in tact (they will be dismantled) and started to do really well next season, even flirt or get 8th Spot. The players then can say "Kobe held us back" (Well, with him out for so long injured, they could not say that either)

Only basketball would allow their stars such indulgence . Over 40 shots, Christ what a pathetic team LA are, and Scott probably threatened every player not to try and take over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Lt Dan wrote: »
    It is unlikely, but I would laugh if that bunch of "scrubs" where left in tact (they will be dismantled) and started to do really well next season, even flirt or get 8th Spot. The players then can say "Kobe held us back" (Well, with him out for so long injured, they could not say that either)

Only basketball would allow their stars such indulgence . Over 40 shots, Christ what a pathetic team LA are, and Scott probably threatened every player not to try and take over

Why is it an issue he's a legend of the game and this game didn't matter anyway. This team was not making the playoffs this year regardless so lines farewell tour has lasted them sold out arenas and the 2nd spot in the lottery happy days for a rebuilding gm.

Kobe probably took more shots last night than Deandre Jordan has taken in his whole career(dunks and lobs not counted) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not to sound too obnoxious but this has been the best basketball season ever for me ever so far.
    Didn't go to too many regular season games this year but getting to sit courtside, meeting Steve Nash and watching the Warriors get win #73 live will be hard to beat.
    Roll on the playoffs, I just can't see them being beat bar injury.

Kobe ends his career like he has always played it, all about him, 50 shots, jesus... still one of the greatest ever though.

41 shots in a game that went to OT, also in the playoffs (I think the stats I gave earlier were regular season only).

41 shots in a game that went to OT, also in the playoffs (I think the stats were reg
    63 to get 100 and the Jordan references are valid, but they're still gunning. In fairness to Wilt, he wasn't shooting 3's (they weren't in the NBA at that time but even if they were he wouldn't have been taking any. Jordan wasn't a great 3 point shooter btw so not sure how many 3s he'd have been chucking up (Kobe took 21 3's last night).

Point still holds though that he was gunning. 50 shots is insane....as is the fact he owns 4 of the 7 45+ shot games in the last 33 years. It's no fun for the rest of the team playing with a guy like that.

Lt Dan wrote: »

That roster? lol not going to happen. Kobe did try earlier in the season to take a back seat and be a facilitator and the team still sucked historic ass. The Kobe farewell tour has been in effect for months because of how bad they are.

41 shots in a game that went to OT, also in the playoffs (I think the stats I gave earlier were regular season only).

41 shots in a game that went to OT, also in the playoffs (I think the stats were reg
    63 to get 100 and the Jordan references are valid, but they're still gunning. In fairness to Wilt, he wasn't shooting 3's (they weren't in the NBA at that time but even if they were he wouldn't have been taking any. Jordan wasn't a great 3 point shooter btw so not sure how many 3s he'd have been chucking up (Kobe took 21 3's last night).

Point still holds though that he was gunning. 50 shots is insane....as is the fact he owns 4 of the 7 45+ shot games in the last 33 years. It's no fun for the rest of the team playing with a guy like that.

Kobe also played a lot more than Jordan (20 seasons to 14). On average Jordan shot more shots per game than Kobe, including more FGA/GM during their last season.

Kobe took a lot of bad shots which is why he shot 45% and Jordan shot 49. I'm not disputing that at all. But I am disputing that it's strictly due to ego. For better or worse, Kobe thought him shooting/scoring was the best way to win the game. Same way Jordan did. He just so happened to worse shot selection. He was basically a less efficient version of Jordan. They average similar assist and assist% numbers throughout their careers. Jordan was a better rebounder by 1 per game, so on and so forth.

Did he cost them the Detroit series? Yes he did. But that doesn't mean he didn't eventually reinvent his game to a degree that allowed him to win two more rings. Kobe wanted the acknowledgment of being the alpha on his team. People constantly criticise and knock him for being 1A during his first three championships, so you can't really blame him for wanting to be that alpha player that is the clear cut guy on a championship team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Kobe also played a lot more than Jordan (20 seasons to 14). On average Jordan shot more shots per game than Kobe, including more FGA/GM during their last season.

Kobe took a lot of bad shots which is why he shot 45% and Jordan shot 59. I'm not disputing that at all. But I am disputing that it's strictly due to ego. For better or worse, Kobe thought him shooting/scoring was the best way to win the game. Same way Jordan did. He just so happened to worse shot selection. He was basically a less efficient version of Jordan. They average similar assist and assist% numbers throughout their careers. Jordan was a better rebounder by 1 per game, so on and so forth.

Did he cost them the Detroit series? Yes he did. But that doesn't mean he didn't eventually reinvent his game to a degree that allowed him to win two more rings. Kobe wanted the acknowledgment of being the alpha on his team. People constantly criticise and knock him for being 1A during his first three championships, so you can't really blame him for wanting to be that alpha player that is the clear cut guy on a championship team.

So are we just going to let this fabrication slide or...?

Jordan developed more of a complete game as his career progressed. Kobe basically became a better version of Kobe. The hard question that was constantly asked about being a superstar in the 80s/90s was "do you make the players around you better?". Jordan eventually did (he didn't in the early days), but he learned to do it. I'd argue Kobe never did by anything like the same degree. It's too early, I'm too tired and on the phone to develop this further but I hope the point is clear. If not I'll return to it later.

That roster? lol not going to happen. Kobe did try earlier in the season to take a back seat and be a facilitator and the team still sucked historic ass. The Kobe farewell tour has been in effect for months because of how bad they are.

I did say, "in the unlikely event" and predicted that the said roster would be "dismantled" by any incoming GM.

Jordan developed more of a complete game as his career progressed. Kobe basically became a better version of Kobe. The hard question that was constantly asked about being a superstar in the 80s/90s was "do you make the players around you better?". Jordan eventually did (he didn't in the early days), but he learned to do it. I'd argue Kobe never did by anything like the same degree. It's too early, I'm too tired and on the phone to develop this further but I hope the point is clear. If not I'll return to it later.

The 2010 team was solid enough.

For all of Kobe's faults, he actually was a pretty damn good facilitator when in the mood.

Except Jordan had none of those attributes about himself prior to Phil coaching him. Jordan was labelled as a "me-first" ball hog who didn't get along with players. Now once he got with Phil, his leadership went through the roof and so did his ability to win. But prior to Phil, he struggled in that area.

People forget, Jordan went to college for 3 years under Dean Smith (who Jordan credits with teaching him the game, and says is a better coach than Phil) and then came into the NBA. He was a more mature young adult when he got to the league. Kobe came straight from High School and then was paired with Shaq who wasn't exactly a leader himself at the time. So it took him longer to learn about leadership, etc.

The myth of Michael Jordan has gotten bigger and more away from reality as time has progressed. He was obviously a GREAT, LEGENDARY player. But so many act as if the guy was without faults. Like he never had bad games in big moments, etc.

Kobe obviously fell short of MJ the player, but his status is as close as there is in league history. I could cite plenty of quotes with Michael himself saying as such. Jordan respected Kobe, his game, his work ethic and everything else because MJ understood the sacrifice and hard work Kobe put into everything he did.

buyer95 wrote: »
    So are we just going to let this fabrication slide or...?

It was not an intended fabrication, clearly a typo.

Except Jordan had none of those attributes about himself prior to Phil coaching him. Jordan was labelled as a "me-first" ball hog who didn't get along with players. Now once he got with Phil, his leadership went through the roof and so did his ability to win. But prior to Phil, he struggled in that area.

People forget, Jordan went to college for 3 years under Dean Smith (who Jordan credits with teaching him the game, and says is a better coach than Phil) and then came into the NBA. He was a more mature young adult when he got to the league. Kobe came straight from High School and then was paired with Shaq who wasn't exactly a leader himself at the time. So it took him longer to learn about leadership, etc.

The myth of Michael Jordan has gotten bigger and more away from reality as time has progressed. He was obviously a GREAT, LEGENDARY player. But so many act as if the guy was without faults. Like he never had bad games in big moments, etc.

Kobe obviously fell short of MJ the player, but his status is as close as there is in league history. I could cite plenty of quotes with Michael himself saying as such. Jordan respected Kobe, his game, his work ethic and everything else because MJ understood the sacrifice and hard work Kobe put into everything he did.

Yes.....

And Jordan went to the Bulls.....a completely crap team when he joined them and had to learn on the job. Kobe went to a solid (at the time) franchise that had a winning culture, superstars he could learn from and good coaching. Jordan was the superstar from Day 1 - not easy as a rookie on a crap team I'm sure. Jordan blew up in a way no-one really expected at the time - the Bulls had feck all TV games scheduled his first year (this was before every game was televised) so all people got was a couple of highlights on the news. Chicago were 27-55 the season before they got Jordan. Lakers were 53-29 prior to Kobe.

There's a lot of people remembering Kobe very (a little too maybe?) fondly too......... and he's retired 2 days! Imagine the hype in 10+ years?

Except maybe in Charlotte :D

Yes.....

And Jordan went to the Bulls.....a completely crap team when he joined them and had to learn on the job. Kobe went to a solid (at the time) franchise that had a winning culture, superstars he could learn from and good coaching. Jordan was the superstar from Day 1 - not easy as a rookie on a crap team I'm sure. Jordan blew up in a way no-one really expected at the time - the Bulls had feck all TV games scheduled his first year (this was before every game was televised) so all people got was a couple of highlights on the news. Chicago were 27-55 the season before they got Jordan. Lakers were 53-29 prior to Kobe.

There's a lot of people remembering Kobe very (a little too maybe?) fondly too......... and he's retired 2 days! Imagine the hype in 10+ years?

Except maybe in Charlotte :D
    I understand all of that. He gets the additional press and adoration because 1) he played for a marquee franchise in a huge market and 2) he played there for 20 years. And the guy is sort of a rebel/loner who clearly never gave a f*ck about what people thought of him (except that one time when Philly fans booed him at the all-star game). Sort of a polarising figure to so many, therefore people always had an opinion about him.

But equally there's quite a few who have a perception of Kobe based off what they've seen over the last few years. The injuries took their toll and some just see him as some selfish ball hog who fills stats, terrble fg% etc. not helped by all of these stupid memes you see on facebook etc.

I'm not sure anyone in the history of competitive sports have been as obsessed with winning as Jordan. But let's not take anything away from Kobe's competitiveness: He was maniacal too. I find it really difficult to argue that Kobe wasn't a winner (not that you said that though, but some have). He won five freaking titles. Again though, we can't resist the urge to compare him to Jordan.

I guess in a roundabout way is that while MJ trumps Kobe every time (nobody can argue that), their games are a lot more similar than some would like to admit.

I understand all of that. He gets the additional press and adoration because 1) he played for a marquee franchise in a huge market and 2) he played there for 20 years. And the guy is sort of a rebel/loner who clearly never gave a f*ck about what people thought of him (except that one time when Philly fans booed him at the all-star game). Sort of a polarising figure to so many, therefore people always had an opinion about him.

But equally there's quite a few who have a perception of Kobe based off what they've seen over the last few years. The injuries took their toll and some just see him as some selfish ball hog who fills stats, terrble fg% etc. not helped by all of these stupid memes you see on facebook etc.

I'm not sure anyone in the history of competitive sports have been as obsessed with winning as Jordan. But let's not take anything away from Kobe's competitiveness: He was maniacal too. I find it really difficult to argue that Kobe wasn't a winner (not that you said that though, but some have). He won five freaking titles. Again though, we can't resist the urge to compare him to Jordan.

I guess in a roundabout way is that while MJ trumps Kobe every time (nobody can argue that), their games are a lot more similar than some would like to admit.

And again...

Jordan was ALWAYS the alpha male on his team, Kobe played with Shaq when Shaq was by a mile the most dominant player in the game.

Not implying Kobe wasn't a winner, but he's not the god people think he is in this post retirement glow he's basking in right now.

Just to clarify in case anyone is wondering here - Jordan isn't my favourite player. Bird is. Then Kukoc. Then Theo Papaloukas (I know some people reading this are probably saying "who?"). Then Duncan. Curry (who I was yelling about long before he became the star he is today) has been my favourite guy to watch in recent years. I just appreciate different things to other people I guess. Also a huge Manu fan.

• Advertisement

Are we doing play off predictions?

Advertisement