Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hedo retires. Some nice highlights here for those who may not be so familiar with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7fN-icPyM&spfreload=10

Can't post it as a youtube link as there's two "=" in the link :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hedo retires. Some nice highlights here for those who may not be so familiar with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7fN-icPyM&spfreload=10

Can't post it as a youtube link as there's two "=" in the link :(

I think people forget just how good Hedo was with the Magic those years they got to the finals with DH against the lakers. He was the playmaker for that team that they needed to make the whole team work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

I think people forget just how good Hedo was with the Magic those years they got to the finals with DH against the lakers. He was the playmaker for that team that they needed to make the whole team work well together.

that magic team in general went off the ball very very quickly didn't "skip to my lou" play significant mins for them and reshard lewis

Tru dat. He could ball. Saw him play in the flesh at the European Championships a few years ago but never in the NBA. For a guy who was 6'10" he could handle and pass a lot better than most players of similar size. In many ways he was a Larry Bird-lite (though without the toughness or passion of Bird I'd argue).

He's also the classic example of a guy who suits a particular system and coaching style. Hedo always looked great for teams that designed their offences around him (Orlando, Turkish national team), but not so hot where he was a role player. I've always said that how good a player you look on court in many ways is down to how a coach runs a team; some players fit certain systems, some don't. It's why you'll often see some players excel after a trade, and some look decidedly average. Some guys and their skill-sets just suit certain offences better than others.

Speaking of offences, watched about half the Knicks Cavs game last night.....my God Melo is just playing by himself for himself again....total iso-ball. Fisher has no control over that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was just looking at the standings as I've been out of the loop the last week or so aside from a few games. There's no real surprise to see the vast majority of teams that are struggling (Grizzlies and Rockets aside), but the Pelicans are 1-8 :eek: But then I looked a bit deeper and their injury list reads as follows:

652cefb940630dc08ad38fc883ef7be8.png

Man, they've been gutted. Considering they'd have to go ~.600 to have a shot at that last seed in the West now, their season is essentially lost already. They'd be much better off just scrapping the season and taking the pick.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Warriors out to a 7-0 start and don't even properly have their head coach, crazy. I wonder if they might challenge the 48/49 Capitols and 93/93 Rockets for that 15-0 start? Their next 8 games are:

vs Pistons
    @ Grizzlies
    @ T-Wolves
    vs Nets
    vs Raptors
    @ Clippers
    vs Bulls
    @ Nuggets

Pistons and Raptors have had a very good start, though 3 each of their wins have come against East teams so will hardly strike fear into the Warriors. Grizzlies, T-Wolves and Nets should be money in the bank, though they are back-to-back road games in consecutive nights against Memphis and Minnesota so it's possible that they could fall there.

For 16-0 and the new record it would be vs Lakers, so essentially if they equal the 15-0 record they probably beat it 2 days later.

Personally I think they'll get to @ Clippers/vs Bulls and lose one of those, so 13-0 or 14-0 before being defeated and just miss out.

Funnily enough the one team on the above list you wouldn't expect to trouble them at all gave them a big fright last night. The Nets went up pretty big in the first half but the Warriors pulled it back, Lopez missed a great chance at the buzzer to get the win and then the Warriors took over in OT, scoring the first 10 points.

Anyway, that's 11-0 now and the record is getting ever closer. They've got a couple of days off now before hosting Toronto. If they win that, their next one at the Clippers will be huge.

• Advertisement

That was a strange game (the GSW BKN one).

Dumb as hell from BKN not to foul Iggy on that last play of regulation, really makes you wonder how much these guys are robots sometimes with zero ability to think for themselves.

Listened to the Simmons podcast this morning for the first time in a couple of seasons. He's all in on Curry and GSW, and Boogie to the C's. He made one very good point on Curry though - he said Nash had 2 MVP seasons and his play was nowhere near Curry's levels this year, which is accurate and fair.

I'd LOVE to see Boogie to the C's, been saying this for the last few years. PLEASE DANNY, MAKE IT HAPPEN! :D

Would you do a deal for boogie that included the nets pick, smart and sully

Would you do a deal for boogie that included the nets pick, smart and sully

Yes.

No-one on that team right now is untouchable - that's part of the good and the bad with the C's right now. They're solid across the floor in all positions and back up, but there's no superstar talent on that team. The only one coming close for me is Olynk (seriously).

I've been on Boogie for years. Celtics almost made a 4 player trade for him a few years ago, and they should have done it then IMO. Despite all the seasons he's played, he's still only 25. People diss his attitude but look at the mess of an organisation he plays for. When he was on the US team there were no problems - different situation, better(sterner) coaches and hey presto, he's the man. There's not a single team in the league would not want him, baggage and all - and that's why I wish they'd done a deal earlier. As his contract expires and it gets closer to the All Star break and the Play Offs you'll see crazy bids for him. They should have locked this down a few years ago.

I'd honestly rather take Boogie (easily a Top 10 Player in the league right now and IMO the best 4/5 Forward/Center in the league - and on current form I'm including Anthony Davis in that - not sure what the hell is going on there?) over the 4 picks next year. Anything can happen in the draft. Boogie is a proven talent. You have a limited window to win in the NBA, building is fine but it's too gradual - you need to make a move like this that propels your talent to the next level to win it all. You take your chance when you have it.

Make the trade Danny. Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dwight Howard lowkey claims another soul. 9 coaches in 12 years.

The Lawson trade was so stupid. One, Ty is overrated just by himself. Two, he is an awful fit with James Harden. You can't just stick Lawson in a corner and let Harden go to work. Morey just collects assets. He doesn't build a basketball team.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Dwight Howard lowkey claims another soul. 9 coaches in 12 years.

The Lawson trade was so stupid. One, Ty is overrated just by himself. Two, he is an awful fit with James Harden. You can't just stick Lawson in a corner and let Harden go to work. Morey just collects assets. He doesn't build a basketball team.

tad harsh to blame mchale or the lakers on him i wouldn't regard dwight as a coach killer in the slightest to be honest

• Advertisement

tad harsh to blame mchale or the lakers on him i wouldn't regard dwight as a coach killer in the slightest to be honest

Really? Do you not remember his last years with the Magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I thought McHale was a bit lacking as a coach, for a team with championship aspirations. Can't remember specifics now, but he did a few glaring things that made you question him. Shame because he was a great player and seems a real nice guy.

The Patrick Beverley injury hurt them badly last season just before the playoffs, very good defensive PG (if a bit dirty), would've helped going up against CP3 and Curry.

Really? Do you not remember his last years with the Magic?

that was years ago though mchale and brown are unfair to him he's not even been the leader on those teams

that was years ago though mchale and brown are unfair to him he's not even been the leader on those teams

His attitude at the Lakers was disgraceful. Complained about wanting to do it all in the Magic and then didn't like playing with proven winners (albeit banged up) at the Lakers. All while his numbers regressed in what should have been his prime years.

jesus look at this who said post plays not fun

https://streamable.com/jrgf

His attitude at the Lakers was disgraceful. Complained about wanting to do it all in the Magic and then didn't like playing with proven winners (albeit banged up) at the Lakers. All while his numbers regressed in what should have been his prime years.

in fairness kobe is known to be a hard guy to get along with there is a reason nobody has had an interest in l.a. since he's fallen off

Btw I'm not a fan if Howard either I don't think him or harden will win a championship as long as either are one of the top two players on any team

Oh, Warriors @ Clippers tonight....don't watch many non-Bulls regular season games, but might check that out tomorrow.

The Bulls play in Oakland Friday night, and I don't think have much chance of stopping the unbeaten streak if the Clippers don't do it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Stopped Miamis there a few years ago so wouldn't put it past them!

Is steve Kerr still out after his back surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Yeah he's still out, not expected back for months, probably around the all star break.

• Advertisement

kelly olynyk does dirks move on dirk :D

https://streamable.com/fqgs

dirk said "thats cold blooded i was lucky it nearly went in" to olynyk he said "dont give me my own move"

In the States at the moment with work. That Clipps GSW game was the best game I've seen in a long time.

Only thing that can stop GSW IMO this year will be injuries or a bad trade; long term will be failing to keep the team together.

Where will the streak end now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

In the States at the moment with work. That Clipps GSW game was the best game I've seen in a long time.

Only thing that can stop GSW IMO this year will be injuries or a bad trade; long term will be failing to keep the team together.

Where will the streak end now?

15-0 is the current winning streak record which if they beat the bulls they cold go onto 20 then Raptors and Nets might be tricky . 1970 Knicks had 23-1 record with one loss followed by 09 Celtics at 27–2

Warriors and Cavs christmas day will be a great game

McLoughlin wrote: »
    15-0 is the current winning streak record which if they beat the bulls they cold go onto 20 then Raptors and Nets might be tricky . 1970 Knicks had 23-1 record with one loss followed by 09 Celtics at 27–2

Warriors and Cavs christmas day will be a great game

And they're doing this in the West - not to be under-estimated how much more difficult that is than the East.

And they're doing this in the West - not to be under-estimated how much more difficult that is than the East.
    This is not the west of the last few years in fairness it's been average so far

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Warriors out to a 7-0 start and don't even properly have their head coach, crazy. I wonder if they might challenge the 48/49 Capitols and 93/93 Rockets for that 15-0 start? Their next 8 games are:

vs Pistons
    @ Grizzlies
    @ T-Wolves
    vs Nets
    vs Raptors
    @ Clippers
    vs Bulls
    @ Nuggets

Pistons and Raptors have had a very good start, though 3 each of their wins have come against East teams so will hardly strike fear into the Warriors. Grizzlies, T-Wolves and Nets should be money in the bank, though they are back-to-back road games in consecutive nights against Memphis and Minnesota so it's possible that they could fall there.

For 16-0 and the new record it would be vs Lakers, so essentially if they equal the 15-0 record they probably beat it 2 days later.

Personally I think they'll get to @ Clippers/vs Bulls and lose one of those, so 13-0 or 14-0 before being defeated and just miss out.

13-0 now, so they've got over the one they were most likely to slip up in which was last night against the Clippers. 3 more to go for the all-time record!

This is not the west of the last few years in fairness it's been average so far

It's early days admittedly but you're surely not going to argue that the west is significantly stronger than the east?

It's early days admittedly but you're surely not going to argue that the west is significantly stronger than the east?

it will change no doubt as teams like the rockets and pelicans find themselves but so far outside of the warriors themselves its been all the one

Brave effort from the Bulls last night. Thought it was about our best performance this season....3 point game with about a minute to go. Wasn't easy, down two point-guards (Rose & Brooks), missed Dunleavy too. Snell shot poorly, and while McDermott is leading the league in three-point percentage this year, the Warriors continued to attack him defensively.

Some positives....Butler played great, the team defense was pretty good, and a nice big-man rapport developing between Gasol and Mirotic. I'm happier about this performance than some of the wins we've got this season.

• Advertisement

..And now the Clippers lost to Portland lol.

Brandon Knight had 38 tonight vs. Denver. Can't believe the Bucks traded him for Miles Plumlee and James Ennis.

I know the trade was about getting MCW, because Jason Kidd viewed him as a pet project. Thinking he could sire him with his knowledge and he'd be a star in a few years under his mentorship. MCW just isn't the pure shooter or scorer though that Knight is. He's just longer and bigger. That trade was lopsided.

Advertisement