Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Comments

he lowered the shoulder into him that has to be a charge :(

some bull**** calls but the warriors are a better team so its hard to complain to much particularly when you had two chances to win it with the last shot.

steph is a freak.

really enjoyable game until the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

And the streak keeps going. Fair play to the Celtics, they played fantastically. Dubs just gutted it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

buyer95 wrote: »
    Rondo clearly fouled Melo on that play, and he should have would have been shooting free throws as the Kings were in the penalty. The league has come out and said the refs missed the foul. http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/12/L2M-NYK-SAC-12-10-15.pdf

KP was open, but the pass was not an easy one to make. By the time Melo got into position to possibly make the pass there was 1.9 seconds on the clock meaning that there probably wasn't time for Melo to pass, Kp to catch and then lay it in/dunk. The shot was probably the best option to be honest.

It wasn't that clear in real time to be fair to the refs (and I'm no fan of NBA No Travel refs). I honestly didn't think he was fouled at the time, just thought it was Melo being Melo (as per my original post).

Chuck (Barkley) destroyed him (Melo) post game for the shot and rightly so, the shot selection was awful regardless of how you analyse that play. The Kings D was equally awful if you look back at the play. Boogie was standing near the FT line guarding his own shadow (poorly) while KP was under the basket.

The problem with the play is with less than 2 seconds left you can't be giving a guy the ball that far away from the basket and have him try and create something from that far out.

The refs will call a foul on a drive in that situation 100 times more than they're ever going to call it in a jump shot - and a contested one by 2 players even more so.

With the above in mind you run him off a couple of screens to get the ball around the free throw line extended on the inbounds play. Then he has a 1 on 1 drive to the basket and the full time to play with it and a much shorter distance to travel to reach the basket. You either get the lay up or the foul and go to the line and shoot two.

They did NOT need a 3 on that play. That's the primary reason it was a terrible play. The other reason it was a terrible play was the execution was just awful. If you are going to play for a 3 you want spot up shooters relatively free to run that, unless you're GSW :)

Actually in hindsight the joke of a head coach is as much to blame as Melo. I hope Matt Barnes kicks his ass again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And the streak keeps going. Fair play to the Celtics, they played fantastically. Dubs just gutted it out

Can't see it being stopped (potentially) until they play Cleveland on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Wear and tear is going to eventually set in on Golden State especially playing back to back games more so if they have overtime like last night.

Thy should beat the Bucks and hopefully last night overtime didnt tire them out. Suns, Bucks and Jazz in Oakland with some days off in between they could win those and 28-0 on christmas with Cavs in Oakland. They play again in January in Ohio

Warriors were I think 3-1 at home versus the Cavs last year and 2-2 away. I could see Golden State taking at least game against the Cavs but which one Christmas perhaps hard to say but that is going to be a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

some bull**** calls but the warriors are a better team so its hard to complain to much particularly when you had two chances to win it with the last shot.

steph is a freak.

really enjoyable game until the end

Curry was getting grabbed and held practically every trip down the floor. Avery Bradley fouled out about two and half times this game, if they were going to call everything straight up. It was happening with or without the ball.

The notion in general that the no handcheck rule nowadays means there isn't any contact is bunk. It's basically the idea that the Bad Boy Pistons started: just be physical all the time and the refs can't possibly call EVERY foul that actually occurs; game would be damn near unwatchable with constant whistles and foul outs.

Also, if you're the C's you need someone better than Thomas to close out a game.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's Tommy ? That nerd is the living god that has 8 as a player and TWO as a coach in 74 and 76. And he and Mike are no more biased then most team commentators.

They are the worst in the league. By far. Can't stand listening to them.

Stacy King is bad with the Bulls but at least he can reel it in now and then. Heinsolm is a pure homer who shouts like a cranky old man who's annoyed at poor tv reception.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Curry was getting grabbed and held practically every trip down the floor. Avery Bradley fouled out about two and half times this game, if they were going to call everything straight up. It was happening with or without the ball.

The notion in general that the no handcheck rule nowadays means there isn't any contact is bunk. It's basically the idea that the Bad Boy Pistons started: just be physical all the time and the refs can't possibly call EVERY foul that actually occurs; game would be damn near unwatchable with constant whistles and foul outs.

Also, if you're the C's you need someone better than Thomas to close out a game.

Yup, they do this every time they've played GSW for the last few years, not so much in other games. They target Curry big time, Bradley did a similar job on him a couple of seasons ago when Curry was on (what the time seemed, pales by comparison now!) a pretty amazing scoring run. They don't in fairness play like that all the time. And they're nowhere near the Bad Boys, thankfully those days are long gone from the game.

What I hope doesn't happen however is teams starting to think the only way to stop Curry is to beat him up, either legally through screens/blocking out/etc or illegally through a foul designed to hurt him. He's prob the best free throw shooter in the league and that should stop a lot of the silly fouls as it's automatic from the line, but it's the wear and tear on your body of being bumped all night and 'accidentally' running into an elbow with your back (:rolleyes:) or a knee left there designed to give you a dead leg that'll take you out of a game...even if it's only for that game, or part of it.

The Cavs meanwhile are notching up their own nice little streak (12) and for all the headlines going to GSW, the Spurs (who else?) are only 5 games behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Another win for the Warriors last night to move to 18-0. Their circus trip starts on Tuesday:

@ Jazz
    @ Hornets
    @ Raptors
    @ Nets
    @ Pacers
    @ Celtics
    @ Bucks

The back-to-backs are Raptors/Nets and Celtics/Bucks, with 1 day of rest between Jazz/Hornets and 2 days of rest between Nets/Pacers.

Where, if anywhere, will they fall?

Warriors survived a scare last night in Boston and are now just one game away from coming home from their circus trip 7-0. That'd leave vs Suns, vs Bucks and vs Jazz to give us the Christmas Day game against the Cavs with the Warriors 27-0.

I really hope they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Add your reply here.
    I've watched a bit of him, he's been very mixed. Spacing is a huge issue when he takes the floor with Boogie

He has been mixed but the first month or so was George Karl experimenting with rotations and with Boogie missing so many games it was hard to get a true sense of what his role in the team can be.

He's also out for 6 weeks now with a fractured finger from the Celtics game in Mexico City. Not a huge impact yet but he's already by far the best king draft pick since Isaiah but basically a work in progress so far but has shown some nice flashes on both sides of the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Warriors in a bit of bother, down 13 with just over 5 mins to go.

Looks like the run is over.

Cant watch it due to the laptop I'm running, just wouldn't play on PP but they were trailing since I started following the score in the 3rd.
    Down 10 but closed it down quickly and they were just 2 down with 1.50 left in the 3rd(1/3 shot then)

Back to check Boyles there and its 91-79 and the Bucks are 1/8 so it must nearly be over.
    Seems impossible to save it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Fair play to the Bucks, took it to the Warriors 108-95 to hand them their first loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The streak is over. Bollocks anyway.

Back to the Bulls depressing me I suppose. :(

Another piece that gives great insight into Curry's mindset, he genuinely seems like a humble, gracious guy (with a killer instinct of course) and a very hard guy to dislike. Crazy he's only the 5th best paid player on the team but he appears to have great perspective on things.

How Stephen Curry makes his daily peace with a contract unfit for the MVP

01-expert-feat-posts-70x70-png_005116.png By Adrian Wojnarowski December 11, 2015 10:39 PM Yahoo Sports

BOSTON – For his peerless talent and uncommon character, Steph Curry has long been justified to make even the most modest of acknowledgement to the truth. The NBA's Most Valuable Player is the most underpaid athlete in professional sports – the fifth-highest-compensated player on the Golden State Warriors. And yet, no one has ever seen him deliver so much as an eye roll – never mind heard a grumble – on the imbalance of it all.
    For a different superstar of a different cloth, the residue of signing a four-year, $44 million rookie contract extension in late 2012 could've brought out the worst of jealousies and pettiness. There are times Curry can walk onto the floor with Andre Iguodala, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut and understand that he's the lowest-paid Warrior on the court.
    Does Steph Curry think about it?
    Of course, Steph Curry thinks about it.

Stephen Curry is the fifth-highest-paid player on the Warriors. (AP)

"I had to make a conscious decision and remind myself over and over [to let it go]," Curry told Yahoo Sports. "I could've had a different perspective and said, 'I want to get everything that I could get, wait it out, test free agency that next year – and who knows what would've happened? But for me, a $44 million contract was plenty for me to be able to provide for my family. When I made a decision to sign an extension, I told myself that was the right decision for the moment. "And, yeah, you should get paid market value, paid for what you're worth, but at the time, for four years, I was comfortable with it. You can't look back, because it'll bring negativity. It'll cause dissension in the team if you allow it to."
    At the intersection of the rookie extension window and the severe doubts about the stability of his ankles in the fall of 2012, Curry was a marvelous talent, but still far short of transcendent. Curry could've passed on the deal and gone into restricted free agency in 2013.
    The choice was clear: Stay healthy, become a star and probably get a max offer on the market.
    Or risk those ankles crumbling under him, leaving Curry without a lifetime of financial security.
    "After three years, I've still got to remind myself every day," Curry told Yahoo Sports. "Number one, there's nothing I can do about it. There's no point to moaning and complaining and trying to change something that really can't be changed. I knew there might be a time down the road, after all the ankle injuries, that if I'm playing to my potential, it's going to be human nature to think, 'Oh, I should've done this, or that …'
    "[But] at the time, the counsel that I got from my family, my agent, myself, was that it was the right decision to make. With that, I could take care of my family and be good. And hopefully anything that happened after that would just be icing on the cake."
    From the 2009 NBA draft class, Ty Lawson signed a four-year, $48 million extension and Jrue Holiday signed a four-year, $41 million deal. All around the league, the discussion surrounding Curry's deal wasn't that the Warriors had gotten over him, but that the franchise could be saddled with a broken, unproductive player. It is easy to forget, and Curry never does.
    He's the standing league MVP now, and appears on his way to winning the award in back-to-back seasons. And yet in Golden State's championship series victory over Cleveland a year ago, the Finals MVP turned out to be Iguodala. Privately, Golden State's front office officials will concede Iguodala probably wouldn't be a Warrior without the cap space created out of Curry's discount.

View gallery
    golden-state-warriors-v-toronto-20151206-012928-248.jpgCurry could be headed for his second straight MVP season. (Getty Images)

Curry thinks about this, too: Whatever he's lost in NBA salary, his career and ultimate earning power have profoundly benefitted because he unintentionally gave Golden State an MVP talent on a solid starter's contract. Curry made it much easier for the Warriors to surround him long term with an elite supporting cast. Through it all, too: Curry has never felt the need to remind everyone of it. "I have thought about it occasionally, and understand that, for me, talking to the people in my camp, everything does happen for a reason," Curry told Yahoo Sports. "I've tried to just be appreciative of what I have. Obviously a lot of other things have happened off the court that have helped the situation, Under Armour, other sponsors.
    "On the back end, when this is all said and done, things will come around the right way. It's nice to know that I got a championship out of it, an MVP season out of it, and hopefully setting up for something better down the line."
    Curry is a phenomenon, the Ted Williams of basketball. He shoots the ball the way Williams swung a bat: Genius born of relentless repetition and obsessive study of the craft. Fans flood turnstiles to watch that long, gorgeous 3-point arc in warm-ups, the way they would gather to watch a hitter take batting practice.
    The Warriors are 24-0, and Curry is playing ball at a level seldom seen in the history of the sport. In the summer of 2017, Steph Curry will stand to be paid a five-year, $175 million-plus maximum extension. He's right. Things do happen for a reason.
    "I'm taken care of, and I'm thankful that I can be on the court able to play at a high level," Curry told Yahoo. "I'm thankful it's not the other way around, that I didn't become an overpaid player. That's a different conversation."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Great article on that crazy Thabo Sefolosha story last year. Great piece of writing basketball aside. For anyone with a bit of time on their hands, check this out. http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14379532/how-atlanta-hawks-forward-thabo-sefolosha-became-civil-rights-symbol?sf17243933=1

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Paully D wrote: »
    The streak is over. Bollocks anyway.

Back to the Bulls depressing me I suppose. :(

I was hoping the streak would last till they played Cleveland. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I was hoping the streak would last till they played Cleveland. Oh well.

Me, too. Was planning on going to the cavs game but going to the bucks game tonight instead.
    Got Courtside tickets, first NBA getting this close, right behind Warriors bench too, can't wait, especially since it's the Bucks, should be a good atmosphere

Was listenin to the bill Simmons podcast today and he thought up a great trade.

Zach Randolph
    For
    Pau gasol

Who says no

• Advertisement

Was listenin to the bill Simmons podcast today and he thought up a great trade.

Zach Randolph
    For
    Pau gasol

Who says no

I like that trade more if I'm the Bulls.

Some game last night at Oracle, fair play to the Bucks, they play hard and pushed the Warriors all the way. Having courtside seats and VIP is definitely going to be one of my most memorable sporting memories, it wont happen often. A few pics attached, met steve nash too which was pretty cool.
    Was right behind warriors bench, was very cool being within touching distance of curry and co, listening to them talk and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Russell, Clarkson, Durant, Randle and D12. You heard it here first
    #Lakers5 #KeepDreaming

astonaidan wrote: »
    #Lakers5 #KeepDreaming

Why would you want Howard back.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Why would you want Howard back.

why would anyone want Howard, despite all his talent and natural ability, he has done nothing but frustrate organisations and fans. His attitude just sucks in my opinion, despite all his defensive accolades, he doesn't have a winning attitude.

why would anyone want Howard, despite all his talent and natural ability, he has done nothing but frustrate organisations and fans. His attitude just sucks in my opinion, despite all his defensive accolades, he doesn't have a winning attitude.

wouldn't say that he lead a team to the nba championships he's in a bad situation in Houston (i dont think he fits well with an iso player) but i still think he could play very well in a team that suits his style a bit better. now i will say his injuries and lack of availability at the moment would stop me from signing him as a number 1 guy or probably a number 2 guy but he can definetly be a big part of a team winning a championship

astonaidan wrote: »
    #Lakers5 #KeepDreaming

Lakers will never touch D12 again. Ever.

Some game last night at Oracle, fair play to the Bucks, they play hard and pushed the Warriors all the way. Having courtside seats and VIP is definitely going to be one of my most memorable sporting memories, it wont happen often. A few pics attached, met steve nash too which was pretty cool.
    Was right behind warriors bench, was very cool being within touching distance of curry and co, listening to them talk and stuff.

Nice! How'd you swing that?

I'm hoping to get to the Spurs game in Oakland in jan (there with work). Wanna have a beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

So the Sixers lose again (I'm a casual NBA and Sixers fan), I know it's Cleveland, but 1-28 ffs. I honestly don't know how they get fans through the door at Wells Fargo Centre. I know what Sam Hinkie is apparently trying to do, but tbh this is an embarrassment for a usual proud organisation. I wouldn't like to see this strategy become successful in the long term either as it would make a mockery of the Sport IMO.

• Advertisement

So the Sixers lose again (I'm a casual NBA and Sixers fan), I know it's Cleveland, but 1-28 ffs. I honestly don't know how they get fans through the door at Wells Fargo Centre. I know what Sam Hinkie is apparently trying to do, but tbh this is an embarrassment for a usual proud organisation. I wouldn't like to see this strategy become successful in the long term either as it would make a mockery of the Sport IMO.

the colangalo and dantoni hires show the league feels the same they really need to change the draft rules just make it even odds for the top 10 teams to get the number one overall or something like that

Advertisement