Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Nice! How'd you swing that?

I'm hoping to get to the Spurs game in Oakland in jan (there with work). Wanna have a beer?

My friend does work for a guy that owns those season tickets so once or twice a year he exchanges the tickets for work. It was easily one of my most memorable experiences at a sporting event, from walking in through the player car park, tunnel, being around a bunch of famous athletes and people in the vip bar to actually being directly behind the players. I've been on field before niners games and stuff but this beats it hands down, and what a game too for atmosphere, lucked out.
    Amazing how the other 1% lives, going to be hard to go back to the upper level

I'd be down for a beer, although I promised myself and body I would drink ever again after going to the mcgregor fight in vegas, rough weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jimmy Butler: "Hoiberg needs to coach Bulls harder" - ESPN

I'm getting a bit sick of this now. Thibs was too tough, now Hoiberg is too soft. Time the players actually stepped up and took a bit of responsibility for once IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

anyone know why clipper will play so bad this season even they have all-star players and awesome bench player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Valentina Raspy Tummy

Paully D wrote: »
    Jimmy Butler: "Hoiberg needs to coach Bulls harder" - ESPN

I'm getting a bit sick of this now. Thibs was too tough, now Hoiberg is too soft. Time the players actually stepped up and took a bit of responsibility for once IMO.

in fairness i dont think butler ever complained about thibs in fact he seems like the kind of guy that would have loved thibs (ie. a high effort every game on both ends of the floor guy) he's already called out guys like rose for not putting in the effort so it makes sense that he wouldn't be fond of a laid back coach

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

in fairness i dont think butler ever complained about thibs in fact he seems like the kind of guy that would have loved thibs (ie. a high effort every game on both ends of the floor guy) he's already called out guys like rose for not putting in the effort so it makes sense that he wouldn't be fond of a laid back coach

+1.

Butler never complained about Thibs. Even after Thibs was gone there were pictures of them on social media having dinner together.

I'd imagine Butler is very grateful to Thibs for his part in making him the player he is today.

That said, not sure how this one is going to play out, calling out your coach halfway through his first season? Butler's more important to chi who's success than the coach long term, so it could get interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I think Butler has to slow down on throwing his authority around. Hes improved alot.
    Very good 2 way player but hes not done anything of any significance yet.
    I think Hoiberg needs time. I think hes done some good things Dougie McBuckets looks like a potential heir to Kyle Korver.
    D Rose has shown flashes but I can't figure out whats wrong. Has he lost a step or is just in constant fear.
    Personally I do think the roster should be blown up after this year. Noah, Pau, Rose and Gibson are just not championship calibre players at least in this set up.
    Keep Butler, Mirotic, McDermott and build around them

delph09 wrote: »
    anyone know why clipper will play so bad this season even they have all-star players and awesome bench player.

Think it's the combination of a few things.

They have talent and a good coach, yes.

Their biggest problem for me is they are mentally weak (3-1 up in the West semis last year and losing is an example), and I've have serious questions on the chemistry within.

They have some Grade A tools on that team, guys who are notorious for being shall we say less than perfect team mates.

Jordan pulled a dick move last summer. There has to have been fallout from that.

Then they sign Lance (!!!!!!) and J Smoove this summer. Now there's two clowns right there.

And the elephant in the room is Austin Rivers. I'm a big Doc Rivers fan from his Celtics days but that's just nepotism. Austin Rivers would not be an NBA player if his dad wasn't the coach. Simple as. His couple of years of bench play would have seen him cut by now by every other team. Everyone knows this.

Those things all impact on players psyche.

I don't see anyone with real character stepping up. Pierce is too old and doesn't have the legs anymore. Paul tries to do too much. Griffin while exceptionally talented isn't a leader in the old school winning sense.

They have serious problems. They need to blow it up and reset. I'd expect major trades between jab and the all star break.

brady23 wrote: »
    I think Butler has to slow down on throwing his authority around. Hes improved alot.
    Very good 2 way player but hes not done anything of any significance yet.
    I think Hoiberg needs time. I think hes done some good things Dougie McBuckets looks like a potential heir to Kyle Korver.
    D Rose has shown flashes but I can't figure out whats wrong. Has he lost a step or is just in constant fear.
    Personally I do think the roster should be blown up after this year. Noah, Pau, Rose and Gibson are just not championship calibre players at least in this set up.
    Keep Butler, Mirotic, McDermott and build around them

I think he basically has to shut up, you got to earn the respect to start throwing that stuff out, not very professional in my opinion

Anyone think that the gap between east and west has shrunk quite significantly.
    Outside the Warriors and Spurs, there is nothing between the rest of the teams, in fact 8th place in West would put you in 12th in east.
    I just feel a lot of East teams are maturing while some of the West teams are still trying to puzzle together successful teams.
    A lot of basketball left to play but the Eastern playoffs should be really competitive next year.
    I fancy Sacramento to make a push for playoffs in west, got too much talent not to.

I think he basically has to shut up, you got to earn the respect to start throwing that stuff out, not very professional in my opinion

I mean he was one of the best players in the league last year and had been the best on his team for two years

• Advertisement

Anyone think that the gap between east and west has shrunk quite significantly.
    Outside the Warriors and Spurs, there is nothing between the rest of the teams, in fact 8th place in West would put you in 12th in east.
    I just feel a lot of East teams are maturing while some of the West teams are still trying to puzzle together successful teams.
    A lot of basketball left to play but the Eastern playoffs should be really competitive next year.
    I fancy Sacramento to make a push for playoffs in west, got too much talent not to.

A team in the west could get in on a loading record what disgrace of a conference it should be the best records get in :D

I mean he was one of the best players in the league last year and had been the best on his team for two years

That's definitely a fair point, he has improved remarkably since he came into the league and that shows tremendous work ethic.
    But for me, I still ask the question, what have you achieved in your career to make these statements, you should concentrate on getting respect off your teammates off the floor rather than creating friction.
    It ain't much what he said and he may have a point but for me, it sounds like the ego has got a bit inflated, I could be 100% wrong but that's my perception

That's definitely a fair point, he has improved remarkably since he came into the league and that shows tremendous work ethic.
    But for me, I still ask the question, what have you achieved in your career to make these statements, you should concentrate on getting respect off your teammates off the floor rather than creating friction.
    It ain't much what he said and he may have a point but for me, it sounds like the ego has got a bit inflated, I could be 100% wrong but that's my perception

i agree with you to an extent but if he feels guys are not putting in the effort (and in fairness to him he always puts in 100% effort) he's probably right to call them out i just wouldn't personally to the media if i was in his shoes. the calling out the coach in public i think is stupid

He certainly is not one of the best players in the league. He's potentially the 2nd best two guard in the league and that's up for debate. I think he would struggled to be named a top 20 player in the league.

He certainly is not one of the best players in the league. He's potentially the 2nd best two guard in the league and that's up for debate. I think he would struggled to be named a top 20 player in the league.

Oh dear, this could become like the "famous" John Wall discussion on here from a few years back! ;)

Oh dear, this could become like the "famous" John Wall discussion on here from a few years back! ;)

I struggle to see how hes a top 20 player 33rd in PER, fair enough hes 12th in RPM but I wouldn't say hes one of the best players in the league currently.

I think the best players in the league are Starting All Stars, NBA 1st 2nd or 3rd team or the best player on a championship team I don't think hes a lock for any of them except probably NBA 3rd team for definite

And everyone knows which side of the fence they stood on that one...not pointing any fingers...hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

He's easily top 20. Maybe not top 10 but he could be lower end.

Butler is by far and away the Bulls' best player at the moment.

Also, I know he's down as a 2 but Butler is essentially a 3.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    He's easily top 20. Maybe not top 10 but he could be lower end.

Butler is by far and away the Bulls' best player at the moment.

Also, I know he's down as a 2 but Butler is essentially a 3.

How is he easily Top 20? I agree hes in the discussion and yeah he is the Bulls best player right now no debate. If the argument is that hes essentially a 3 then there is less of an argument for him being a Top Player in his position at least.

He ranks behind LBJ, KD, Kawhi and George and is close to Carmelo in PER and ranks behind 3 of those 4 in RPM too. If hes a 3 hes competing with Melo as the 5th best, if hes a 2 hes competing with Klay for 2nd.

The guy is arguably Top 20 but is certainly not easily a Top 20 player

And everyone knows which side of the fence they stood on that one...not pointing any fingers...hahaha

Hey, I stand by what i said then. I said he wasn't in the Top 10 PGs in the league. I stand by that. People on here were claiming he was a Top 10 player IN THE LEAGUE FFS :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:, not just a PG.

At the time I pointed in particular to a young and relatively unknown and under-appreciated player called Steph Curry as being better, and gave his stats. I was laughed out of it by certain people on here. Funny how that one worked out eh? :D

One person even claimed Wall was better than Tony Parker - this was in the 2012-13 season! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

at some stage are the league justified in fineing philly for conduct detrimental to the league i remember the spurs getting sanctioned for resting guys how are philly getting away with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

at some stage are the league justified in fineing philly for conduct detrimental to the league i remember the spurs getting sanctioned for resting guys how are philly getting away with this

As long as they keep getting away with it they will do it. I think its up to the owners of the other 29 teams to try and do something about it but they have been trying with the commis' over the past year. I think its 2017 before there can be any talks/changes in in the draft lottery

Sure Christmas tomorrow Warriors and Cavs :D Sadly the Warriors ain't 28-0 but it should be a great game last year Warriors only lost once at home to the Cavs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Happy Christmas guys!!! Enjoy the games later on!

Bulls now 5-1 against the top 4 teams in each conference and and 8-7 against teams out of the playoff spots after tonights very good win against the Thunder, according to Sam Smith.

Strange team to figure out.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls now 5-1 against the top 4 teams in each conference and and 8-7 against teams out of the playoff spots after tonights very good win against the Thunder, according to Sam Smith.

Strange team to figure out.

That is strange, but not hugely dis-similar to their form at times under Thibs. They'd regularly beat elite under him and then lose gimmes a couple of days later. On the surface that has to be psychological.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Celtics Pistons game. Never a foul there.

Curry out a couple of games as GS play 11 games in 18 days incl. 4 back to backs. Will be interesting to see where they are after that stretch. Watched the Kings game in full the other night where he had a triple double. He was scoreless for the first quarter and much of the second, then he did this......

:rolleyes:

Very, very early days but Bobby Portis looks like he could become a player in this league. He has shown nice flashes in his limited time so far.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, Warriors looked awfully average without Curry last night and not surprisingly lost. JJ Barea seems to be playing well at the moment from the limited times I've seen Dallas highlights or games lately.

Jimmy Butler with a slightly weird/unusual game winner last night (worth looking at). Indiana ran pretty much the same play to counter and Butler seemed to foul Paul George but no call.....ah NBA refs! :rolleyes:

Advertisement