Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Newb question: Is this a good deal??

• 27-10-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So I'm finally getting around to getting my first bike. The problem is I know next to nothing about bikes and was hoping if someone out there could let me know if they think this is a good deal:

A 2012 Ninja 250 for 3,000 euro with 20,000 km. Ad also says 'new tires, oils and filters'. I don't know what 'new oils' means. I presume he just changed the oil recently??

So my main question/concern is whether or not 20,000 km is a lot for a Ninja 250 - especially since it's only a 2012??

If anyone has any advice before I go and check it out I would much appreciate it!

Is 3,000 euro a good deal? He said that's the absolute lowest he will go.

Thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

What age are you? The issue with a Ninja 250 is the3 power of it. You cannot sit the full test on the bike as its not poweful enough.

If you are very young and starting out then your insurance on the Ninja could be mad. Have you done any online quotes with details and use the ninja as the bike to get an idea of insurance on it?

20,000km isnt much. Bike could of been used for commuting.
    Your more so looking for condition of the bike and service history.

Also, link the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JamesBL

Thanks here's the ad:

donedeal.ie

/motorbikes-for-sale/kawasaki-ninja-250r/10542314

(take the space out after '.ie'). Boards won't let me post links because I'm a new user.

I got an insurance quote for 600 euro (fully comprehensive) which I was v happy with. It's because I've stacked up a lot of no claims bonuses on my car insurance and the company was happy to move that over to the bike. I'm 27. I'm thinking that I'll practice on the Ninja 250 for a few months and sit my test on a 600. I have a category A learner permit. I can rent/borrow the 600 from a few different places so I'm not too concerned about that.

I've heard that the life of a Ninja 250 engine isn't that long. I read somewhere that after 80,000 km the engine starts to get dodgy (on average).

Anyway if you could have a look at the ad and let me know what you think that would be great. I'm possibly going to get the bike on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

He doesn't say if he is the first owner or not.

Very important question for me, especially in such a newish bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id say its good enough value for money, i bought a 2009 one for 2700 in January 2014 and sold it in in March 2015 for 2500, it had better tyres than when i bought it but i sold it within a few days, i probably could have gotten a bit more..

Its a cool bike, fun and quick enough starting off around town etc. Several cons though, doing the test on a bike you are not familiar with sucks. It has no power at 100+ kmph and i found it blew all over the place in the wind. When i got my second bike i couldnt believe how much more confident i felt on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Don't get confused with your insurance company giving you a discount because you have a car policy with them and thinking they applied your full car NCB to a bike policy. They deffo didnt apply your NCB to the bike policy, no insurance company will do that. At the end of the year insurance they would have to issue you a NCB cert and that could not say you have multiple years NCB on the bike policy as you dont. Car and Bike NCB are built up separately.

Did you have to do IBT recently or have you had the licence a few years so dont need to do it? As you are over 24 you can do direct access with some extra modules and get any bike you want.

I find it kinda strange that you actually go for something like a Ninja 250 when you have loads of choices. The ninja will be grand for pottering around town but if you hit the open road its going to be poxy. Bashed around by the wind, struggling at speed, no overtaking power etc...

But again, if your driving is just city driving its probs gonna be fine for about 3 months until your bored of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Re the using the no claims from your car, get that in writing because I've never heard of that before. Is it a new thing to reduce the cost for new bikers?

Normally you need to build up your own ncb for the bike for good reason as it's a totally different kettle of fish to a car.

Re the bike, make sure you get someone to check it out regardless of mileage.

Have you also tried a 250 for size? If you're anyway tall or on the larger side, you will be cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id say they are more capable than people giving them credit for, if you are going to be on big roads the whole time then they are not the best but i certainly didnt get bored of mine within a few months, this video is one of the things that made me go for one instead of something like an sv650.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

Advertisement