Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Class of '92: Out of Their League. - BBC1, Thursday 29th Oct. @9pm.

• 27-10-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Story of Manchester United’s "Class of ‘92" (Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville) that bought Salford City, 7 tiers down from the Premier League with a dream of taking it to the top.

First of a 2-parter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As a United fan I probably get more exposed to it then others, but is nobody else sick of the class of 92 ****e yet?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's nearly as bad as that aul "bootroom boys" shíte that used to follow Liverpool around like a bad smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Story of Manchester United’s "Class of ‘92" (Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary and Phil Neville) that bought Salford City, 7 tiers down from the Premier League with a dream of taking it to the top.

First of a 2-parter.

With the rising popularity of FC United and the established Manchester United how are Giggs and the boys going to attract new fans to Salford Fc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Football clubs, property, the class of 91/92 are becoming right little moguls

Bump, did anyone else watch this.

Interesting for the culture clash, the Class of 92 all "pointy elbows" and dubious ambition as far as some of the locals (including club volunteers) are concerned and they themelves realise its not all straightforward. The idea of Gary Nev asking if a couple of the ex star players would tog out for a home game to boost the gate was rather misguided I have to say. Sacking Mike Basset was a wise move by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, I thought it was a good show.

That manager was terrible. Running and 5-a-side for training? You'd see more imaginative training in a primary school PE class.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

i enjoyed it,altho its a year behind .SCFC made the cup this year so progress was made, roll on 2030 when they pip Man U FOR 4TH spot behind FC MAN,AFC WIMBLEDON and ACCRINGTON STANLEY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

i enjoyed it,altho its a year behind .SCFC made the cup this year so progress was made, roll on 2030 when they pip Man U FOR 4TH spot behind FC MAN,AFC WIMBLEDON and ACCRINGTON STANLEY

Yep and it's on BBC next Friday night so we have 2 episodes to get to 'know' the team then we can watch live on TV.

Not a Man U fan but I really enjoyed this and think it has potential depending on how long it goes for - presume entire season?

Good move from the lads to get BBC to make a documentary of their club, they just could not buy that kind of national publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

As a United fan I probably get more exposed to it then others, but is nobody else sick of the class of 92 ****e yet?
    As a fan of the noisy neighbours, I wholeheartedly concur with you. Time to move on fellas. I could sort of understand it if it was a landmark anniversary year of that side (10 yrs, 15, 20, 25; that sort of thing). But it's 23 years, unless my maths skills have gone totally tits up. A strange figure to celebrate with the film earlier in the year and now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

As a fan of lfc I was put off watching this last night as I thought it was another **** feast of how great the class of 92 were. But just watched it there and was pleasantly surprised it's about them buying a non league football club. An enjoyable watch I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

ricero wrote: »
    As a fan of lfc I was put off watching this last night as I thought it was another **** feast of how great the class of 92 were. But just watched it there and was pleasantly surprised it's about them buying a non league football club. An enjoyable watch I must say.
    Same here; I caught the last 20 minutes of it, and was pleasantly surprised by it. Very enjoyable, considering!

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Decent show .The ex utd lads are a down to earth bunch of lads it must be said. Considering all the money and fame they have I get the impression it hasn't changed them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Part 2 of this tonight and a new management team is brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I had forgotten this thank your boardsie.

Had to laugh when the managers went ballistic about sideways passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Saw it last week but not able to tonight,is it a good watch this week too?

Was brilliant again tonight really good and well done, it was bit of master stroke with the timing of it and the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night after watching that,

Was a bit Roy of the Rovers at times...in a good way.

The end reminded me of listening to Villa-Oldham in '93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

The part where they are in the indoor astro and are reaĺy impressed by the lad released by City was funny. They couldn't get their heads around the fact that this lad could not get into Salford team yet they were recommending United to give him a trial !. He is now playing for under 21' side . Was funny when they met to discuss whether they should interfere and get the managers to pick this lad. .... Phil neville thought he was class.... Was a good look , really enjoyed it......even had a happy ending.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    The part where they are in the indoor astro and are reaĺy impressed by the lad released by City was funny. They couldn't get their heads around the fact that this lad could not get into Salford team yet they were recommending United to give him a trial !. He is now playing for under 21' side . Was funny when they met to discuss whether they should interfere and get the managers to pick this lad. .... Phil neville thought he was class.... Was a good look , really enjoyed it......even had a happy ending.

Scholes, succinct as ever: "Why the f**k did we buy a football club if we can't talk about the football?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I really, really hate the fact that I enjoyed it and the lads seem like sound individuals. Very disappointed in myself

I really, really hate the fact that I enjoyed it and the lads seem like sound individuals. Very disappointed in myself

I can see where it would annoy some fans, even scholes i cant stand as a pundit but i loved him in this and im a united fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find it a bit awkward that Gary Neville is talking at the end about how the community spirit is and everybody standing around at a game having a pint etc. His general goal is to get them into the football league, thus pretty much wanting to take away all the things that people love about the club.

I find the whole thing a bit awkward and I am sure the true feelings of the people around the club are being limited for the TV Cameras.

This is plainly a small community club with a large social aspect. It's not like a lower league English club or a LOI club which are there to whip up money and try and win things.

I don't really like what they are doing. This is a genuine community club. Not a Community for Corporate Social Responsibility or we love the community, now give us your money.

For anyone that is interested they won 2_0 against notts county in the fa cup tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

jayo26 wrote: »
    For anyone that is interested they won 2_0 against notts county in the fa cup tonight.

Not a bad game to watch, good goals ( especially the second), goal line clearance, fantastic heart. definitely well worth the watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

It was probably more exciting than what wer going to see against Brom tomorrow. Some great hard tackles made throughout the game, none if them reckless at all, bit like the older days but sadly the refs have taken that away from the premiership

this seemed the best place for this story

Scholes has been charged with with regard to placing bets while involved with Salford FC

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/16/paul-scholes-charged-fa-bets-football
    The former Manchester United and England midfielder is alleged to have placed the bets, in contravention of FA rules, between 17 August 2015 and 12 January 2019.

He took the Oldham manager’s job in February 2019 but quit after 31 days in charge. He has until 26 April 2019 to respond to the charge.

Scholes has had a shareholding in Salford City since 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Only reason to be excited about this is if there’s a chance it might lead to him getting the sack as a pundit as he’s insufferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Quite a major stain on his reputation and character if true. Why the fûck with all he has going for him in term of success, reputation and you’d have to feel wealth too, would he get involved in that stuff ? Boredom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not been a good day for Scholes and now Butt arrested on suspicion of assaulting his wife

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/772624/man-utd-news-nicky-butt-arrest-assault-hale-manchester-broadway-wife-Shelley-Barlow

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Strumms wrote: »
    Quite a major stain on his reputation and character if true. Why the fûck with all he has going for him in term of success, reputation and you’d have to feel wealth too, would he get involved in that stuff ? Boredom ?

A major stain? Over reaction much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The cognitive dissonance is palpable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They've won their playoff today, into the football league now.
    4th promotion in five seasons since those lads got involved.

Advertisement