Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing and Gaming Rig

Options
  • 27-10-2015 9:27pm

I'm looking to build a 1080p gaming rig that can also be used for moderate video editing.

I'm thinking of an "Intel i5 4690k" for the CPU and an "Azrock Z97 MATX" for the mobo.

For the GPU im torn between the "Gigabyte G1 Gaming 960(4gb model)" and the 970. I really don't know which to get.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any replies in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's your budget? Big difference between them, I'd take the 970 if you could

What's your budget? Big difference between them, I'd take the 970 if you could

Preferably trying to keep the total build under €750

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

€750 is doable. Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse? Windows copy?
    Also, is your video editing OpenCL or is it Mercury based? If it's OpenCL, I might reccommend the AMD R9 380/285 or the 290/390 cards. If it's Mercury or CUDA orientated, then your only choice is nVidia (although CUDA has fallen short in popularity over the past few years)

If your budget is €750I can recommend:
    Core i5 4460
    MSI Z97 PC-Mate
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    AMD R9 380 4GB/nVidia GTX 960 4GB
    Corsair CX 600W
    Case of your choice

Eoins the right call there, you'd fit an SSD too

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    €750 is doable. Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse? Windows copy?
    Also, is your video editing OpenCL or is it Mercury based? If it's OpenCL, I might reccommend the AMD R9 380/285 or the 290/390 cards. If it's Mercury or CUDA orientated, then your only choice is nVidia (although CUDA has fallen short in popularity over the past few years)

If your budget is €750I can recommend:
    Core i5 4460
    MSI Z97 PC-Mate
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    AMD R9 380 4GB/nVidia GTX 960 4GB
    Corsair CX 600W
    Case of your choice

I don't need a monitor or any peripherals or a copy of Windows. I think the editing is Mercury/Cuda based. If I could would the 4690 be a better CPU option or is the 4460 good enough ?

• Advertisement

Xeon 1231v3 would be better than either i5

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Don't need a z series board for any of those cpus.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

It seems AMD's Quantum drivers last year added support for CUDA rendering...how?
    I only chose the Z97 as it offers good storage options and was cheap. That and the PC Mate has a very beginner friendly layout and instructions manual.

Advertisement