Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand for a month

• 27-10-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭

My Brother and I are contemplating a month away somewhere. Thinking bangkok as it seems crazy. We are 24 and 23. I love history and sightseeing so I'll be doing a lot of that and my brother will tag along but the main thing is nightlife. Partying, clubs, bars, them muai Thai fights seem like a crazy experience(watching only lol)we want to basically just LIVE in a foreign city for a month. So we would like a basic apartment and would be eating like we do here as in a bit of fast food and stuff.

How much do you think would be needed excluding flights? I'm thinking €3000 each? We honestly don't plan on having elaborate meals etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Depends on how you eat and drink.

Example:

Local Singha beer costs €2, a cocktail costs €6

Local stir fry costs €2, a steak dinner is €10

And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My Brother and I are contemplating a month away somewhere. Thinking bangkok as it seems crazy. We are 24 and 23. I love history and sightseeing so I'll be doing a lot of that and my brother will tag along but the main thing is nightlife. Partying, clubs, bars, them muai Thai fights seem like a crazy experience(watching only lol)we want to basically just LIVE in a foreign city for a month. So we would like a basic apartment and would be eating like we do here as in a bit of fast food and stuff.

How much do you think would be needed excluding flights? I'm thinking €3000 each? We honestly don't plan on having elaborate meals etc.

3000 is plenty, as long as you take advantage of the cheap food available. Don't go spending 400 or 500 baht in a restaurant every night (this is easy to do). There's plenty of cheap local places and plenty of amazing (and cheap) street food. Same for other little things like taking taxi's everywhere, going to starbucks every morning etc. It all adds up. You know yourself, just set yourself a budget for these kind of things

If you truly plan on spending the whole month in Bangkok I would advise you to rent a condo/apartment for a month, stay away from hotels. Any half decent (not a dump) hotel will cost you 1000 baht a night (and up). So for a month that's a lot of money. You can rent a nice condo for a month for 10-15,000 (or half that if you're not fussy). You may have to pay a security deposit on that but you get it back. When I rented a nice apartment for a month I used thaiapartment.com.

As for where to stay, if you want the whole clubs, party, drinking experience stay on either Sukhumvit road (the low numbered soi's) or Khao San Road. The main difference is age group. Khao San tends to be full of younger people (backpackers etc), Sukhumvit tend to be a bit older (but more mixed). I prefer Sukhumvit. You can always travel between the 2 on any given night (about 100 baht taxi depending on traffic). If you want 'ahem' women, then Sukhumvit is the place to go (particularly soi 4, soi 7 alley, soi cowboy).

Some tips:

- Take the BTS or metro as much as you can, cheaper than taxis.
    - Make sure taxi guy turns on the meter.
    - Don't go near Tuk Tuk drivers. They might offer you a tour for an hour at a cheap price (100 baht) but will end up bringing you to suit shops and other places where they get commission. I hate them with a passion.
    - If you're on Sukhumvit eat at the food court on soi 5, cheap and good. Also the outdoor bbq place across the road is good at night...bbq skewer, chips and salad for 80 baht.
    - Try not to bring too much money out with you.
    - Buy some beer in 7/11 and drink in hotel before you go out...50 baht for large bottle compared to 100 (or more) in restaurants, clubs, bars.

Can't think of anything else right now, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Thanks for the help guys especially the last comment.

I stayed in a hostel in Poland last week and met backpackers from all over the world. This is why I have such an itch to experience a different life for a few weeks instead of a week or two in magaluf like I'm my usual holidays are.

I seen tuktuk drivers are to be avoided on other sites too and a taxi is the better option.

My brother isn't as interested in doing it as I am so it's just a dream for the time being.

Ill report back f he gives the go ahead anyway so I can map out the whole month. God it would be such an experience but I wouldn't be as into traveling alone as with a partner.

Thanks again all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Tuk Tuk's are part of the whole Thai experience,the other poster just said they might offer you a tour,just tell them where you want to go and agree on a price,you cant stay in Bangkok for a month and not get a Tuk Tuk :)

Tuk Tuk's are part of the whole Thai experience,the other poster just said they might offer you a tour,just tell them where you want to go and agree on a price,you cant stay in Bangkok for a month and not get a Tuk Tuk :)

I agree. You just need to be firm with them. Also divide every offer they make by two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Yeah true, they are not all bad! The problem I have is that the number of legit Tuk Tuk drivers pale in comparison to the ones whose sole purpose is to get as much money out of you as possible. So for that reason I tend to just avoid them completely. Many times I've asked them to bring me relatively short distances and they have quote me ridiculous prices...trying to bargain doesn't even work.

Examples:
    - 400 baht from Sukhumvit soi 13 to Khao San road. Would not budge on the price. Go f**k yourself.
    - 180 baht from Sukhumvit soi 8 to a street beside Asoke BTS. Again, no leeway on the price. And again, go f**k yourself. Less than 10 minutes drive for Christ sake.
    - 100 baht for an hours tour of Bangkok...sure sounds great. End up all manner of places where the driver gets commission.

I've got plenty more examples including me and people I know.

There ARE some genuine tuk tuk drivers, but most of them are not worth the hassle. For this reason I just don't bother with them anymore. Don't get me wrong, if you find an honest driver it's the nicest way to see Bangkok. Just too many dickheads for me to even consider going near one again.

Taxi drivers can be just as bad. I've lived in Bangkok, and still had taxi drivers take the 'scenic route' to bump up the price. Had many an argument with taxi drivers. But in saying that 95% of taxi's are grand.

Another tip, if anyone walks up to you on the street and asks if you need a taxi tell them to do one...just flag one on the street yourself.

http://www.contiki.com/destinations/asia/tours/221-asian-adventure

what do you guys think of that tour? i imagine expenses during them 2 weeks would be a fraction of what im used to spending for similar things in dublin..

http://www.contiki.com/destinations/asia/tours/221-asian-adventure

what do you guys think of that tour? i imagine expenses during them 2 weeks would be a fraction of what im used to spending for similar things in dublin..

Two weeks is far too short for that trip. You'll spend half your time on planes, trains, buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Lived there for 6 weeks about 10 years ago... quality city.

Eat on the streets and as suggested, get taxis. Take a tuk tuk once or twice and then metered Air Con taxis after that. If you stay close to Siam square join the swimming pool there - it's a 50m outdoor one. The Food Hall in the MBK centre is amazing.

I stayed in The White Lodge near Siam Sq. and while basic, was close to all of the above. Was a nice community feel in the area.

If you eat in the same place they get to know you quickly. The salads in the Sizzlers in the Siam Centre were all you can eat - nice break from street food.

Maybe check out Ko San Road the first day or so but try not to get trapped there where you'll just be partying with westeners.

That budget would go very far...

Saipanne wrote: »
    Two weeks is far too short for that trip. You'll spend half your time on planes, trains, buses.

i suppose so. but i plan on spending the rest of the month doing my own thing in hostels..

• Advertisement

i suppose so. but i plan on spending the rest of the month doing my own thing in hostels..

In my opinion, you don't need a tour. Don't be daunted by Thailand, arranging transportation around the country (and neighbouring countries) is simply a case of walking into one of the MANY travel agents and saying where you want to go. You'll be picked up from your hotel and dropped anywhere you want to go. The place is custom designed for traveling tourism.

In my opinion, you don't need a tour. Don't be daunted by Thailand, arranging transportation around the country (and neighbouring countries) is simply a case of walking into one of the MANY travel agents and saying where you want to go. You'll be picked up from your hotel and dropped anywhere you want to go. The place is custom designed for traveling tourism.
    I get you but it would be a social thing too as you would be with the Same people for 2 weeks.

I get you but it would be a social thing too as you would be with the Same people for 2 weeks.

Yeah, but there's loads of tours there with people to meet for much cheaper. Maybe try research that and mull it over.

Look up cooking classes, elephant tours, muay Thai day training, etc.

I reckon trip advisor might have a list of tours, all ranked.

Yeah, but there's loads of tours there with people to meet for much cheaper. Maybe try research that and mull it over.

Look up cooking classes, elephant tours, muay Thai day training, etc.

I reckon trip advisor might have a list of tours, all ranked.

I will look it up. Could be handy to save some good deal on cash

i cant find any cheap appartments available that arent 1 year contracts. i seen on other thread that they can be gotten for a month for like 200 euro. what area whould i be looking at? want to stay close to the party scene.

How long in advance should I book the flights and appartment?

Can't find a cheap appartment that doesn't require 1 year rent in advance. Would need to for 3-4 weeks

Advertisement