Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android tablets - a bit meh?

• 27-10-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

Got my first Android tablet (a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 - so quite high spec) recently after several years of using iPads. I've used Android phones for years so thought it would be best to have everything in the same ecosystem, and for a phone I would choose Android over iOS any day of the week).

I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed. It seems that the choice of apps is nowhere near that of the iPad and most seem like stretched versions of mobile apps (even regular ones like Facebook or my banking apps), and even the browser (I'm using Chrome and can't really change as I have a few work pages which struggle with other browsers) gives all pages in mobile version, on a 10.5 inch screen.

Is there anything I can do to improve the experience, or am I missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Sadly, Tablets on Android have taken a back seat because phones out-sell them by a long shot. In terms of getting mobile sites, all tablets are considered 'mobiles' so the pages loaded won't be as intensive.
    In terms of apps being stretched, that's the issue with tablet androids, I can't find any apps that operate nicely at the tablet's native resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

For chrome you can push the settings button (3 vertical dots, top right) and click the option to 'request desktop site'.

You might have to do that every time you visit the page as some websites don't like to play ball.

Re apps, sometimes there will be amazon and Amazon for tablets. So might be worth looking through the play store to see if that option happened.

For Facebook, if you turn the tablet to landscape you should have more use of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Bank of Ireland and aib both have 'for tablet' options I think. BoI certainly does, but works in landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

Try the dolphin browser it's better than chrome! As for app wise third party apps or stores have better selection. Try vshare, or if your a live TV or footie fan get mobdro. If you go to YouTube there's plenty of videos to enhance your experience but it's the same old android verses ios people have their preference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Use it in portrait mode not landscape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

or am I missing anything?

The option to get Chome to request the non mobile site.

Advertisement