Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Thinking of becoming a teacher' thread/sticky/forum/discussion thing

Options
  • 27-10-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

spurious wrote: »
    There used to be (still is?) a limit on how many Business graduates were allowed do teacher training, there were so many trying to get into teaching. It would be way down the list of subjects in any sort of demand.

Sorry to go off topic but Spurious do you think it would be a good idea to Sticky 'How to become a teacher' and the routes involved as more and more people are using this site for that information i.e. just in the past two days there have been three threads on how to become a business / maths and just a teacher thread - it would save others posting and searching. (Just my opinion, sorry for going off topic / not using PM). Also the thread sometime last year with the reasons why not to be a teacher might be integrated / linked to it as it may put off the people who think teaching is an easy career to get into / work in.

Edit: Suppose I'll split this off as yissr all off-topic :)
    MOD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Sorry to go off topic but Spurious do you think it would be a good idea to Sticky 'How to become a teacher' and the routes involved as more and more people are using this site for that information i.e. just in the past two days there have been three threads on how to become a business / maths and just a teacher thread - it would save others posting and searching. (Just my opinion, sorry for going off topic / not using PM). Also the thread sometime last year with the reasons why not to be a teacher might be integrated / linked to it as it may put off the people who think teaching is an easy career to get into / work in.
    I don't disagree in theory but there are already five threads permanently stickied as it is. Maybe they should just be added to the links in the charter thread, along with links to threads related to FAQs (like this one)? Otherwise we'll just end up with the whole page covered in stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

RealJohn wrote: »
    I don't disagree in theory but there are already five threads permanently stickied as it is. Maybe they should just be added to the links in the charter thread, along with links to threads related to FAQs (like this one)? Otherwise we'll just end up with the whole page covered in stickies.

If it was up to me I would remove the History of Education exam sticky - how many people will this effect in the running of things? I know quite a number of people train in the UK but the exam only takes place twice per year and is easily searchable. I'm still surprised so many people still want to become teachers with the state of things. I suppose they will keep the Teaching colleges in business :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know 'on high' do not like loads of stickies. We shall have a huddle and possibly re-organise some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just from my perspective anyhow it wouldn't be too much work to compile a 'looking to get into teaching' thread (if folk are willing to PM me the links). But then again would we go subject specific? I think each person's post is nuanced enough (if you take the last bloke who wanted to get into maths teaching late in life), so to just refer them back to a previous thread might stiffle discussion (if only a little). Maybe it just comes down to 'use the search function', although that can be a bit clunky at times too. Those are my thoughts anyhow.
    The thread about 'looking for history of Ed. essay' is kind of handy as it saves us all time, but I see what spurious means about too many stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Just from my perspective anyhow it wouldn't be too much work to compile a 'looking to get into teaching' thread (if folk are willing to PM me the links). But then again would we go subject specific? I think each person's post is nuanced enough (if you take the last bloke who wanted to get into maths teaching late in life), so to just refer them back to a previous thread might stiffle discussion (if only a little). Maybe it just comes down to 'use the search function', although that can be a bit clunky at times too. Those are my thoughts anyhow !

Well I think all that is needed is a link to the Teaching Council registration file - everyone can see what the requirements are and anything other than that has to be assessed by the TC who will have the final say and as they told me and other posters 'If your degree is not on our recognised list of courses it has to be assessed for a fee'.

That file is here: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/How-do-I-register-/Post-primary-Options-Ireland/Option-A/Post-Primary-Teachers-Applying-for-Registration-on-or-Before-31-December-2016.html

Routes to training i.e. NUIs / Trinity /Hibernian

The concurrent courses could also get a mention.

After all this, posters could describe their journey to becoming a teacher and from what angle i.e. what undergraduate degree they studied and what they had to do. It will just save the regular posters who answer those posts for information - I know I've answered a few to date and if there was a sticky people could read the links and then ask the questions.

Oh and that thread started last year informing/warning people what teaching is really like. I will do a search and add link later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement