Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well taken goal by OG.

Lads Bayern are on fire tonight it was never going to be easy but they have come out with a point to prove and with an unsettled defence tonight it was never going to be easy, We're better off out of the champions league with the squad the way it is at the moment aswell

Obviously players can step in and deputise for injurys just not a load at once it unbalances the team its not the end of the world jesus relax

Im not sure they are on fire. To me they haven't been made to work for it. Its come all too easy. They've won easily in 3rd gear tbh. We've been disinterested and septic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Against the top teams if you tackle you have to commit to a tackle. No point faking a tackle just to get the opponent to do something .
    You have to tackle so fast, hard and committed that even if he gets the ball past you, your so close to him it slows him down going for the triangle return.

If one player is tackling at speed and pace, the other players around him need todo that too. No point only one player tackling with intensity if the rest of the players in the 5 yard circle around him arent pressing hard.

Playing a defensive 2 banks of 4 against the top teams and hoping they wont score genereally only works if those players are phycically intimidating.

Against the top teams , teams with a high workrate and press hard, you will not be able to work the ball out easily from defense. No point in even trying.
    It might be your style, but abandon it. For kickouts, or when the goalie gets the ball in play, just play route one, get some players forward, get the ball in opponents 1/3 and hope for a break or at least force them to start from there.

Arsenal .. too posh to press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Against the top teams if you tackle you have to commit to a tackle. No point faking a tackle just to get the opponent to do something .
    You have to tackle so fast, hard and committed that even if he gets the ball past you, your so close to him it slows him down going for the triangle return.

If one player is tackling at speed and pace, the other players around him need todo that too. No point only one player tackling with intensity if the rest of the players in the 5 yard circle around him arent pressing hard.

Playing a defensive 2 banks of 4 against the top teams and hoping they wont score genereally only works if those players are phycically intimidating.

Against the top teams , teams with a high workrate and press hard, you will not be able to work the ball out easily from defense. No point in even trying.
    It might be your style, but abandon it. For kickouts, or when the goalie gets the ball in play, just play route one, get some players forward, get the ball in opponents 1/3 and hope for a break or at least force them to start from there.

Arsenal .. too posh to press.

well in fairness, we pressed them quite successfully in the previous game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

In fairness our fans are making abit of noise out there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well in fairness, we pressed them quite successfully in the previous game.

That's the prob, consistency, or lack of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bellerin, Koscielny, Arteta, Oxlaide chamberlain, Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, Ospina etc

Take that many players out of any squad in europe Real, Barca , Juventus, City any of them and they would all be battered just like this against a full strength Bayern Munich

It seems in this thread there's a quitness when we're winning and now i know why people are busy gnashing there teeth and sharpening there knives for when we do eventually not win a game , just think again for a second we've lost once in the premiership since the west ham game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

wonga77 wrote: »
    In fairness our fans are making abit of noise out there tonight

Our away fans are excellent

Excellent covering by debuchy there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We beat these 2 weeks ago.

I think people are been harsh on the team tonight.

Olympiakos 1-1. If they win its curtains for this year. Curtains as it is tbh.

Iwobi in, what a time to make your debut!

Andip wrote: »
    That's the prob, consistency, or lack of

for years now.

Anyway, I don't mind that this happened in this game, rather this one than a league game.

Now back to the league and 3 points on Sunday.
    The international break couldn't come at a better time.

We have the fittest physio in the league :pac:

Wére better off out of this anyway I reckon , Fair enough if we were qualified with 2 games to go but now We've to kill ourselves to win two more games and we still might not qualify I'd rather we concentrated on our title challenge now

• Advertisement

Bellerin, Koscielny, Arteta, Oxlaide chamberlain, Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, Ospina etc

Take that many players out of any squad in europe Real, Barca , Juventus, City any of them and they would all be battered just like this against a full strength Bayern Munich

It seems in this thread there's a quitness when we're winning and now i know why people are busy gnashing there teeth and sharpening there knives for when we do eventually not win a game , just think again for a second we've lost once in the premiership since the west ham game

We have Gabriel who's meant to be our next hope at CB and Debuchy who was first choice a few months ago. Other than that we have one other position without our 1st choice player. We're missing back-up but we've 8/11 first XI out there with direct back-ups fir 2 pt them. The team out there shouldn't be getting mauled like this.

Olympiakos 1-1. If they win its curtains for this year. Curtains as it is tbh.

I think mathematically there is still a chance, but I get what you mean

Wére better off out of this anyway I reckon , Fair enough if we were qualified with 2 games to go but now We've to kill ourselves to win two more games and we still might not qualify I'd rather we concentrated on our title challenge now

Europa awaits and stupid Thursday games which means Sunday league matches. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Very poor tonight. All I will say is that against Bayern/Barca/Madrid you need your best players to be at their very best to stay in the game.

Gabriel is arguably culpable for the first. You would need Kos on the pitch at his best to cut that out. For the second I think Debuchy needs to be better with his touch. Can't blame Mert for it too much.

Of course you need players to come in and do a job but against the likes of the top top teams you need no mistakes and ride your luck a little and stay in the game like two weeks ago.

Gabriel. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

3 of those are nailed on starting 11. Yes it's bad but this happens every single season so surely to Christ we should have replacements who can come on and die in their boots (that's for efb!) and make an impression.

I appreciate its Bayern but if we want to dine at the top table these are the opportunities we should relish.

5-1. Worst ever CL defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ozil was at fault for that goal. A brilliant ball was played into him at the edge of their box and he just turned his back to it because he had already given up. I don't normally criticize Ozil because of all the good he gives the team, but he deserves to be called out over that.

That bayern goal typifies us tonight, ozil turns his arse to it and bayern go down and score.
    Will take a very good team to beat munich in the knockout stages

New record for Wenger tonight.

New record for Wenger tonight.

Not really a record tbf

Were out?

Olympics winning.

Take Joel Campbell for instance he's bloody 3rd choice Gabriel is Per's replacement not Kos's but yes i agree he should be good enough to step in

Debuchy i'll give a little more slack because he's had hardly any game time this season and then to have to come in against Douglas Costa is a massive ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Were out?

Olympics winning.

They won. Scored in the last minute.

Disaster.

Olympiakos last minute winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Were out?

Olympics winning.

Nope, we have to hope Bayern beat them at home (which will happen) and we beat them by 2 goals at their place, which is possible. So no not yet.

We have to beat Zagreb firstly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

omega man wrote: »
    Olympiakos last minute winner.

Might be a blessing in disguise for Arsenal.

We should beat both of those sides in the last 2 games and you can bet Bayern will rattle both of them aswell

Now to finish 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stupid post comeing in, but how are Arsenal out? If they win their last two games and Olhypiacos lsoe there's, doens;;t it do down to head-to-head? Better the result olympiakos beat you in and you're clear, no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Game over Man, game over

Olympiakos away will be a very tough game, especially if we're going out there without our strongest team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The night couldn't have gone any worse. Damn you Olympiakos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Better second half performance, but Bayern did take the foot off the pedal. They are something else at home.

Ozil, Giroud and Cech can hold their heads high. Coq gave it a go too.

But without Kos in the back we look a totally different team. I hope this doesn't knock their confidence going into the NLD this Sunday, that's my big worry. I also hope Bellerin and Kos are back cause if not we're in trouble.

I can't wait for the International break so we can get back Theo, Ox and Ramsey. We are looking very thread bare right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Couldn't be arsed with Europa league tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Two '90 goals for Olympiacos against Zagreb. They could have easily drew twice, bringing us into a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Groundhog Day only a round earlier than normal.

It would be nice to go just one season without getting a complete humping from someone.

We're out. If we even try it'll only get worse with Europa league qualification, no thanks.

Only one thing matters now and that's to smash the spuds. Nothing else will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Embarrassing. No excuse, I don't care if we're plagued with injuries the majority of our players did not want to be there from the get go. I could single people out but with the exception of maybe Coq, Campbell & Alexis nobody else gave a sh*t. Turning your back on a fluffed shot (so it comes off your out stretched knee) should be a shootable offence. Pathetic...Don't even think a win against our pals on the weekend can make up for it

Embarrassing. No excuse, I don't care if we're plagued with injuries the majority of our players did not want to be there from the get go. I could single people out but with the exception of maybe Coq, Campbell & Alexis nobody else gave a sh*t. Turning your back on a fluffed shot (so it comes off your out stretched knee) should be a shootable offence. Pathetic...Don't even think a win against our pals on the weekend can make up for it

Not Per's first time turning his back either. Scandalous.

I think being out of this early will help our EPL chances thb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Mert does that every game, nothing new there.

I thought Alexis was poor enough tonight. He hasn't found top gear in the last couple of games. Giroud, Ozil, Campbell, Cech, Monreal and Coquelin were grand tonight. It seemed that they had a game plan to see if they could score early on, and, if they conceded, they would just give it up and save some energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I agree with a lot of your points, but our league form for me is making up for this disastrous champions league Campaign. If we continue going well in the league then I'm happy. I still want to get through to the next phase but really don't want Europa league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Spurs on Sunday, this result won't bother me one bit once we get the win there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Not Per's first time turning his back either. Scandalous.

I think being out of this early will help our EPL chances thb.

And he is our captain :mad: Not if we put in a defensive performance like that. It was school boy stuff, turn your back on the ball, keep backing away from the attacking player and don't ever put in a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

omega man wrote: »
    We're out. If we even try it'll only get worse with Europa league qualification, no thanks.

Only one thing matters now and that's to smash the spuds. Nothing else will do.

Planning to go out and lose games is ridiculous. We still have a decent change to go through. Get a result at the weekend , get a few players back after the break and things will be looking a lot better

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement