Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus Christ eamon says if John Terry was out there tonight he would have hurt somebody and it wouldn't have happend.

And now ozil typifies whats wrong with arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Awful night but the pundrity on RTE is full of cliched lazy analysis.

Blame Ozil/Wenger is the name of the game for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

What's with the defeatist attitude, we can beat Zagreb and the Greek lot. They ain't Bayern we are talking about. Most teams going to Bayern would get a whipping even better sides then us. Remember we beat them two weeks ago, let's not forget that.

Nothing is over with yet. Lets stop acting like it is and throwing the towel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Spurs on Sunday, this result won't bother me one bit once we get the win there

I hear you but surely a result like tonight gets into the players minds. We've a bit of a bad habit of getting mauled in some big games which still worries me a lot.

Dunphy talking shīt. Sticking the boot into us is one thing but holding Terry and Chelsea up as an example is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Best to try and put this one to bed im afraid, Kos and Bellerin were huge losses but we still had a good team out there tonight, despite what some here seem to think, 8 of tonights starting team started at the emirates 2 weeks ago. Losing Kos was always going to be tough but I thought Gabriel was a very good backup option, Bellerins pace against Costa was missed. Swapping Giroud for Walcott wasnt a major difference although Walcotts pace did cause problems (even if his shooting didnt). You would swear we had a team of Sanogo's out there tonight
    Hard to believe that there could be such a difference in displays, even taking Bayerns excellent home record into account.
    I said it earlier but if we are to go out at this stage then id much prefer we miss out on thursday night football and concentrate on the league

I just hope the players put tonight behind them and move on as we have a huge game the weekend, hopefully a few faces back too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

shano_88 wrote: »
    Awful night but the pundrity on RTE is full of cliched lazy analysis.

Blame Ozil/Wenger is the name of the game for them.

Whelan definitely takes the prize for being one of the worst commentators to ever grace football with his presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

omega man wrote: »
    I hear you but surely a result like tonight gets into the players minds. We've a bit of a bad habit of getting mauled in some big games which still worries me a lot.

Don't look like the players were bothered with this game, so I expect a a response on Sunday

Whelan definitely takes the prize for being one of the worst commentators to ever grace football with his presence.

Still can't get over the night we did him and his side over in 89. Which is a fact.
    Most of that RTE lot don't watch any football rather spend their time getting drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

wonga77 wrote: »
    Best to try and put this one to bed im afraid, Kos and Bellerin were huge losses but we still had a good team out there tonight, despite what some here seem to think, 8 of tonights starting team started at the emirates 2 weeks ago. Losing Kos was always going to be tough but I thought Gabriel was a very good backup option, Bellerins pace against Costa was missed. Swapping Giroud for Walcott wasnt a major difference although Walcotts pace did cause problems (even if his shooting didnt). You would swear we had a team of Sanogo's out there tonight
    Hard to believe that there could be such a difference in displays, even taking Bayerns excellent home record into account.
    I said it earlier but if we are to go out at this stage then id much prefer we miss out on thursday night football and concentrate on the league

I just hope the players put tonight behind them and move on as we have a huge game the weekend, hopefully a few faces back too

Yup...beat Spurs, get to the break and get a few lads back.

feeling we will draw on Sunday and felt that before tonight too. Spurs going very well I have to admit. Gonna be tough.

• Advertisement

Don't look like the players were bothered with this game, so I expect a a response on Sunday

But why weren't they bothered? I mean I'm not having a go at you, as a few people have pointed out the same thing. Should they not want to win every game no matter who it's against? If they're not bothered then why are they being played?

Embarrassing. No excuse, I don't care if we're plagued with injuries the majority of our players did not want to be there from the get go. I could single people out but with the exception of maybe Coq, Campbell & Alexis nobody else gave a sh*t. Turning your back on a fluffed shot (so it comes off your out stretched knee) should be a shootable offence. Pathetic...Don't even think a win against our pals on the weekend can make up for it

Sorry Giroud and Ozil were two of our better players. I thought Alexis was poor and Campbell was stuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yup...beat Spurs, get to the break and get a few lads back.

feeling we will draw on Sunday and felt that before tonight too. Spurs going very well I have to admit. Gonna be tough.

A draw is no good for me.
    I want a win against Spurs, especially at the Emirates.

Looking at the table there I think we are destined for the Europa league, I think we'll beat Zagreb but cant see us winning by a few goals in Greece, thats going to be a very tough game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People have been saying for ages that we should prioritise the PL.

That's what we're doing this year.

That's all.

A draw is no good for me.
    I want a win against Spurs, especially at the Emirates.

We should be beaten them at our place, they aren't world beaters we are speaking off. I expect a top performance and the three points.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Sorry Giroud and Ozil were two of our better players. I thought Alexis was poor and Campbell was stuffed.

Campbell tracked back like a trooper as Debuchy was as rusty as could be. Alexis made a few mistakes and looks jaded but if you looked up the stats for ground covered he'd of been top of it. There was one point when we were what like 4-1 down where he ran back to defense won the ball and was the chasing the Bayern defenders down when the ball went back that way. Great game not at all, made a few mistakes and constantly got crowded out of it. Giroud also tried and got a good goal. He was isolated for most of the match I'll conceed that. As I said don't really want to get into particular player ratings as when you lose a match 5-1 no player on your team played well

wonga77 wrote: »
    Looking at the table there I think we are destined for the Europa league, I think we'll beat Zagreb but cant see us winning by a few goals in Greece, thats going to be a very tough game

I think we can get a few goals in Greece, don't think they are any great shakes. We made them look better then they really are. We will have most of the injured players back and hopefully no more injury worries. I think we are far better when we have something on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

But why weren't they bothered? I mean I'm not having a go at you, as a few people have pointed out the same thing. Should they not want to win every game no matter who it's against? If they're not bothered then why are they being played?

My feeling is that the plan was to hold in the back.
    The early goal threw that off the window and the second goal destryed everything.

I think that for the first 30 minutes we were doing relatively OK, after the second goal they just gave up.

But like previously said, this is one of the top-3 in Europe, in a completely different level than all other teams.
    It's not ideal to lose 5-1, and it's not the end of the world either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think we can get a few goals in Greece, don't think they are any great shakes. We made them look better then they really are. We will have most of the injured players back and hopefully no more injury worries. I think we are far better when we have something on the line.

The problem for this game Looper is that they can park the bus and hit us on the counter attack.
    I still think we can do it but it will need patience and it will be absolutely critical to score the first goal.

All that assuming there will be no surprises on the next games

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

What the hell was the goal line official at in the Chelsea game, Costa dived right in front of him and he did nothing.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    My feeling is that the plan was to hold in the back.
    The early goal threw that off the window and the second goal destryed everything.

I think that for the first 30 minutes we were doing relatively OK, after the second goal they just gave up.

But like previously said, this is one of the top-3 in Europe, in a completely different level than all other teams.
    It's not ideal to lose 5-1, and it's not the end of the world either.

The goals that we conceeded were laughable though. First one Gabriel stepped up in our 18 yard box to try and play offside! :confused: It was beyond a joke. Second one Per turned his back on a bobbled shot. Third nobody closed the player down as they were to busy back peddling. Fourth was from a simple corner by a player that just came on the pitch. Fifth was just a counter no matter what Whelan was sh*ting on about. You can't let in such soft goals and expect to get a result. Yes I'm well annoyed with the fact we lost 5-1 but I'm even more annoyed with the manner in which we did it.

Olympiakos beat Juventus and Athletico Madrid last year in Greece in the group stages, In the last 4 or 5 years they have beaten us 3 times out there.
    I dont think they will be brushed aside too easy at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Forgot I backed Both teams to score and BM to win also! Cheers Ollie!!! 😜

According to Perry Groves, back in 1989 the bitter swine said to Tony Adams " Fúck off Adams, your a loser and you always will be". And then Mickey Thomas scored that goal :D

That tinge of bitterness that he just fails to hide with each passing year.

Im very grateful for the years of service Ronnie gave to the boys in green and I commend his charity work, but his punditry is pathetic.

• Advertisement

According to Perry Groves, back in 1989 the bitter swine said to Tony Adams " Fúck off Adams, your a loser and you always will be". And then Mickey Thomas scored that goal :D

That tinge of bitterness that he just fails to hide with each passing year.

Im very grateful for the years of service Ronnie gave to the boys in green and I commend his charity work, but his punditry is pathetic.

Ronnie is just a footballer not much up top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As both a Liverpool and Ireland fan i can honestly say Ronnie Whelan just sounds like a bitter individual, and he loves having a go at any English team not called Liverpool.

@arseblognews: New: Bellerin out of the North London derby https://t.co/PiTFJQlUNd #arsenal #afc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bollocks. Bellerin has been absolutely key this season.

We should still win but whoever is right wing shouldn't cross the half way line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Szczeny looked a bit weak in goal tonight for Roma, should have done better for at least one of the goals, if not both.

• Advertisement

First one was hit high to the roof of the net, dont think he had much chance, second one he should have done better though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

**** this injury list

It can **** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Ended up watching the game on mute, my god they are 2 bells...Ronnie clearly isnt the brightest but happened to be good kicking the pigskin.

Bellerin out is crap, Debucy isn't match sharp, not as good defensively and miles behind Bellerin offensively. I'd take a draw, get a few players back after the internationals and push on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Ended up watching the game on mute, my god they are 2 bells...Ronnie clearly isnt the brightest but happened to be good kicking the pigskin.

Bellerin out is crap, Debucy isn't match sharp, not as good defensively and miles behind Bellerin offensively. I'd take a draw, get a few players back after the internationals and push on then.

No way we'd take a draw, we are at home in a derby game against a team we are better than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As both a Liverpool and Ireland fan i can honestly say Ronnie Whelan just sounds like a bitter individual, and he loves having a go at any English team not called Liverpool.

You have clearly forgotten his time having a pop at Rafa Benitez at every opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

**** this injury list

It can **** right off

Injuries happen and we get our fair share, that said not adding an outfield player whilst losing Diaby and retaining Arteta and Rosicky whilst allowing for Wilshires history is really coming back to bite us.

Beat Spurs get a few back over the break get a run of luck until Jan 1 and try get something new in outfield

Soups123 wrote: »
    No way we'd take a draw, we are at home in a derby game against a team we are better than.

With a right side that has played ~5 games all season. At least they play tomorrow night, should help us.

Don't click the link! It's what they want...

You have clearly forgotten his time having a pop at Rafa Benitez at every opportunity!

God, I remember that. Giving Rafa awful abuse while Hicks & Gillet (remember those chancers) were wrecking everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Don't click the link! It's what they want...

Oh I didn't...will never look at anything from that rag again.

With a right side that has played ~5 games all season. At least they play tomorrow night, should help us.

If it were a run of games id worry but a home game and the adrenaline of the Derby.

Also were talking about a French international with years of PL experience and Joel Campbell who has played and star'd at a WC, we've had bigger problem with worse alternatives.

Arsene looking pretty fed up there.

"No pressing, no challenges"

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Arsene looking pretty fed up there.

"No pressing, no challenges"

Jesus, sounds like he actually watched a carp match for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Need to dump that ****ing jersey aswell, its horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Watched the last 20 minutes of the game on mute because of the absolute rubber he was talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He seemed to delight in our plight tonight. Disappointing result but we may still have a shot, if BM beat Oly and we win our last two games with extra goals in the last one. A long shot but cause for optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Soups123 wrote: »
    Injuries happen and we get our fair share, that said not adding an outfield player whilst losing Diaby and retaining Arteta and Rosicky whilst allowing for Wilshires history is really coming back to bite us.

Beat Spurs get a few back over the break get a run of luck until Jan 1 and try get something new in outfield

There is one thing that should be clear to Wenger. In order to win the CL he will need the depth and quality of a BM or Madrid, IMO. We were blown off the field like rabbits in headlights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement