Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

DeclanRe wrote: »
    You can be passionate about a club, similar to Gary Nevile with Utd, or Carragher with liverpool. But then you have Merse who has a chip on his shoulder ever since Wenger called him out last year for some of his comments. And ever since he's just consistently complained about the club, the manager, players etc. He's a pain to listen to. He had 2 years at Walsall managing, and he thinks he's a tactical genius

I think it's a bit like Catchphrase i.e. Say what you see.
    Merson called the defending for what it was. We all saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I am long enough watching, playing and coaching to know that our defence had been neglected as far as coaching goes. Paul Merson has just been interviewed on Sky Sports and he said it has been embarrassing watching our defence in the three CL matches we lost. He described them as being naive and not knowing what they were doing. He said they are not set up properly and don't know their jobs.
    That is some indictment of our defensive coaching and coming from a passionate Arsenal defender of the past.

Paul Merson knows as much about defending as he does about picking the winner of the Eurovision. If you read his book, you'll know that's not much. Hummels, Subotic and co are widely praised and had the exact same result a few weeks ago. Our defence is easily one of the best in England and the stats support this. Try not to read too much into the scoreline against a ruthless killing machine like Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

efb wrote: »
    Merse talks through his hoop in fairness - our 3 best defenders out playing world class opposition - its a no brainer

Kos, Bellerin and ....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Who is the 3rd?

I also think Merson is passionate about Arsenal and deserves his view.

Kos Monreal and Bellerin

Edit Monreal was playing

I think it's a bit like Catchphrase i.e. Say what you see.
    Merson called the defending for what it was. We all saw it.

Typical hurler on the ditch comment

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

If we can't make it work with two direct back-ups then we're ****ed. I mean Jesus Christ, why can't we sign a solid defender who doesn't **** up when called up? We're not going to have 2 CBs each play 50+ matches per season so we need a third and that's Gabriel and he's useless. And Debuchy is replacing a child. A child in excellent form without a doubt but remember the hype last year for Debuchy? Now he's "just a back-up".

I initially loved this thread, but then there are times like this where you come in and see people completely writing off players. One player has a bad run of form and he's completely hung out to dry. To say that Gabriel is useless is comical - players need time to adapt and will make mistakes, if you were to tar every player with the same brush then Ozil would have been dropped a season ago, as would Ramsey a couple of seasons ago, Monreal also.

As for Debuchy - there is no doubt he is a decent player. But he barely gets a game, obviously due to Bellerins amazing form. You can't expect someone who has sat on the bench for most of the season to come into a game like that and be 100%
    And if someone can give me of an example of a player who could do that please let me know!

I initially loved this thread, but then there are times like this where you come in and see people completely writing off players. One player has a bad run of form and he's completely hung out to dry. To say that Gabriel is useless is comical - players need time to adapt and will make mistakes, if you were to tar the same player with every brush then Ozil would have been dropped a season ago, as would Ramsey a couple of seasons ago, Monreal also.
    Don't put words in my mouth. I've rated Monreal since he got here, and don't recall ever looking for Ozil to be dropped. As for Ramsey, if he's our first choice on the right then we need to make a signing.
    Gabriel has played 17 matches for Arsenal. If he'd made 2 big mistakes then give him a pass, he's been useless since he signed and I've seen little to suggest he'll make it. Other than celebrating winning a tackle at the end of a match which apparently makes him a legend.
    As for Debuchy - there is no doubt he is a decent player. But he barely gets a game, obviously due to Bellerins amazing form. You can't expect someone who has sat on the bench for most of the season to come into a game like that and be 100%
    And if someone can give me of an example of a player who could do that please let me know!
    When United were steamrolling the league did they have the same back 4 all season? They were always able to slot in replacements who were solid if not spectacular. Why can't we get that? If a player can't come in as a replacement then they shouldn't be on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't put words in my mouth. I've rated Monreal since he got here, and don't recall ever looking for Ozil to be dropped. As for Ramsey, if he's our first choice on the right then we need to make a signing.
    Gabriel has played 17 matches for Arsenal. If he'd made 2 big mistakes then give him a pass, he's been useless since he signed and I've seen little to suggest he'll make it. Other than celebrating winning a tackle at the end of a match which apparently makes him a legend.

When United were steamrolling the league did they have the same back 4 all season? They were always able to slot in replacements who were solid if not spectacular. Why can't we get that? If a player can't come in as a replacement then they shouldn't be on the bench.

He's not been useless since he was signed. He's a fine defender and has shown it for us on plenty of occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Dumphy was right lads.

We needed a John Terry out there last night as he would have hurt a player and we wouldn't have lost like we did.

• Advertisement

Typical hurler on the ditch comment

The man has won things with Arsenal as a defender and played with England too so he's surely entitled to his opinion. When he was there fans used to shout "one nil to the Arsenal" as they knew it would usually be enough. You don't hear those chants now for some reason.
    Fair play to him and Ian Right for not being afraid to voice their opinions.

greendom wrote: »
    He's not been useless since he was signed. He's a fine defender and has shown it for us on plenty of occasions
    6 clean sheets in the 17 matches he's played in. Hilarious ****-up last night trying to play offside at his own penalty spot which shows a lack of brains, letting the side down against the worst-performing Chelsea side in years, bookings all over the shop.

He might last til summer 2018 assuming we continue not addressing our glaring issues and he'll leave as a failure of a signing. Anyone can feel free to bookmark this post. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

First off im not putting words i your mouth "If you were to tar every player with the same brush" im just trying to give examples, im not calling you out in particular. I'm just saying a lot of people wrote off those 3 players over the last year or two and they are now 3 of our key players. Also the Man Utd Team from 2006-2009 had a good run without injuries with Rio, Vidic, O'Shea, Evra, Brown etc all making 30+ appearances.

I see your frustration man - and i feel it too. I just honestly think some players need more time than others.

First off im not putting words i your mouth "If you were to tar every player with the same brush" im just trying to give examples, im not calling you out in particular. I'm just saying a lot of people wrote off those 3 players over the last year or two and they are now 3 of our key players. Also the Man Utd Team from 2006-2009 had a good run without injuries with Rio, Vidic, O'Shea, Evra, Brown etc all making 30+ appearances.

I see your frustration man - and i feel it too. I just honestly think some players need more time than others.

I also agree.
    I just think our defenders, all of them, need proper coaching and a game plan that suits and not defend like they have just met up before the match.
    That's more down to the manager and coaches than the players.

The man has won things with Arsenal as a defender and played with England too so he's surely entitled to his opinion. When he was there fans used to shout "one nil to the Arsenal" as they knew it would usually be enough. You don't hear those chants now for some reason.
    Fair play to him and Ian Right for not being afraid to voice their opinions.

Merse was a midfielder- a winger never known him to defend

Merse was a midfielder

Typo. But he did play at the highest level so worth his view.

• Advertisement

So did Adams but it didn't stop them doing their jobs.
    Maybe our defenders last night were pissed too.

Typo. But he did play at the highest level so worth his view.

Some typo

So did Adams but it didn't stop them doing their jobs.
    Maybe our defenders last night were pissed too.

He didn't while he was in prison - rose tinted glasses???

Some typo

Just like your "three" earlier.

He didn't while he was in prison - rose tinted glasses???

He had his medals for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

he's been useless since he signed
    6 clean sheets in the 17 matches he's played in.

What alternative reality do you live in? You do realize that's league winning form?

I am long enough watching, playing and coaching to know that our defence had been neglected as far as coaching goes. Paul Merson has just been interviewed on Sky Sports and he said it has been embarrassing watching our defence in the three CL matches we lost. He described them as being naive and not knowing what they were doing. He said they are not set up properly and don't know their jobs.
    That is some indictment of our defensive coaching and coming from a passionate Arsenal defender of the past.

Another typo???

Just like your "three" earlier.

I held my hands up on that- didn't play the typo card- I do admit when I'm wrong

He had his medals for company.

So has Mr Wenger

I held my hands up on that- didn't play the typo card- I do admit when I'm wrong

You are such a great fellow altogether.
    All hail elf.

So has Mr Wenger

So has Merson.

So has Merson.

As a great defender???

As a great defender???

As 3 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    Lads, it's not a humiliation or an embarassent.

The whole team from front to back were clearly only putting in a half shift. They were jogging for most of the match.

When that happens away to Bayern, you concede 5.

The second that first goal went in, it became an exercise in pragmatism.

Run ourselves into the ground and we MIGHT have gotten a draw which wouldn't have changed the group at all really. Then you've the same 11 in a derby after a tough away game in Europe - no thanks.

You know there is something not right at a club when the players are only putting in half a shift in one of biggest games of the season. I dont care what anybody says but last nights result and especially the performance was an absolute disgrace there is no two ways about it. The attitude of this team stinks at times.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You know there is something not right at a club when the players are only putting in half a shift in one of biggest games of the season. I dont care what anybody says but last nights result and especially the performance was an absolute disgrace there is no two ways about it. The attitude of this team stinks at times.

Watch yourself.
    They don't like criticism around here.

• Advertisement

As 3 of them.

Well I wouldn't be a as knowledgeable as yourself great arsenal season ticket holder you were- I knew Merse wasn't a defender- couldn't defend to safe his life

Gringo180 wrote: »

Write it off-why waste time and energy??

Well I wouldn't be a as knowledgeable as yourself great arsenal season ticket holder you were- I knew Merse wasn't a defender- couldn't defend to safe his life

He was long after my time as a ticket holder.
    His opinion is spot on though.

Really?

(1st) 2006-7 PL starts:
    Ferdinand 33, Vidic 25 Neville 24, Evra 22, Heinze 17, Brown 17, O'Shea 16, Silvestre 6.
    (1st) 2007-8 PL starts:
    Ferdinand 35, Evra 33 , Brown 34, Vidic 32, O'Shea 10 Piquet 5. (missing Neville all season).
    (1st) 2008-9 PL starts:
    Vidic 33, Evra 28, Ferdinand 24, O'Shea 20, Evans 16, Neville 13, Rafael 12, Brown 6.

The middle season was settled, the others not so much. For comparison, us last season:
    Mertesacker 35, Koscielny 26, Monreal 26, Gibbs 18, Chambers 17, Debuchy 10, Gabriel 4.

We're Arsenal. We apparently want to win. So why are our 2 back-up CMs basically punts and need time to develop? Gabriel is athletic and that's about all he has going for him. Chambers should have a decent career at a mid-table team if he's smart enough to not waste his time at Arsenal.

Thing in Accounting called a sunk cost. It's done - can't be undone- chalk it down and move on

Write it off-why waste time and energy??

Because it keep happening. Never fixed.

He was long after my time as a ticket holder.
    His opinion is spot on though.

No it was cheap and reactionary- perfect for your average sky viewer - oh Darts on SS2...

Because it keep happening. Never fixed.

How often had it happened?? Thought this was a new "record" according to you???

No it was cheap and reactionary- perfect for your average sky viewer - oh Darts on SS2...

Several past players have the same opinion and they are right imo.

• Advertisement

Name them? If you are going to say Wright I'll just pass

Do you think we should have won last night??

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Try not to read too much into the scoreline against a ruthless killing machine like Bayern.

Why cant we not be like Bayern? The infrastructure is there at the club to make it happen. That should be the clubs aim, but our transfer policy makes this goal impossible to achieve. Instead we rely on 2nd rate players who are too inconsistent to bring any long term success at the highest level. If I was Ozil, Kos or Sanchez I would be looking for a way out of the club, these players deserve to be competing with the best in Europe, we are a million miles off that. Its always one step forward and two steps back with us the past I dont know how many seasons.

How often had it happened?? Thought this was a new "record" according to you???

6 nil at Chelsea.
    6 - 3 at City.
    5 - 1 at Pool.
    4 - 4 at Newcastle after being 4 up.

Often enough.
    Last night was our worst in the CL.

Gab and Mert are only good with Kos beside them. It's like the island parable you can't leave them on their own

Do you think we should have won last night??

Never said that.
    I mentioned our soft defending. And it was soft.

• Advertisement

6 nil at Chelsea.
    6 - 3 at City.
    5 - 1 at Pool.
    4 - 4 at Newcastle after being 4 up.

Often enough.
    Last night was our worst in the CL.

When we'e they???

Never said that.
    I mentioned our soft defending. And it was soft.

Soft for a reason- best defenders out- up against one of the exceptionional teams in Europe

Watch yourself.
    They don't like criticism around here.

I honestly cant believe some of the comments I am reading. Some nearly even justifying last nights massacre. I'm disgusted by yet another tame, gutless display by these players.

Name them? If you are going to say Wright I'll just pass

Adams, Right, Meson and Winterbourne off the top of my head.

Adams, Right, Meson and Winterbourne off the top of my head.

Wright is his name and Winterburn

Didn't hear Winterburn or Adams criticise the team? Link??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement