Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I see Margo Ledbetter as a role model

Here's a list:
    2015 5-1 Munich
    2015 3-1 Monaco
    2014 5-1 Liverpool
    2014 6-0 Chelsea
    2013 6-3 City
    2012 4-0 v Milan
    2011 8-2 United

Just had a quick look and even Dortmund last year conceded 3 only once in the league despite it being a terrible season for them. Find a club with any kind of respect or pretensions on titles who have had ridiculous results like we have over the last few years. Please.

7 in 5 years isn't awful, except for Liverpool, it's top quality opposition

3-1 isn't embarrassing either so 6 in 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

efb wrote: »

We were 3 up last year against the mighty Anderlecht at home too and conceded 3 late goals.

We were 3 up last year against the mighty Anderlecht at home too and conceded 3 late goals.

3-3 is unfortunate not embarrassing imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

People have become so accustomed to mediocrity that those results are classed as not awful. They are terrible results and the most damning indiment i can give from a personal point of view is that i wasnt even annoyed last night i am so used to beatings like this

wawaman wrote: »
    People have become so accustomed to mediocrity that those results are classed as not awful. They are terrible results and the most damning indiment i can give from a personal point of view is that i wasnt even annoyed last night i am so used to beatings like this

The results (except 3-1) are awful

The frequency isn't alarming though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its still too much for the top club we are aspiring to be. Any club can be caught out on the day, our off days seem to be more frequent than id like and more frequent than any of the other clubs mentioned.
    When we're good we are excellent, but when we are bad it gets really bad

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The worrying thing is that the Ozil, Sanchez and Koscielny will be looking at that game last night and saying to themselves they'll never win a champions league trophy with Arsenal any time soon. If they do leave the last 4 seasons of building this side is gone out the window, so then the cycle starts again of buying 1 world class player each season.

I don't want to sound too critical as I know we have plenty of injuries but its the manner of these defeats that hurt. Its like when we go a goal down that the players don't have the belief that they can turn it around, especially in big European games.
    If we don't push on for the league this year we're gonna struggle big time next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Well said. I remember even playing the top 4 teams a season or so ago and I was delighted that we hadn't conceded in the first 5-10 minutes of the game. Says it all really.

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Its still too much for the top club we are aspiring to be. Any club can be caught out on the day, our off days seem to be more frequent than id like and more frequent than any of the other clubs mentioned.
    When we're good we are excellent, but when we are bad it gets really bad

It's our style of play. Who wants to go back to Graham's 1-0 hoofball?

it has to change though but I doubt it will. I put it down to lack of training and defensive naivety. Something which should be easily fixed but is still not.

3-3 is unfortunate not embarrassing imho

Wenger was embarrassed in his interview that night.

Seriously efb, why answer stuff that's not being asked?

The only alternative. :rolleyes:
    In those matches we were terrible. We weren't caught on the break while trying to control the match, we were simply terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I see all the Gabriel hate and I just can't understand it. It's not so long ago that we hadn't lost a game he was involved in. I feel for him, Debuchy and Campbell. Lads that rarely get a look in but then get called in to play against one of the best (if not the best) offensive team' in the world and are expected to play at an elite level. For a start their match fitness will leave a lot to be desired and I think you could see that in Campbell and Debuchy last night. I like Per as a person but as a top level defender he's finished and I actually think bar Kos when Chambers or Gabriel get a chance they **** themselves because they're playing beside him.

Hold on a minute. You can play beautiful football and also be defensively brilliant. Look back to our Premier Lge winning teams. Proper players, all leaders and warriors. A far cry to what we have at the club now.

Hold on a minute. You can play beautiful football and also be defensively brilliant. Look back to our Premier Lge winning teams. Proper players, all leaders and warriors. A far cry to what we have at the club now.

If we win the league this year, what does that make this lot?

the 91 team wasnt far off any of wengers great teams

Seriously efb, why answer stuff that's not being asked?

Example?

• Advertisement

the 91 team wasnt far off any of wengers great teams

The football was muck

The football was muck

the team that won the league in 1991 was "muck"?

How easily we forget

If we win the league this year, what does that make this lot?

I'll answer that question if we win it. I cant see it personally but hope I am wrong.

Roaster wrote: »
    I see all the Gabriel hate and I just can't understand it. It's not so long ago that we hadn't lost a game he was involved in. I feel for him, Debuchy and Campbell. Lads that rarely get a look in but then get called in to play against one of the best (if not the best) offensive team' in the world and are expected to play at an elite level. For a start their match fitness will leave a lot to be desired and I think you could see that in Campbell and Debuchy last night. I like Per as a person but as a top level defender he's finished and I actually think bar Kos when Chambers or Gabriel get a chance they **** themselves because they're playing beside him.
    "All the Gabriel 'hate'" is mainly me but please, I'm happy to debate it. Someone earlier said about digging deeper into the stats so here's last season when we didn't lose with him on the pitch and those team's finishing positions:
    Middlesbrough (cup)
    Palace (10th)
    Everton (11th)
    QPR (20th)
    Newcastle (15th)
    Liverpool (6th)
    Reading (cup)
    West Brom (13th)

2 clean sheets, Middlesbrough and Everton.

the team that won the league in 1991 was "muck"?

How easily we forget

The football played didn't I say that in my post???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll answer that question if we win it. I cant see it personally but hope I am wrong.

You could answer it now, it's an entirely hypothetical situation, but I suppose answering it now would probably actually mean having to think about what an utterly ludicrous and meaningless term "proper player" is :-/

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You could answer it now, it's an entirely hypothetical situation, but I suppose answering it now would probably actually mean having to think about what an utterly ludicrous and meaningless term "proper player" is :-/

I greatly dislike the term- proper

Example?
    Saying that for determination we need to be Stoke, letting on that hoofball is the only alternative, that our "style of play" leads to hammerings, obfuscating as if you don't know when the 8-2 was and so on.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I am merely pointing out that our teams that won titles under Wenger were much much better than this lot we have now, mentally more so as than anything else. They were all winners, this team are weak mentally.

• Advertisement

The football played didn't I say that in my post???
    We scored more goals that season than we did last season. 74 in 38 matches is 1.95 per game, this season we're on 21 in 11 or 1.91 per game.

Saying that for determination we need to be Stoke, letting on that hoofball is the only alternative, that our "style of play" leads to hammerings, obfuscating as if you don't know when the 8-2 was and so on.

I said exactly when it was 4, years ago. Our style of play does lend itself to high defeats

I said exactly when it was 4, years ago.
    And asked if we'd lost 8-2 since. :rolleyes:
    Our style of play does lend itself to high defeats
    ..and winning **** all. What's the point of it if it lends itself to high defeats and no more goals than George Graham's "hoofball", which is the only alternative.

And asked if we'd lost 8-2 since. :rolleyes:

..and winning **** all.

You said it keeps happening we haven't lost 8-2 since that was my point

What stats?

No idea, but it's a well known fact that one of the main factors contributing to Arsenal acquiring Gabriel was his stats.
    "All the Gabriel 'hate'" is mainly me but please, I'm happy to debate it. Someone earlier said about digging deeper into the stats so here's last season when we didn't lose with him on the pitch and those team's finishing positions:
    Middlesbrough (cup)
    Palace (10th)
    Everton (11th)
    QPR (20th)
    Newcastle (15th)
    Liverpool (6th)
    Reading (cup)
    West Brom (13th)

2 clean sheets, Middlesbrough and Everton.

And the matches they lost? Which other players were playing?

Personally, I don't think he is amazing, and is prone to mistakes. I don't think he's as bad as you think he is, though.

I don't see posters criticising Arsenal at all.
    We are criticising the defending (at least i am) and the lack of desire and know how our defenders showed in many of our matches over the last few years. It happens mainly when we are missing some of our first team players but doesn't have to with proper training and coaching. Not having your usual partner beside you does not mean you can drop your head, stop defending and throw in the towel.

• Advertisement

We haven't won 12 -- 0 since 1900 either :rolleyes:

PS
    I wasn't there.

I am merely pointing out that our teams that won titles under Wenger were much much better than this lot we have now, mentally more so as than anything else. They were all winners, this team are weak mentally.

They have won and successfully defended the FA Cup

We haven't won 12 -- 0 since 1900 either :rolleyes:

PS
    I wasn't there.

I wasn't the one saying it kept happening...

Were you busy?? Wedding day? Only excuse allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I don't see posters criticising Arsenal at all.
    We are criticising the defending (at least i am) and the lack of desire and know how our defenders showed in many of our matches over the last few years. It happens mainly when we are missing some of our first team players but doesn't have to with proper training and coaching. Not having your usual partner beside you does not mean you can drop your head, stop defending and throw in the towel.

I don't bother criticising Arsenal anymore because It doesn't lead to discussion on here, only childish arguments. Only time people are willing to "discuss" on here Is when we've won and everything's great.

It's one of the hammerings you know that perfectly well. We haven't lost 6-3 since City but we have lost 5-1 twice. They're all a part of the same argument.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    No idea, but it's a well known fact that one of the main factors contributing to Arsenal acquiring Gabriel was his stats.
    What stats?
    And the matches they lost? Which other players were playing?
    Don't be lazy.
    Personally, I don't think he is amazing, and is prone to mistakes. I don't think he's as bad as you think he is, though.
    He's not good enough for Arsenal. I showed earlier that when United won 3 titles in a row they had one season with an extremely settled back 4, the other 2 seasons were similar or worse than us last season. But they had players they could slot in and depend on. Gabriel isn't that player, hell he has as many yellow cards as clean sheets since he joined. :P

• Advertisement

I have more hope for Gab than Mert tbf

It's one of the hammerings you know that perfectly well. We haven't lost 6-3 since City but we have lost 5-1 twice. They're all a part of the same argument.

What stats?

Don't be lazy.

He's not good enough for Arsenal. I showed earlier that when United won 3 titles in a row they had one season with an extremely settled back 4, the other 2 seasons were similar or worse than us last season. But they had players they could slot in and depend on. Gabriel isn't that player, hell he has as many yellow cards as clean sheets since he joined. :P

I thought people here were crying out for a more physical player???

I don't bother criticising Arsenal anymore because It doesn't lead to discussion on here, only childish arguments. Only time people are willing to "discuss" on here Is when we've won and everything's great.

I played as a CB and always watch the defending. It' s great to see lads throwing themselves at the ball sometimes head first to block a shot. Alas only KJos seems to do that for us. Mert turning his back away again last night is very disappointing. Gibbs ducking away a few weeks ago is similar.

Wenger was embarrassed in his interview that night.

More embarrassing that Mourinio at the weekend???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Only time people are willing to "discuss" on here Is when we've won and everything's great.

There's never many round here when that happens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

usually after a win, there isn't much of a discussion anyway, because everyone is happy.

And in any case some posters only come in after a defeat because they can back up their points.
    And I don't mean you of course, or any other of the regular posters in here.

What stats?

I have no idea, because I don't work for Arsenal, and don't have anything to do with the purchasing of players. I can say that Wenger has said:

"We look at interceptions, defensive errors, winning tackles - what we call tackles is committing to win the ball. Set piece receptions. These kind of things. But the most important thing is through the eye."
    Don't be lazy.

How am I being lazy? I'm just telling you that stats need context. Look at Ospina's winning stats - clearly he was the best keeper in the league last year, right?

More embarrassing that Mourinio at the weekend???

Chelsea thread
    >

Chelsea thread
    >

I was contextualising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I played as a CB and always watch the defending. It' s great to see lads throwing themselves at the ball sometimes head first to block a shot. Alas only KJos seems to do that for us. Mert turning his back away again last night is very disappointing. Gibbs ducking away a few weeks ago is similar.

Aye, I was a CB for 12 years myself, Kos Is world class and deserves better. Mert mocing out of the way wasn't the problem for me last night, It was not closing Muller down, he had enough time to get out to him but instead decided to stand there like a clown. Gibbs the other week however was embarrassing.
    symbolic wrote: »
    There's never many round here when that happens :)
    Too busy celebrating I guess
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    usually after a win, there isn't much of a discussion anyway, because everyone is happy.

And in any case some posters only come in after a defeat because they can back up their points.
    And I don't mean you of course, or any other of the regular posters in here.

No I agree, I barely post anymore win or loss TBH, I wasn't getting anywhere when I said what I wanted to so now I just sit back and read what everyone else has to say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement