Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Too busy celebrating I guess

Possibly! haha

efb wrote: »
    I have more hope for Gab than Mert tbf
    Well yeah, Mertesacker is 31 and has a season or 2 left.
    I thought people here were crying out for a more physical player???
    He was super "physical" against Costa. :rolleyes: Yellows cards doesn't mean "physical" and I think most people want players who play all the time, not just things going well. Though Gabriel ain't a stand-out with that issue.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    I have no idea, because I don't work for Arsenal, and don't have anything to do with the purchasing of players. I can say that Wenger has said:

"We look at interceptions, defensive errors, winning tackles - what we call tackles is committing to win the ball. Set piece receptions. These kind of things. But the most important thing is through the eye."
    Yup, the eye is the most important. The same eye that got us Cygan, Senderos and Squillachi.
    How am I being lazy? I'm just telling you that stats need context. Look at Ospina's winning stats - clearly he was the best keeper in the league last year, right?
    I provided stats that I researched myself, I even checked some for other people (which didn't turn out how they'd hope).
    By what metric? Ospina was fine last season, I was on record as saying that GK was one of the last places we needed a signing. Quick Google for last year's goalkeeping stats has an article with Chesney ranked highly before being dropped funnily enough.
    Back to Paulista, he makes mistakes and I've yet to see any metric showing him to be good enough for a team of Arsenal's stature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christ mr Roll eyes is popular

Gab was failed by weak refereeing against Costa tbf

Gab was failed by weak refereeing against Costa tbf

And his lack of a brain.

I provided stats that I researched myself, I even checked some for other people (which didn't turn out how they'd hope).
    By what metric? Ospina was fine last season, I was on record as saying that GK was one of the last places we needed a signing. Quick Google for last year's goalkeeping stats has an article with Chesney ranked highly before being dropped funnily enough.
    Back to Paulista, he makes mistakes and I've yet to see any metric showing him to be good enough for a team of Arsenal's stature.

Well according to Squawka, only one of Kos, Mert and Gab have made a defensive error in the league this season. Guess which one? Hint: Not Mert or Gab.

If you look into the stats, Gabriel is doing worse this year than last, for whatever reason. I can give you loads of examples where statistically he is better than Kos and Mert. Last season he was better than Kos at interceptions, blocks, clearances and less defensive errors.

Back to my initial point. You use stats such as number of clean sheets to illustrate how poor Gabriel is. There are other stats out there that show he isn't as bad as you think.

And his lack of a brain.

Their ain't too many brainy footballers tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Reflecting on the game a little more, I wonder was the main problem last night that our midfield were essentially absent?

Cazorla and Sanchez were poor, I'm not sure about Coquelin but I don't think I heard his name until the final 20 minutes and Campbell was only so-so (Ozil had a good game though).

I know the defenders ultimately made the mistakes that lead to the goals but if the midfield had put in a better shift, the defence wouldn't have been under so much constant pressure.

I wonder if this is a common theme? In most games we win, we tend to dominate midfield and so the defence isn't under so much pressure because the midfield is closing down players, keeping possession or simply not allowing crosses and passes to come in. This wasn't happening last night though and so the defence was under constant threat and pressure meaning that a goal was almost inevitable.

Example: 1st goal
    1st_goal_vs_bayern.png

How does Alacantara have so much time to put in a cross? What the hell is Cazorla doing?

2nd Example: 3rd goal
    3rd_goal_vs_bayern.png

For a start, Monreal is marking two players and Cazorla is just brushed off the ball. If you watch the video (on Arsenalist) you would also see Campbell and Sanchez strolling around the place even after we lost the ball.

3rd Example: Alaba Shot
    alaba_shot.png

Look at our midfield. Seriously. Now it looks like the ball is just after coming out to Alaba, but no it was actually closer to the half way line before this screenshot. Why are the midfield so deep? They are all currently strolling out at this stage as well by the way. Why aren't they making any attempt yo push up the field? Alaba has all the time in the world to take the shot and there is only a half arsed attempt made to close him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

farna_boy wrote: »
    Reflecting on the game a little more, I wonder was the main problem last night that our midfield were essentially absent?

Cazorla and Sanchez were poor, I'm not sure about Coquelin but I don't think I heard his name until the final 20 minutes and Campbell was only so-so (Ozil had a good game though).

I know the defenders ultimately made the mistakes that lead to the goals but if the midfield had put in a better shift, the defence wouldn't have been under so much constant pressure.

I wonder if this is a common theme? In most games we win, we tend to dominate midfield and so the defence isn't under so much pressure because the midfield is closing down players, keeping possession or simply not allowing crosses and passes to come in. This wasn't happening last night though and so the defence was under constant threat and pressure meaning that a goal was almost inevitable.

How does Alacantara have so much time to put in a cross? What the hell is Cazorla doing?

For a start, Monreal is marking two players and Cazorla is just brushed off the ball. If you watch the video (on Arsenalist) you would also see Campbell and Sanchez strolling around the place even after we lost the ball.

Look at our midfield. Seriously. Now it looks like the ball is just after coming out to Alaba, but no it was actually closer to the half way line before this screenshot. Why are the midfield so deep? They are all currently strolling out at this stage as well by the way. Why aren't they making any attempt yo push up the field? Alaba has all the time in the world to take the shot and there is only a half arsed attempt made to close him down.

Good post!
    I think it was a mix of both midfield and the forwards.
    We had no outlet from defence. When we tried to counter we lacked pace and lost possession. Bayern pressed us the entire match and because we had no Theo they could play a very high line without worrying about being caught out. Our midfield struggled with the numbers Bayern were able to press us with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No, people, just no.

We conceded 5 last night because we were jogging around the pitch in an away game to one of the most dangerous teams on the planet.

Whining about it misses the point that it was exactly what we needed to do.

Gabriel's mistake for the first was the problem. Then it becomes a training session.

The instructions from the boss at that point should have been

No sprinting!

No dangerous challenges!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I can't believe the outrage at a game we never had any hope going into. We were always going to lose this one. I still think we'll qualify. We'll win both games by 2 or 3 goals and get the runners up spot... That's if Bayern don't cock up and lose to both of them!!!

When I knew Theo was out along with Bellerin and Ox was gone as back up, our direct running was all taken away, and this was crucial in our win last day out.

They are a killing machine and they were in top form. I assure you, there'll be big clubs beaten by bigger scores by Munchen this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »
    I can't believe the outrage at a game we never had any hope going into. We were always going to lose this one. I still think we'll qualify. We'll win both games by 2 or 3 goals and get the runners up spot... That's if Bayern don't cock up and lose to both of them!!!

When I knew Theo was out along with Bellerin and Ox was gone as back up, our direct running was all taken away, and this was crucial in our win last day out.

They are a killing machine and they were in top form. I assure you, there'll be big clubs beaten by bigger scores by Munchen this year!

I'd rather we were out of all the cups and totally focused on the EPL.
    However that defending was unforgivable and shows the lack of decent back-up.

It's grand. It's just us being pragmatic for a change.

A huge amount if defending is about sheer effort. That was a training match. Even Bayern stopped trying.

farna_boy wrote: »

1st_goal_vs_bayern.png

3rd_goal_vs_bayern.png

alaba_shot.png

Agreed our midfield weren't great at holding onto the ball at all meaning our defenders were under pressure all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Agree with all this, we might get away with that back 4 we played last night against the lower table bpl sides but against Munich it's clearly not good enough. We need to get rid of Debuchy and call back Jenkinson imo.

If only Koscielny could stay fit for more than 3 or 4 games at a time as well. He really compliments Gabriel and Mert when he plays with either one.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    @efb the amount you post in this thread is a bit ott, given the fact your posts have little or no substance to them

Anyone else want to back seat mod me???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone else want to back seat mod me???
    How is that back seat modding. All he said was that you make a LOT of posts in this thread, and the figures back that up. And I think everyone can agree not everything you post is Arsenal related and very few are longer than single or double sentences.

Quazzie wrote: »
    How is that back seat modding. All he said was that you make a LOT of posts in this thread, and the figures back that up. And I think everyone can agree not everything you post is Arsenal related and very few are longer than single or double sentences.

He said it was OTT, what non football was there???

If it's a one sentence point why ramble???

It seems unless you are singing from the one hymn sheet people seem to take issue

I take my instructions from the mods in that regard

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    @efb the amount you post in this thread is a bit ott, given the fact your posts have little or no substance to them

Ironic you talk about no substance with nothing to back up your statement btw

gosplan wrote: »
    No, people, just no.

We conceded 5 last night because we were jogging around the pitch in an away game to one of the most dangerous teams on the planet.

Whining about it misses the point that it was exactly what we needed to do.

Gabriel's mistake for the first was the problem. Then it becomes a training session.

The instructions from the boss at that point should have been

No sprinting!

No dangerous challenges!

I agree 100%

We have a big game this weekend why do possible damage needlessly chasing a lost cause??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He said it was OTT, what non football was there???

If it's a one sentence point why ramble???

It seems unless you are singing from the one hymn sheet people seem to take issue

I take my instructions from the mods in that regard
    I agree 100%

We have a big game this weekend why do possible damage needlessly chasing a lost cause??
    3 posts in a row, with #2 being a perfect example of a post with no substance.

Ehm your own post history alone backs up my statement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Take it outside lads ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I logged on too see a lot of pages of posts (which I won't read)

2 points...............

1) we must have lost with this amount of activity

2) do some lads only have Brodband after a defeat or how does it work???????!

I agree 100%

And that's the thing that shocks me. So many people buying into the lazy narrative from RTE last night.

'It's a disgrace Bill, ashamed they should be.'

No, people no. We've counted the cost of European efforts too many times.

A proper league challenge and no one will care about last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Said it last night it's only quite when things are going well because a certain group of posters are busy sharpening the knives for when we lose

I know United and Liverpool fans are a little delusional and mental but so are a certain amount of arsenal fans , heard someone say over at the west ham game that wenger should have gone long ago and Pardew should be in .......I nearly died

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Bloody hell, that's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back reading all that

Last night was shambolic but I kind of agree with Gosplan. It was really like the number one narrative was 'no more injuries" which is really crap for the fans who spent a fortune getting there and is only remotely justifiable if we win on Sunday.

Even if we had won last night we would still need to win the last two games so no major ground lost.

Said it last night it's only quite when things are going well because a certain group of posters are busy sharpening the knives for when we lose

I know United and Liverpool fans are a little delusional and mental but so are a certain amount of arsenal fans , heard someone say over at the west ham game that wenger should have gone long ago and Pardew should be in .......I nearly died

Wenger and the club have roughy that on themselves though.

They didn't prioritise trophies and people have grown impatient.

Two things to remember:

1: while the club was focused on the future, supporters were shelling out record prices for the present

2: it's easier to say 'jogging around and not trying vrs Bayern was correct' when you didn't just spend a grand going over and back to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Of course I feel sorry for the fans it would be ridiculous not , but look that is the pitfalls of football in general for every 5-1 defeat in Munich you have a 1-0 in the Bernabeu etc

I'm talking about people posting this player is ****e and that player aint fit to wear the shirt daily mail type stuff sometimes in here, we had a plan last night and unfortunatley we were undone by an early munich goal up to last week we'd a settled back four

Take 2 out of that and put 2 players lacking in match sharpness (especially debuchy) and come up against one of the best attacks in europe and you're going to have a bad time, But we did try and almost got back to 4-2 there at one , hell we'd a ****ing goal disallowed at 1-0 how different things might be

If we go and balls up the NLD i'll gladly put my hand up and say I was wrong but until then i'm sticking to my guns we have a great side here and things just didn't go our way in Munich last night

Of course I feel sorry for the fans it would be ridiculous not , but look that is the pitfalls of football in general for every 5-1 defeat in Munich you have a 1-0 in the Bernabeu etc

I'm talking about people posting this player is ****e and that player aint fit to wear the shirt daily mail type stuff sometimes in here, we had a plan last night and unfortunatley we were undone by an early munich goal up to last week we'd a settled back four

Take 2 out of that and put 2 players lacking in match sharpness (especially debuchy) and come up against one of the best attacks in europe and you're going to have a bad time, But we did try and almost got back to 4-2 there at one , hell we'd a ****ing goal disallowed at 1-0 how different things might be

If we go and balls up the NLD i'll gladly put my hand up and say I was wrong but until then i'm sticking to my guns we have a great side here and things just didn't go our way in Munich last night

Well we aren't as good as BM, that's the cold hard fact

We can't challenge on all fronts, we are in a good position in the league, let's focus on that

• Advertisement

I logged on too see a lot of pages of posts (which I won't read)

2 points...............

1) we must have lost with this amount of activity

2) do some lads only have Brodband after a defeat or how does it work???????!

Some people only criticise, Eamon Dumphy wannabes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

MOD. Far too much personalisation of posts today, there is an ignore function for a reason. If you don't like someone's posts, put them on ignore, it's unfair to single out individual posters, no matter how annoying you find them or their posting style. You all, I'd imagine, support the same team, who are doing relatively well, hefty reverses to German team aside, so it seems like a total waste of energy to bicker and back bite with each other. If you think someone is trolling, report it.

And that's the thing that shocks me. So many people buying into the lazy narrative from RTE last night.

'It's a disgrace Bill, ashamed they should be.'

No, people no. We've counted the cost of European efforts too many times.

A proper league challenge and no one will care about last night.

Agree BUT it makes 4th place meaningless too and our eagerness to achieve it in the past years was fake. I have always said if we're in it then it should be to win it but clearly our panels of players have been too small and not good enough.

Agree BUT it makes 4th place meaningless too and our eagerness to achieve it in the past years was fake. I have always said if we're in it then it should be to win it but clearly our panels of players have been too small and not good enough.

Disagree completely. We get extra cash for that alone, and being in the UCL attracts the better players. Surely you can see that?

Wenger and the club have roughy that on themselves though.

They didn't prioritise trophies and people have grown impatient.

Two things to remember:

1: while the club was focused on the future, supporters were shelling out record prices for the present

2: it's easier to say 'jogging around and not trying vrs Bayern was correct' when you didn't just spend a grand going over and back to watch it.

No one puts a gun to their head, they go to support Arsenal

No one puts a gun to their head, they go to support Arsenal

Absolutely correct, but it does give them a very f****ng valid reason to be very p1ss3d off!!!

Disagree completely. We get extra cash for that alone, and being in the UCL attracts the better players. Surely you can see that?

If we're only trying to achieve fourth place in order to get more money into our coffers which we probably won't spend then it's the height of treachery towards the paying fans.
    Who do you think would want to join that team last night with our defence in a shambles?

Who do you think would want to join that team last night with our defence in a shambles?

Ozil. Sanchez.

Absolutely correct, but it does give them a very f****ng valid reason to be very p1ss3d off!!!

Yes, not posters in another country.

If f we don't bother against Zagreb when I'm over I'll understand why

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    Ozil. Sanchez.

Henry, RVP, Nasri etc.

Watch this space. As someone said earlier we could lose our good players if they see our lack of ambition.

My ambition is to win the EPL this season as i've said countless times.

Henry, RVP, Nasri etc.

Watch this space. As someone said earlier we could lose our good players if they see our lack of ambition.

If we finish second is that failure?

Well fingers crossed they don't spot it so.

Good work :)

If we finish second is that failure?

Yes.
    Even in our golf roll-up there's nothing for second.
    The winner takes it all.

MY(ha) ambition is League, Champions League and FA Cup. You all lack ambition!!

We've a very good chance of winning the league this year given the fact city are our only real rival for it. Chelsea are fúcked and won't be retaining the title, United are sketchy at best, have a shocking back 4 and are only a couple of injuries away from the likes of paddy mcnair starting games, and well Liverpool are Liverpool.

City do look great this season, they've a better squad than us imo. They look a lot less beatable than we do.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider 2nd a failure unless the league was in our grasp and we let it slip

I wouldn't consider 2nd a failure unless the league was in our grasp and we let it slip

Nobody remembers who came second. No trophy either.

Nobody remembers who came second. No trophy either.

It's an improvement. But yes I see where you come from.

As for your previous reply.
    If we're only trying to achieve fourth place in order to get more money into our coffers which we probably won't spend then it's the height of treachery towards the paying fans.

Yet again, you avoided the question. I'm not going down that road again where you cannot admit you made a mistake. It's fruitless.

If that's the question then it's been answered.
    I cannot see the point in finishing fourth unless we strengthen and try and win the feckin' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement