Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Missing Rambo, Bellerin & Theo from the first 11, with a less than 100% Kos and a sick Santi.

And we still should have won.

We'll get 3 pts from their gaf if we're all fit.

I agree with you but like midweek, the urgency was missing, we had desire in the last 10 minutes, where was it for the first 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Both of those players have 6 league goals this season.

Honestly, this thread wears me out sometimes.

Unbelievable

farna_boy wrote: »
    So we should not play someone who is scoring this season for someone who might scores this season?

If they don't build up a combination who do you think will lose out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wonga77 wrote: »
    I agree with you but like midweek, the urgency was missing, we had desire in the last 10 minutes, where was it for the first 80?

I have a theory. The first 45 were the worst, we had much more urgency in the 2nd half, that was down to us not having to carry a midfielder... Santi! Sad to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

When you're looking at sluggish performances, 11 available outfield players bar sub defenders and DMF's and a string of decent results in important games, I think it's fair to conclude that the team are tired this last week.

I'm not sure and I'd be open to correction but I think Wenger sets up the season in such a way that his team hit stride in the closing months.

Santi/Sanchez/Mert/Kos are not bad players. They're just wrecked.

I'd be quite confidant in Le Boss in this regard.

Now just to get knocked out of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Assists: Ozil 1-0 Alli
    Chances created: Ozil 7-0 Alli
    Tackles won: Ozil 2-1 Alli
    Pass accuracy: Ozil 81% - Alli 67%

Yet who gets man of the match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Think we got out of jail today, thoroughly average Spurs side bossed it for far too long for my liking. Thank god for Mesut cos when you're looking to get something out of a game you can ask for no more. Pinging balls in for fun in the 2nd half and Ollie should have had at least two.

General play was poor though but for years we were the ones with excuses for not winning when we bossed games, now even when we're pretty crap we can prob win because we have a maestro who can make chances out of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If they don't build up a combination who do you think will lose out?

Why can it not be that Sanchez is having a bad few games? Why does everyone's bad form come back to being Giroud's fault?

After Giroud came back last year after injury, Sanchez still managed to score 8 goals with Giroud on the pitch. Meanwhile Giroud scored 13 goals in the same period. They had a good relationship last year, Sanchez is just having a bad run of form. Again this year both of them Giroud have scored with the other on the pitch.

I mean just look at Sanchez playing at the moment, it's no where near his level from last year, even when Giroud isn't on the pitch.

So what is your solution, don't play them together because that will improve their relationship? Or if Sanchez moves up front who is playing in his position, especially at the moment?

Think it's fair to say Ollie wasn't at it today, not Alexis most impressive performance but when you're leading the line against a keeper who looks absolutely lost and you're getting balls served on a plate for ye if you don't notch it's a sin tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Think it's fair to say Ollie wasn't at it today, not Alexis most impressive performance but when you're leading the line against a keeper who looks absolutely lost and you're getting balls served on a plate for ye if you don't notch it's a sin tbh.

What???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Think we got out of jail today, thoroughly average Spurs side bossed it for far too long for my liking. Thank god for Mesut cos when you're looking to get something out of a game you can ask for no more. Pinging balls in for fun in the 2nd half and Ollie should have had at least two.

General play was poor though but for years we were the ones with excuses for not winning when we bossed games, now even when we're pretty crap we can prob win because we have a maestro who can make chances out of nothing.

Maybe people haven't watch Spurs a lot ( I don't blame ya) but they're far from average. I'd goes as far to say they're the 2nd most improved team this year after Leicester.

We looked very tired today and without Theo to stretch the defence and Ramsey to chase attackers we struggled. Add in Spurs constant closing down system we should be very happy with a point.

I think we were very poor today.

The fact that while playing against a team unbeaten since the opening day, we created so many decent chances without being able to pass the ball from back to front says a lot about the quality of the premiership tbh.

Also I think the defence and keeper deserve credit for keeping it to 1 while we were under such pressure. It seems that if we keep our shape and narrow the angles, then you can really rely on Cech.

Also just realised that everyone's more or less off this week. I keep thinking it's an important international week because of Ireland but Ozil, Kos, Giroud, Santi, Debuchy will surely be doing very little. Mert, Coq, Monreal not involved, are they? Alexis probably has an away game on Mars or something though.

efb wrote: »
    What???

In a nutshell, Giroud was sh1te. Lloris looked like a liability 90% of the time balls went into their box and Giroud also had the most creative player in Europe putting chances on a plate for him. Repeatedly. In that situation, not scoring is a crime. I hope that makes it clearer.

In a nutshell, Giroud was sh1te. Lloris looked like a liability 90% of the time balls went into their box and Giroud also had the most creative player in Europe putting chances on a plate for him. Repeatedly. In that situation, not scoring is a crime. I hope that makes it clearer.

Clearly shows that's bs

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Maybe people haven't watch Spurs a lot ( I don't blame ya) but they're far from average. I'd goes as far to say they're the 2nd most improved team this year after Leicester.

We looked very tired today and without Theo to stretch the defence and Ramsey to chase attackers we struggled. Add in Spurs constant closing down system we should be very happy with a point.

Thoroughly average might have been a bit harsh. Poch had them well up for the game but at the end of the day it's still Spurs. They're gonna finish 5th or 6th, they'll have a couple good wins and get a couple hidings as well. I can allow for Wednesday night cos we really were out of our depth but I'm not having the idea that getting outplayed for long spells at home by Spurs is somehow acceptable.

We looked knackered, we're missing players, fair enough but it's November and that was a serious warning sign if we want to have any hope of going all the way with this squad. Ramsey was slated most of the season so far on here but we missed his workrate and commitment hugely today. Campbell is not up to it and never will be.

What's to stop Spurs in the top 4?

Clearly shows that's bs

Which part?

Which part?

Saying Giroud was Shyte

gosplan wrote: »
    I think we were very poor today.

The fact that while playing against a team unbeaten since the opening day, we created so many decent chances without being able to pass the ball from back to front says a lot about the quality of the premiership tbh.

Also I think the defence and keeper deserve credit for keeping it to 1 while we were under such pressure. It seems that if we keep our shape and narrow the angles, then you can really rely on Cech.

Also just realised that everyone's more or less off this week. I keep thinking it's an important international week because of Ireland but Ozil, Kos, Giroud, Santi, Debuchy will surely be doing very little. Mert, Coq, Monreal not involved, are they? Alexis probably has an away game on Mars or something though.

I think Debuchy will be having a lot of quiet weekends for international breaks for the foreseeable. Things have just not worked out for him the last year or so unfortunately. Think Sanchez is actually away to the 2nd moon of Jupiter. Def start next game then for us after 6 days of space travel.

Saying Giroud was Shyte

I think F365 sum it up pretty well:

* While Harry Kane scored his 22nd Premier League goal of 2015 to become the calendar year’s most prolific goalscorer, Olivier Giroud was missing his 13th clear-cut chance of the season (ask Opta for the definition) to become the calendar year’s most infuriating wastrel.

For all the talk of minute-per-goal ratios, you would rather have a dozen other strikers on the end of Mesut Ozil’s glut of ridiculously good balls. Cometh the hour, goeth the chance against the bar or wide.

He is a beautiful, beautiful man but he is not the striker to build a title challenge around. And neither is Theo Walcott, before anybody makes the argument that Giroud is merely a back-up striker and better than Manchester City’s back-up to Sergio Aguero. Two 7/10 strikers with major flaws in their game do not equal one 10/10 attack, however you do the maths.

* Also, do not attempt to gee up the crowd after 80 minutes when you have let them down time and time again with your ridiculously poor finishing. The crowd was only largely still in the ground because your reserve left-back finished a chance that you would have blazed over the bar.

The centre-half who has made his seventh block of the match, the full-back with a last-ditch sliding tackle…they are allowed to do that ‘come on’ gesture to the crowd. But the striker who has had five attempts and only hit the target once, created no chances, lost the ball eight times (eight bloody times!) with a poor touch and recorded a pass completion rate of below 50%? Not so much.

• Advertisement

That's lazy punditry imho

Someone needed to give the Arsenal fans a kick up the bum

He was being dragged from pillar to post from the Spurs' defenders on his own

We won the league twice going calendar year- doesn't give us the trophy

The season is August to May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He has a UCL hattrick...

Last year and was his only hattrick of his career so far. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's obviously not the one of the best backups in Europe. Anyway Ronjo was talking about Walcott so I must've misunderstood him. Walcott was seriously missed today, himself and Ramsey would've been gamechangers.

Last year and was his only hattrick of his career so far. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's obviously not the one of the best backups in Europe. Anyway Ronjo was talking about Walcott so I must've misunderstood him. Walcott was seriously missed today, himself and Ramsey would've been gamechangers.

We'll never know

you would rather have a dozen other strikers on the end of Mesut Ozil’s glut of ridiculously good balls.

Yes, yes you would.

The thing is we don't have one of the dozen best strikers in the world.

Giroud could be improved upon (sorry efb) but it's not just a matter of clicking fingers. What he offers us is a fantastic way to bypass the midfield, which a lot if other strikers wouldn't. Ageuro etc doesn't do that and even if we bought him, we'd still need our plan B.

Efb is right though, it is lazy journalism. If you're going to go to 'calendar year' for chances missed, then you should point out that Arsenal won the calendar year premiership despite that.

Also 'chances missed' is pointless. If we create more, we'll miss more. You need some kind of ratio there. Additionally losing the ball 8 times is not a big deal when it's punted up to you.

People need to look at Giroud vrs Bayern in the first leg and see that's what he's ideal at. Since City got Ageuro, they've tried Negredo, Dzeko, Jovetic, Bony etc. They'd bite your hand off to have Giroud for the last 25 mins of each game.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes, yes you would.

The thing is we don't have one of the dozen best strikers in the world.

Giroud could be improved upon (sorry efb) but it's not just a matter of clicking fingers. What he offers us is a fantastic way to bypass the midfield, which a lot if other strikers wouldn't. Ageuro etc doesn't do that and even if we bought him, we'd still need our plan B.

Efb is right though, it is lazy journalism. If you're going to go to 'calendar year' for chances missed, then you should point out that Arsenal won the calendar year premiership despite that.

Also 'chances missed' is pointless. If we create more, we'll miss more. You need some kind of ratio there. Additionally losing the ball 8 times is not a big deal when it's punted up to you.

People need to look at Giroud vrs Bayern in the first leg and see that's what he's ideal at. Since City got Ageuro, they've tried Negredo, Dzeko, Jovetic, Bony etc. They'd bite your hand off to have Giroud for the last 25 mins of each game.

I don't think Giroud is the greatest striker ever, I'd have Aguero over him any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

That's lazy punditry imho

Someone needed to give the Arsenal fans a kick up the bum

He was being dragged from pillar to post from the Spurs' defenders on his own

Utter nonsense. The fans were singing their hearts out despite the dross being served up. It was as if most of the players hadn't realised we were playing in a derby. The stadium was rocking yesterday.

I am a fan of Giroud and what he offers but to say he needed to give the fans a kick is rubbish.

Was yesterday another day where the pressure meant we bottled it? Pressure of going top/Derby?

Cech saved us a point. What an addition this season.
    Mert sadly looks finished. So wrong in many respects that his lack of pace is one of his many flaws. Debuchy doesn't look the player he was before injury. Maybe he will play himself back into form but the limited evidence so far is poor.
    Santi should never have started if ill. He was terrible. We were bossed by Spurs in midfield.

Ozil is a god. Ok he gave the ball away a few times but he kept producing the goods.
    Alexis didn't really fire, camp bell other thN the shot was poor.

We really lacked the pace of Bellerin and Theo.

Before the season you'd consider it 2 points dropped. After the injuries and the insipid first 70 minutes, it definitely was a point gained.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Why can it not be that Sanchez is having a bad few games? Why does everyone's bad form come back to being Giroud's fault?

After Giroud came back last year after injury, Sanchez still managed to score 8 goals with Giroud on the pitch. Meanwhile Giroud scored 13 goals in the same period. They had a good relationship last year, Sanchez is just having a bad run of form. Again this year both of them Giroud have scored with the other on the pitch.

I mean just look at Sanchez playing at the moment, it's no where near his level from last year, even when Giroud isn't on the pitch.

So what is your solution, don't play them together because that will improve their relationship? Or if Sanchez moves up front who is playing in his position, especially at the moment?

Welbeck was on the pitch too when Sanchez scored them goals he works better with a runner who goes on behind

I never said don't play them but with Ozil and Sanchez having a better relationship with a runner I can see Girouds time coming to an end or st least move dish the pecking order

Pudders wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. The fans were singing their hearts out despite the dross being served up. It was as if most of the players hadn't realised we were playing in a derby. The stadium was rocking yesterday.

Really???, the decibel level certainly changed after his intervention, the away fans were far more vocal.

I'm not saying Giroud is The World's Greatest Striker, but he is more often than not unfairly being made the scapegoat. I look forward to Walcott's return as the alternate system seemed to work. Giro's probably wrecked at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Really???, the decibel level certainly changed after his intervention, the away fans were far more vocal.

I'm not saying Giroud is The World's Greatest Striker, but he is more often than not unfairly being made the scapegoat. I look forward to Walcott's return as the alternate system seemed to work. Giro's probably wrecked at this stage.

Didn't look wrecked yesterday to me. Had a decent game, but his finishing was atrocious. It's just a pity as they could have won yesterday despite not playing very well had he been a bit more clinical.

L'prof wrote: »
    Didn't look wrecked yesterday to me. Had a decent game, but his finishing was atrocious. It's just a pity as they could have won yesterday despite not playing very well had he been a bit more clinical.
    He was out on his feet by the end of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

My quick match analysis...rushing off to work.

Debuchy's best game yet since he is back from injury and Campbell played decent but ofc Campbell for me is no Walcott or Ox.
    We were obviously overran in midfield in 1st half due to Wenger's tactics of Campbell and Sanchez hogging the line to much...
    At 1-0 down I would've been happy with a point but when we got the goal I really thought we deserved all 3 with the way we went for it.
    Oh Kos was to blame for the 1st goal not Mert as some people have said on social media.
    We def missed Ramsey in that game yesterday, his engine is def needed for that type of derby.
    While Giroud missed 2 great chances I still thought he had a very good game.
    Now another break and hopefully some of our walking wounded will get closer to returning.

Efb, you seriously need to take off your Ollie coloured spectacles. His contribution to the game was decent yesterday, but his finishing was atrocious, and that's his main job as a striker! I think you should accept that, and move on... Your constant defending of him is rather tiresome... And I usually like your posts and Giroud, before anyone asks! I just think this time, Giroud was poor where it counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Giroud isn't a world class finisher but something he is very good at is getting himself in the positions to get chances and that's a skill in itself.

For example look at Robbie Keane for Ireland over the years, some very ignorant people would claim that all he does is score "tap ins" but has anyone notice that we haven't had any other striker in living memory that was able to get those sort of goals?

Getting yourself into these positions is a skill in itself and Giroud seems to have that, it's obviously a great skill to have but it leaves yourself open to criticism from certain people who don't understand this. He does take a few chances to score but he gets himself in the positions to get these chances.

I have a theory that if Arsenal replaced Giroud with a striker that scored exactly the same amount as him over a season but that maybe only got himself in a position to get 2 good chances in a match but would score one of them everyone would rate him as world class. But Giroud who'll maybe get in a position to have 6 good chances but only score one is regarded as something of a waster. Yet for the sake of argument they both end up with the same number of goals.

Look at Giroud's goals to games ratio over the last couple of years. It's absolutely top class. He does waste a few chances but he's great at getting himself in the positions to get these chances and to me that's a very under rated skill and possibly one that some people are ignorant of.

I don't think he's quiet world class but to me there's only one truly world class striker in the premiership and that's Aguero. Giroud is as good as any of the rest of them.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Efb, you seriously need to take off your Ollie coloured spectacles. His contribution to the game was decent yesterday, but his finishing was atrocious, and that's his main job as a striker! I think you should accept that, and move on... Your constant defending of him is rather tiresome... And I usually like your posts and Giroud, before anyone asks! I just think this time, Giroud was poor where it counts!

His finishing wasn't immaculate yesterday but he created a great header that hit the bar, and lloris made a great save for another

I'm not saying he's the worlds greatest striker- but to call him shît, is also wide of the mark

I'll defend those I feel are being unfairly treated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

His finishing wasn't immaculate yesterday but he created a great header that hit the bar, and lloris made a great save for another

I'm not saying he's the worlds greatest striker- but to call him shît, is also wide of the mark

I'll defend those I feel are being unfairly treated

Who did that??
    I fully agree that is ridiculous.

Giroud isn't a world class finisher but something he is very good at is getting himself in the positions to get chances and that's a skill in itself.

For example look at Robbie Keane for Ireland over the years, some very ignorant people would claim that all he does is score "tap ins" but has anyone notice that we haven't had any other striker in living memory that was able to get those sort of goals?

Getting yourself into these positions is a skill in itself and Giroud seems to have that, it's obviously a great skill to have but it leaves yourself open to criticism from certain people who don't understand this. He does take a few chances to score but he gets himself in the positions to get these chances.

I have a theory that if Arsenal replaced Giroud with a striker that scored exactly the same amount as him over a season but that maybe only got himself in a position to get 2 good chances in a match but would score one of them everyone would rate him as world class. But Giroud who'll maybe get in a position to have 6 good chances but only score one is regarded as something of a waster. Yet for the sake of argument they both end up with the same number of goals.

Look at Giroud's goals to games ratio over the last couple of years. It's absolutely top class. He does waste a few chances but he's great at getting himself in the positions to get these chances and to me that's a very under rated skill and possibly one that some people are ignorant of.

I don't think he's quiet world class but to me there's only one truly world class striker in the premiership and that's Aguero. Giroud is as good as any of the rest of them.

This 100%

Last page back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Last page back
    Any links?

• Advertisement

Last page back

Aha, to me he is talking about yesterdays game only and not his overall play which "Giroud is ****" implies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Theres a huge difference between saying Giroud is sh1te all the time and saying he was sh1te yesterday tbf which is what 2ndcoming meant (I think)

Theres a huge difference between saying Giroud is sh1te all the time and saying he was sh1te yesterday tbf which is what 2ndcoming meant (I think)

Yep, seems like arguing for arguing sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

pretty sure 2ndcoming thinks he's pretty poor in general, not just yesterday

Giroud is far from ****! He's very very good, but his finishing yesterday was poor!

ronjo wrote: »
    Aha, to me he is talking about yesterdays game only and not his overall play which "Giroud is ****" implies.

He wasn't shyte yesterday either

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for throughout opinion

emmetlego wrote: »
    Giroud is far from ****! He's very very good, but his finishing yesterday was poor!

Thats the consensus among 99% of fans I reckon so maybe its time to move him.

Hopefully Santi is feel better and as many players get a rest as possible over the next week.
    Wenger surely has to consider resting Sanchez for West Brom game if he plays two more for Chile before then.

Yes we know thats your opinion but it wasnt fair of you to accuse someone of saying he is sh*t when that wasnt what was said in what you quoted.

Wenger even said after OG was furious with himself for missing all those chances!!! Let it go, will ye!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement