Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

emmetlego wrote: »
    @bbcsport_david: Walcott (calf) & Ox (hamstring) expected to miss 3 games. Early indication TW slightly worse but both set to be out for #Swans #Bayern #THFC

I think thats to be expected even if they were both tight rather than pulled, its 3 games over 8 days and you'd expect two weeks.

They have just over 3 weeks until after the international break I'd hope for both to be back by then unless they have done some serious damage. Arteta should be back by then too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would disgree, for goal number 2 they had spare men and space behind the goal scorer, for the 3rd goal the left sided midfield should have been marking the lad who knocked it back in.

I kinda agree about the possession football especially against better teams, we are much better suited sitting back then going on the break. For weaker teams they sit back so it more natural we should come and dominate.

In fairness to Arsene I think he has got his tactics spot on for a number of games this season.

Mert is not a poor back up player, Chambers is not a poor back up player when you consider he is 4th choice CB, your not going to get much better for a 4th choice CB, he needs a loan if you ask me.

Debuchy I feel needs to move on, the two injuries and Bellerin's emergence has killed him.

Gibbs as a 2nd choice LB is as good as there is around, have a look at other teams around us they have no better.

I think Mert and Gibbs can slot in and perform to the level needed. The other two I would worry about

Chambers is a poor back-up player imo.
    Gibbs is far too weak and timid. Remembering him ducking a few weeks ago.
    I thought Debuchy was good when he came but he's far too slow now and either lacking fitness or interest.
    Mert is not the worst and his passing is good but he just can't jump and is often beaten in the air by smaller players.

Cech
    Bellerin----Kosc----Gab
    Monreal

Art
    Coq

Caz
    Sanchez
    Ozil
    Giroud

Or would It just be better to play Campbell on the right? and keep Caz and Ozil centre with Sanchez Left?

He looks piss poor TBH

Arteta is injured!

I think this will be it but with Flamini instead of Arteta. Flamini pushing on more with Coq doing his normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Cech
    Bellerin----Kosc----Gab
    Monreal

Art
    Coq

Caz
    Sanchez
    Ozil
    Giroud

Or would It just be better to play Campbell on the right? and keep Caz and Ozil centre with Sanchez Left?

He looks piss poor TBH

Arteta is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

looking at the squad, we only have 4 midfielders and 3 forwards who are fit...jaysus...we sure have to recall some of the loanees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Arteta is injured.
    Arteta is injured!

I think this will be it but with Flamini instead of Arteta. Flamini pushing on more with Coq doing his normal

Omg, wtf do we do then? :pac:

I have the solution.

Sack Bould! :-)

Many a true word ....

I like Giroud but I think our attacking play is just so static when he starts. I would play Sanchez up top, Ozil on the right cutting in on his left foot and play either Campbell or Gibbs on the left wing. Not ideal but we haven't got much to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

L'prof wrote: »
    It says his spell was cut short by the League 1 club as he failed to impress coaching staff.

Not a good sign when you hear that is it. Seen as many rate him as been one of the young players that could be a future first team player. Maybe he knows Wenger is high on him so he couldn't be bothered to impress or maybe Barnsley didn't suit his style.

I think we should take Gnarby back too seen as he hasn't done anything at WBA. He might come In handy for the next two months or so.

Is Akpom the only one impressing right now on Loan?

Chambers is a poor back-up player imo.
    Gibbs is far too weak and timid. Remembering him ducking a few weeks ago.
    I thought Debuchy was good when he came but he's far too slow now and either lacking fitness or interest.
    Mert is not the worst and his passing is good but he just can't jump and is often beaten in the air by smaller players.

But being realistic;

Chambers is 4th choice CB, would you agree that for that level of squad depth he is as good as you are likely too get, with a good loan could become a great player?

Gibbs, does anyone have a better 2nd choice LB that this in the league?

Debuchy had two awful injuries one with each leg, he has lost pace and his place and he knows he can't win it back, move him on bring in Jenks.

Agreed Mert is not the worst and as 3rd choice is more than capable. Has had some magnificent games this season

So all in all we are not too bad off in defence when you look at what we have in comparison to others and understanding top class players will not come to a team to play second choice

• Advertisement

Omg, wtf do we do then? :pac:

Just keep giving it to Sanchez and shout run run run...........

Arteta is injured!

That will be it.
    A very poor bench after that.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Not a good sign when you hear that is it.

Lets not forget it wasn't long ago that Coq couldn't get into the Charlton team. He has been one of our best players this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Lets not forget it wasn't long ago that Coq couldn't get into the Charlton team. He has been one of our best players this year.

glad someone said it :) ! amazing how much possession/tackles he wins for us , might not get the goals but defiantly stops opposition scoring , if we had payed 30mil for him in summer everyone would be talking about him :)

But being realistic;

Chambers is 4th choice CB, would you agree that for that level of squad depth he is as good as you are likely too get, with a good loan could become a great player?

Debuchy had two awful injuries one with each leg, he has lost pace and his place and he knows he can't win it back, move him on bring in Jenks.

Agreed Mert is not the worst and as 3rd choice is more than capable. Has had some magnificent games this season

So all in all we are not too bad off in defence when you look at what we have in comparison to others and understanding top class players will not come to a team to play second choice

Ok but i have never rated Gibbs and Chambers is an accident waiting to happen. Showed promise when he arrived but has gone back-ways since. Maybe a loan period with a C/ship side would bring him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

pudzey101 wrote: »
    glad someone said it :) ! amazing how much possession/tackles he wins for us , might not get the goals but defiantly stops opposition scoring , if we had payed 30mil for him in summer everyone would be talking about him :)

If I had a penney for every time someone has said that I'd have about 30Million penneys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

That will be it.
    A very poor bench after that.

Don't worry. Arsene will splash the cash at Christmas. The transfer stocking will be brimming!

But being realistic;

I think last night was a off night for our defence, I rather it happen in a match like that then on Saturday. I do agree Debuchy looks like he can't be bothered, who can blame him as Bellerin has become one of the biggest prospects in world football. We won't get Jenks back until the summer until then we should keep Debuchy but I wonder if he be wanting out in January seen as he wants to make the French squad for the Euro's.

Mert is at his strongest when he has Kos beside him. I do think Chamber's needs a loan move like with Jenks for a year or two really but we can't afford to lose him. Gibb's is no Monreal but he do a solid job. I agree we are grand in defence.

It's now with the injuries to Ox and Walcott that up forward we're looking very bare. One more serious injury and we could be screwed.

Pudders wrote: »
    Don't worry. Arsene will splash the cash at Christmas. The transfer stocking will be brimming!

Ha ha. I'll put money on that :pac:

• Advertisement

finger's crossed, I think what goes agaisn't Crowley he hasn't played First team football with us aside from a few friendlies in the summer, unlike Coq who had a few years experience with us. Unlike say Wilshire who had a great loan spell with Bolton in the PL, to be sent back from a struggling First division team cause he didn't impress isn't a good sign. But we have to wait and see.

Looper007 wrote: »
    finger's crossed, I think what goes agaisn't Crowley he hasn't played First team football with us aside from a few friendlies in the summer, unlike Coq who had a few years experience with us. Unlike say Wilshire who had a great loan spell with Bolton in the PL, to be sent back from a struggling First division team cause he didn't impress isn't a good sign. But we have to wait and see.

Regarding Crowley I believe England showed no interest in him and he's declaring for ROI. Does that tell us anything?
    I liked him when he played with the U.21's so hopefully he works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Theo out for three weeks apparently, will miss Swansea, Spurs & Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I guess this is Joel Campbells opportunity. Its far from ideal and im not really optimistic given his performances when he has started but we have been pleasantly surprised by people getting opportunities because of injuries recently so hopefully Joel can step up too.

shano_88 wrote: »
    I guess this is Joel Campbells opportunity. Its far from ideal and im not really optimistic given his performances when he has started but we have been pleasantly surprised by people getting opportunities because of injuries recently so hopefully Joel can step up too.

I dont think so, I think it will be Flamini's opportunity with Cazorla pushing on and Campbell playing off the bench

I dont think so, I think it will be Flamini's opportunity with Cazorla pushing on and Campbell playing off the bench

I would be really reluctant to break up Coquelin-Cazorla as they have been immense lately. And Flamini-Coq doesnt provide much control in midfield imo.

• Advertisement

I would be really reluctant to break up Coquelin-Cazorla as they have been immense lately. And Flamini-Coq doesnt provide much control in midfield imo.

I would agree but Arsene has trust issues and think he'll favour Flamini more, especially with the 3 games coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I would agree but Arsene has trust issues and think he'll favour Flamini more, especially with the 3 games coming up

It's a big blow to the(slim admittedly) chances of getting anything in Munich.

Entirely possible. And Cazorla has obviously played further forward in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Id go with Campbell, keep the stability in the centre.

And one thing Campbell does do is run tackle and chase balls so he might be of help to bellein.

Still think he has something in the locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonder why Crawley played so many games for Barnsley if he was such a disappointment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I'd much rather keep the Santi, Coq partnership than bring in Flamini. Give Campbell a shot and see how he goes, I really don't think Flamini is good enough anymore, even as a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah I'd much rather keep the Santi, Coq partnership than bring in Flamini. Give Campbell a shot and see how he goes, I really don't think Flamini is good enough anymore, even as a squad player.

Flamini is a constant liability any time he's on the pitch these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't really think it's worth changing things to bring in Flamini over Campbell.

We can carry a player for a few matches. As long as Campbell looks after his defensive duties, it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What nobody mentioned and what I think will happen the weekend

Gibbs LW
    Sanchez moves to the right

Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

As per usual we are top of the Prem Lge injury list along with Newcastle with 8 injuries.

Arsenal 8

T Walcott Muscular Injury no date
    A Oxlade-Chamberlain Muscular Injury no date
    M Arteta Ankle/Foot Injury no date
    A Ramsey Hamstring Injury 4 weeks
    D Ospina Shoulder Injury 4 weeks
    J Wilshere Calf/Shin Injury 7 weeks
    T Rosicky Knee Injury 2 months
    D Welbeck Knee Injury 3 months

This cant be just a coincidence. Seems to happen every season.

Just to get back to this post, its no wonder we're top of the table when it comes to injuries if you look at the players involved. As a club we are far too loyal to players made of glass, with the exception of Ospina from that list named, most of those players are constantly out with something.
    For the last few seasons we have been top of the pile when it comes to injuries both long and short term, we've blamed bad luck, questioned training methods etc but its the same names that keep cropping up on the list again and again.

It took a long time to cut Diaby loose and maybe it is time to leave a few more go to. At the end of the day they are still getting paid and really only taking up space

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just to get back to this post, its no wonder we're top of the table when it comes to injuries if you look at the players involved. As a club we are far too loyal to players made of glass, with the exception of Ospina from that list named, most of those players are constantly out with something.
    For the last few seasons we have been top of the pile when it comes to injuries both long and short term, we've blamed bad luck, questioned training methods etc but its the same names that keep cropping up on the list again and again.

It took a long time to cut Diaby loose and maybe it is time to leave a few more go to. At the end of the day they are still getting paid and really only taking up space

No its because we are trying to do too much with a small nucleus of players.

What nobody mentioned and what I think will happen the weekend

Gibbs LW
    Sanchez moves to the right

Sorted

Thats what there saying in the telegraph alright. Another possibility is move Bellerin forward and playing Chambers/Debuchy but Im sure no one wants to see Chambers vs Montero again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Thats what there saying in the telegraph alright. Another possibility is move Bellerin forward and playing Chambers/Debuchy but Im sure no one wants to see Chambers vs Montero again!

Please I don't fancy seen Campbell either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'd be in favour of Debuchy full back and Bellerin on the wing... Worth a shot anyway! I'd say Debuchy would be much more stable with Kos, Gab/Mert beside him, and Bellerin would work well up and down the line anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'd be in favour of Debuchy full back and Bellerin on the wing... Worth a shot anyway! I'd say Debuchy would be much more stable with Kos, Gab/Mert beside him, and Bellerin would work well up and down the line anyway!

Why upset a perfectly stable defence?

Now youre messing with a defence and midfield.

Just stick Campbell in, minimum disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The smart decision would be putting Campbell in. The Ox was hardly stellar in his time on the wing.

Don't want to be messing with the defence or midfield.

I agree less disruption the better, maybe start Campbell.

Gibbs left Sanchez right is next best option I think keeps us defensively solid down the sides

greendom wrote: »
    Wonder why Crawley played so many games for Barnsley if he was such a disappointment?

That's what I find weird too, they are struggling but it can't be all down to him. Maybe atitude problems or he doesn't fit in with the managers team plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Why upset a perfectly stable defence?

Now youre messing with a defence and midfield.

Just stick Campbell in, minimum disruption.

Good point, well made. Suppose Ox was pretty ineffective there anyway, Campbell will bring high work rate if nothing else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just had a look at his appearances compared to the rest of their midfield. Without having watched him I don't really know what to draw from it but he has played his fair share.

Marley Watkins (12)
    Josh Scowen (11)
    Conor Hourihan (11)
    Ben Pearson (11) on loan
    Dan Crowley (9) on loan
    Joe Rothwell (7) on loan
    Kadeem Harris (7) on loan
    Ryan Williams (1)
    Paul Digby (1)
    Brad Abbot (0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I wonder if we could recall Hayden from hull, pretty sure I read somewhere that the club see him as a DM for the future and he has been doing pretty well for Hull, that could cover us in central midfield for the time being

L'prof wrote: »
    Just had a look at his appearances compared to the rest of their midfield. Without having watched him I don't really know what to draw from it but he has played his fair share.

Marley Watkins (12)
    Josh Scowen (11)
    Conor Hourihan (11)
    Ben Pearson (11) on loan
    Dan Crowley (9) on loan
    Joe Rothwell (7) on loan
    Kadeem Harris (7) on loan
    Ryan Williams (1)
    Paul Digby (1)
    Brad Abbot (0)

Had a little delve into a Barnsley forum and not too many complimentary things said about him.

Doubt he'll be appearing for our first team any time soon

Had a little delve into a Barnsley forum and not too many complimentary things said about him.

Doubt he'll be appearing for our first team any time soon

like what?

like what?

one was why did it take them 10 games to see what we saw after 1 game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Wenger on his options for right side...

"On his right-sided options at Swansea…

Campbell and Alex Iwobi. Santi can play there as well but he has become very important centrally. The problem sometimes is that you can destroy two departments if you move one player out. We control the ball better with Santi in the middle."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement