Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

efb wrote: »
    Ruud Van Nistlerooy ftw

Hasn't he been made into glue by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ruud Van Nistlerooy ftw

Bobby Charlton would combine very well with our midfield

Anyone listening to Off The Ball? It seems after yesterday Cazorla & Coqelin are easy to over run in midfield.

Does anyone, anywhere consider more than one match in their analysis anymore?

We did draw, yes? And conceded just one goal after a punt from their left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Off The Ball? It seems after yesterday Cazorla & Coqelin are easy to over run in midfield.

Does anyone, anywhere consider more than one match in their analysis anymore?

We did draw, yes? And conceded just one goal after a punt from their left back?

I suppose they conveniently left out the fact that Cazorla was unwell? Seem to remember them doing ok against United and Bayern's midfield in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yeah Santi was getting sick before the match even started. He told the Boss he felt dizzy so Wenger he took him off.

We were practically playing with 10 men in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I know that in May he had a better gpg ratio than Ronaldo for 2015.

I'm assuming that's dropped off but you're looking at maybe 20 in 30 or something this calendar year.

(That's a really vague estimate by the way)

But it's pointless comparing Rooney's old form to Giroud's new form and saying Rooney's better because historically he has scored more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Yeah Santi was getting sick before the match even started. He told the Boss he felt dizzy so Wenger he took him off.

We were practically playing with 10 men in the first half.

Why the sh1te was he started then??? I cant figure it out

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why the sh1te was he started then??? I cant figure it out

More importantly, is he okay now?

What the hell was it? Food poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

He's In a poor run of form yes, Is that your point? Because everyone know's that. It doesn't make him a sh1te striker. Even In his worst year(last year) he scored 12 PL goals, 2 less than Giroud who had what some would call a good/great season.

point is rooney is **** now and has been for 2 seasons.

Like i said, Sonogo is no worse then rooney at present.

Just ask the many United fans wanting him sold as his been a joke for them.

Your having a laugh putting him above giroud at present. laughable mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I never suggested buying Rooney BTW I'm just saying that Giroud Isn't the best 2nd best or even top among 5 the best PL strikers.

Ok let me ask you a question.

Over 2 season spell. who is your top 5 strikers in the EPL then

• Advertisement

CTZe-LCXIAAL3-n.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Giroud is most definately in the top 5 strikers in the premier league, off day yesterday, I think you will find all players have an off day!!

Goals 2014/15 Goals 2015/16 Total Games 2014/15 Games 2015/16 Total Games per goal
    Aguero 26 6 32 33 8 41 1.28
    Costa 20 2 22 26 10 36 1.64
    Kane 21 6 27 34 12 46 1.70
    Giroud 14 6 20 27 12 39 1.95
    Benteke 13 4 17 29 9 38 2.24
    Vardy 5 12 17 34 12 46 2.71
    Pelle 12 6 18 38 12 50 2.78
    Berahino 14 3 17 38 10 48 2.82
    Lukaku 10 7 17 36 12 48 2.82
    Bony 11 2 13 30 10 40 3.08
    Rooney 12 2 14 33 11 44 3.14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

My big problem with Giroud is his lack of pace

Against the big teams you need pace in behind or they will push up on you and squeeze you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Against the big teams you need pace in behind or they will push up on you and squeeze you out

That's what Theo is for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errrrr he is a Front Man in the classic sense and he does that role very very well. Yes he does miss a few easy chances but he more than makes up for those misses with the goals he does score. Theo is our speed merchant.

However I do believe we should invest in a more clinical finisher if they are available if we do want to challenge for the title to play with Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wow the Giroud war is still going more than 24 hours later.......go for a walk guys , get some air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yeah but he has been here for what 3-4 years now. How do we not have a system to counteract this by now?

Also, surely Sanchez could be used for breaks. Giroud is the one defending corners,so who is up front when the opposition have a corner. Can they not be used for breaks?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/663962168241422336

Arsene got manager of the month, well deserved in my opinion. Kinda proves that for all the ink spilt over Arsenals "crisis", a crisis that mainly exists only in the media, it was actually an amazing month for us regardless of the Bayern away result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

In 30 years as a coach, I have never had my players injected so that they might perform better. I’m proud of that. I have played against a lot of teams who were not in the same frame of mind.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/663962168241422336

Arsene got manager of the month, well deserved in my opinion. Kinda proves that for all the ink spilt over Arsenals "crisis", a crisis that mainly exists only in the media, it was actually an amazing month for us regardless of the Bayern away result.

well deserved.
    During October we only had the mishap at Sheffield, 4 wins in the league and the win against Bayern (which I am not even sure if it counts towards the award).
    A very good month indeed. More of this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Giroud is most definately in the top 5 strikers in the premier league, off day yesterday, I think you will find all players have an off day!!

Player|Goals 2014/15|Goals 2015/16|Total|Games 2014/15|Games 2015/16|Total|Games per goal
    Aguero|26|6|32|33|8|41|1.28
    Costa|20|2|22|26|10|36|1.64
    Kane|21|6|27|34|12|46 |1.70
    Giroud|14|6|20|27|12|39|1.95
    Benteke|13|4|17|29|9|38|2.24
    Vardy|5|12|17|34 |12|46|2.71
    Pelle|12|6|18|38|12|50|2.78
    Berahino|14|3|17|38|10|48|2.82
    Lukaku|10|7|17|36|12|48|2.82
    Bony|11|2|13|30|10|40|3.08
    Rooney|12|2|14|33|11|44|3.14

Stats are fairly impressive in fairness. Had to make the table look pretty, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

L'prof wrote: »
    Stats are fairly impressive in fairness. Had to make the table look pretty, sorry :D

Giroud's stats aren't half bad at all. If he can maintain that record of scoring he'd end up in the top 10 for premier league goals per game, just behind Klinsmann and ahead of Yeboah (stats from this article).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

L'prof wrote: »

Giroud's stats are good but with the amount of chances we create a world class striker would have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Giroud's stats are good but with the amount of chances we create a world class striker would have a field day.

How many of those chances are purely down to Giroud's ability to act as a nexus for the team though? his hold up play and flicks onward create an awful lot of space for us, allowing the midfielders to quickly overlap on the flanks and overload our opponents. As frustrating as his finishing and work rate can be, without Giroud doing this we look very pedestrian when faced with a compact defence.

look forward to your goals per chances stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Giroud is useful against a compact defense.
    Giroud is very incompetent against a team who press.

This will remain an issue as long as the rest of our players are made of teflon. Even playing Welbeck would prevent Spurs from playing that way and ease the pressure on the rest of the team.

look forward to your goals per chances stats

You can get stats to fit anything.
    Giroud has done well but he's no Aguero.
    Just saying.

• Advertisement

You can get stats to fit anything.
    Giroud has done well but he's no Aguero.
    Just saying.

should be no issue for you backing up what you say then.

No one is saying, or has ever said, he's as good as Aguero.

should be no issue for you backing up what you say then.

No one is saying, or has ever said, he's as good as Aguero.

Back up what? That a world class striker would score more of the chances?
    Of course he would.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well deserved.
    During October we only had the mishap at Sheffield, 4 wins in the league and the win against Bayern (which I am not even sure if it counts towards the award).
    A very good month indeed. More of this please.

Well its the BPL manager of the month, League Cup and UCL wouldn't count.

Back up what? That a world class striker would score more of the chances?
    Of course he would.

what is Giroud's goal per chances ratio? What is the ratio of a "World Class Striker"???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tayto and EFB, lets not have one of your pointless tit for tats please, the international break will be long enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Jaafa wrote: »
    Wow.

Fair play to Arsene. Takes balls to say something like that. PED's seem to be swept under the carpet by the media and other managers alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

ironkiwi wrote: »

Goals 2014/15 Goals 2015/16 Total Games 2014/15 Games 2015/16 Total Games per goal
    Aguero 26 6 32 33 8 41 1.28
    Costa 20 2 22 26 10 36 1.64
    Kane 21 6 27 34 12 46 1.70
    Giroud 14 6 20 27 12 39 1.95
    Benteke 13 4 17 29 9 38 2.24
    Vardy 5 12 17 34 12 46 2.71
    Pelle 12 6 18 38 12 50 2.78
    Berahino 14 3 17 38 10 48 2.82
    Lukaku 10 7 17 36 12 48 2.82
    Bony 11 2 13 30 10 40 3.08
    Rooney 12 2 14 33 11 44 3.14

cough cough ....

that chart only covers the last 2 seasons. Take about cherry picking . you need to look at career.

Giroud is a considerable distance off Aguero .
    Aguero has 84 goals in 124 apps
    Giroud has 47 goals in 109 apps
    even Benteke who is behind Giroud in your chart woudl be ahead of him if you looked at PL careeer
    Benteke has 46 goals in 98 apps

so Aguero is streets ahead of Giroud , scoring loads of goals in a side that creates loads of chances.
    Benteke has a better scoring rate in a side that probably didnt create as many chances or have as much possesion as Arsenal
    Giroud well .. Giroud has an ok scoring rate in aside that creates loads of chances and has loads of possesion.. nothing remarkable, nothing world class about it.

Even Suarez had 69 goals in 110 apps..... thats world class.

Surely career doesn't indicate current form?

I'm sure Rooney has a great career record and does RvP

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cough cough ....

that chart only covers the last 2 seasons. Take about cherry picking . you need to look at career.

Giroud is a considerable distance off Aguero .
    Aguero has 84 goals in 124 apps
    Giroud has 47 goals in 109 apps
    even Benteke who is behind Giroud in your chart woudl be ahead of him if you looked at PL careeer
    Benteke has 46 goals in 98 apps

so Aguero is streets ahead of Giroud , scoring loads of goals in a side that creates loads of chances.
    Benteke has a better scoring rate in a side that probably didnt create as many chances or have as much possesion as Arsenal
    Giroud well .. Giroud has an ok scoring rate in aside that creates loads of chances and has loads of possesion.. nothing remarkable, nothing world class about it.

Nobody thinks he's world class, just that he's in the top 5 strikers in the league at this moment in time, which is a pretty fair thing to say or at least argue. Nobody thinks he's anywhere near Aguero, no-one in the entire PL is anywhere near Aguero since Suarez left. Himself and Benteke are pretty much on a par at the moment.

In fairness, it's a pretty poor season so far in the PL for strikers, Vardy is the only one lighting the place up and Aguero is injured, outside of Vardy you have a fair few strikers in pretty good form but no-one running away with it.

AdamD wrote: »
    Giroud is useful against a compact defense.
    Giroud is very incompetent against a team who press.

This will remain an issue as long as the rest of our players are made of teflon. Even playing Welbeck would prevent Spurs from playing that way and ease the pressure on the rest of the team.

Made of teflon, as in nothing sticks to them? :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nobody thinks he's world class, just that he's in the top 5 strikers in the league at this moment in time, which is a pretty fair thing to say. Nobody thinks he's anywhere near Aguero, no-one in the entire PL is anywhere near Aguero since Suarez left. Himself and Benteke are pretty much on a par at the moment.

In fairness, it's a pretty poor season so far in the PL for strikers, Vardy is the only one lighting the place up and Aguero is injured, outside of Vardy you have a fair few strikers in pretty good form but no-one running away with it.

actually hes not even that
    If you look purely at 2015/16
    He is in the Top 11 strikers in the league at this moment , trailing suc world class talent as Igahlo of Watford, Mahreezof Leicester and Winjadlm of NewC.

If you look at PL Careers hes probaly well outside the Top 10, if you look at 2015 hes only top 11, if you look at last 2 seasons and include players not in PL anymore then hes top 10, if you look at last 2 seasons and exclude players not in Pl anymore he is 5th.

btw alot of peopel are claiming hes some kind of world class striker.

Hes a good striker, does he miss a bucket load and easy chances ... yes he does , get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm really really done with the Giroud discussion but here's an article I saw earlier In the year.

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-15-most-lethal-strikers-premier-league-150817163101

actually hes not even that
    If you look purely at 2015/16
    He is in the Top 11 strikers in the league at this moment , trailing suc world class talent as Igahlo of Watford, Mahreezof Leicester and Winjadlm of NewC.

If you look at PL Careers hes probaly well outside the Top 10, if you look at 2015 hes only top 11, if you look at last 2 seasons and include players not in PL anymore then hes top 10, if you look at last 2 seasons and exclude players not in Pl anymore he is 5th.

btw alot of peopel are claiming hes some kind of world class striker.

Hes a good striker, does he miss a bucket load and easy chances ... yes he does , get over it.

I think you're wrong on the bolded part, he is tied 5th with a few more people (including Aguero who obviously has less games).

I'm really really done with the Giroud discussion but here's an article I saw earlier In the year.

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-15-most-lethal-strikers-premier-league-150817163101

good article , even Crystal Placae have TWO strikers ahead of Giroud.

So Giroud who plays for THE ARSENAL (famed for their possesion skill and attacking game) according to some stats is/was trailing such illustrious talent as Dwight Gayle, Glenn Murray of Palace, Igahalo of Watford, Mahreez of Leicester and Winjadlm of NewC.

you see statisics there a load of bollix if you take them at face value , put them in context and look at how they are connected to other things.

I think you're wrong on the bolded part, he is tied 5th with a few more people (including Aguero who obviously has less games).

you say tied 5th I say joint 11th.. who gives a ****.. he still misses bucket loads of easy chances

I assume it refers to the 2014-15 period, Ken?

Seeing Loic Remy at 6th place (if I recall correctly he didn't play much last year, mostly as a substitute), makes me think that this is not the full picture.
    I am surprised not to see Sanchez in this list. Do I recall correctly that he scored more goals than Giroud last season? I suppose he played more then.

I hope OG doesn't get injured sitting on the bench for Fra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I hope OG doesn't get injured sitting on the bench for Fra

How could he get injured sitting on the bench? have you stats to back up the chances of it happening? :pac:

Well hopefully he stays firmly on the bench for France but with Benzema not selected then surely he will play for them

He's joint third on 6 goals? I know being balanced in your views is anathema to the average internet boards poster but how is joint third 11th? He's not even 11th if you go alphabetical for each player on 6....there aren't even 11 players on 6 or more goals....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

How many of those chances are purely down to Giroud's ability to act as a nexus for the team though? his hold up play and flicks onward create an awful lot of space for us, allowing the midfielders to quickly overlap on the flanks and overload our opponents. As frustrating as his finishing and work rate can be, without Giroud doing this we look very pedestrian when faced with a compact defence.

I think this is an excellent point. His use to the team is under-rated by a lot, and he is a very good player. His finishing can be poor though and he's not a WC striker in the mould of Aguero. I think we can all agree on this? I still think he's a hugely valuable member of the squad, and is crucial to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I assume it refers to the 2014-15 period, Ken?

Seeing Loic Remy at 6th place (if I recall correctly he didn't play much last year, mostly as a substitute), makes me think that this is not the full picture.
    I am surprised not to see Sanchez in this list. Do I recall correctly that he scored more goals than Giroud last season? I suppose he played more then.

It refers to current PL STRIKERS(No Sanchez) and their goals to minute ratio It says It In the article...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement