Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's joint third on 6 goals? I know being balanced in your views is anathema to the average internet boards poster but how is joint third 11th? He's not even 11th if you go alphabetical for each player on 6....there aren't even 11 players on 6 or more goals....
    emmetlego wrote: »
    I think this is an excellent point. His use to the team is under-rated by a lot, and he is a very good player. His finishing can be poor though and he's not a WC striker in the mould of Aguero. I think we can all agree on this? I still think he's a hugely valuable member of the squad, and is crucial to us.

yep .. him and 6 other players are joint third... go celebrate mediocracy.

And in fact most if not ALL of the other strikers on the 2015 list have MORE assists than him this season. So they are not only scoring more or equal goals, but are also laying on more assists.

And if you go back to last season Giroud had a terrible assists stat of only 3!

Giroud is a slightly better bendtner, probably playing in a slightly better current squad team than bendter played in

Of course he adds something, he'd want to he his a French international ffs..
    but we could do with someone more clinical, better even..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I assume it refers to the 2014-15 period, Ken?

Seeing Loic Remy at 6th place (if I recall correctly he didn't play much last year, mostly as a substitute), makes me think that this is not the full picture.
    I am surprised not to see Sanchez in this list. Do I recall correctly that he scored more goals than Giroud last season? I suppose he played more then.

It says up to August 17 2015. It must be for a few seasons because it says it only includes players who've played 20 games or more and it has Sturridge there who only made 12 appearances last season. Seems all over the place tbh, Dwight Gayle has 12 PL goals in his entire career and is in 8th on the list so maybe it's 13/14 & 14/15 (he only had 54 appearances). Zarate is in 11th and has only scored 4 PL goals in his entire career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It says up to August 17 2015. It must be for a few seasons because it says it only includes players who've played 20 games or more and it has Sturridge there who only made 12 appearances last season. Seems all over the place tbh, Dwight Gayle has 12 PL goals in his entire career and is in 8th on the list so maybe it's 13/14 & 14/15 (he only had 54 appearances). Zarate is in 11th and has only scored 4 PL goals in his entire career.

Goals per minute played? It's not that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

yeah Zarate made the list because he has only played 8 games so his goals per minute ratio is good.

Another random list by the looks of things. The only thing you can extract from that is that Aguero is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

cough cough ....

that chart only covers the last 2 seasons. Take about cherry picking . you need to look at career.

Giroud is a considerable distance off Aguero .
    Aguero has 84 goals in 124 apps
    Giroud has 47 goals in 109 apps
    even Benteke who is behind Giroud in your chart woudl be ahead of him if you looked at PL careeer
    Benteke has 46 goals in 98 apps

so Aguero is streets ahead of Giroud , scoring loads of goals in a side that creates loads of chances.
    Benteke has a better scoring rate in a side that probably didnt create as many chances or have as much possesion as Arsenal
    Giroud well .. Giroud has an ok scoring rate in aside that creates loads of chances and has loads of possesion.. nothing remarkable, nothing world class about it.

Even Suarez had 69 goals in 110 apps..... thats world class.

Why would you consider stats from before two seasons ago? Hardly they would be more accurate in determining a striker's present quality. Giroud was adapting to the Premier League at that time, he's only getting used to it properly since he came back from injury.

And I don't see the point in comparing him to Suarez, Aguero or Lewandowski. I think everyone here agrees that they are a level above everyone else. We're never going to get any of those three so I don't see why you would be giving out about the situation.

World Class is an ambiguous term, I don't think it's fair to label players in such a subjective manner.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Irish Aris wrote: »
    yeah Zarate made the list because he has only played 8 games so his goals per minute ratio is good.

Another random list by the looks of things. The only thing you can extract from that is that Aguero is the best.

I'm thinking Zarate was a mistake on their part anyway, doesn't fit the 20 appearances criteria they had set out.

Transfer Deadline Day all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Basil3 wrote: »
    Transfer Deadline Day all over again

just an international break!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/474858/Man-Utd-opens-talks-Arsenal-hero-transferl-rock-Premier-League

United open talks with Sanchez says the article. Van Gaal has in been in contact according to the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Daily Star, good post mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RobertKK wrote: »
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/474858/Man-Utd-opens-talks-Arsenal-hero-transferl-rock-Premier-League

United open talks with Sanchez says the article. Van Gaal has in been in contact according to the report.

Poor trolling from the star, their readers have the IQ to fall for it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

y
    Giroud is a slightly better bendtner

OK. If you really believe that, I'm out of this conversation. It's clear we will never see eye to eye if that is your belief. We're poles apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's the kind of stats I like -

OptaJoe ✔ @OptaJoe
    10.5 - Mesut Ozil covered more ground (10.5 km) than any other Arsenal player against Tottenham. Energy.

I wonder what percentage of chances Giroud has converted? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

There's the kind of stats I like -

OptaJoe ✔ @OptaJoe
    10.5 - Mesut Ozil covered more ground (10.5 km) than any other Arsenal player against Tottenham. Energy.

I wonder what percentage of chances Giroud has converted? Anyone know?

20% according to squawka. 6 goals in 30 shots (16 of which on target).

Edit for comparison: Harry Kane has 6 goals in 32 shots (20 of which on target) and Aguero has 6 goals in 24 shorts (14 of which on target)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

20% according to squawka. 6 goals in 30 shots (16 of which on target).

That's not too bad although he should be hitting the target more from inside the 6 yard box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Have to say lads I'm all for discussion and debate but this Giroud 'discussion' is waste of time.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Have to say lads I'm all for discussion and debate but this Giroud 'discussion' is waste of time.

Why? What should we be discussing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

Couldnt agree more.

I wonder how close Gabriel is to replacing BFG in the starting 11. To be honest I would like to see Wenger buy another centre half.
    I maybe overly harsh but I really dont see Chambers ever becoming a top player for us.

efb wrote: »
    Why? What should we be discussing?

Because it's pointless, some people appreciate what he does others don't, the points have been discussed to death since Sunday and we are at the stage of rehashing already discussed points with no real change in stance from anybody.

What else to discuss? The many other Arsenal related topics.

I thought Wengers comment on not using injections to improve performance were very interesting I thought media would have jumped on it more.

ronjo wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more.

I wonder how close Gabriel is to replacing BFG in the starting 11. To be honest I would like to see Wenger buy another centre half.
    I maybe overly harsh but I really dont see Chambers ever becoming a top player for us.

I think we are seeing a gradual transition now, he has been increasing his playing time and I think is building his connection with Kos.

On Chambers he needs a season long loan to a West Ham, Newcastle or Sunderland type team

• Advertisement

Because it's pointless, some people appreciate what he does others don't, the points have been discussed to death since Sunday and we are at the stage of rehashing already discussed points with no real change in stance from anybody.

What else to discuss? The many other Arsenal related topics.

I thought Wengers comment on not using injections to improve performance were very interesting I thought media would have jumped on it more.

I thought I remember from when Wenger first game it was said they started taking cortisone. I could be totally wrong but I thought Lee Dixon said something about it before and how it helped extend his career.

I surely must be wrong though as Wenger wouldnt come out with it if it could be so easily challenged.

I think we are seeing a gradual transition now, he has been increasing his playing time and I think is building his connection with Kos.

On Chambers he needs a season long loan to a West Ham, Newcastle or Sunderland type team

Yes, good idea about the season long loan which would obviously increase the need for another centre half, most likely an experienced one too.

Hopefully this will lighten the mood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Hopefully this will lighten the mood

Lets hope he's back in action following the international break!

Soups123 wrote:
    Chambers is CB, full stop yes he can cover RB but 100% his future lies at CB, given Arsene the credit for knowing this and not just realising later.

looks like Arsenes experiment with Chambers as a CB is coming to an end... now if only someone had pointed that out like 1 year and 1 month ago....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92539129

Arsene is spending too much time worrying about his photoshoot with L'Esquire and not enough time on the team and what it needs.

Lets hope he's back in action following the international break!

Yes, really like the guy, and he's very funny which Is surprising!
    looks like Arsenes experiment with Chambers as a CB is coming to an end... now if only someone had pointed that out like 1 year and 1 month ago....

Arsene is spending too much time worrying about his photoshoot with L'Esquire and not enough time on the team and what it needs.

Mad looking back to last year. People telling me Chambers was a replacement for Verm and that Mert Isn't a liability :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

ronjo wrote:
    I thought I remember from when Wenger first game it was said they started taking cortisone

AFAIK it was creatine but I think he has stopped using this for quite some time. Think it was banned by rugby back then too and in a lot of countries.

FLOOPER wrote: »
    AFAIK it was creatine but I think he has stopped using this for quite some time. Think it was banned by rugby back then too and in a lot of countries.

Aha yes sorry you are right. It was creatine.

Agreed, it was never a level playing field when we went into the CL.

Barcelona .. and their high intensity pressing game with no let up and minimal squad rotation, 80 games a year for some players including CL and internationals.. yeah pull the other one its got bells on .
    The truth always comes out, might take a year might take 10 years but eventually we will find out.

FLOOPER wrote: »

Creatine banned? Crazy. I heard a radio programme a while back where they were talking about protein powder and creatine as if they were performance enhancing drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chambers is doing this season what he should have been doing last season

Mins here and there and working hard on training pitch, he will be a top quailty CB

I wouldn't be against buying another one in January though as my confidence in mert is gone and it's still too soon for chambers

Mins here and there and working hard on training pitch, he will be a top quailty CB

I wouldn't be against buying another one in January though as my confidence in mert is gone and it's still too soon for chambers

Offer Mert to Everton in cash and player deal???

thats been the story of Arsenes mgmt style the last few years ...
    always either 12 months too early or 12 months too late in what he is doing with a player.
    Living in hope or hindsight and regret .

always either 12 months too early or 12 months too late in what he is doing with a player.

That's a tad harsh- got it right with Coq, Bellerin and Monreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We 100% need another defender Mert has been great but he's getting on a bit now and has had a very poor start to the season this year

As much as i like Gabriel he's not a player i'd trust in big big games, He was all over the place against Bayern and against Chelsea he fell for the oldest trick in the book against the feicer Costa and paid for it with a red card which ended up costing us the game

Kos is superb 99.% of the time , he does have the occasional brain fart like last sunday but he is human I'd love another big strong cb coming in but to be honest I can't see it happening to be honest

Chambers does not fill me with confidence at all when we bought him off southampton we should have loaned him back for the year

efb wrote: »
    That's a tad harsh- got it right with Coq, Bellerin and Monreal

Coq.. Wengers about 24 months late on that one, we had been crying out for a good DM for years only now we have that hole plugged... will leave it there...

anyone know where Wenger will spend most of the International break... did someone mention French TV and international friendlies... now if only there was some work to be done back at the ranch with the players not on international duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Coq.. Wengers about 24 months late on that one, we had been crying out for a good DM for years only now we have that hole plugged... will leave it there...

anyone know where Wenger will spend most of the International break... did someone mention French TV and international friendlies... now if only there was some work to be done back at the ranch with the players not on international duty.
    I'm sure he will be on the training pitch pretty much every day. If he does do French TV for a couple of evenings it's not like he's travelling half way round the World is it? Bottom line is he's workaholic and completely obsessed with football. I really don't think you can question his commitment to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    I'm sure he will be on the training pitch pretty much every day. If he does do French TV for a couple of evenings it's not like he's travelling half way round the World is it? Bottom line is he's workaholic and completely obsessed with football. I really don't think you can question his commitment to Arsenal.

Why let the truth get in the way of a pessimistic story?? :-)

That was a bit random digging up an old post of mine about Chambers, I still think 100% he will be a CB. I think a loan will help that. Not sure what digging out that post is meant to show?

As ES said he is doing this year what he should have been doing last year, building and developing his game in a controlled manner rather than being thrown in deep end.

I still hold out hope for Chambers becoming a Gary Cahill type centre half

• Advertisement

I'm not his biggest fan these days but this is just plain wrong. Its actually just made up always 12 months too early or 12 months too late??

He has his flaws but identifing and building talent has never been one. He doesnt spend as much as we like but when he does he gets it on the money more time than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where are you even getting this from? There's nothing to suggest Chambers 'experiment' at CB is coming to an end.

AdamD wrote: »
    Where are you even getting this from? There's nothing to suggest Chambers 'experiment' at CB is coming to an end.

me suspects he use the Anglo Approximation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Wenger out, ColonialBoy in?

Really enjoyed reading Wenger's interview. He's the reason I follow how Arsenal are doing, attend the Emirates and watch Arsenal hoping they win. Dunno what I'll do when he leaves, and God I hope they win the league before he does leave, that would be the best thing to watch ever.

For me, they are such a great team to watch under him. Pep is the only other manager for me. But Wenger still has something special over Pep I think.

symbolic wrote: »
    Wenger out, ColonialBoy in?

Really enjoyed reading Wenger's interview. He's the reason I follow how Arsenal are doing, attend the Emirates and watch Arsenal hoping they win. Dunno what I'll do when he leaves, and God I hope they win the league before he does leave, that would be the best thing to watch ever.

For me, they are such a great team to watch under him. Pep is the only other manager for me. But Wenger still has something special over Pep I think.

If this were 10-20 years ago I'd share your sentiment. But In this day and age I'm not sure what Wenger has over Pep? It's funny how I was laughed at for saying Rooney etc are good players and told that their history doesn't matter yet In every managerial debate Wengers history Is all that gets talked about. (Not aimed at you Symbolic)

If this were 10-20 years ago I'd share your sentiment. But In this day and age I'm not sure what Wenger has over Pep?

I think I've bought into the whole, how did his barca team play so many games that time. I loved watching them, but I think in the back of my mind there is some doubt :) I loved watching that team though!

And the fact that they were littered with some of the best players in the world. Peps had it easy :)

Also I think Rooney is a great player ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

If this were 10-20 years ago I'd share your sentiment. But In this day and age I'm not sure what Wenger has over Pep? It's funny how I was laughed at for saying Rooney etc are good players and told that their history doesn't matter yet In every managerial debate Wengers history Is all that gets talked about. (Not aimed at you Symbolic)

Wengers won 2 cups recently. Rooney has been a joke last two seasons. big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

symbolic wrote: »
    I think I've bought into the whole, how did his barca team play so many games that time. I loved watching them, but I think in the back of my mind there is some doubt :) I loved watching that team though!

And the fact that they were littered with some of the best players in the world. Peps had it easy :)

Also I think Rooney is a great player ;)

I dont get all the love in for pep if im honest. He had a Barca squad that was superior to anything else in the world at the time. Yes he won a pile of trophies and retired a club legend but look at the players he was working with. He then went to Bayern, another team littered with some of the top players in the world.
    Im not saying he's not a great manager but id like to see what he could do with an average squad and limited spending funds.
    I may not like Mourinho but he took Porto from nowhere to win a CL and Inter who were in disarray to win a CL proving himself to be a top manager (even if he is spoiling it all now with his ridiculous behaviour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

People (or maybe just myself) give Wenger lee-way not just because of what he achieved in the past but because of the circumstances he had to work under in more recent years. It would be like Rooney having to play in 15 year old Boots and still expecting him to be top goalscorer every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont get all the love in for pep if im honest. He had a Barca squad that was superior to anything else in the world at the time. Yes he won a pile of trophies and retired a club legend but look at the players he was working with. He then went to Bayern, another team littered with some of the top players in the world.
    Im not saying he's not a great manager but id like to see what he could do with an average squad and limited spending funds.
    I may not like Mourinho but he took Porto from nowhere to win a CL and Inter who were in disarray to win a CL proving himself to be a top manager (even if he is spoiling it all now with his ridiculous behaviour)
    I honestly don't think Mourinho is a great manager. He knows how to get the best out of a team on a short term basis. He's never left a team better than when he joined

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement