Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Quazzie wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Mourinho is a great manager. He knows how to get the best out of a team on a short term basis. He's never left a team better than when he joined

Porto and chelsea first time around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

kellso81 wrote: »

Unless I'm mistaken he left Porto in debt, so they had to sell a lot of their star players and he left Avram Grant a side dejected and unable to perform. The core of his successes came from players bought or developed by Ranieri. All he did was get them to play at their peak for a short successful period. As soon as things turned sour he bolted,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Unless I'm mistaken he left Porto in debt, so they had to sell a lot of their star players and he left Avram Grant a side dejected and unable to perform. The core of his successes came from players bought or developed by Ranieri. All he did was get them to play at their peak for a short successful period. As soon as things turned sour he bolted,

Definitely agree on Porto. He left them after winning the Champions League and it was all downhill after that. Funnily enough I was reading an article recently about his return to Porto with Chelsea and it was saying that AVB actually got more of a hero's welcome when he went back than Jose did.

In terms of Chelsea on the first occasion you're maybe being a little harsh. They did go on to reach the Champions League final that season. Not exactly leaving them in a terrible state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

kellso81 wrote: »

The Chelsea team Roman bought made the Champion's League final with Avram Grant the next season.

If he hadn't called himself The bleedin Special One and given the press all those nasty little soundbites, that management period would be remembered as an achievement in the same way Di Matteo winning the Champion's League is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I honestly don't think Mourinho is a great manager. He knows how to get the best out of a team on a short term basis. He's never left a team better than when he joined

Is that really something that you go around judging managers on?

Very much so. It's one of the reasons I have massive respect for Wenger. He has many downfalls, which I've been quite vocal on here in the past but I know he'll leave the club better than he got it. Another is Klopp in my opinion with Dortmund. He came in at a time when they were not playing to potential, and he changed that. He fulfilled their potential, and when it went bad for him, he left, but the club is still doing well. Their current standing is better than when he joined.

'Arry is another example of a manager who has left every club he has ever managed in a worse position than when he joined, but that's down to a whole different set of reasons to Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

In almost all other walks of life it is. Why should football be any different? Clubs are bigger than any one individual after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I was just listening to the Football Weekly podcast from Monday night on the way into work this morning and they reckon that the only team that Spurs have never finished above since the start of the Premier League is Arsenal :D

I knew they'd never finished above Arsenal in the PL era but was never aware we were the only team they could never finish above. They gotta hate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

G1032 wrote: »
    I was just listening to the Football Weekly podcast from Monday night on the way into work this morning and they reckon that the only team that Spurs have never finished above since the start of the Premier League is Arsenal :D

I knew they'd never finished above Arsenal in the PL era but was never aware we were the only team they could never finish above. They gotta hate that :)

Did they not fiinish ahead of us in 1995?

ronjo wrote: »
    Did they not fiinish ahead of us in 1995?

I didn't actually check it out. Just what the lads on the Football Weekly were saying.

Edit. Nope. We were 4th in 1995. They were 6th

Edit 2 - Noooooooo
    They finished ahead of us in 1992/93

Just as well I didn't go around slagging any Sp*rs fans at work :-)

• Advertisement

I didn't actually check it out. Just what the lads on the Football Weekly were saying.

No way were we 4th in 95.
    Around Easter we were just outside the relegation zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We finished 12th 94/95 season and they finished 7th I think, so they were definitely ahead of us in that shocking season.

Edit 2 - Noooooooo
    They finished ahead of us in 1992/93

Just as well I didn't go around slagging any Sp*rs fans at work :-)

Yes, that year too.. From what I remember we drew on the last day and they passed us out.
    So basically the finished ahead of us twice in the first 3 years of it. THese lads really know their stuff. :pac:

No way were we 4th in 95.
    Around Easter we were just outside the relegation zone.
    We finished 12th 94/95 season and they finished 7th I think, so they were definitely ahead of us in that shocking season.

I apologise. I was checking the tables on the PL website but it never refreshed for me when I clicked into the 94/95 season.

Well it was a nice story for a while!! Damn you Football Weekly anyway. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I apologise. I was checking the tables on the PL website but it never refreshed for me when I clicked into the 94/95 season.

Well it was a nice story for a while!! Damn you Football Weekly anyway. :o

Yeah, it's only been 20 years. Sounds much better for Spurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think the correct stat is:

Since Arsène Wenger became manager of Arsenal, Spurs have finished above every club in the Premier League except one (can you guess which one?!).

And, for a bonus, Arsenal finished Top Four in 23 of 92 seasons before Arsène Wenger became manager. Under him, it's 19 from 19 seasons.

Sacksian wrote: »
    I think the correct stat is:

Since Arsène Wenger became manager of Arsenal, Spurs have finished above every club in the Premier League except one (can you guess which one?!).

And, for a bonus, Arsenal finished Top Four in 23 of 92 seasons before Arsène Wenger became manager. Under him, it's 19 from 19 seasons.

That bonus stat is unbelievably impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

That bonus stat is unbelievably impressive.

Yeah, I went to check it here, just to be sure!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arsenal_F.C._seasons

It might actually be 26 before Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The Chelsea team Roman bought made the Champion's League final with Avram Grant the next season.

If he hadn't called himself The bleedin Special One and given the press all those nasty little soundbites, that management period would be remembered as an achievement in the same way Di Matteo winning the Champion's League is.

And all the other managers who have gotten record point totals in the league can attest to that-oh wait.

I'm prone to a Jose dig as much as the next man but before the Madrid move he was probably the best manager in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I agree Im not sure about that Jose fella...
    After all he only went 9 years unbeaten at home in his respective leagues .
    I think thats astonishing...

Between 23 February 2002 and 2 April 2011, Mourinho went 150 home league matches unbeaten: 38 (W36–D2) with Porto, 60 (W46–D14) with Chelsea, 38 (W29–D9) with Internazionale and 14 (W14–D0) with Real Madrid. The run was broken by Sporting de Gijón on 2 April 2011, when they defeated Real Madrid 1–0 at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in La Liga. After the match, Mourinho entered Gijón's dressing room and congratulated them. His only prior home league defeat had come when Porto lost 3–2 to Beira-Mar on 23 February 2002.

seems some people are so sensitive they cant complement another team/managers achivements nor accept criticism for their own team/managers failings.

I agree Im not sure about that Jose fella...
    After all he only went 9 years unbeaten at home in his respective leagues .
    I think thats astonishing...

Between 23 February 2002 and 2 April 2011, Mourinho went 150 home league matches unbeaten: 38 (W36–D2) with Porto, 60 (W46–D14) with Chelsea, 38 (W29–D9) with Internazionale and 14 (W14–D0) with Real Madrid. The run was broken by Sporting de Gijón on 2 April 2011, when they defeated Real Madrid 1–0 at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in La Liga. After the match, Mourinho entered Gijón's dressing room and congratulated them. His only prior home league defeat had come when Porto lost 3–2 to Beira-Mar on 23 February 2002.

seems some people are so sensitive they cant complement another team/managers achivements nor accept criticism for their own team/managers failings.
    Not once did I ever state Mourinho was a bad manager. In fact, I think you'll find I've stated plenty of times before he is a very effective manager. All I did was point out that his style suits him being a journeyman because his style of management is not designed for longevity, and thus he needs to move on after short periods to stop him being attached to the inevitable rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

5star02707 wrote: »

I'd say he's also got the record for number of needless two-footed knee-high flying tackles per match, season, and calendar year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd say he's also got the record for number of needless two-footed knee-high flying tackles per match, season, and calendar year.

Ryan Shawcross???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As far as refs go he seems to be the polar opposite of Charlie Adam. It feels like the thug from Stoke needs to commit 4 - 5 seriously dodgy fouls before a yellow card is shown. Poor old Mathieu is never granted that lee-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I love the Flamster. He was a great player for us in his first stint, and by-golly, he's had great cameos for us lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just after seeing that Martin Fulop died at 32 :eek: Remember he became a bit of a cult hero for gifting us that 3-2 win against West Brom that got us into the Champions League a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

What a boon that Ozil is being rested for the Internationals.

Have a bad feeling about Alexis though, it will be the usual 100 mph no holes barred South American slug fest....fingers crossed he comes though ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    What a boon that Ozil is being rested for the Internationals.

Have a bad feeling about Alexis though, it will be the usual 100 mph no holes barred South American slug fest....fingers crossed he comes though ok.

Wenger should be on the phone to them telling them not to use him too much or not at all.
    These are only friendlies.
    No point complaining when the damage is done al la Ramsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Wenger should be on the phone to them telling them not to use him too much or not at all.

Think the Chile games are qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

True, but Wenger just needs to learn to rest him when he's tired. I know there's the temptation to throw Alexis into every game in which we need a win hoping for some magic, but he's looked like a guy who's not had a proper holiday in a year. Watching him in person against Bayern at home his movement off the ball was like a Sunday league player. Wenger really needs to learn to just drop him once in a while and let him recharge his batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Chile are playing World Cup qualifiers. They've just gone 1 up through Vidal against Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Just finished 1 all, full 90 for Alexis. Went down a few times but nothing too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Just finished 1 all, full 90 for Alexis. Went down a few times but nothing too bad.

That's dedication right there! What time did the match finish? 01:20?

Wenger can't ask Chile to rest Alexis tbf

How's the gooners this AM? Any injury updates from the internationals?

This is what I was up to last evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

efb wrote: »
    How's the gooners this AM? Any injury updates from the internationals?

This is what I was up to last evening!

I've more pictures of you than I have of my kids at this stage..........

Nice dikeybow

Soups123 wrote: »
    I've more pictures of you than I have of my kids at this stage..........

Nice dikeybow

4 pictures???

Take more pictures of your kids tbf

4 pictures???

Take more pictures of your kids tbf

I can't there ugly fookers I only keep the ones that turn out well, I've got 2 of the 4 of them................

I joke they are as handsome as there father

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I can't there ugly fookers I only keep the ones that turn out well, I've got 2 of the 4 of them................

I joke they are as handsome as there father

I'm sure they are adorable!

Any hope against Benson & Hedges tonight???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

well, I don't think they are better than Ireland, just that they have a couple of individuals that could make a difference.
    A draw would be great, or a 2-1 defeat at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well, I don't think they are better than Ireland, just that they have a couple of individuals that could make a difference.
    A draw would be great, or a 2-1 defeat at least.

Jesus, It's like when people on here talk about playing away to Palace...

If Ireland were palace & B&H were Arsenal perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am not sure what you mean. . .

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean. . .

Fixed

There's always hope, I think we are capable of a draw, they have some individually good players but thats easier to defend against than a well oiled team.

I've backed Bosnia but we are capable of sneaking the draw. Football can throw out some surprise results I'm worried Hungry took this rounds quota last night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I see Sanogo is doing as well as he always has.

https://twitter.com/AssistantOzil/status/665181637647429632

I actually thought that he'd develop past his ungainly state, but more fool me. He just doesn't seem like a footballer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I actually thought that he'd develop past his ungainly state, but more fool me. He just doesn't seem like a footballer at all.

Bambi on ice, with dyspraxia!

All hope is lost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

His confidence has to be at an all time low. Doesn't look like a footballer at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement