Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So another window will go by where we will not strengthen or attempt to, but our rivals will?

Probably. Unless some of the injured players are not healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

So another window will go by where we will not strengthen or attempt to, but our rivals will?

Well obviously we cannot say for sure but Man Utd have been outspending us by a hell of a lot lately and there is no reason to think that it wont continue.

Top players generally dont move in January so hopefully that will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ronjo wrote: »
    Well obviously we cannot say for sure but Man Utd have been outspending us by a hell of a lot lately and there is no reason to think that it wont continue.

Top players generally dont move in January so hopefully that will happen again.
    Especially in the window before a major tournament.

We have a bunch of LANS signings coming our way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Basil3 wrote: »

:confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I cant see any major transfers coming in the january window, not just for us but for other clubs either. Not the best time for a player to be moving, especially if he is playing in the euros next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

wonga77 wrote: »
    I cant see any major transfers coming in the january window, not just for us but for other clubs either. Not the best time for a player to be moving, especially if he is playing in the euros next summer

January 2012 window
    Chelsea signed Gary Cahill and Kevin de Bruyne
    City signed Pizarro

January 2014 transfer window
    Chelsea signed Matic and Zouma
    Man United signed Mata

Players will move but not to Arsenal as we tend to only sin injured players or free agents. January 2014 was criminal by Wenger.

No point in hoping for anything after the mess of this summer (and previous years).

Not to mention Suarez,sturridge,Evra,Vidic etc

Pudders wrote: »
    January 2012 window
    City signed Pizarro

Man United signed Mata

Players will move but not to Arsenal as we tend to only sin injured players or free agents. January 2014 was criminal by Wenger.

No point in hoping for anything after the mess of this summer (and previous years).

Yeah but my point was nobodys gonna move before the euros

• Advertisement

January 2012 window
    City signed Pizarro

Man United signed Mata

Oh you will all stop mocking after this happens :pac:

MESSI HEADED TO ENGLAND. OR NOT.
    Do you want the good news or the bad news first, Arsenal fans?
    Well, Lionel Messi wants to join you. But he wants a weekly wage of £600,000 before tax, and has a buy-out clause in excess of £175million.
    So says the Daily Star, whose EXCLUSIVE reveals that the Barcelona forward is open to a move to England due to his current ordeal with the tax authorities in Spain. Arsenal are thought to be his favoured club if he lands on these shores, but, you know, money. A lot of money. Too much money. No chance.

an exclusive by the daily star - seems legit

Man United signed Mata

This example is a bit of a perfect storm, though. Mata is well out of favour, happy to move. United willing to pay crazy money. Chelsea also willing to buy back a player they sold for much less. Zouma is only a young back-up defender, so a nothing transfer really.

This is pretty different to Arsenal trying to get in a world class striker from somewhere, or even a backup DM who is willing to risk sitting on the bench in the leadup to Euros.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yeah but my point was nobodys gonna move before the euros
    People move before Euro's, world cups etc all the time.

ronjo wrote: »
    Oh you will all stop mocking after this happens :pac:

MESSI HEADED TO ENGLAND. OR NOT.
    Do you want the good news or the bad news first, Arsenal fans?
    Well, Lionel Messi wants to join you. But he wants a weekly wage of £600,000 before tax, and has a buy-out clause in excess of £175million.
    So says the Daily Star, whose EXCLUSIVE reveals that the Barcelona forward is open to a move to England due to his current ordeal with the tax authorities in Spain. Arsenal are thought to be his favoured club if he lands on these shores, but, you know, money. A lot of money. Too much money. No chance.
    I'm not mocking anybody. Hahaha gotta love the Daily Star. £600,000 sure that's nothing :pac: sell Sanchez,Ozil,Giroud,Walcott,Cazorla and Cech and we'll be able to justify It.

People move before Euro's, world cups etc all the time.

I'm not mocking anybody. Hahaha gotta love the Daily Star. £600,000 sure that's nothing :pac: sell Sanchez,Ozil,Giroud,Walcott,Cazorla and Cech and we'll be able to justify It.

I am sure the Uzbek would be happy to pay his wages to get him to Arsenal.
    Easy peasy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Must be "Like A New Signing" :pac:

• Advertisement

Must be "Like A New Signing" :pac:

Oh yeah, sorry. I thought every Arsenal fan knew what LANS was.

Welbeck and Jack will be LANS. Don't think anyone else has been out long enough this season to justify the tag.

Welbeck and Jack will be LANS. Don't think anyone else has been out long enough this season to justify the tag.

Rosicky also...... havent heard of LANS either I must say.

So we have another chance to go top on Saturday afternoon and then have to cheer on Liverpool in the evening game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What does it actually stand for ? (Excuse the ignorance !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

greendom wrote: »

Like a new signing!

greendom wrote: »

Like A New Signing

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    Like a new signing!

D'OH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sanchez is a doubt for the Uruguay game with a calf problem.

That's worsened since this morning when he was a doubt with fatigue?

Did think it odd that our very own Duracell bunny could get fatigue, but I suppose everything is possible!

Be good for him to take a break tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I hope Sanchez takes it easy and sits a couple of games...he's looked knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

knowing our luck we will then sell a player(injured player of ours for rest of the season) so it kind of evens itself out

in comes wellbeck and jack for free during the winter transfer window and out comes walcott and sanchez

Even back in 2009, Wenger was talking about players being 'like a new signing'.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-injured-quartet-are-new-signings-
    But perhaps the biggest boost to Arsenal's chances of a successful season will be the return of Eduardo, Theo Walcott, Cesc Fabregas and Tomas Rosicky.
    "Eduardo has recovered very well and his coming back will be like a new signing as well. He will be back in two to three weeks [in the first team]."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm looking forward to Welbeck coming back j see good portential in him

Where do we add in January

Maybe a right back if we leave debuchy go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

We really need another DM.

Ah feck off with your LANS :pac:
    I spent ages looking for a meaning not wanting to look stupid.
    In future i'll read all the posts from the newest to the old.:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We really need another DM.

Think this will be a case of we can't get who we want so we wait

Think this will be a case of we can't get who we want so we wait

I think Wenger sees Jack as a future DM.
    I see him as a permanent injury risk though and would like proper cover for Coq.

I think Wenger sees Jack as a future DM.
    I see him as a permanent injury risk though and would like proper cover for Coq.

I doubt it.
    When Wilshere was played at DM for England, Wenger said he didn't think Jack could play there and preferred him further forward.

I'll try find a link after.
    Personally i don't think he has the composer or defensive mind to play there. You'd also be wasting so much of his talent by keeping him that far back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wilshere said a few weeks ago he prefers playing deeper. Long term we need Ramsey or Wilshere playing deep, can't see Cazorla lasting much more than another 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I doubt it.
    When Wilshere was played at DM for England, Wenger said he didn't think Jack could play there and preferred him further forward.

I'll try find a link after.
    Personally i don't think he has the composer or defensive mind to play there. You'd also be wasting so much of his talent by keeping him that far back.

Pretty sure Wilshere plays DM for England and he's gotten 6 motm in his past 6 games for them.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Wilshere plays DM for England and he's gotten 6 motm in his past 6 games for them.

He plays centre mid.
    Normally with Henderson and him interchanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He plays deeper than Henderson

He plays centre mid.
    Normally with Henderson and him interchanging.

Does he not play at the back of a diamond?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

AdamD wrote: »
    Wilshere said a few weeks ago he prefers playing deeper. Long term we need Ramsey or Wilshere playing deep, can't see Cazorla lasting much more than another 12 months

Wilshere might prefer it, but he tends to get too sucked into the ball to play the position properly. You can't be the deep lying midielder and look to run it into the opposition half every time you get the ball.

Reminds me of Song saying he preferred playing attacking mid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Jack did play DM for England in qualifying. And the commentators were raving about his ability to play long passes, dribble out of trouble and burst up-field from that position.

However, and it's an absolutely massive however, England were playing very poor teams and he was essentially playing a free-role - dribbling past people, popping up on the edge of the box, often ahead of Henderson - which didn't seem very planned.

Glenn Hoddle was going on about how amazing all the midfielders were at switching positions, but that seemed to be fairly haphazard and I think a midfield of Delph, Henderson and Wilshere would be destroyed if played regularly against decent opposition.

I genuinely don't believe he has the discipline to play that role. I think the most important development Jack has ahead of him is mental - get his head down and work out how he can help the team best on the pitch, rather than just deciding he has a "natural" game that has to be accommodated.

He has a lot of talent but, like Aaron Ramsey, he's not good enough to sacrifice other players for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm looking forward to Welbeck coming back j see good portential in him

Where do we add in January

Maybe a right back if we leave debuchy go

Would we not just recall Jenks? Seems the logical move to me.

Looking forward to seeing Welbeck back myself still don't think we have seen enough if him yet to really judge him.

On Wilshere I just want to see him fit and playing again I don't care what people say about I still think he can be a fantastic player if he can just stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

On Wilshere I just want to see him fit and playing again I don't care what people say about I still think he can be a fantastic player if he can just stay injury free.

Agree with this completely, often the best midfielder on the pitch when he's fit.

Would we not just recall Jenks? Seems the logical move to me.

Looking forward to seeing Welbeck back myself still don't think we have seen enough if him yet to really judge him.

I would like to see him re-model his playing style to that of Xabi Alonso/Pirlo (control the play), In that way he can stay injury free too I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I would like to see him re-model his playing style to that of Xabi Alonso/Pirlo (control the play), In that way he can stay injury free too I guess.

Not sure how I feel about telling him to curb his natural game, and I'm not sure Wenger would tell him to do it either. That said, some of the injuries he gets are by bombing at people, flicking it away from them at the last moment and getting creamed. Obvious fouls but he can't keep on doing this either.

It a difficult one, coaching one of his strengths out of him but the carrot of staying injury free.

For that to happen he would want to change his style a bit. He takes the ball into the tackle far too often risking both injury and dispossession. I love Jack though, he's so exuberant and Arsenal through and through.

• Advertisement

If he wants to stay fit in a league like premier league, he has to re-model his game...Like you folks said he holds on to the ball too long and invites tackles/kicks...when your ankles are made of glass you can't do that. You have to change your game and many people do to prolong/have a decent career otherwise we'll be looking at LANS prospect every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Loving the new acronym... A Wenger LANS. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I would love, love Jack to just copy Marco Verratti. I think he's a really great footballer, with a similar skillset to Jack: fantastic close control, great at finding pockets in between lines and getting out of trouble in tight spaces, but he plays much deeper and is obviously more defensive-minded.

To be honest, I was a bit soured on Jack last year when he was (nominally) playing on the right wing and kept roaming inside, with and without the ball, squeezing the space available to Ozil and Cazorla. I just thought it suggested he felt he was too good to stay out there and hold the shape, which is what the team needed - or else he just didn't see it. And the interview with the Mail where he talked about the rumours of a move to City (the first I had heard of them was the interview!) rang a few alarm bells for me too - it was a bit un-Arsenal! Having said that, if he works his way back into the first eleven, I'll be delighted.

More generally, Wenger has talked up the English/British core at the club for a few years, but it hasn't really happened, has it? Of the 6 (Gibbs, Jenks, Ramsey, Jack, Theo, Ox), only Ramsey is a nailed-on first-XI player and that's not even in his preferred position (he's important for balance though, with Sanchez on the opposite wing). I just can't see who gets dropped for Jack?

The player I'm most interested to see come back in is Danny Welbeck - only because the team still need something more than Theo or OG up front. Danny suits Alexis better than Giroud and long balls out from the back are more likely to stick than with Theo, but he can do the quick breaks too. *Could* be interesting!

Anyone know if Dan Crowley has declared for England instead of us?
    Saw on the Ireland v Bosnia thread that he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyone know if Dan Crowley has declared for England instead of us?
    Saw on the Ireland v Bosnia thread that he did.

Glory hunter... Waits until we qualify!!!

Must say the tributes at the start of the Eng V Fra game were exceptionally well observed. Very touching. Also look like the Ger V Holl game was abandoned after a truck bomb was found outside the stadium in an ambulance. I wonder will this new ISIS surge have any effect on the BPL...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement