Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Feck the cups. I want the league.

We will never have the squad for it under this regime though. Injuries are to be expected now but adequate backup will never arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Quazzie wrote: »
    Myhill booked for timewasting in the 91st minute and he still only played the exact 4 minutes. That's a bit shít isn't it?

Anyways, we decent today, but we lacked the quality to finish when it mattered and Arteta singlehandedly made sure we lost this one.

One man lost it for us, but eleven men failed to win it for us also.

I think bellerin was at fault for both goals, more than arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He is gonna have to buy a DM in Jan now

How many times have we heard that. Sure when Coquelin comes back it will be like a new signing, same with Welbeck so we dont have to sign another forward :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

And he will have to pay over the odds to get him

As an aside per and Campbell are stone useless

It's expectations that will drive you insane, you know it ain't going to happen'

We've been in worse positions this time of the year and he hasn't budged it won't change now.

The summer before we see a decent signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

And he will have to pay over the odds to get him

He needed a DM in the summer so I wouldnt hold my breath.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How many times have we heard that. Sure when Coquelin comes back it will be like a new signing, same with Welbeck so we dont have to sign another forward :pac:

I'd actually take Welbeck as the forward, don't no why but I like him

Need the DM though

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's expectations that will drive you insane, you know it ain't going to happen'

We've been in worse positions this time of the year and he hasn't budged it won't change now.

The summer before we see a decent signing

Not this time, Ye have to at least challenge for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not this time, Ye have to at least challenge for the title

100% agree but I really don't see anything changing in January. Our only hope is players come back and we stay fit

A bench with Wilshire, Welbeck, Walcott etc. Changes games like today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

We ain't winning the league.

It's not a knee jerk reaction, Just a hunch.

November isn't a great month for us for some weird reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think bellerin was at fault for both goals, more than arteta
    One of them was an OG scored by Arteta. How are you pinning that one on Bellerin?

Also for the first goal Arteta never once looked at the ball coming* in so he didn't know what to defend against. For me he was the clear fault for both goals.

*from a freekick he gave away also.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    100% agree but I really don't see anything changing in January. Our only hope is players come back and we stay fit

A bench with Wilshire, Welbeck, Walcott etc. Changes games like today

We need them players too

I wanted a DM in summer but I thought arteta and flamini could do job if needed, Wenger obivoulsy thought so too

We now no they can't so it must be addressed in January and if it's not Wenger is playing with fire

Quazzie wrote: »
    One of them was an OG scored by Arteta. How are you pinning that one on Bellerin?

Also for the first goal Arteta never once looked at the ball coming* in so he didn't know what to defend against. For me he was the clear fault for both goals.

*from a freekick he gave away also.

Watch the second again, anyone could see mccleans run a mile off. Bellerin let him go until it was too late

Maybe a 50/50 cock up by both for second
    Don't think it was a free either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Leicester top of the league.

I find it amazing what can happen when your striker is consistent.

I find it amazing what can happen when your striker is consistent.

Do you mean when the team consistently plays the same striker? Giroud has consistently scored goals for us in the league when he has played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Arteta was absolute clown shoes today.

Everyone was shíte bar Monreal, Ozil and Alexis.

You don't win the league by losing to West Brom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

I think Chelsea managed it last year?

Disappointing result. Shame Cazorla slipped.... bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Wenger fcuked up today once again.
    Why select Gibbs, he's useless. In fairness Campbell wasn't much better when introduced.
    But my main gripe is why he chose to put Arteta on when Coq was injured.
    Surely Flamini has had more game time recently and was a better bet to replace Coq. Arteta cost us at least one goal plus another substitution.
    Flamini was the obvious choice to replace Coq.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Very disappointing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Arteta was absolute clown shoes today.

Everyone was shíte bar Monreal, Ozil and Alexis.

I'm sure even the minimum research will disprove that theory !

awful today, a very depressing perfotrmance and everything conspired against us. Hopefully Coquelin is back pdq. We struggle without him

• Advertisement

wow, Aguero is on a completely different planet to any other striker in the league.

I like Giroud but he trails a long way behind in his wake.

Liverpool winning is a good result

city looking a shambles in defence is good too!

I think Wenger fcuked up today once again.
    Why select Gibbs, he's useless. In fairness Campbell wasn't much better when introduced.
    But my main gripe is why he chose to put Arteta on when Coq was injured.
    Surely Flamini has had more game time recently and was a better bet to replace Coq. Arteta cost us at least one goal plus another substitution.
    Flamini was the obvious choice to replace Coq.

Yeah, strange choices. Maybe he has one eye on Tuesday, I dunno. Can't imagine it's because he's holding back the likes of Campbell and Flamini for that match.

I really don't get the grief Gibbs get. He offers as much as Campbell going forward, more going back.....and he doesn't run like his legs are made of wood. Something pretty important for a footballer, imo.

Puts them 6 behind us.

Puts them 6 behind us.

Better then City 3 clear of us. Its a lifeline. Luckily for us there is no stand out team this season so as shíte as todays performance was we can still believe.

• Advertisement

Better then City 3 clear of us. Its a lifeline. Luckily for us there is no stand out team this season so as shíte as todays performance was we can still believe.

My point exactly

First team to put a run together will win this league it's wide open and void of real top quality

Arseblog sum it up well for Arteta:
    The lightning rod: never a foul for the first, unlucky to be on hand (literally) to deflect a cross that should never have been allowed to come in, but injured again though, and that's happening too often now.

First defeat in gold today :( The invincible shirt is no more

:pac:

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, strange choices. Maybe he has one eye on Tuesday, I dunno. Can't imagine it's because he's holding back the likes of Campbell and Flamini for that match.

I really don't get the grief Gibbs get. He offers as much as Campbell going forward, more going back.....and he doesn't run like his legs are made of wood. Something pretty important for a footballer, imo.

Gibbs is on the panel since 2007 and has proven time and time again to be quite useless imo. He offers absolutely nothing and is afraid of his own shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'd be of the opinion that Gibbs, Arteta and Campbell are weak links. Don't like saying it, but they are.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that Gibbs, Arteta and Campbell are weak links. Don't like saying it, but they are.

Gibbs might be a good sub as he proved against Spurs but as a starter he offers nothing. Arteta's day was done quite some time ago. The emergence of Coquelin has more or less proved his. Campbell just isn't good enough.

We need Rambo, Jack, Welbeck, Coquelin back soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Fair play to Leicester, top of the league for a week at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Gibbs and Campbell are just so, so far behind the rest of our midfield. I hate seeing them in our starting XI. Campbell especially for me just won't do if we want to win the league. To think he's pretty much the same age as Hazard/Coutinho/KDB says it all. I just don't buy the idea of him turning to gold all of a sudden.

In fairness to Wenger he didn't start Arteta and we can't blame him for Coq getting injured/Cazorla missing the penalty. This loss was down to the players.

Gibbs and Campbell are just so, so far behind the rest of our midfield. I hate seeing them in our starting XI. Campbell especially for me just won't do if we want to win the league. To think he's pretty much the same age as Hazard/Coutinho/KDB says it all. I just don't buy the idea of him turning to gold all of a sudden.

In fairness to Wenger he didn't start Arteta and we can't blame him for Coq getting injured/Cazorla missing the penalty. This loss was down to the players.

Gibbs is our backup LB? There was a long period where Monreal was rubbish and people weren't complaining about Gibbs. Now Monreal has been awesome and everyone wants to hate on Gibbs. I'm not even a huge fan of his, but I don't see why he gets all the grief, especially today when he was forced to play in the position he was.

Campbell to me is just a nondescript squad player. Can plug a hole and that's about it. Injuries are the only reason he's around, but I can see the likes of The Jeff, Iwobi, and some of the other youngsters jumping him in the not-too-distant future.

Gibbs is our backup LB? There was a long period where Monreal was rubbish and people weren't complaining about Gibbs. Now Monreal has been awesome and everyone wants to hate on Gibbs. I'm not even a huge fan of his, but I don't see why he gets all the grief, especially today when he was forced to play in the position he was.

Campbell to me is just a nondescript squad player. Can plug a hole and that's about it. Injuries are the only reason he's around, but I can see the likes of The Jeff, Iwobi, and some of the other youngsters jumping him in the not-too-distant future.

Monrael improved, Gibbs didn't.

Monrael improved, Gibbs didn't.

My point is that nobody was complaining about Gibbs when he was ahead of Monreal. Everyone was complaining about Monreal. Now that Monreal has been playing well, all of a sudden Gibbs is absolute muck?

To make a point, Bellerin didn't play well today, but if Gibbs had played like him, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

My point is that nobody was complaining about Gibbs when he was ahead of Monreal. Everyone was complaining about Monreal. Now that Monreal has been playing well, all of a sudden Gibbs is absolute muck?

I was. I never rated him. Plus he's cowardly and ducks out of tackles, headers etc and can't cross to save his life. No time for that kind of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So much for this new fitness coach making no outfield signing of a player in the summer ok.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    So much for this new fitness coach making no outfield signing of a player in the summer ok.

Shad's injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We need them players too

I wanted a DM in summer but I thought arteta and flamini could do job if needed, Wenger obivoulsy thought so too

We now no they can't so it must be addressed in January and if it's not Wenger is playing with fire

I thought it was painfully obvious that we needed a player to compete/provide cover for Coquelin. Arteta and Flamini are nowhere near good enough and we knew that in the summer. Is complete negligence by Wenger not to have got somebody in with money just lying there in the bank.

It was the same last season when he only had 3 centre backs which cost us in the first half of the season and then brought in Gabriel when the damage (league challenge over) was already done. Let's hope the same mistake won't cost us again. Wenger was already playing with fire, Arteta and Flamini, Cleary not good enough anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow, Arteta comes off the bench and we concede 2 goals to 1 shot on target.

He simply cannot play.

Any word on Coq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Any word on Coq?

Worse injury than Arteta. I'm guessing knee ligaments.

I actually think Flamini can do a job for the next few games though.

We need the others back. Ramsey, Wilshire, Walcott etc.

It's not there yet but this is turning into every other season.

We need to buck the trend by putting in consistent results and getting some players back.

gosplan wrote: »
    Worse injury than Arteta. I'm guessing knee ligaments.

I actually think Flamini can do a job for the next few games though.

We need the others back. Ramsey, Wilshire, Walcott etc.

It's not there yet but this is turning into every other season.

We need to buck the trend by putting in consistent results and getting some players back.

Wenger now has a big decision to make in January.
    He will have to pay more than he would have last summer too if we're to continue our challenge.
    Let's hope he realises his mistake now and has the balls to fix it.
    An injury to Flamini now and we're in very serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I can't believe how much damage these injuries are doing. I know we always ALWAYS have this, but this year we have, if fully fit, the best team in the league. It's there for the taking. It's so frustrating.

Talk of buying more players for the squad (while fair enough, let's not get into it), is all well and good, but we're talking about getting a top quality third or fourth choice right mid. It's mental.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I can't believe how much damage these injuries are doing. I know we always ALWAYS have this, but this year we have, if fully fit, the best team in the league. It's there for the taking. It's so frustrating.

Talk of buying more players for the squad (while fair enough, let's not get into it), is all well and good, but we're talking about getting a top quality third or fourth choice right mid. It's mental.

I'm talking about getting a very good DM as back-up and competition for Coquelin.
    Flamini and Arteta are on their last legs and have been for some time now.
    It should have been done in the summer and most of us knew this.

I'm talking about getting a very good DM as back-up and competition for Coquelin.
    Flamini and Arteta are on their last legs and have been for some time now.
    It should have been done in the summer and most of us knew this.

Yep, but unfortunately for a 'very good' DM who is on a level that can compete with Le Coq, you're looking at £20-25m for someone who sits on the bench, ruling out anyone who has their eye on Euros. I'm sure there are players out there, but I would say options are pretty limited.

I still think the need for an amazing DM is overrated. Coquelin is great, but really it's just a position which requires discipline. Flamini could be perfectly adequate if he didn't go walkabout.

Yep, but unfortunately for a 'very good' DM who is on a level that can compete with Le Coq, you're looking at £20-25m for someone who sits on the bench, ruling out anyone who has their eye on Euros. I'm sure there are players out there, but I would say options are pretty limited.

I still think the need for an amazing DM is overrated. Coquelin is great, but really it's just a position which requires discipline. Flamini could be perfectly adequate if he didn't go walkabout.

Flamini should have been on instead of Arteta today too when Coq was injured.
    Can't understand the thinking behind that substitution at all.

Flamini should have been on instead of Arteta today too when Coq was injured.
    Can't understand the thinking behind that substitution at all.

Really makes you wonder what goes on behind the scenes. Must be hard when your club captain is nowhere near the starting 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Campbell should have been taken out the back and shot.

He's so raw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement