Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Wenger on his options for right side...

"On his right-sided options at Swansea…

Campbell and Alex Iwobi. Santi can play there as well but he has become very important centrally. The problem sometimes is that you can destroy two departments if you move one player out. We control the ball better with Santi in the middle."

He is right. Coquelin and Cazorla simply must stay together in the middle as they are one of the most important parts of our game, especially when we sit back and hit on the counter as Cazorlas switch over of play and then pass to Ozil or direct to the wingers is something that we need. If we put Cazorla on the right this means Flamini in the middle. While he has score 2 goals that is all that he has done. His positional sense is non existent, passing is weak and as a break up player he does not do that well enough either.

I would be happy with Campbell on the right. To me he was one of the best players in the Sheffield game and even if he won't do as much going forward he still has that industrious side to him in tracking back and putting himself about similar to Ramsey, therefore keeping the balance of the team. I really think he is not as bad as people make him out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Double post.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Campbell is a hard worker, and that is something that is needed if he's to help cover Bellerin while he bombs forward. I don't think he has too much in the way of quality but I'm hoping the rest of the team will make up for that.

The biggest downside to the injuries is we have no alternative to Giroud, while he's in good form it's good to be able to swap him out for Walcott or vise versa if either of them aren't working out in a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Good Read about Fran Merida...One of so many footballers being impatient and never reaching their full potential...

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/fran-merida-exclusive-interview-former-152132239.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good Read about Fran Merida...One of so many footballers being impatient and never reaching their full potential...

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/fran-merida-exclusive-interview-former-152132239.html
    Take him back, he can play on the right :pac:

On a serious note though that interview does to show that there is a lot more to football than statistics and mathematical equations. Behind everything are people with real emotions. This is far too often overlooked in football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Quazzie wrote: »
    Take him back, he can play on the right :pac:

On a serious note though that interview does to show that there is a lot more to football than statistics and mathematical equations. Behind everything are people with real emotions. This is far too often overlooked in football

Football overlooks a facet of itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

????

Anyway to get pedantic, no.

Football does not do the overlooking. It's a facet of football that is overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't care how hard a worker a player is, if they can't cut it, they can't cut it, but sticking in Campbell in Ox's role is the least worst option imho, it's not as if Ox was setting the place alight himself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

efb wrote: »
    I don't care how hard a worker a player is, if they can't cut it, they can't cut it, but sticking in Campbell in Ox's role is the least worst option imho, it's not as if Ox was setting the place alight himself...

Chamberlain did a job there and that's all we need out of Campbell as well until theo, Ramsey or the Ox are back. It's no big deal as long as Campbell keeps up his defensive duties.

• Advertisement

Could Campbell become the Coquelin of this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Honestly I'd settle for the Campbell from the World Cup.

No.

A run of games could change an awful lot. I won't rule him out yet.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Honestly I'd settle for the Campbell from the World Cup.

He was great in the world cup, I think he just needs a solid performance to boost his confidence and we could see him come into himself. I was shocked by how bad he was against Wednesday but I've always wanted him to prove we was good enough for Arsenal.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He was great in the world cup, I think he just needs a solid performance to boost his confidence and we could see him come into himself. I was shocked by how bad he was against Wednesday but I've always wanted him to prove we was good enough for Arsenal.

I wouldn't judge him too much by yesterday's game. Yeah he was poor enough but look at who he was playing with. He didn't really have anybody to play off.

He was being played in the centre if i recall so it wasn't his natural position. I'd say when he has a full squad around him he'll look a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Quazzie wrote: »

It also shows young players need to have a little patience and don't believe their own hype. I think that was Merida's problem, he wanted everything given to him straight away instead of biding his time (he even admits it himself). The same thing happened with David Bentley, who started to believe his own hype and look how his career planned out.

To be fair, most of our youngsters have their feet on the ground.

Looper007 wrote: »
    It also shows young players need to have a little patience and don't believe their own hype. I think that was Merida's problem, he wanted everything given to him straight away instead of biding his time (he even admits it himself). The same thing happened with David Bentley, who started to believe his own hype and look how his career planned out.

To be fair, most of our youngsters have their feet on the ground.

Bentley hated working at football. The professional side didn't suit him at all.

He basically fell out of love with the game once he was required to be very serious about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Interesting graphic ahead of this weekends fixtures:

https://twitter.com/PA_dugout/status/659791923532529664

gosplan wrote: »
    Bentley hated working at football. The professional side didn't suit him at all.

He basically fell out of love with the game once he was required to be very serious about it.

He's more of a GAA man these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

marvin80 wrote: »
    Interesting graphic ahead of this weekends fixtures:

https://twitter.com/PA_dugout/status/659791923532529664

I wanna see those across the bridge in bottom three...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Campbell was far from being the worst player on the field the other night.
    He gets stuck in and is not afraid to tackle and track back unlike a lot of others.
    He could work out quite well with a few matches under his belt.
    I wouldn't write him off just yet. He was brilliant in his role in the World Cup and showed that he can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Barnsley's manager has been singing the praises of Crowley saying he's the most talented 18yr old he's ever seen that and the amount of appearances he made for them suggest it's nothing to do with him being terrible anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tomorrow we seek out 2,000 th goal in all competitions under Wenger.
    Any predictions on who will get it?
    I'm going for Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Tomorrow we seek out 2,000 th goal in all competitions under Wenger.
    Any predictions on who will get it?
    I'm going for Sanchez.

Probably Owen Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A long kick out from Cech. With his right foot. Which then hits a beachball and goes in. Off a streaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kirby wrote: »
    A long kick out from Cech. With his right foot. Which then hits a beachball and goes in. Off a streaker.

For EFB's sake the streaker is Olivier Giroud

I've never been impressed with Campbell....has he ever done anything good while on loan? I can remember him playing one good match in the World Cup, was he good for the whole thing?

In any case, I'd be happy if he proves me wrong. He can't really be any worse than the Ox has been lately.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've never been impressed with Campbell....has he ever done anything good while on loan? I can remember him playing one good match in the World Cup, was he good for the whole thing?

In any case, I'd be happy if he proves me wrong. He can't really be any worse than the Ox has been lately.

He was good at Olympiacos and with Costa Rica.
    Maybe he just needs time in the starting 11.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »

Scored a cracker against united in the champions league, definitely has a finish in him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

So Barnsley's manager has been singing the praises of Crowley saying he's the most talented 18yr old he's ever seen that and the amount of appearances he made for them suggest it's nothing to do with him being terrible anyway.

It's amazing how quick the press are to change their tune these days... after being derided in some corners of the press for not being able to make the grade at League One, he's now being lauded by some as a potential England player. It's a f***ing joke. Does anyone bother to do any basic research these days before putting a story up online?

It's amazing how quick the press are to change their tune these days... after being derided in some corners of the press for not being able to make the grade at League One, he's now being lauded by some as a potential England player. It's a f***ing joke. Does anyone bother to do any basic research these days before putting a story up online?

I think both have elements of truth in them. No doubting his skill and ability on the ball. From the looks of him though he is still very slight in stature. Does he have the work rate and fight needed for a team struggling against relegation at the bottom of league 1?

greendom wrote: »
    Does he have the work rate and fight needed for a team struggling against relegation at the bottom of league 1?

Ask a Barnsley fan. All comments I've seen from them about Crowley on the various articles about the recall were extremely positive.

Ask a Barnsley fan. All comments I've seen from them about Crowley on the various articles about the recall were extremely positive.

out of curiosity I went to this forum www.barnsleyfc.org.uk and found very little positivity about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think both have elements of truth in them. No doubting his skill and ability on the ball. From the looks of him though he is still very slight in stature. Does he have the work rate and fight needed for a team struggling against relegation at the bottom of league 1?

Its not an easy ask at 18 being sent to a struggling league 1 side. I wouldnt read too much into his performance positive or negative.

At 18 its not an ideal place to go but Arsene obviously thought the toughness of it would develop him.

• Advertisement

out of curiosity I went to this forum www.barnsleyfc.org.uk and found very little positivity about him.

Well, from my own reading, the majority seem to think he's hugely talented, just a bit young and naive, trying to do too much on his own. Overall they seemed positive about him as a player, but happy to see him leave the club because he's not what their squad needs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I just hope that Campbell will improve and play better with better players around him

Wenger bugging him up in his interviews, this is Campbell's chance probably his only chance I hope he takes it

I just hope that Campbell will improve and play better with better players around him

Wenger bugging him up in his interviews, this is Campbell's chance probably his only chance I hope he takes it

Yeah, tis funny. As bad as the injury crisis was last year, it gave us Bellerin and Coq.

A little layoff for Ox and Rambo totally worth it if we get another world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I must be losing the plot there... Could have sworn I saw Robert Pires training with the team there!!! I know the injuries are piling up, but that's ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

emmetlego wrote: »
    I must be losing the plot there... Could have sworn I saw Robert Pires training with the team there!!! I know the injuries are piling up, but that's ridiculous!

He's been training with us since he finished in India I think it was. Should have played him against SW

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

emmetlego wrote: »

Pretty sure he does, just for fitness. Think Beckham used to as well.

One of the comments underneath is very relevant though: "Why would you practice rugby when our players are made of glass?"

CatInABox wrote: »
    Pretty sure he does, just for fitness. Think Beckham used to as well.

One of the comments underneath is very relevant though: "Why would you practice rugby when our players are made of glass?"

they were kicking and passing tbf...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

they were kicking and passing tbf...

Ah, it was a joke. Should have put a smiley face on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Funny vid, Arsene seems to have a nice spiral kick on him, skip pass from Chambers, improv from Santi, what would you expect.

Think Campbell will do fine, seems to have good work rate, hopefully he can link up a bit with Bellerin down the flank. Its not ideal but its not the end of the world either.

Nice vid, hadn't seen that before.

Will watch the first half of the Arsenal match before the RWC final. Feel sick waiting for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Walcott out for five weeks according to the Telegraph. The role Giroud had was suiting him. Dont want to go back to him as our main striker for an extended period. We will definitely need to invest in January as the squad looks very short now with the injuries.

Walcott out for five weeks according to the Telegraph. The role Giroud had was suiting him. Dont want to go back to him as our main striker for an extended period. We will definitely need to invest in January as the squad looks very short now with the injuries.

Investing in Jan really tough.

You basically can't get any decent European international to move 6 months before Euros.

We're done for the season I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gosplan wrote: »
    Investing in Jan really tough.

You basically can't get any decent European international to move 6 months before Euros.

We're done for the season I'd say.

Then we definitely wont last the pace with all the sick notes in the squad imo. january is hard but hopefully Wenger has learned his lesson. His January transfer window a few years back cost us a genuine shot at the title. A Gabriel/Monreal type signing would be immense.

Oh we're on Sellotanta today! Never good!!!

Pat Dolan in the MDF studio

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement