Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

List please... 20 DM's who are better than Arteta and Flamini and available and cost less than 2 Million, preferably French.

can we tempt Vieira out of retirement?

List please... 20 DM's who are better than Arteta and Flamini and available and cost less than 2 Million, preferably French.
    Is French-speaking acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Reports saying Le Coq is out for 3 months.

Disaster.

If that is true then his season is basically over, wouldnt be back untill March and thats provided that there are no setbacks. And we all know as Arsenal fans that 3 months is normally = 5 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Is French-speaking acceptable?

Only If It Is of exceptional quality.

Only If It Is of exceptional quality.
    Like a new signing?

Like a new signing?

Wenger Knows Best ‏@wengerknowsbest 19m19 minutes ago
    Well yes, I must say Jon Toral is playing exceptionally well on loan at Birmingham. Might he be the new Coquelin? I don't know Toral.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Two months at least says Wenger according to Arsenal's twitter.

Wenger on injuries: "I must say we have been hit very hard in November. We have lost a few players." #AFCvZAG

The boss on the previous #AFCvZAG fixture: "We were unlucky on the day as we played with ten men but we should have got a better result."

The boss on Coquelin: "I'm always cautious. It will be at least two months but I don't want to speculate more than that." #AFCvZAG

TEAM NEWS: "Coquelin and @m8arteta are out. @aaronramsey is available." #AFCvZAG

The boss on the Champions League: "The players like to compete at the top. We have the ability in the squad to do that."

Wenger on #AFCvZAG: "We got caught on the counter attack and at a set piece. Let's focus on what we can do."

.@Mertesacker on the Champions League: "There is a chance and we want to take it seriously."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The news on Coquelin is a massive blow, he's been our best player this season along with Nacho and Ozil. When is Wilshere due back? He's more than capable of doing a job at Cdm imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The news on Coquelin is a massive blow, he's been our best player this season along with Nacho and Ozil. When is Wilshere due back? He's more than capable of doing a job at Cdm imo.

Physio Room says 13th Dec 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Its a huge blow no doubt, it will be up to Flamini now but he won't be able for every game. After that, maybe some kind of partnership of Wilshere/Santi/Ramsey/Ox. Don't think the Ox has the discipline at all for a deeper role though.

If we could click again up front it would help also. When we go ahead, we can find more space in our attacks. Would be in favour of Walcott or the Ox coming in on the RHS with Ramsey going back into MF perhaps, we can get up the field a bit quicker then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

At least 2 months for Coq. Massive blow

The good news is Ramsey is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

shano_88 wrote: »

Thanks. In other breaking news, the Chilean miners have been freed!

Edit: Sorry, I'm in a smart ass mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's what Wenger does next that counts.

People wanted ANY upgrade on Arteta and Flamini but I don't buy that for a position that's nailed down. We were fine for DMF going into the season.

However what happens now is where we've always gone wrong.

If it is a few months, then Wenger needs to forget that Coq exists and spend whatever it takes to get the best DMF in the window. Historically, this is where we make do or shuffle people around. However a team with chanpionship aspirations wouldn't do that. Overspend now and deal with the selection headache later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

Am I the only one who thought Kallstrom was actually pretty good when he eventually played for us?

ronjo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought Kallstrom was actually pretty good when he eventually played for us?

Not on your own, I thought he was decent and often very good. Just didn't see enough of him!

gosplan wrote: »

People wanted ANY upgrade on Arteta and Flamini but I don't buy that for a position that's nailed down. We were fine for DMF going into the season.

If it is a few months, then Wenger needs to forget that Coq exists and spend whatever it takes to get the best DMF in the window. Historically, this is where we make do or shuffle people around. However a team with chanpionship aspirations wouldn't do that. Overspend now and deal with the selection headache later.

Hinted at Chambers getting a chance at dmf today pressers according to Arseblog. Not sure how keen I would be on that but I guess this time last year, Coq wasn't even a squad player for us so things can change very quickly.

It's apparent now that Arteta can't be relied upon which is disappointing so I really can't see how we don't purchase a defensive midfielder in January. I agree, forget about the money, pay the extra premium because the league is wide open this year and one really good acquisition in January could be the difference.

ronjo wrote: »

I think it's the fact that we signed him to cover injuries and he was injured for the period we actually need him. Was a really poor signing.

Not his fault of course and he done fine in the few games he played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

There is enough DM's out there that we should def make a signing in January

No excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

No excuses

Surely the majority of fans must know by now that Wenger will gamble on coq coming back in mid jan / early Feb. There's no way he'll buy a DM to plug that gap.

However coq may/will not be back until it's too late and we'll have squandered the best chance in years to win the league.

I'm being negative I know but this has happened so many times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hinted at Chambers getting a chance at dmf today pressers according to Arseblog. Not sure how keen I would be on that but I guess this time last year, Coq wasn't even a squad player for us so things can change very quickly.

It's apparent now that Arteta can't be relied upon which is disappointing so I really can't see how we don't purchase a defensive midfielder in January. I agree, forget about the money, pay the extra premium because the league is wide open this year and one really good acquisition in January could be the difference.

I would be very concern having Chambers there, as he has never been tried before.
    Has he played as DM at Southampton?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I would be very concern having Chambers there, as he has never been tried before.

He's played there once or twice for us and didn't perform very well. I don't know about Southampton but I don't think so. Might have played there in reserve games I guess.

I'd have the same reservations but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Irish Aris wrote: »

He played there last season and it was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No excuses

There were plenty in the summer. I'll be surprised if we see anyone come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »

We were not fine at all.
    Flamini cannot play every game as back-up for Coq.
    Arteta should have been released/sold in the summer. He can't run at all now and is clearly past it. Sat was the final nail.
    The rest of your post i agree with.

In the summer, I was fine with no DM (although would have taken one). Over the course of the season, it has become clear that Arteta doesn't cut it, and Flamini can do a job, but that's about it.

Probably more chance of a DM than a striker in the January transfer window.

Only positive ( I no I no) is Ramsey back in middle where he will get goals and for me is our best midfielder

Pair him up with either Wilshere who wants to move back to a deep lying roll and buy somebody that works well with Ramsey's skill set

And I think we will be sorted

Only positive ( I no I no) is Ramsey back in middle where he will get goals and for me is our best midfielder

Pair him up with either Wilshere who wants to move back to a deep lying roll and buy somebody that works well with Ramsey's skill set

And I think we will be sorted

Wenger talking about playing Chambers as a DM tomorrow night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That's the last thing we need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd like to see him play there.
    He has all the attributes to be decent there. Pace,Strength,Defending and has decent enough feet.

He was ****e against Southampton but that was one match so it's not really fair to write him off just yet.

He needs to talk him up good chance we will need him
    There at some stage between now and Jan

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'd like to see him play there.
    He has all the attributes to be decent there. Pace,Strength,Defending and has decent enough feet.

He was ****e against Southampton but that was one match so it's not really fair to write him off just yet.

Well if he's s**** again tomorrow night we'd be out of the EPL.
    Maybe try him in a home game against a team near the bottom for a half-hour or so at a time when we're on top. Ease him into it.

Fools rush in ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well if he's s**** again tomorrow night we'd be out of the EPL.
    Maybe try him in a home game against a team near the bottom for a half-hour or so at a time when we're on top. Ease him into it.

Fools rush in ....

I'd rather him be played tomorrow than in a league match. If we lose tomorrow then we're out. The damage was done ages ago so if we lose i won't have a huge impact compared to the league.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'd rather him be played tomorrow than in a league match. If we lose tomorrow then we're out. The damage was done ages ago so if we lose i won't have a huge impact compared to the league.

I wouldn't mind either but it seems to be a big thing to stay in the CL.
    I feel that we never have a strong enough panel to win it anyway so what's the use?

You never know how things will work out. One good performance from Chambers at DM could see him build confidence and push on ala Coquelin.

It's far from ideal but who knows, he could step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

You never know how things will work out. One good performance from Chambers at DM could see him build confidence and push on ala Coquelin.

It's far from ideal but who knows, he could step up.

Was thinking this myself.

Then I slapped myself in the face for getting sucked in again.

And then I started thinking it again.

Sigh.

Ah, come on lads, we'll bait these Dynamo heads. Defo.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was thinking this myself.

Ah, come on lads, we'll bait these Dynamo heads. Defo.

I sincerely hope so!!!

I'll do more than self-face-slap if we don't!!! Good to see Aaron back really.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I sincerely hope so!!!

I'll do more than self-face-slap if we don't!!! Good to see Aaron back really.

It's hard to know why Ramsey didn't come on against WBA.
    How much difference can 3 extra days make?
    Hope he's not rusty as he usually is when he returns. Takes a couple of games to get into it.

Hope he's not rusty as he usually is when he returns. Takes a couple of games to get into it.

The extra few days can make a big difference believe it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Do you think he'll start against Zagreb? I'm all for keeping Champions League hopes alive, but a lot of our players need a break, so I wouldn't mind seeing a sub-par Arsenal team, excluding Sanchez, Koscielny, Ramsey and maybe one or two others. It's bloody Zagreb like!

Do you think he'll start against Zagreb? I'm all for keeping Champions League hopes alive, but a lot of our players need a break, so I wouldn't mind seeing a sub-par Arsenal team, excluding Sanchez, Koscielny, Ramsey and maybe one or two others. It's bloody Zagreb like!

Can't really see Ramsey starting. Last 20 mins. Flamini will start or maybe even Chambers as Wenger hinted at. It all depends on how Wenger feels about this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Chambers starts ahead of Flamini can we all come to the mutual acceptance that Flamini is clearly not acceptable back up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would a draw *cough cough* be enough to finish bottom? Winning tomorrow (assuming Bayern beat Olympiakos too) means we will have to win in Greece on the final day which is a very tall order
    If we make the Europa league then we're fcuked as we dont have the squad numbers for a decent run in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Only team in top 10 not to have won it!

CUftvfVWcAA3nC-.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Did you see after Wenger discussed doping controls, which are a joke in football, ten UEFA testers turned up at Colney to test the team. You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    Would a draw *cough cough* be enough to finish bottom? Winning tomorrow (assuming Bayern beat Olympiakos too) means we will have to win in Greece on the final day which is a very tall order
    If we make the Europa league then we're fcuked as we dont have the squad numbers for a decent run in that

Yes Sheffield Weds showed that our squad is not good enough

greendom wrote: »
    Yes Sheffield Weds showed that our squad is not good enough

That match showed that the Wednesday team on that night played better than the arsenal team did.

The team arsenal put out should have been good enough to win.

Not sure about Chambers at DM, does he have the close control or quickness of thinking required? Could see him getting caught out a few times. It will be Flamini most of the time, with some sort of double pivot when he cant play.

I'll guess the team.

Cech
    Bellerin Gabriel Mert Monreal
    Ramsey Flamini Cazorla Alexis
    Ozil Giroud

Ramsey and Gabriel the only calls I think, maybe he might go with Campbell.

I wonder would Gnabry have been better than Campbell for us.

• Advertisement

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Not sure about Chambers at DM, does he have the close control or quickness of thinking required? Could see him getting caught out a few times. It will be Flamini most of the time, with some sort of double pivot when he cant play.

I'll guess the team.

Cech
    Bellerin Gabriel Mert Monreal
    Ramsey Flamini Cazorla Alexis
    Ozil Giroud

Ramsey and Gabriel the only calls I think, maybe he might go with Campbell.

I wonder would Gnabry have been better than Campbell for us.
    I would be better than Campbell for us...:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement